5k Training

Comments

• Sounds like you made a good call there Ewan.

Oh no, is thaat a pb still Lauren? I've lost track of where everyone is. I think you've got it in you to do it at your usual course. Maybe try running without going for the sub 25? maybe you are psyching yoursef out, just run it relaxed and just keeping turning the legs over.

I feel loads better now, back is feeling good too! i'm planning on getting out tomorrow night for the first time in what feels like ages. Gonna slowy increase again and aim to get to a park run around new year to see where I am at.

• Thanks for the encouragement image I'm going to on Saturday and leave the Garmin at home, just run by feel/chasing people for a change. Think it'll be good to just keep pushing myself forwards without worrying about the numbers on my wrist.

Glad you're going to be able to get out soon! Hopefully you won't have lost too much fitness, just take it slowly and build it back up.
  • You'll probably find you won't tense up as much if you aren't thinkin about the time and the Garmin.

Finally got back out there tonight. 2.7mi in 24mins, just went out and took it steady. Felt ok when I got back, felt as if I could have gone on but didn't wanna risk it; back felt good too. Was a bit icy in places tho. Gonna get back out on sat morning as long as I don't have any adverse reactions.
  • I went out and did a 2 mile or so run/walk with my son this morning around the local woods;, we got rather muddy!

How did folks get on this morning? Did anyone get out?
  • Only just seen this thread now.

I first went under 20 minutes when I was 43 years old - my PB now is 19:22 and I'm looking to go sub 19 in 2012, so you CAN do it!

• En route to Bradford Park Run this morning and it came through on Twitter that they'd cancelled due to icy conditions so we made a quick decision and headed over to Hyde Park instead.

Went really well and I finished in 20:36. New PB and broke the 21 minute mark so really happy.
  • Good effort Ewan! Sub 20 is certainly within reach now. Sounds like it was a good call to switch events too. Are you doing any speed specific sessions?

How is everyone else doing? Everyone seems to have gone a bit quiet. I'm hoping to get a few miles in this week and aim to get to the Xmas eve parkrun
  • Cheers DB. Was pretty happy with that time. Can't see my progress continuing as well as it has been so far; would imagine that my times will start to plateau a bit.

Not doing any speed specific sessions at the moment but am going to add some tempo runs soon - some on treadmill, others on road - and some sprints. Going to do a race pace 10k later if the roads aren't icy.
  • Sorry for the silence, having a bad time of it, still suffering from the bad back. and had a bug last weekend which was really draining.  It feels like an age since I've done any exercise, new Garmin is still in its box, all very depressing.  I hope you are all doing well.
  • If you get start throwing in a speed session a week you shouldn't plateau anytime soon. Just make sure every 4/5 weeks you take an easy week and then carry from there you should be good. Do you do any cross training at all?

Sorry to hear Jlb, thats not good. Have you been to see anyone about your back? Would be best to get it sorted. Hope you are able to get out and about soon. What's the weather like around your way? did you get much snow?

• I do gym sessions for upper body and I cycle to and from work most days, which constitutes about 3 miles and is mostly uphill on the way home. Other than that, not really! When the weather improves I plan to extend my cycle home to about 4 miles, which will help, but will only be doing that on non-running days.

What sort of speed sessions are better for 5ks? Intervals or tempo?
  • That's quite a bit if you think about it. You should get a good crossover from the cycling. The speed sessions will work differently so there isn't really a best, there might be one that feels better for you. Personally I would mix your speed sessions up, alternate between interval, fartlek, hill sprints and tempo. Then it will work your body differently and also stay interesting too. There are some good tools for finding out your paces for each session; Macmillan site and also on here. the other option is to use the smart coach on here to work out your speed sessions and then adapt the rest to fit what you are already doing.

I managed to get out again last night. Just ran for half hour, so probably 3mi ish. Felt good again and the back is holding up nicely, gonna have to make sure I keep on top of my back exercises.
  • Hi all,

Sorry for the silence - I tried to reply to this at work the other day, but the internet cut out so it didn't work.

