Options

5k Training

Comments

• Options

Also, I forgot to say this too - isn't racing addictive?! I felt AWFUL crossing the finishing line yesterday, to the point that I didn't even feel good that I'd done it, but today, the memory of how bad I felt has faded a bit, and I'm signing up for another 10k for mid-November.

Why do we do this to ourselves?!

• Options

I've convinced myself to buy a bike lol! hopefully will arrive today, I'm like a kid at Christmas!

It's definitely addictive, if you'd told me when I struggled through my first Parkrun in July that I would have ran a 10k race, ran 13.5k just for the hell of it, and be considering entering an adventure race, I would have questioned your sanity.  (I've been questioning my own sanity recently! lol)

I've ben feeling a little off the past couple of days, still plan to take my new toy for a spin tonight up to the rugby club and do some running around.  Another interval session maybe.

• Options

Hadn't done anything this week due to some kind of mild illness, it left me low on energy, and since I have been training quite hard (for me!) that last while, I thought I'd listen to my body and give myself a break.

Felt like myslef again last night so had to take advantage of the weather and get out there.  Accoring to MiCoach my run was:

Distance:7.76k

Average Pace: 6:40 min/per/k

Total Ascent:57m

Fastest K:5:34 min/per/k

Definitely a little too fast, especially considering I was tinkering with my phone for a minute or so trying to secure it before I actually started running.

• Options
    I haven't done anything for a week due to a lack of motivation and low energy levels. Felt better last night, so went out with the club. Got to around mile 3 at then died. My head was pounding, mouth was all mucousy and stomach started to feel bad. I had to cut my run short and head back to collect my bike(unfortunately, this meant running back past my house to go get my bike) and head home. Still managed to do 4 to 5 miles and a couple of miles on the bike.

Lauren, I've also found that the times I have felt the worst afterwards in general put me on the biggest high and make me wanna race again.

What bike have you gone for JLB? MTB or Road?
  • Options

Maybe a club night wasn't the best way back into it, I don't know how they operate but is someone else deciding where to run and how fast? 

Even though I was feeling a little sick, after a couple of days of inactivity I was worried I'd slip into a lazy rut.  It's great that you have broken the seal and went out again, even if it didn't go to plan, but if your still feeling ill definitely take it easy.

I went for a MTB, I want to be able to do a bit of everything.  I've got a short Duathlon I'm considering at the end of October and a possible adventure race late in November (once I learn how to ride again).  The bike has a rigid fork, I figured if I can't afford a decent hardtail there is no point paying for forks that are essentially for show and add weight.  this is the bike:

Vitus Vee-1 

• Options
    Jlb, what's the adventure race you're doing? I'm doing an obstacle race next week - its run by my British Military Fitness guys, and I think its between 10 and 12k through mud and water and smoke and over obstacles. I kind of forgot about it till yesterday, but its more for fun than trying to get a good time. My group of friends are dressing up as 118 image it'll be fun!

I'm also tentatively considering joining a running club. I know everyone has the same concerns, but I don't really feel like I'm good enough. I think I'll just have to take the plunge though and go along on Tuesday to see what its all about. They do long track intervals (like between 1 and 3k) which I figure can only help me in my quest for a faster 5k time! I've meter done long intervals like that, only 100m-400m. Will report back!

I'm thinking about parkrun tomorrow, but its currently 1:30am and I can't sleep (had a coffee, which I don't normally drink and it made me all jittery), so who knows if I'll make it out of bed in time!
  • Options

The race is:

Battle of Antrim

Should be a blast, but I need to get a couple of blasts on the bike under my belt, don't have a clue how I am going to train for the Kayaking, I just assume it will be ok lol.

You're military style obstacle course sounds good fun; a bit more interesting than pounding the streets.  You'll have to get some 118 photos up on your gallery lol.

I don't quite feel ready for joining a club, I just don't think I can commit to it at the moment.  If it gives you access to a track, at contact with people who have a lot of experience, it will definitelty improve your running.  Good luck.

Did either of you do Parkrun this week?  I was late, and had to run for about an extra 300m, still managed to clock just over 28:00 which is still good going for me.  It was a pity as I really wanted to go for my PB.  It will have to wait from a couple of weeks as I am climbing Sleive Binnian on Saturday.

• Options
    That adventure race looks like amazing fun! Think the kayaking might just be cross tour fingers and hope for the best! Maybe some shoulder strengthening? When I was on holiday, I kayaked a mile as part of a triathlon and it killed my left shoulder!

