The Wall Run 23rd & 24th June 2012

Comments

• Elli - Your running sounds a lot more structured and consistent than mine is currently.  For all that I want to keep some speed up for my first maraton next year I think your "plodding" will see you better in terms of pacing in the longer events so don't be so quick to put yourself down.

• Elli / DS - plodding is the order of the day, I can't run 3 days a week through work issues and ageing legs, I also can't see it being possible to run 69 miles without an awful lot of stop/start plodding, so my two (and if I'm lucky) runs per week will have to do, and my LSR is nothing but constant plodding
  • Structured, maybe. Consistent, no. At the moment I have a great plan but sticking to it is a bit tricky. Try to fit in a run here and there, its proving to be increasingly difficult. I've had to swap and change and skip and play catch up for the past two years, and I'm seeing the same going on still. I wish I just had one job!

Yes I think plodding is ok when we start reaching higher mileage but doing 30 + miles a week with LSR being only 13 miles, I think it's just crap. I'd like to be able to run a PB marathon in March, That means knocking at least 30 mins off my last marathon effort in April. That's quite a bit. So I'm not accepting plodding at this stage. image
  • Hi all,

I'm thinking of making the one day version of The Wall my first Ultra. I've just done my first marathon (Chester) and have just started running properly again for a couple of HMs in Feb and March that will hopefully lead on to the Manchester marathon at the end of April.

I know other people in the thread have talked about using Manchester as a training run for The Wall but its really important to me to get a "good" time (ideally I'd like to beat the 3:53 I did in Chester). Is it practical to run a fast, in relative terms, marathon at the end of April, the recover and put together enough long training runs in order to complete The Wall at the end of June?

Cheers
    Gaz
  • Hi Gary,

I don't know the wisdom behind it all but I'm planning a similar thing.  I'll use Manchester as a training run but will still try to run a good time.  Same goes for the training for it.  I'll try to maintain speed on my shorter runs, will use back to back long runs on a weekend to build stamina/time on my feet.  The first will be treat as a training run for Manchester so around the sort of pace I want for Manchester and the second will be a long walk or shorter (relatively) run at an easier pace to build endurance and the ability to keep moving on tired legs.  I don't know if this will work per se and I'll have to be mindful of injury when my legs are fatigued but there is only one way to know for sure.

• Gary and DS

I'm doing Manchester but will also do Llanelli two weeks before, I looked at how multiple marathon runners manage and I read that one 100 marathon club member apparently runs a marathon each weekend with only 2 x 5 milers through the week. 

I'm hoping to fit in 4 marathons before June which may be optimistic, but I'm hoping to make 26 miles a standard training run by then. There is a Liverpool back to back marathon on the most inappropriate dates ever 31st Dec and 1st Jan, not sure about that one just yet (might try one!) but it would be very good training.

Good luck with your chosen method, as whatever you choose will be as good as the rest by the looks of it. 

• Yeah EG, I know about the New Year runs, I used to live in the 'Pool in my student days (only a couple of years ago but makes me feel so old saying that).  I'm hoping to get my long runs up to 20+ miles by the New Year, so far 16 is the furthest I've managed and ended up walking the backend of that.

As for mid week runs, I've managed 3 x 10K this week, these will range from 10-13K as I have to fit them in before work.  This was my first week running in nearly 3 weeks due to work and training (Aikido course up north).  Felt good but my pace seems to have deserted me since the Great North Run, running 20s per Km slower than usual.  Just can't seem to get the legs turning over like I was.  Good job this is base training and not a PB I'm aiming for.  Out tomorrow for my long run, first with new backpack and bladder, so looking forward to it and a bit nervous.  I hope it goes alright as I have no choice but to be able to run for awhile carrying weight on my back.  I think I'll be ok though.

• The Liverpool run is interesting but 4 times round a circuit per day for 2 days might get a bit monotonous! I might give the New Years Eve one a go though, its pretty local to me.

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll get my March half marathon out of the way, start doubling up the long runs on weekends and see how I feel after Manchester.
  • Hi, I am also looking to enter this Ultra as a one day event. Looking to enter the Yorkshire Ultra on 28/01/2012 and Sunderland Marathon as training runs. I am following the Hanson Brothers training plan as I like the look of it and I can manage back to back runs over 5 days, where as finding time for very long runs at weekend is tough for me.

I am also based in NE England so I can practise on the wall. Hoping to get up there with a friend that is also entering and start blogging about some of the sections that I train on to share with other runners.

Anyone else fancy meeting up for some training?
  • http://ultrarunning.co.nz/content/100km-training-programme

The plan above looks pretty doable to me (famous last words!) and would fit in OKish with my Manchester prep.
  • Hi Tim,

That sounds like a good idea and I'd be interested in your blog.  Unfortunately I don't drive so getting up to it is a bit difficult for me.  I'm based in Leeds but I from South Tyneside originally and have family there who I visit semi-regularly (mostly around aikido courses).  If you are out practising one weekend in the New Year and I'm in the area then I'd be up for a practice run, sort of lettting myself know what I'm in for.  I've seen the Whitby race too but it'll be too soon for me to get upto that distance and I don't know how to navigate yet.