I seem to have picked up an Achilles injury. Went for a run with a different running club on Wednesday night and on my jog up there, I felt it twinging a bit and I should have just gone home, but I pushed on through and really struggled by the time I got home. I'm at my parents' house now for Chrismas, so going to try to rest it and hope it recovers in the next week or so.Already feeling the urge to do some exercise. I might tag along to the gym with my dad later on and do some wieghts/cycling.

I had a go at parkrun on Saturday last week, but was disappointed again. I didn't take my Garmin and finished in 26:53 which is one of the slowest I've ever done. I hate making excuses all the time, but the route was reversed again (to the original route) so the hill is shorter and steeper. Running down the other siede though, I wondered how I ever ran up it, it goes on forever! I'm trying to take a bit of a step back and realise that I've only really been doing this for 5 months or so - got to be more patient!

I'll see how the Achilles is feeling on New Years Eve and maybe have a last bash at it for this year.

Great job, Ewan, very inspirational! Sounds like you do quite a lot of cross training, that'll be good for your base fitness.I'm planning on looking into getting a better bike after Christmas and maybe trying cycling to work from time to time (roads in central London are a bit scary though).

And DB, glad you've been able to get out! Take it slowly and don't push too hard (wish I could take my own advice...)

Jlb - really sorry to hear your back is still giving you problems. Have you seen a physio or anyone? Might be worth a go if not. I really hope you feel better soon.

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope Santa brings you what you want!

• Hope you all had a great Christmas, I've kept the weight gain to a minimum and even managed the Christmas Eve Parkrun (26:50ish) and a 5 miler on Boxing Day (47:00ish), so pretty happy.  Back issues have calmed, it's still not right but I just thought "screw it", I've been feeling like a prisoner to it, so it put a smile on my face to just get out and do something.

I finally used my Garmin on boxing day for the first time, Max HR was 209 and average over the 5 mile run was 195.  Scary, are these things generally accurate?

• Hope everyone had a good christmas. Been really silent on here lately due to exams and a massive new project at worl. All in all a pretty busy December. It's been nice to have a rest for a couple of weeks as I was starting to get a couple of repetative pains in the hip and calf so hopefully they will have ceared up by the time I get the trainers on again. I'm sure cheese in great excess clears up any injury... How has everyone been getting on? Any PB's?

Rich

• Happy New Year everyone!

I have the man-flu, but I managed to drag myself out for a gentle jog around the Parkrun course yesterday in just under 30 mins. Didn't want to make my cold worse.  Anyone else get out?

• I am 44 years old and did a park run pb at Middlesbrough of 16.47 in 2011. Went back to course on Sat and my time was 17.04. Went way far too slow and first mile was 5.36 and last was 5.25. Need to warm up better as aiming for 16.40 this year
  • Well that was a rubbish Christmas in training terms!

Went down to my parents Wednesday 21st and should have been out on Thursday evening for a light session. However our case went AWOL on the train and we didn't get it back until Thursday evening, by which time I didn't really feel like going out as it was late. I went out Friday instead but only did a basic 20 minutes at a good pace. From then I didn't manage to get out until I did Bradford ParkRun on Saturday!

Still managed a 21:22 (unofficial time, results should be up later) which was OK considering lack of training and over indulgence of Christmas. Was absolutely knackered though!

Will be getting right back on training now as I want to do a 1:40 half marathon, a 43-min 10k and a 20-min 5k by the summer. Am going to be training 5-6 times a week to incorporate a tempo run, an intervals run and a much longer Sunday run. Want to hit around 30 miles per week by the end of February (Huddersfield 10k) and, if things are going well, knock out a cheeky full marathon by the end of the year.