I did make it to parkrun, but it was hard going. 28.08 this week which is my slowest yet. However, my excuses are: it was roasting hot, I only had 4 hours sleep and it was only 6 days after my HM. I'll give it another go at the end of the month. What is your PB so far?

I'm still in two minds about this running club. I'm really nervous and kind of intimidated. I know they say they welcome people of all abilities, but I'm quite self conscious about how slow I am. Still, it is free for the first few goes, so I might as well try it. If I embarrass myself, I don't have to go back! I'd only he running by myself anyway, so I might as well do it properly.

I'll look into how I get photos up and see what I can do in the 118 pics!
  • Options

Well done on getting out there for the Parkrun anyway, the sun can be a real killer.  My PB is 27:37, I wasn't even trying to run fast that day, and didn't lift it at the end; I'm pretty confident I have a sub 27:00 run in me right now.

When I look at the results for my Parkrun there certainly seem to be club runners of all levels, does the club you are thinking of joining have people doing Parkrun?  It might be a confidence boost to check out the sort of PB's they have, I'm sure you'll be ahead of some.

• Options

Hey you two! I've been slacking off still, both on here and at running lol I missed the parkrun (again) and due to the rugby I didn't even go out by me image The rest of the weekend was taken up by painting a fence and sorting out folders and getting organised to start back properly at uni. I had the good intention of getting up yesterday morning to go out before I set off for uni. Set my alarm for half 5, then got woken up at 25 past by a teething lil man, resulting in me getting up with him instead of going out running. Gonna definitely go out tomorrow evening with the club as i need to get out of this mini slump before it does a big nosedive. I must admit, after a big sleep last night I feel much better and motivated again.

What distance is the adventure race Jlb? (I can't open the flyer for some reason) It sounds the same as the adventure race I have done before http://www.trailplus.com/adventure-challenge-series.php it was really good fun. I wouldn't worry about the kayaking as I was much fatter and unfit than I am now and I managed fine.

Lauren, I fully recommend going out with a running club, just make sure it suits your needs. I run with a club and I don't think I could manage a half marathon at the moment, yet you have and can. I'm sure they will welcome you and once you get going you will probably feel more embarrassed about how nervous and intimated you were when there was no need to be; I know I was lol. Plus, like you said, if you don't like it you can always not show up again.

• Options

Well, I thought I'd pop back in and update - up to about 5 minutes before I left, I was still not sure if I was going to go, but my boyfriend told me to stop being pathetic, so I went image SO glad I did! It was hard - a track session of 3000m hard, 1200 easy and 3000 hard again, and I fell to the back pretty quickly, haha - everyone else was SO fast!! Everyone was SUPER friendly though... I usually find it very hard to strike up conversation with people I don't know, but people came to me to chat. At the end, tons of people asked me how it was and they all said the first time is hardest and that nobody cares how fast or slow you are really because they're too busy concentrating on their own pace. Oh, they also said that the Tuesday track session is the hardest of all the sessions they do. I survived it!

I don't have to pay the membership for a few weeks anyway (and when I do, it's only £20 for the whole year), but I probably will do. Its probably worth it for the discounts alone.

I'm pretty confident that if I keep this up, I'll have the 25 minute 5k in the bag by Christmas. There, that's my target. Don't let me forget it.

• Options

Well done for going! you worry over things that you really shouldn't when it's a new situation, just like I did. Sounds like you did well too. What Club is it? I really wish I had a track that I could utilize.

I think we can remind you of your target haha

• Options

Well done Lauren, it makes me feel nauseous just thinking about that session! lol.

That adventure race you did Deadbox does look similar, the one i'm doing is:

10k run (broken up)

30k bike (broken up)

4k Kayak.

• Options

So I have had another day full of crap. Got 4 hrs kip last night, got stuck in traffic on the motorway, brain frazzled in uni and then the new car decided to keep cutting out on the way home image By the time I got the car looked at and sorted myself out I was too late to meet up with the running club.

However, as it started peeing it down I decided to just get out and lose myself whilst running in the rain; it felt brilliant! Did just shy of 4 mile in 36mins. I've decided I'm gonna take a few steps backwards and build myself up again, just take it steady for a few weeks until my brain has adjusted to being used properly again at uni (it's been a bit of a shock after 4 months off lol)

Jlb, is the bike you got a single speed? are you going to do 30k off-road on a single speed bike? if it is similar to the one I did you'll have loads of fun, even if it does hurt like hell during it image haha

• Options

You certainly having a time of it lately Deadbox, it's good that you managed to put in some miles in the end.  The thing I'm liking most about running is that you just set foot out of the door and you are away, no need to plan, or to get to such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time.  The main problem I find sometimes is that I end up deliberating longer about whether or not to go out, than I plan time I plan to run for.  Much better just to stick on my gear an go.

