Shiiiiinnnnssssss!

Help!

Need advise! I'm training for my first half marathon- the Cardiff Half Marathon on October 17th. For the last 4-6 weeks I've had really bad pain down my shins; the muscle that runs just to the outer side of the shin gives me lots of pain and is really hindering my training.

It's generally at its worse for the first 5km then tends to ease up but I'm struggling to run any distance at the moment without having to stop and walk as the burn makes me want to sit on a park bench and cry... I figure that's not a good look though so try to restrain myself! 

How do I get over this? I've tried reducing the number of times I got a week and the distance but it's persistant! 

Been running since about January, more into it in the last 3-4 months or so. Generally try and go 4-5 times a week and go between 5-12km, furthest is 19.5km. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated image

Claire 

Comments

• i know its not what you want to hear, but take a week or 2 off.
  • Afraid same here Have you had anyone check out what the problem is? Might be worth while getting a referral from your GP to see a physio or going private. Sounds like skin splits. What trains do you use and did you get yourself gait tested for the right ones first?
  • REST!!! its probably tendonitus in your tibalis anterior (the muscle you mentioned) best treatment is REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, ELEVATION. but i agree with cake - get it checked out by the GP if it persists after rest. 

Don't panic you can cross train - take a spin class or use the x-trainer / stationary bike which are a less load bearing. Do some intervals and really push your lactate threshold that way you will maintain your cardio fitness. 

You don't want to be in pain on RACE day! Stretching, SMR or sports massage might help too.