• Xmas and new year completely ruined my return to running, the combination of  alchohol, bad food, friends and visiting family along with all the playing with the kids new toys has meant I have done absolutely fudge all. Since new year i've been doing 6hrs of revision a day and writing essays of an evening (oh the joys), as I've got 3 exams at the end of Jan and 3 essays due next week imageimageimage. Luckily this morning I got out before everyone was up and got 3 mile in image 

My plan for 2012:

-To get out and up the mileage during January while keeping up my postural exercises for my back etc

-Do at least one parkrun a month

-Up training once my placements have finished and i'm off over summer to be able to attempt a 10k race

-Hit sub 23mins by end of summer

-possibly do a 1/2 mara by end of year

-Dream of a sub 20min 5k

Lets see how may I can hit in 2012??

Hope everyone is well

• Did a tempo on treadmill tonight. Level 2 gradient and 5k - went happily under 20 minutes. Wish I could do that sort of perfect, steady pace on a Saturday! Will hopefully go sub-21 mins next Park Run if the conditions are right and I end up going.
  • Went out for my 2nd run of the year tonight. Did just over 3 mile at a nice steady pace. Took 30mins but I was keeping to 70% HR the whole way round. Wanna try and get out every other day to build back up and just take it steady as not to affect my back (which is feelin A1 now, but don't wanna do anything to silly).

Did you decide what sort of speed sessions you were going to do Ewan?

Lauren hows the achilles?

Have you got those trainers back on yet Rich?

Jlb, have you gotten out again and used that shiny Garmin more?

Hope everyone is well image

• Glad you're feeling good, DB!

The Achilles is feeling better - I was so frustrated over Christmas not being able to get out and it was HARD when I finally did get back out there! Still feeling a bit of tightness, but it's more at the bottom of the calf and isn't really bothering me when I run. I went for a sports massage yesterday and had my calves and ankles pummelled. It hurt at the time, but feels good now image

I've been back at it this week, anyway. Had my first official marathon training long run this morning - 9 miles which felt more like a hundred! It's scary how quickly you can lose it, a couple of months ago I ran 9 miles without even thinking about it. My training group is a little faster than I'd normally run on my own, but I don't mind about being a bit slower and at the back, I'm used to it by now image Managed the 9 miles in 1hr 24 which I'm pretty happy with!

I don't think I'll be able to manage parkrun for the next couple of months as our training runs are usually on Saturday mornings. I'm hoping that all this extra training will toughen me up a bit and I'll be able to breeze around Brockwell Park come May. Got a lot of races booked in before that though and I'm feeling positive! First one is 10k on the 25th Feb, then my running club's 20 Mile race on the 4th March, then Wilmslow Half on 25th March and then the Brighton marathon on the 15th April! Yikes!

• Wow! Marathon! After that, the parkrun will seem easy. Glad your Achilles is feeling better.

Got out again tonight, 3rd run of the week, another 3mi in 29mins nice and steady. Had no adverse reactions and it's all feeling good again. Just gonna keep taking it steady for now and gradually build up.
  • DB - yeah... at least I think so! Did a sub-20 minute 5k on treadmill on Wednesday as a kind of tempo run. I know that's probably faster than my tempo should be but I wanted to get my body used to the idea of maintaining that kind of pace over 5k. Not sure of my exact time but was around 0:19:40. Think I'm going to try some 1m or 1k splits tonight - either 3x1m @ 6:30min/mile with 3min recovery or 5x1km @ 3:30min/km with 2min recovery. Just need to do some Maths and work out the speed that the treadmill needs to be!

Set a PB for Bradford ParkRun on Saturday - 0:21:04. Previous best was 21:08 so not a great improvement but I knew I had gone backwards a bit over Christmas. Would have broken 0:21:00 if the wind hadn't got up along the 'back straight'. Pacing was good, apart from a horrible 4th km at 4:31, so should beat 0:21:00 if the conditions are right this weekend.
  • Wow Lauren, you have a lot ot of big races planned, love it.  I hope those niggles stay away!