The bike is single speed, I haven't had it out much yet but I've already realised I need to put a lot of work in to cover the 30k.  According to the organiser the bike sections are a mix of track and trail, but nothing outside the capability of a hybrid MTB.  If it's hilly or really windy and the single speed becomes an issue, I'll just have to get off and walk.

No Parkrun for me this weekend as I am climbing Slieve Binnian on Saturday after the rugby.

Have a great weekend guys! 

• Options

Tell me about it lol I didn't do Parkrun this morning as the car was still in the garage, itching to get back and give it a blast, I wish there was one closer to me.

I did just that this evening, stuck my gear on and went out. Didn't plan a route, set my down timer for 20mins and ran. About 2 1/2mi out it went off, reset and tried to get back home quicker. Got back in 18min20ish secs. Felt really good again. Hopefully I'll be able to get another couple of sessions in during the week and then give that 25mins a crack next sat (well, as long as I can get there lol).

Fair play Jlb, I really wouldn't like to do that 30k on a single speed, I struggled when I had gears haha How did your climb go today?

• Options

Climb was good Deadbox, weather was really poor to start with, but it improved a lot by the time we got to the top, and the views were spectacular.  It was nearly a 5 hour slog, so some aches and pains today, might try and run it off later.

Did you have your BMF race this weekend Lauren?  How did you go?

• Options

Yes, I did the BMF race this weekend! I've just finished cleaning all the mud out of my flat actually. Good lord, it was muddy, and it seemed to just get everywhere! It wasn't like any race I've done before - it wasn't measured (although I'm told it was about 13k), there were no markers to tell you how far you'd gone or how far you still had to go (which was REALLY tough psychologically) and the hills and mud were just unbelievable!! There was one point where it was like swimming through a river of mud and I couldn't really get my footing - luckily there was an understanding man next to me who didn't mind me grabbing his arm image The water bits were so cold too - so getting out and trying to run was really painful because my legs were just like ice.

It was a bit slow, but I wasn't really racing it, just taking my time and enjoying (?!) the experience - every time I felt like walking, I walked - so I finished in about 1:43 in the end (absurdly slow for the distance, but it's not really comparable to a road race). I was last out of my group of friends, but 500ish out of about 800. So not bad. My legs are pretty heavy and sore today, especially the calves. I'm going to have a bath and then have a good roll on my foam roller. Ouch.

Went into London today to watch the Royal Parks half. I had a friend doing it, so went and stood at about 12 miles, and cheered like a lunatic when I saw her coming! She said after she was feeling really rough at that point and having someone cheering spurred her on. Also, tip from me - if you ever do a big race, get your name on your shirt! You'll definitely get people cheering for YOU specifically!

Last week was pretty good for training, I suppose - did the running club on Tuesday, and then Thursday did 5.5 miles by myself in just under 50 mins. I was SO tired when I got home, and I think it helped because my legs sort of carried me out the door without my brain doing anything to try to stop me. There was a lovely autumn chill in the air too which for me makes it SO much easier to run. I felt a genuine joy at being out and running, which I haven't had for a while. I'm going to see how I feel on Saturday and either do the parkrun if I'm feeling good about it, or an extra BMF session. Depends on the weather, a bit.

Glad you've both had good weekends. Deadbox, that sounds like a good way to train, doing the same route but second half faster. I might give that a go this week. Will either of you be parkrunning next week?

• Options
    Wow, you have been doing well on the race front Lauren. Sounds like this one was fun/agony, just the kind of thing I like haha. I too enjoy running when it's nice and fresh outside, I dislike the heat, much prefer running in the winter.
    It's a good session, I do it every couple of weeks or so. Keep a steady speed on the way out and then on the way back just keeping upping the pace. It's good cus you don't need a set route.

Jlb, a nice steady run might loosen off the legs.

Car is fixed, fingers crossed it will stay that way. If it does, I'm definitely gonna do the parkrun this Saturday coming.
  • Options

Sounds like a blast Lauren, really well done.  Most importantly did you dress up lol? 

I hope the car behaves itself for you Deadbox, I had to get 2 new tyres on Thursday, nearly £300!?  I had a swedish massage afterwards (fathers-day gift) to calm down from the shock.

