5k Training

Comments

• Hey WRXMANIA, keep us posted on how you chip away that time.

Jlb, I've had one of those weeks too, had so much to do for uni that running took a back seat this week, only managed a short run on monday morning. As for the parkrun, I don't think it will happen this week as it's my birthday today (even tho I've spent the morning doing even more uni work image) which pretty much will rule out the chance of me getting out of bed tomorrow morning never mind running haha

Good luck with yours

• Haha, thanks - I just find that if I miss one session, its easier to miss others. I haven't done very well this week though - I missed running club simply because I couldn't be bothered to cycle there. I made myself go for a run anyway, so I did 4.5 miles. Then yesterday I was going to do 5 miles, but I got lost and a bit disheartened so I cut it off at 3 and went home.

Was planning on parkrun tomorrow, but I have a cycling lesson (how to avoid buses and lorries in London) which the teacher moved to 9am, so it'll have to wait till next week now. I'm going to do a very slow 9 miles instead.

Jlb, I always struggle to hold back in parkrun - even if I only want to do a tempo run, I can't help but race it! I say go all out for the PB... worst that can happen is you Wong go as fast as you wanted, right? Good luck and let us know how you go!

Deadbox - happy birthday! Hope you have some good celebrations tonight image

Wrx - welcome! Keep plugging away, you'll get there. Are you going to parkrun this weekend?
  • Thanks all.

Was out doing a 10k on Monday in horrible weather (62 mins), an 8k 8x400 sprints and done a really hard, very undulating 5k forest trail run. Can feel my fitness improving and hope to build my base mileage and core strength over the winter for half marathon in the spring. Also been to the gym twice this week!!! (should say I am actually away on holiday just now too!!).

Have a difficult hilly 10k around Arthur's Seat next Sunday and also doing the Mo Run in a few weeks (5k). Not going to make Parkrun this week but I will use that as my 5k benchmark over the next while. Ideal long term is sub 25 5k but that will be a while away I think.

Brian.
  • Oh yea, Happy Birthday Deadbox!  Did you ask for a Garmin lol?!  I might ask Santa for one.
  • How did everyone go (who made it to the starting line)?

I'm a little angry at myeself after this weekends effort, I was running a real steady just over 27:00 pace and then completely blew up with about a mile to go.  I walked for a while, but jogged in after some encouragement from the runners passing me and ended up with a 28:20.  If I'd just kept putting one foot in front of the other I might still have shaved a few seconds off my PB.  Dissapointed more from a mental point of view rather than a physical point of view.

• Hi Guys

Just been reading the thread and am inspired! I also tried to write on it earlier so sorry if it comes up twice.

I did a half marathon in September and for my sins, didnt really train anywhere near enough and struggled round to a time of 2:29. The day was such good fun though that I immediately signed up for the Bath one in March with a pact with a friend to get round in sub 2:00.

I've heard that getting your time down for 5k's is a really good way to help additional training so I hope you guys dont mind if I join you in your 25min challenge. I've never run a propper 5k before, only tracked it on my phone with a personal best of 27.35. I had never heard of parkrun before so just registered for my local one in Brockwell Park. Think I'm going to give it a go this Saturday.

Thanks for being inspiring and sorry for crashing your thread.

Rich

• Rich, welcome and see you there! I'm going to have another crack at it this week too. Your goals sound very similar to mine - I finished a half in Sept slower than I wanted and I'm doing another in March also aiming to get round in under 2hrs.

Jlb, don't worry about Saturday, just give it another go. Everyone has off days. I find the mental side tougher than the physical side a lot of the time, especially with shorter harder runs. I can plod for England as long as I need to, bit picking up the pace is hard. Do you think you pushed it too hard in the first 2 miles?
  • I didn't ask for the garmin lol did get a few running bits tho. Cheers for the birthday wishes, the whole weekend was a write off due to excessive amounts of alcohol and naughty food image gonna get back out tonight tho and aim to get back to the parkrun this weekend. Should be a fun weekend, parkrun, halloween and I've also signed up to participate in Movember, so I shall be shortly sporting a fine moustache lol

Jlb, just count it as an off day and don't get hung up on it, there is always this week image

Welcome to the fun Richard! you haven't crashed the thread at all, feel free to keep us updated on how you get on in training and with parkrun and aiming for that magical sub 25.

• Deadbox - I am organising Movember at work too image Will be interesting - can't say my wife thinks the same!

We need a Mo-vember running thread - is anyone else doing the Mo-running event?