DB - good work getting out more regularly, I've had a poor 4-6 weeks with illness and injury, I've made it to most Parkruns but have really went backwards image

Congrats on the PB Ewan, any improvement is good, good luck cracking 21:00 this week.  How do you find treadmill running? I'm thinking of rejoining the gym, mainly for the pool, but would be handy to have access to a treadmill if the weather is really poor.

Made it to Parkrun, went too fast on the first 2 laps and blew up on the 3rd, I think I need to rain in my ambition for a couple of weeks until I am fully over the cold and have done more good mileage.  Did an easy 10k last night.

Have a great Monday all. 

• Glad you've been able to get out at least, Jlb - even if you're not at your best for parkrun, you're there and giving it a go. It would be a million times harder to get back into it if you weren't doing that image

Having said that, I'm getting really frustrated myself. Went out for the club run last night and managed to keep a really good pace for the whole (nearly) 5 miles and finished in 42:48 which is 3 minutes better than the last time (9:05m/m). However, my shin was really sore when I got home and was still very painful this morning. I really want to believe it's just shin splints, but I'm terrified it might be a stress fracture (localised pain, sore to touch and when walking down stairs...). It hurts more in the muscle to the side rather than the actual bone, and icing helped a bit tonight. Keep your fingers crossed for me - it's one thing after another at the moment, I can't seem to pick up the mileage no matter how gradually I try to do it

I'm hoping that it'll just need a couple of days rest and I'll be able to do the training group run on Saturday morning. I'm so bad for trying to push through things like this - I'm the first to tell someone in pain to rest, but I can't do it myself (and my boyfriend is just as bad - he said "you did the 5 miles yesterday in pain, I'm sure you could do another 5 tonight". I'm not, don't worry!)

Ewan, sounds like you've got a good plan going there. Are you a member of a club? That would probably really help you out with getting your speed up, I find I can push myself so much harder when I'm with the club than I ever do by myself.

• JLB - treadmill is good for practising running at a consistent pace but is a lot easier than road running. My overall PB for a real 5k is 20:36 whereas last week I did about 19:40 on treadmill. I am finding it useful just to up my mileage and improve my pacing as well as, hopefully, getting faster. And the gym is dry! I wouldn't worry about using the treadmill if you are going swimming unless you are thinking of alternating swimming with treadmill sessions.

Lauren - I run with a few guys locally. Using those sessions for general fitness really. We mix it up though and do anything from 3-6 miles. Because of where we live, all of our training routes have to have some hill work - it's both a blessing and a curse! You sound like you are training at a reasonably similar pace to me. What's your 5k PB? I'd get your leg checked out before you run again; it'd be better to miss a session or two than exacerbate the injury.
  • Did a hard session (for me anyway) on Monday 3 repeats of 1K at V02-Max pace with 1K jog recovery, I really enjoyed it , and it felt like a usefull session.  Unfortunatly my back pain came back with a vengence on Tuesday, I was in agony all day and only got about 4 hours sleep on Tueday night.  My medication ran out at the weekend so I'm not entirely sure that the running triggered the problem or that I need the pills to keep the pain at bay, but I went back to the Doc and got more drugs, an X-Ray, and chased up my physio referral.  To be safe I'm going to stop running for at while at least; will try and get some time in the pool instead, I'll maybe volunteer at Parkrun for a coulpe of weeks if I can. 

I'm pissed off, I'd planned a similar session for last night 2K Tempo pace 1K recovery X3, an easy 5 miles tonight, Parkrun, and 10 miles on Sunday.  It would have been my first proper week of running image.

I hope you are all in better health than me!

• Oh no that's crap Jlb. With my back I had to do a load of core work on my trans abs and multifidus, still doing them now to make sure it doesn't rear it's ugly head again. Hope your physio referal etc come quickly.

How's the leg Lauren? Have you thought about doing something like pilate's to compliment the increase in miles and keep your muscle's balanced? Icing my shins directly after my runs really helped when used to get shin splints.

I managed to get another 3mi in tonight. Was meant to go out last night but I was up all night writing an essay for uni image(