I had a full slob on Sunday and barely lifted a finger, feeling guilty, need to get my butt in gear this week.  Parkrun is a possibity,  but I might have to turn out for the 4th XV on Saturday.

I hope this weeks workouts go well for you both.

• Options

Haha, yes, I did dress up (slightly), although after about 15 minutes, you couldn't tell because I was so very covered in mud! I had a moustache and everything. I have no idea if this link will work for you, but try this (most of the mud had dried by this point, but trust me that there was lots of it!): http://philoconnorphotographyltd.thirdlight.com/viewpicture.tlx?gsearchid=1318366000&pictureid=17043645

Just got back from my second club track session... it was a toughie again! 1600m to warm up (and it was a fast warm up!) and then 14x400m hard with 60 second recovery. I confess, I had to miss one of the reps because I couldn't get my breathing under control, but I was still very pleased to complete the 13. 5.2k in about 23 minutes, which is a MASSIVE improvement on my usual pace (although obviously a minute rest after every 400, but whatevs). Also, I didn't get quite so left behind this week, as there were 3 groups this week (I was in the slow group, of course) and obviously we stopped after every 400m so I had a chance to catch up.

Also, advice needed: I'm tempted to do a 10k on Sunday. It's within walking distance of my house, so I'd be done and home by 11:30. However, I really want to do myself justice on my next 10k, which was going to be on the 20th November and should be a fairly flat course. SO I'm not sure whether to wait for that one and get some really good training in during the next 5 weeks or do the one this weekend too, and have something to compare to, if that makes sense. I'm not sure what would be best, if I don't do as well as I want to this weekend, it's going to knock my confidence again.

The other thing going on is that I think I might be getting my asthma back (hence the trouble with breathing tonight). I used to have asthma when I was little, but I haven't had problems since I was about 10 at the most. My dad mentioned something to me about it last week after I complained about finding it hard to breathe in without coughing after a hard run, and since then, I've really noticed that I have to take a big gasp every now and again to have enough air. I have a doctor's appointment for Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to get that sorted. Maybe I should wait until I have that sorted before I race again.

Sorry, that turned out really long. What have you guys been up to so far this week?

• Options

Training has been good this week so far, especially considering the weather here in Beflast the last while.  My diet has been a horror-show over the past 7 days I'm afraid to say.

I managed to make you're link work, looks like a messy one alright, don't like to think about how cold it must have been in and out of the water, or was it not too bad? 

Regarding your 10k, do you know whether the course is flat (is the November one flat), personally I would stick to my original plan and go for a PB in the November run.  You could treat the Sundays 10k as a training run, do it for fun, is it expensive?

What are your 5k and 10k PBs?

I hope you get good news from the Doc regarding the asthma, it's probably something completely innocent.  Anyway, Paula Radcliffe suffers from asthma, and some would consider her to be not too bad a runner, so I wouldn't let it get you down.

Bike/run for an hour or so for me tonight, then an easy 5 miler tomorrow, looks like I am going to be required by the 4th XV on Saturday, so I'll have to wait another week to break the 27:00 Parkrun barrier.

• Options

Sounds like a good quality session there Lauren. I agree, maybe do both if you can but with a focus on the november one; give you more time on your feet to go for that Pb. Is your cough a dry cough or a mucousy one? If it's mucousy, you might be de-hydrated. Best to get it checked out anyway.

Think of the Rugby as a good Fertlek session Jlb haha did you get out for the bike/run?

I managed to get up and do a quick 2 miles on monday morning before uni. Last night I did 3mi steady with the dog at 65-70% HR in 31 mins. Dropped the dog back off at home and did the same 3mi loop again but quicker. Did the first mile at around 80% HR, the 2nd mile (which is a 1mi long steady climb) trying to keep at the same pace (HR increased quite a bit lol) and then pushed on as much as I could without dying in the last mile. Finished the 2nd 3mi loop in 26:12. Was really happy with the 2nd loop having already ran 3mi.

Fingers crossed i'm gonna make the parkrun this Saturday and gonna go for that sub 25min.

• Options

Deadbox, that's great to finish 3 miles in 26:12! I was planning on doing one of your workouts yesterday - 2 2.5 mile loops with the second lap faster than the first - but my Garmin gave up on me about 30 seconds in, so I tried to go by how it felt. I'm not the best judge of pace, but it felt hard and fast. Good luck with the parkrun tomorrow, fingers crossed for you!

