Options

The Wall Run 23rd & 24th June 2012

Comments

• Options

Good man!  I assume you are doing the one day continuous?  I would hate to be the only one daft enough to be standing at the start line at 7am (the two day lot start 8am apparently).

• Options
    Just noticed it's gotten 4 miles longer since I signed up. Crumbs!
  • Options

Yes DS definitely the one day for me, I don't know how long it will take but I'm up for it.

• Options
    I'm aiming for after the first metro of Sunday morning (5-6am, ~22-23 hours).  It would be ace to finish sooner but I'm not sure I could cope with missing the last metro of Saturday night and having to stay awake all night after doing 69 miles.  I suppose I could get a taxi but it's £20-30 to Shields.  It just depends how desparate I am I suppose.
  • Options
    I'm not aiming for a specific time, I will be just happy to finish, I will probably book a hotel at the end in advance for the saturday and sunday nights, so I can just taxi away, shower and rest, if you know the exact location of the finish, where is it and do you know any decent hotels local to it
  • Options
    My brain says no but my heart says yes

I've done 4 marathons (5th in March 2012), not any trail races or anything beyond a marathon.

I'm so drawn to this one for some reason, why the hell is it so pricey????

Encourage me please or is that cheeky image
  • Options

It's not really that pricey, I did the Rob Roy challenge for the last two years and it cost much more.

This could be the longest run you'll ever do, I've run a marathon with two more before xmas, but I'm thinking now "so what, everyone has done one" and I want to challenge myself, and if you're already thinking about this, I guess you like a challnege too.

Book it and see what you gain, you'll be drawn into it like there's no tomorrow, you'll start training straight away and will be working on a good level of injury free fitness from next week onwards.

In no time at all, you'll realise that time is already running out. If that doesn't wind you up to do it nothing will.

• Options
    THANK YOU Thats pretty well put!

I'm going to have to sleep on it for another night or two...

The others I've thought of doing as a first ultra, now feel like nothing compared to this. I don't know what it is, but this just feels like the right choice.

I still, however, will sleep on it. We have until end of the month before the price goes up.
  • Options
    Also, I want to do it all in one go, however the option to stop to refuel, sleep and change my clothes mid way is very tempting.

It says on the website, that the half way camping is free... however the price to enter is more for the 2 stages. So how can it be free?
  • Options
    I will be doing it in one go, but without doubt along the way I'll line up a change of clothes and shoes, and if there is a shower to use, better still.
  • Options

EGG - The site says the finish will be at the Millenium Bridge (also known as the eye), I'm assuming the Newcastle side of the river (it's not wide enough to matter).  This is a few hundred metres east of the Tyne bridge.  I just want to finish also but it's in my nature to forward plan a bit, I can't help it.  I've already booked my hotel in Carlisle.  Unfortunately I can't advise on hotels but I would say that unless it's really important to you I wouldn't restrict yourself to Newcastle hotels, you might find something cheaper in Gateshead and it's only across the river (stones throw, seriously).

Jelli -  Yeah, it's not the cheapest ultra I've seen but so much of it fits for me that I couldn't not enter.  I'm from South Shields originally although I live in Leeds now.  All my family are there (20 mins metro from Newcastle), I've wanted to do an ultra for over a year now (since reading "Born to Run" - a dangerous, dangerous book).  My work contract finishes next August and I don't know where I'll be after that.  The course and location are potentially gorgeous.

I'm running my third half-marathon (this year/ever) on Sunday (Great North Run - finishes in South Shields funnily enough) and my longest run was 2 weeks ago (2 hours, ~25 km).  I've signed up for the one day, a lot to ask of myself but a year ago I hadn't ran 5 mile without stopping to walk.  I've time to train up to this and if all else fails then there is sheer-bloody-mindedness.  At the end I'll hop a metro to Shields and my mum can take care of the mess that was formally me.