Brian.
  • My boyfriend is growing a moustache. I inadvertently implied that I thought moustaches looked good, so now he's really excited about it. No offense to anyone with a tash, but I hate them, haha.

There's a Movember event in Battersea Park, might give it a go.
  • I didn't realise they are doing a running event too. My other half is finding rather extravagant 'tache's for me to sport, although I think they will be a bit too ambitious for my growing capabilities lol maybe you should start one (do we call you Brian or Wrx? Just out of curiosity)

Lauren, my mrs normally hates them (and my beard) but she seems to be more excited about me growing one than I am haha
  • Hi Deadbox,i reckon youll smash 25mins,your only 28 and 12yrs younger than me,i can run 5k in 21mins mate,and 10k PB in 43mins.how long you been running and what are your fitnes levels,the dark nights are here and i knocked out 4miles in 29mins lastnight.youll be OK.

• Cheers for the welcome guys. Done a couple of interval sessions this week so hoping for a pb on saturday. Is there usually somewhere to put a bag during the run or do most people carry them? Oh and as much as I would like to take part in mo-vember, it would become increasingly obvious that despite being 23, my face cant grow a full beared haha. Patchy central

Rich

• Brian it is then. There isn't one near me image, maybe I'll plan to do one next year.

Cheers for the support Finney, I'm sure i'll get there soon.

Richard, I usually drive as my nearest parkrun is 17mile away from me. Some people leave their bags at the volunteer table at the one I do. I suppose it depends on what you need to take with you? I only take my barcode, my car keys and my drink bottle. I leave everything in the car and use a few safety pins to pin my car key to my shirt while I run. If you can grow a moustache, that's all you need to be able to grow image failing that, get involved by donating or spreading the word about prostate and testicular cancer
  • Rich, I always leave my bag with the volunteers at the start. They take them round to the finish line and I pick it up at the end. Don't think anyone checks who takes what bag though, so don't take anything too valuable (I only really take mine because I need somewhere to put my bike lock while I'm cycling, and for a bottle of water for after). There are certainly some characters around that area. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!

I ran home from work tonight. I've been meaning to do it for ages, but always had an excuse. However, it is becoming increasingly easy to make excuses to not run when I get home from, so killing 2 birds with one stone. It only took about 20 minutes longer than my usual tube/train commute and it was quite enjoyable. A few really touristy areas where I got a bit frustrated, but overall it was nice. Its about 7 miles (and once I get my route sorted, it should be a little shorter, or if I want to go further, I can add in diversions) and I think I could really manage to do that at least once a week.

On the subject of Movember - I've been doing my best to get all the men in my life involved. Everyone at work said they'd only do it if I gave up all personal hygiene for a month (sorry, but no) but I got a load of the guys at BMF into the idea too. I promised I'd wear a stick-on moustache to every class in November if they did it. I haven't mentioned it to my dad yet, but I think I'd feel a bit weird about that as I've never seen him with any facial hair, haha. You'll have to get some photos on here, Deadbox, so we can see your progress image

As usual, I've rambled on for ages, sorry! Will report back on progress at parkrun on Saturday - I wasn't the slowest at running club on Tuesday (!!!) so feeling good about it!

• That's a good idea Lauren, running home from work. I'd run back from uni but it's 45 miles away lol I could always park further away and then run back to the car. Liking your idea about the fake moustache, you'll have to post a pic image

I'll keep you updated with the running and the moustache. I'm gonna do a photo diary.

Well done on not being last. Good luck with your parkrun
  • Well I Made it to the parkrun this morning. As I haven't been training much recently I took it steady, possibly too steady as I felt as if I still had loads to give after I finished.

Don't know what time I did yet, got a feeling I didn't push enough to break that 25mins. I'm dying for the results to go up
  • First parkrun under the belt! Didn't realise that Brockwell Park was quite hilly but was good fun nontheless.

Came in at 25:08 which is painfully close but pretty chuffed with the time. Next week that sub 25 mins is going down! 

Rich

• Well done Rich, that's a good effort. Now you know how it's all done I reckon you will get that time next week. You enjoy it then?

They still haven't put the times up, I keep refreshing the page haha I'm starting to think I shot myself in the foot by starting further back than I normally do.
  • Haha, Rich, not got far to go then! Now you know the route and how hilly it is, you'll be better prepared for next time. I came in at 26mins exactly, by my watch, so probably a couple of seconds over in the official results. VERY happy with that though, really pushed it the whole way round.

I've got 2 months to knock off that last sixty seconds, and I think its doable!
  • They are up!