Had my docs appointment today, and had the unexpected diagnosis of possible anaemia. I have to have a blood test next week to be sure though. I'm not sure if it's because I'm noticing the symptoms more since I've read about them, but other than the shortness of breath, I do tend to be tired, my nails are dry and horrible, my skin is generally itchy and uncomfortable... Like I say, it maybe because I'm looking for the symptoms though. We'll see. In the meantime, I did have an inhaler prescribed to see if it makes any difference. It hasn't so far.

I think I've decided against the 10k on Sunday - partly because my boyfriend reminded me I agreed to do a 5k charity fun run which starts at 11:30, so to fit the 10k in too, I'd HAVE to do it fast, then leap on my bike and get down to the 5k. Not sure my poor legs would cope with that! Nice, easy 7 miles tomorrow morning then we're going to practice our tennis skills in the afternoon. Can't wait! (And hope I'm still able to hit the ball over the net!!)

Have good weekends!!

• Options

Good job you went and saw the Dr then. At least if it's diagnosed you can get it sorted. Hope you start to feel better soon! My friend of mine found out she was anaemic when she went to give blood, she's all sorted now though.

Sounds like you have got another fun day tomorrow. I haven't played tennis for a couple years, think it's about time I did.

I once again missed the Parkrun as I gave the other half a lye-in as she was knackered yesterday. Not gonna be able to do it next week either as it's the day after my birthday (not gonna be in any fit state haha). So looks like I'm gonna have to aim for that sub 25 while I'm all dressed up for the Halloween run image

Tonight, I went and did a 3mi loop with the dog again. Then went out again and was aiming to do the 1mi loop around the corner 3 times. However, going into the final loop I went to hit 'new lap' on my phone and flung it across the pavement image I've only just fixed it too. So sulked and walked back with the bits of my phone. Managed to get it working again to find out I did 5mi in 50mins

• Options

Ah, Deadbox, what a good boy letting the other half sleep in! On the rare occasion my boyfriend wakes up beofre me, he can't stop bouncing around and demanding attention! Shame you missed the parkrun, but there are plenty more chances image (I was a little bit excited that you might do it this week too!)

Happy with my training this weekend. Finally managed to drag myself out of the house for my 7 miler and I ended up really enjoying it. I managed to stick just under 10min/mile which I'm really happy with, as I normally try to aim for that, but end up closer to 10:20min/mile. Then we played tennis for an hour and got a good 47-shot rally going. We had a go at a singles game, but despite my best efforts, my legs didn't really feel like moving properly, haha.

Then today we had the charity funrun and I came 4th (out of 9, and 3 of the girls got lost, so I'm not sure it was much of a victory really)! It was 5.5k and I finished in just over 30mins (9min/mile). It's a bit of a long explanation, but there was a much larger simultaneous run in Manchester and we were the London branch of it, hence why we were only a few.

I'm knackered now, so off to bed for an early night, I think!

• Options
    I am a good boy aren't I haha it's only fair, even tho I get up earlier throughout the week I only have to sort myself, she has to get up and get the 2 lads ready and up to do the school run etc. I was exited too, hopefully it means I can get a few more good sessions in and make sure I get that time.

Sounds like you have had another action packed week. I'd take the 4th, it's their fault they got lost lol

I'm just heading off to bed too. Hope to get up early and get a couple of mile in before I head off to uni.
  • Options
    I managed 27:25, my best yet yesterday.. I'll keep chipping away image
  • Options
    Working is Scotland, and under P at the moment, so will be in hiding for a few days!  Sry.  Good luck with the weeks training etc.
  • Options

TFI Friday is all I can say, really tough working week for me, haven't done much; a 30 minute run on Sunday, and a 30 minute run from my hotel on Monday (although this featured a 160ft climb over 0.4 of a mile lol).  TBH still feeling sore from last weekends rugby exploits, so not sure what I am capable of at Parkrun.  I'll see where I am after lap 1 and if PB is a possability I'll go for it.

Welcome WRXMANIA, you're just about at the same time as me (27:37), keep posting you're progress, we'll see which of us can get to that magic 25:00 first!

You putting us all to shame with you're running sessions Lauren, I think I've only had 1 week in the last 6 were I have managed to do all the runs I had planned.  Well done on the 4th place, we don't have to discuss (it doesn't matter that it was out of 9).

Are you going to make it to Parkrun this weekend Deadbox, I'm pretty sure you have that sub 25 in you if you can only get to the starting line.

Good luck tomorrow, weather looks like being cold, windy, and wet in Belfast; not ideal, but must get up and get out anyway.