• Options
    Really fancy a go at this but am a bit worried about back to back 30+ days as although I do the odd marathon the idea of one after another(off road a well) is bit daunting.
  • Options

Piffa

Off road trail running. much more enjoyable than road, fantastic scenery, passing through places you wouldn't normally see. Also generally  they are more undulating so, time to recover on the down hills. I am also a bit worried about stopping over, will I be able to ghet going the next day after a night in a tent

• Options

drowningslowly, Ha, I'm also in Leeds image

I'm starting to back away from it now, as I've been looking at training plans... I could do it, I have 9 months and my marathon in March would fit so nicely in the training.

However I feel that I might yet again take too big of a bite. I've recently discovered that I do tend to take on too much... At the moment my work is pretty demanding, and I'm also trying to build my own business on the side. I suffered a lot beginning of the year when I tried to train for two marathons, I simply couldnt find the time for it and I was so knackered having to do my training runs 5am then work 8 hours then work on business until the evening.

I'm just not too keen on getting myself to that position again. If I do this, that means my only focus should be the race and the training. That would mean something will have to give. Its dangerous time for me to give up on my income, or my performance at my day job.

On the other hand I've been looking at trail marathons, if I just run a couple of trail marathons next year and have a look at my situation then. Maybe Hadrians Wall in 2013.

.....but I really want to do it now!!!!

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH 

• Options
    Just Elli - I can empaphise with the work situation, mine can vary from a casual 9-5 to 7-8 am starts and finishes anywhere between 7-11pm depending on what I'm doing that day.  I also train/teach aikido 3-4 nights of the week so all my running is on a morning before work and at the weekend.  I have swimming class on Saturday morning (thinking about the murky world of triathlon) and my long runs are generally on a Sunday.  My training for this isn't going to be as great as I would like but I think I can do it with what I have.  Fortunately (?) I don't have a life to get in the way all this madness.
  • Options

5am runs are great.image

All night runs are even better  image

You just need to draw up a training plan that works for you.

If its what you love doing you need to find time to do it.

• Options

Dont get me wrong I like morning runs, but when its non stop from 4:30 am to 11 pm and you only sleep a couple of hours a night before you have to go again...  its easier said than done, I drove myself to exhaustion in the beginning of the year,  went on for 4 months without stopping. When you are mentally exhausted, it has a huge impact on your motivation, but I wasnt just mentally exhausted, I was physically exhausted as well. Its a place I never want to be again.

Also, I dont want to have inadequate training plan either. So I just have to look at my options and make some decisions I guess.

• Options

Different routes, same destination.  Unfortunately life seems to be a compromise between our dreams and our responsibilities/obligations.  You've got to do what you feel is best for you.  As I said, I don't know where I'll be in a year's time so for me personally 2012 is it until I'm settled into a new contract somewhere and can decide what's feasible at that time.  For someone so fond of forward planning I can only see a year a head and even that isn't certain.

Morning runs are great but sometmes you just can't beat a lie in.

• Options

I read all your comments and have to say I don't take it so seriously, I run when I can and if I can't (very busy career) I simply run less. It doesn't mean I don't like it, I just do what I can, for Marathons I will generally do about 65% of the recommended distances. knowing that on the day I can squeeze that little bit more out.

As for ultra, I won't run the 40 miles I've seen for ultra plans, I might just do a few more 20 milers, it's an experience and completion is everything, I don't think for one minute over 69 miles I an expect a good time! the time is irrelevant, as it will probably remain a PB, as I will never aim to better it.

• Options

That is my point though EGG you tailor the plan to fit your lifestyle, as long as each time you go out you enjoy it (broadly speaking everyone has trash runs they want to forget).

At the end of the day when it comes to Ultras over 50miles time is irrelavant it is all about the finish, unless you think you are good enough to win that is image 

If it ever got to the point that trying to fit in a run stressed me out then I would need to seriously look at my life as one of the reasons I run is a destress.

• Options
    If it ever got to the point that trying to fit in a run stressed me out then I would need to seriously look at my life as one of the reasons I run is a destress.

Thats spot on! It happened to me and I was totally lost. And now I know never to go there again!
  • Options

Yeah it sounds like we've a similar mindset here, relaxed runners out for the experience, running is a great way to wind down after a stressful day and although this will not be an easy day there's no reason it should not be enoyable, looking forward to it already and see you all in Carlisle.

