The Wall Run 23rd & 24th June 2012

Comments

• Not so lonely EG, you know we'll be there.
  • Yes DS I know there are one or two actually waiting for (and maybe even looking forward to) this
  • Evening all.
    I'm seriously considering this. I just did Bangalore 75KM last week. It was technical trail (no previous trail experience other than a couple of runs across the beach banks where I live) bloody hot (32 degrees) and the most painful way to pick to do a first ultra. Got through it though, although I don't understand my own psyche that I now want to add another 23 miles in the same day ( couldn't face the running 2 days or the camping).
    Is there anyone else on here as inexperienced and slow as me? image
  • Hi Cabbey,

I reckon I qualify as less experienced (never done a marathon let alone an ultra) and I don't think slow is an issue, quite the opposite.  Having not broke 30km yet I'm currently working on a PW (personal worst) as I'm trying to curb my pace to maintain it for longer.  HM PB is 01:36:52 (GNR this September), todays 14.5 miler, 02:11:59.

Come join the fun.

• Cabbey - As DS says slow is not an issue, in fact slow could be a strength in this distance.

I'm running a half in 2:00, a full in 4:20, for this I'm banking on slower than this, and on this basis I dread to think what time I'll do the last 13 miles!! I garee with you though, doing the mileage in one day is still preferable to a night's break, a 2-day run and Camping 

• Thanks,
    My marathon PB is 4:41 although it took me 12:27 to do Bangalore (heat cramps from 13 miles, as did a lot of Indian runners). I won't be so stupid this time though (did a flat road marathon in prep for a trail ultra). I was thinking of doing Llanelli 37 miler in prep if I do this one.
    I literally couldn't walk at the end of Bangalore... Never thought it was possible to feel that bad. Loved it though image
  • Llanelli? interesting when is that, I did the Marathon there last year, really good run and very friendly area towards the Marathon runners
  • It's 31st March. There's a 4.5 hour cutoff for 18.5 miles
  • Well I just mailed through witha few questions, might do this one, I was going to book for the Llanelli great welsh marathon but if I can do this instead it would fit in nicely
  • Cabbey - Thanks for the Llanelli tip, entered now, £30 great value

• No probs.... hopefully I'll be entering soon too
  • Have any of you that have emailed ratrace had an answer from them yet? I'm still waiting (bet they're quicker to take the money).

I wanted to know what "no outside assistance" means. Obviously, I know that means I can't take a bus and take third place like Rob Sloan, but what does that mean from your supporters point of view? Are they allowed to give you stuff en route (food etc). Anybody know??

• no outside assistance usually means that they can't carry and hand you anything.........it means that everyone has an equal race...so apart from what you carry you can only access food from checkpoints and any shops etc.........so everyone is the same.........

it also usually means that they can not run any of the route with you.......

otherwise you could carry minimum things in your backpack and have you supporters carry it for you from place to place,,,,,,,,,,,,meaning that basically you have cheatedimage

but the organisers should be qanswering that one for you as its their race and there choice as to the rules

• Cabbey - No answer on the numbers of entrants yet
  • Thanks Seren nos, that's very useful (and also what I thought). I have 3 people who will be supporting me but it's from a morale point of view more than anything, so I'm fine with that. Someone to whinge at me for not eating properly, dish out a hug and a complimentary "you look fab" (when they are clearly lying) will do me image

It's not on like is it EG? They should answer their emails. I emailed Llanelli and got an answer within a couple of hours, which gives you hope for the organisation on the day doesn't it?

• I think I'm going to leave this until 2013 and let the organizers hopefully iron out a few wrinkles out of a new race.
  • Cabbey - I agree, answers are important when you're planning, I also got a straight direct answer from the Llanelli 37 ultra people, who were very helpful,

Gary - I'm sure half the fun in this will be battling through the wrinkles, get in join the fun we'll iron it out ourselves

• To be fair to the organisers, I was overcharged when I signed up but they sorted it out next day for me - the message did go in my spam box though so look out for an answer in there too!

• Entered! image Llanelli entered too imageimageimage
  • Nice one Cabbey, 2 runs and 106 miles
  • lol... that will 'up' the yearly mileage won't it?

• Aye up, getting a bit worried reading all these posts about folks piling in the miles! Injured at the moment, but intending to get back into running over the next couple of weeks...walking / running That's Lyth in Jan, and a half marathon in April, the Lakeland Trails events start in March, so hoping they'll keep up my running spirit!! If anyone lives in the West Cumbria area, and fancies VERY slow image plodding training, let me know...happy running y'all! H
  • Hi Heather... I'm "sort of" injured at the moment (looks like an ITB issue so off to see the physio tonight). Don't worry about people piling in the miles, you've got loads of time to get there.
  • Thanks Cabbey, i've been suffering with ITB probs since the GNR....been rollering and stretching...hope you get it sorted! H
  • Thanks, it seems I have a weak gluteus medius and it'll be sorted in 10 days if I do the exercise he's given me until it burns! Best start burning then image
  • I'm in, entered a while ago - single day. Will be my first ultra, am really looking forward to it! Only started running this year, so spent last Saturday afternoon working out my training program. Main events in the lead up are Belvoir Challenge on Feb 25th, Grindleford Gallop on March 10th and i'm doing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks as a solo challenge while we're there on holiday in April. Factor in a couple of training weekends in the Peak District....and lots of running during the week, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Already got most of my gear sorted, GoLite Rush 10l backpack, Montane FeatherLite trousers, RonHill windproof jacket, LED Lenser H7 Headtorch, just need to decide on shoes and socks (blistering is very low on my list of things to achieve in the run!). Thinking i'm going to get a set of lightweight poles as well...

• I was thinking I probably won't need a head torch, but now you got me thinking, start at 7am so possibly finish will be late on 
  • I will DEF need a head torch (unfortunately). I think if you're gonna take more than 15 hours you'll need one
  • Poll:

6 months to go!
    How many weekly miles do you currently do and whats your longest run?

My weekly miles are just over 30, long runs have been 12-14 miles
    Very inconsistent running though