24:59!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, couldn't have cut it closer haha image

Chuffed to bits
  • Yay, that's brilliant! Well done!
  • Sorry Lauren, I got all excited and forget to congratulate you too, oops! Isn't that quite a chunk of your previous pb? I reckon a few more weeks and you will be close to that 25mins
  • Yeah, my previous official parkrun PB was I think 26:40, although that was the week they had to change the route at short notice, so it was a bit longer than 5k. My actual watch time for 5k that week was 26:33, so I took off about 30 seconds, which is massive!

Also I was 10th lady today, whoo! There were only 28 of us though, lots of men today!
  • Congratulations both of you! That's awesome, pretty sure this thread is going to have to change it's name to the sub 20 mins 5k soon haha.

I really enjoyed the parkrun though, was good to get out and run with a load of other people and have a bit more purpose to a training run. Not to mention a free cake afterwards!.

I'm considering joining a club near me but not sure if im of a good enough standard yet to get involved. May email them and see the type of thing that they do.  How did you guys bridge the confidence issue? I'm quite a confident person but for some reason am quite nervous about going

Rich

• Ooo I've been missing all the excitement, well done Deadbox, first target ticket off.  For some reason I had the feeling that somebody would be breaking that 25 this week.

Congrats as well Lauren, you're making great strides (if you don't mind the pun), you've probably been working the hardest of all of us, so the 26:00 is weel deserved and I have no doubt you crack 25 by December.

Nice one Rich, looks like you need to re-assess you're goals straight away.  RE Running club, read back on Laurens post on this thread, she had the same doubts as you, but they were unfounded and seh seems to be getting something out of club running.  So with you on the free cake!

I'm being left behind a bit image, this week has been pretty much a wash-out training wise, I've been feeling a fair bit of pain in my knee all stemming from rugby a fortnight ago, so I've had my feet up.  I couldn't make Prakrun this week as I was in charge of the kids while wifey was a way on a girlie weekend.  I got out yesterday for 10k cycle-5K run, took about an hour, but was just glad to be active, and the knee seems fine today.

• Rich, I know what you mean about concerns with joining a club. I guess since Brockwell is your local parkrun too, you live reasonably close to me and there are a few decent looking running clubs in the area. I eventually went with the Clapham Chasers, and I'm hoping to start training with them more in the next couple of weeks. Especially around the Clapham area, there are a TON of clubs, and nearly all will let you go along for a few weeks for free to see how you like it.

I was worried too, but even though I am the slowest (if not at the start of the session, I'm at the back by the end), nobody cares and I always get a "well done" from the other members when I finish. It's nice image

I had a bit of a downer on myself on Sunday. It gets frustrating being so slow sometimes, I wish I was naturally a bit faster. One of my friends (who isn't a runner) said she went to a parkrun on Saturday and someone else asked her what her time was and she said "oh, really slow, I'm not a runner... it was about 24 minutes, I think". Which made me feel a bit like crap. I felt really bad about it on Sunday and my run was a struggle and not enjoyable as a result. I guess one positive is that in my BMF classes I'm not the slowest anymore (although still well towards the back), but people who don't even seem that fit end up ahead of me. They must cheat on the number of reps or something. Anyone else ever feel like that?

As always, I've rambled on for ages. I must stop doing that!

• I know how you feel Lauren, I told a friend of mine who lives in England about Parkrun about 6 weeks ago, he was a good all-round sportsman in his youth but has been pretty much inactive in the recent few years.  I was speaking to him again a week a ago and he'd just set a PB in his last Parkrun of 23:04! 

It's really important to keep in mind that your primarily racing against yourself and it's your personal goals that you should be concentrating on.  You're making great progress through hard work, whose to say that you won't be running sub 23 in 12 months while your friend may still be running 24s.

• I think Jlb is right on this one Lauren, you are racing against yourself. Just think how much you have improved since you joined this thread which was only a month or so ago and also how pleased you were on sat with your 26mins. Does that person do other sports? 

Richard, you should get yourself down to a club. There really is nothing to be worried about, I was the same when I went to the club for the first time and realised there was absolutely no reason to be. This was the same when Lauren wen't to hers for the first time.

I have not managed to get out so far this week. Been far too tired when getting back from uni which has been a bit crap after the high of last weeks parkrun. Gonna aim to get out tonight and sunday though as I need to start working towards that 23mins image 

And Lauren, I can't work out how to put pics up on here so here is a link to my movember page so you can see the before and after pics for the start of movember, will upload one in a couple of days of my first shaping of the tache haha http://uk.movember.com/mospace/1589228/ (hopefully that works)

Hope you have all had a good week of training?