When is the Sunderland Marathon?  I could possibly use that too although I struggle to see them fitting 26.2 miles into Wearside without multiple loops.  I reckon you could probably run around the Wearside boundary twice in that distance.  I potentially have a small, local ultra in March that I'll also use.  33 miles in 11 hours with 4400ft of ascent should put my legs through the wringer sufficiently to prepare me for the hills along The Wall.

• Gary, that plan doesn't look too disimilar to what I was planning, thanks for posting.  It's reassuring to know that I might be working along the right lines although I'd struggle to fit 15k in before work with out some serious injection of speed.  I can manage an hour at most if I'm lucky (around 11-13k) but my morning starts can be quite variable.  Training at night is a bit difficult due to teaching/training 2-3 nights in aikido and my propensity for long days fi required.  Also dislike running after work for some reason.  As hard as getting out of bed can be I like my early morning runs.
  • I'm the opposite DS, I couldn't get my backside out of bed early to run even with a gun pointing at my head. I tend to go out straight after work before I've had chance to settle on the sofa.
  • I don't always have a choice in that although some mornings I'm sure it takes divine intervention to get my arse out of bed just for work.  I know we'll all potentially be doing crazy mileage for this but I've just found out about a marathon in Sunderland sat the weekend between Manchester marathon and Leeds Half, both of which I was planning to do

I'm a marathon virgin but I know from the half marathons I've done this year that I'm always stiffer post-race than I am post-long run even if there isn't much difference in time/distance.  Am I taking this too far with just under two months before the big one to consider two marathons and a half in effectively 15 days?  My event schedule for next year will look something like this if I do everything I'm thinking about.

Early March? Haworth Hobble 33 miles

29th April Greater Manchester Marathon

6th May Marathon of the North (Sunderland)

13th May Leeds Half Marathon

23-24th June The Wall

Am I getting carried away?  I would hate to pick up an injury so close to the main event but Manchester would be great for a PB and Sunderland is it's inaugral year and close to where I'm from (plus went to Uni there) so I have family I'll probably be visiting that weekend anyway.   I live in Leeds and did the half marathon this year, my contract is up next August and I'd like to do it again as I don't know where I'll be come September next year.

• I'm no expert DS but the Sunderland mara does look a little close to Manchester. As you say, racing 26 miles is a lot different in terms of recovery time to a 22-24 mile training run.

Its the PB course thats attracting me to Manchester as well so I'm def. going to run that race as hard as I can and I'd be surprised if I could manage any worthwhile attempt if I ran a Marathon the following week. I think I'd rather just give one of marathons a good go rather than try the 2 and end up compromising both races. Just IMHO obviously!
  • Sound advice Gary but whatever I get at Manchester will be a PB, it's just a question of will I be fit enough to do Sunderland at a somewhat leisurely but worthwhile pace and not knacker myself for Leeds/The Wall?  If all goes to plan training wise I'll effectively be doing this in a weekends training anyway so the week should be sufficient recovery time to run Sunderland rather than race it (not that I'm ever going to come close to 2 hours anyway).
  • I did my first marathon last month in just under 4 hours which was a good time for me, at the time I was running 20 milers every weekend but theres no way I could have run another marathon the following week. My legs just wern't "right" all that next week and I was still only doing slow 5-6 mile jogs a fortnight later.

I'm 42 though, not particulary athletic and hadn't been doubling up the long runs at weekends so maybe a younger, fitter bloke who'd done the right training would recover more quickly.
  • Younger maybe but I don't know about fitter.  Still mulling this over as nothing else is entered yet except The Wall.
  • Hi Tim,

I'd be interested in meeting up for a few practice runs,please let me know if anything is organised.

I think my marathon prep is starting to look a bit like this

Keilder 25th March
    Sunderland 6th May
    Druridge Bay 20th May

Maybe 1 extra although I struggle to get many Sundays free.
  • Having a look at some training schedules and making a few tweaks to suit my non running schedule.

Really starting to squirm now......................
  • I am also thinking of entering this as my first dabble at an ultra with the Manchester Marathon as a training run. Never thought I would be saying that I will be using a marathon as a training run!

I have run a few half marathons with PB's everytime so far (luckily) and just feel like I need to do something that 'normal' people don't do. I will be joining you guys in the 17hr target and going to use the 100km training plan previously posted. Let's hope we can keep each other motivated!

Also, if anyone is in the midlands and fancies doing any training/the coventry way let me know!

• Where was the 100k plan, I'm signed up and ready but I am not working to a plan at all, I just intend to make a marathon my normal weekend long training run, I am not sure if it's possible at all, but I suppose that's all part of the attraction in doing something like this.
  • Yes that one! I'm putting together a spreadsheet now of what i'm planning and if anyone wants to see it/compare just shout image
  • Thanks Gary will look at that, and Jelly yeah I wouldn't mind a look if you're offering.

• Yes that one! I'm putting together a spreadsheet now of what i'm planning and if anyone wants to see it/compare just shout image
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Jelly, I'm at cov way too (route goes by my back garden gate!) and hopefully this one too cs long cs I still gave legs after the hundred!
  • Anyone know what kind of entry level expected? seems to be drumming up quite a bit of interest already.
  • Andy - I wondered about the level od entry, so asked the question of the organisers, still awaiting reply, hope there's a good turnout, it's a lonely old plod otherwise