Elli come on do it in a relaxed style

• Options
    Try to do it relaxed when you try to cram it in before work, you have woken up too late for the 10th time in the row as you're so exhausted you've just slept through the alarm clock.... so you only have time for a quick run, you haven't been able to do a long one in ages, you try to calculate in your head how far you have time to run this time and whether you make it back in time to have a stretch, shower, breakfast, prepare lunch, take a dump, feed the rabbits, vac up the house (as it needs to be tidy for a client visit straight after work and you'll have no time after work), empty diswasher, clear out the laundry that is hanging in the spare room which is used for the client visit......
    Day after day after day.

Yes I'd be more than happy to try it the relaxed way.
    In my dreams I have always had couple of dogs and me, running free on the moorland, just as the sun rises, knowing I dont have to be anywhere, or that I dont have to be done at certain time or that I dont have to run at particular pace, that I dont have to time myself, just watch the sun rise and the dogs playing around me.... smell the fresh autumn air and hear no cars, no sounds of anything but the nature alive around me.

In reality, its not always that far from the dream. The best runs are those when (IF) I manage to get a day off and I just head out to the footpaths and fields and woods in West Yorkshire, stop to say hello to the cows, sheep, horses.... stop to spot a rabbit or a fox.
    Just the dogs are missing and these runs are so few.

In reality the only races I seem to be able to do are the races against the clock.

Yeah. Maybe I should do it. Dedicate nine months of my life for just running the way I love to run.

Or I could get pregnant and take maternity leave image
  • Options

I second your comments on running for fun, I get out where and when I can but almost always on a morning as the rest of my day is spoken for.  Also I prefer running first thing.  I find running gives me time to destress and think, where as aikido helps me destress because I'm not thinking (at least about anything other than the person attacking me).  I've always used training plans as a loose guide for the sort of distances to aim for in my own training not as if they are set in stone.  My training for this will look something like this:

Mon-Fri - AM 2-3 runs of 45-60 mins on alternate days, train/teach aikido 3 times per week.

Sat - AM Swim class, PM Long run (1:30 - 2 hours gradually increasing to 3ish)

Sun - AM Short Run/Long Walk - Start off with long walks/short runs alternate weeks and build distance in both.  Test run-walk strategies, nutrition etc.

And there it is, that's the plan.  Whether I stick to it just depends on work and everything else.  It's my default but if something else comes up or I need the rest then I'm having that lie in.  On the day we'll see where I get.

• Options
    Its good if you can get in some cross training like that! I remember my best and strongest marathons have been those where as a part of a plan I did swimming, cycling, boxing and core work.

My friend who just completed the ironman a month ago, never did longer than 2:30 run and she ran the ironman marathon really strong - I bet its due to the variety of exercise.
  • Options

I'd agree with that.  As for cross training, I think it's good to take a holistic approach to exercise as too much of one thing usually leads to RSI.  Aikido is my core, I've done it (almost) continuously for 13 years nearly.  Running I've dabbled in occasionally but it wasn't until late spring last year I started doing it regularly and entering races.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post mid september last year I had done my one and only 5 mile, non-stop run.  I did my first 10K 2 weeks later.  A couple of weeks after that I went for my first run and when I got to the end I didn't want to stop so I just kept going for as long as I could before having to get ready for work.  Sunday will be my third half marathon this year/ever.  You don't have to do the distance in training.  To a point it helps but when you get to marathon/ultra then it becomes impractical and potentially damaging to do it too often.  You just have to simulate it the best you can.

• Options
    Ooh, really want to do this! Need to make some plansimage
  • Options
    Hmmm. There is definitely something about these across the country ultras. I'm also drawn to Trans Britain, JogLe and the ultimate challenge... run across the America, solo.... But that wont be until in several years time....

I think for me, if I sign up for this one, it makes my ultimate dream kinda real...as it will be the first step towards it... and I'm scared to death!
  • Options
    From someone who's knees are sore, calf muscles are like rock, and feel like I'm walking on broken glass for the first 15 minutes every day, I know how much a challenge it is, first step is the big one.
  • Options
    EGG sounds like someone needs a sports massage image