Ibbo's Cake Quest Sportive

Ibbo's Cake Quest  Event HQ at Walton-on-the-Hill, Surrey

Four different routes available - Fruit Cake 150k, Carrot Cake 110k, Jaffa Cake 60k, or Fairy Cake 20k(guided off road mtb).  Route descriptions include details of cake stops/cafes en route image

Probably going to do the Jaffa myself. Anyone else interested?

Comments

• Jaffa cake for me too. image

• Can you just do the smashing orangey bit in the middle? Must be the downhill bit?
  • I have my first Oly that day.

Forecast for Dorney: A wet start, getting drier throughout the day. Isolated pirate with scattered swearing.

• Dorney is sweet, can be a bit windy though
  • Trogs - thinking of possibly trying the Jaffa, but will be a bit slow.
    Managed 44Km last weekend at the Redhill YMCA sportive.
    Do you know if you can enter on day or how close to the day? MiL is poorly so do not want to commit, may have to change plans at short notice.
  • Trogs. wrote (see)

SteadyCJ wrote (see)
    Trogs - thinking of possibly trying the Jaffa, but will be a bit slow.

Can we have less of that talk please ladiesimage

CJ - I was involved with the Redhill sportive last weekend (although not there on the day),  have you any feedback on the course or organisation of the event etc?

• Might keep half an eye on this... need to check with the boss if we are doing family things...

Either way will download the rides, they look like good ones to do.
  • Jaffa_ wrote (see)
    Trogs. wrote (see)
    SteadyCJ wrote (see)
    Trogs - thinking of possibly trying the Jaffa, but will be a bit slow.

Can we have less of that talk please ladiesimage

LOL Jaffa  image

SteadyCJ wrote (see)
    Do you know if you can enter on day or how close to the day? MiL is poorly so do not want to commit, may have to change plans at short notice.

Not sure Steady, can't see anything on the website about closing dates or on the day entry.  Might be worth dropping the organisers an e-mail.

• Thanks Trogs, I reckon a jump from 44 to 60 I can do, not like the massive leap of 40 to 100 I tried earlier in the year.

Jaffa I will drop you a PM with all comments, but basically it was great, especially having somewhere dry and warm for the cup of tea and cake at the finish as it rained a lot.

• Easy step-up Steady, less than an hour more - unless there's any stonking great hills in the last 16k which, I'm fairly sure, there aren't. image

• I have looked at the route and think it is doable, a small part of it is the same as the Redhill one, so I know I can do those lumps.

• Jaffa Cake for me too.
  • Will check diary.
  • Looks like we've got a nice steady little group coming together image

• All this talk of cake is making me hungry.

We're booked for the new forest half this year but maybe one for next year.
  • might be up for this if I can be back before about 12.30pm. Who's still in? All Jaffas?
  • I'm still in.  What time is everyone planning to set off?  I'm on my own for this one so would appreciate some company.

• I'm still in, it's going to be a lurverly day image

Was planning on getting there 8.15-830ish to set off as close to 0900 as poss but could earlier if necessary  image

• Definite Jaffa Cakers

Debster
    Soupy
    SteadyCJ (all being well)
    Trogs

Possible gluttons

Gladys
    Henny

Don't forget the sunscreen, looks like it might be a last chance to top up the comedy tans

• 9am start sounds good to me.  I'll aim to get there for 8.15 so I can faff.  Looking forward to this. image
  • Plea for help!  I went to Halfords for some inner tubes after using my last one yesterday and they were shut.  Tesco didn't have any.  I'm hoping there's a stall at the HQ in the morning but if anyone has a spare they could lend/sell me in case of emergency I'd be mighty grateful.  Ta.

If this weather keeps up for tomorrow it will be a good one. imageimage

• Have fun guys and gals
  • Soupy, I'm pretty sure I've got a spare spare floating around somewhere - assuming you've got a fairly standard sized wheel.  

Happychap - I'm sure we will. You too; easy does it and watch out for irate caravanners image

• Sorry kids, going to give this a miss, just too tired and want a lie in! Will be out and about on the bike later in the morning so will keep an eye out for y'all!

Play nicely and dont leave anyone behind, now!
  • Gladys, you slacker!! imageimage

Trogs - thanks.  Hopefully I won't need it and/or there will be a stall.  Had a few flats of late and think I need new tyres.  See ya tomorrow.

• Enjoyed that a lot, thanks for your company Soupy.

Jaffa route may well become a regular training route for me - 45miles if I start it from home.  Might even try the carrot cake route at some stage as well for a slightly longer one.

The cakes provided (for a donation) at the end were exceptional imageimage

• How fab was that? image  Thanks to Trogs for the inner tube (needed before I even started), the company and spotting the direction signs that I missed.  I'll be doing the route again without doubt. Perfect, fast first half and lumpy second half but all the ups (and downs) were manageable.  Result.

Now where do I start with the cakes.................................? Words cannot do them justice. image