Benfleet 15

Comments

• Received race number this morning....getting really nervous now!
    Good to see a race listed as FULL!
  • Race Full image looks like I will have to run the course the day before again and watch the muddy runners on the day
  • One of the perks of being a Marshall Jordie !

• BENFLEET 15 draft ROUTES 2012

These are all subject to change with pending Olympic work and course navigational changes, so don't quote us if we change the routes.... image  

15 Mile draft route 

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/60910742 

1 mile Family run draft route

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/63036842/ 

3k Junior Run draft route

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/63036116

All entrants in the junior races will receive a medal, and an Olympic themed memento from www.trulychocolates.co.uk, as well as trophies for girls and boys age groups.

Parents are encouraged to run with their children, and for those under 8 it is recommended.

Details are via the club website, where there is online entry and also where entry forms can be downloaded. 

Entry is available on the morning of the race for the Junior Races only.  
  • Anyone not having received their number by Wednesday 11th, please contact Terry via

telturn@yahoo.com

They've all been posted out-now its in the hands of Royal Mail !!

• ADULT RACE IS FULL

So if you are injured, or can't run please let us know and we may be able to make another runner very happy by giving them the chance to run. 

Entry is available on the morning of the race for the Junior Races only.  

• LEMLEM ✭✭

Please do let the organisers know if you can't run - I'm second on the reserves list!!!

• Ran most of the 'upper' course this morning - lovely in the sunshine. Quite wet underfoot in places after the hard frost yesterday.

Getting ready for the Marshalls run next Saturday.
  • PLEASE READ: 

For the next few weekends they are closing off the small roundabouts at Sadlers Farm and turning it into one big roundabout with all traffic going round in one direction . when they did this before it caused chaos.

Further to this they are starting work today on work at the Tarpots removing the mini roundabouts and installing traffic lights.  No idea if they will be working at the weekend or if they will clear
    everything on friday nights.

In light of this I think the whole area could be a complete shambles and should be kept clear of.

If you are planning on coming from the west you should come on the A127 and turn off right  at Rayleigh Weir  and come done to the Vic house roundabout to get to the Country Park.

• ADULT RACE IS FULL,

PLEASE DON'T SEND ANY POSTAL FORMS IN NOW, AS WE HAVE NO FURTHER SPACES.

THE FINAL LIST OF RUNNERS IS ON OUR WEBSITE.

IF YOUR NAME IS NOT DOWN, YOU ARE NOT RUNNING.

ALL RACE NUMBERS ARE IN THE POST - IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT YOUR NUMBER YET, PLEASE EMAIL

telturn@yahoo.com

CONFIRMED ENTRANT LIST

• I'm looking forward to this race, but this wretched cold means I am likely to be slower than usual... Are you on photography duty this year, Karl?
  • Wednesday - cold, wet and windy

bring it on !

We should have a few photographers on the course, but I am co-ordinating the Start/Finish area and Junior Races so I will see you at the start. 

• Thursday - prolonged rain overnight continuing well into this morning.
  • Sunday is Benfleet 15 Race Day, and we have two great Junior Races (3k, and 1 mile family run) for you to enter on the day.

3k starts at 9am, and the 1 mile 9:15am, so get there early to register and get your number.

All finishers receive a medal, and we have limited edition chocolates from www.trulychocolates.co.uk to give out as well.

Adult Race is now full (550+ runners) and the going is good to damp in places, and all finishers get our great Technical T-shirt as proof you have completed the course. oh, and we also have some lavish trophies to award to the winners.

Will report back on conditions on Saturday after we have done the Marshalls Run.

Thanks to everyone for their support this year, the new course and HQ look really good and we hope you have an awesome race - enjoy.

www.benfleetrunningclub.com/benfleet15

• It'll be interesting to see what effect the headwind has during miles 3-7 on Sunday; I know I shall sleep well while attempting to watch the football later in the afternoon.
  • Wind? Wind?
    I was warned about the mud, but nobody mentioned wind! lol
  • JARHEADJARHEAD ✭✭✭

Hi all,i last ran this race in 2008,great race but i do remember turning back along the sea wall and

really battling a headwind,tough when your tired,looking forward to this race,hope to go under 2

hours....but you just never know...good luck all...see you on the beach.

• I was out on the Marshals run today, it is much drier than the last two years and I got back with fairly dry feet.

The muddy hill was not too bad due to the new path and the area that is usually flooded is just a little boggy.

However, running from Leigh to Benfleet into the wind was hard work, then after a small loop onto Canvey you have to battle the wind again. Hopefully the wind will drop for tomorrow.

Also the road up from Benfleet Station now comes four miles later into the run so is hard work & you have a nice uphill finish, so I think it will be a tough run, my trail shoes were slipping a little on a few off camber sections, so if you are running in old road shoes you will slip a bit more but much less mud that last year.

• Expertly put Jordie - concur with all your points. Think the wind today wad a lot worse than the mud, although so testing mud in places especially if you are down the field a bit and it's been trampled a bit by 250 runners.
  • Any info about water stations?
  • 5 miles ish Leigh Stn

8 miles Moorings

11 miles Canvey Rugby Club

13 miles Top Stn Road

Only very rough - don't quote me.
  • Thank you for supporting our race this year, as of mid 2011 we didn't have a course so thanks for bearing with us.

We would as ever like your comments (good and bad) so we can improve for 2013.

A MASSIVE thank you on your behalf to the 100+ Marshalls and volunteers who made the race happen.

We do hope you had a good day, whatever you time or position in the race.

Results will be available on our website very shortly...
  • My first time at Benfleet and also first time "running" 15 miles.

The wind was crazy (which is obviously beyond your control) and some of the hills were very hard, but not as muddy as was expected....was kinda looking forward to the fun part image
    The marshals and volunteers were FANTASTIC best I have seen/heard at a race, very encouraging!

Overall I was pleased that I finished within my goal time of 3 hours...just...but that was with having to wait for about 5 minutes or so at one stile/gate while everyone climbed over (very orderly us runners aren't we!) and also stopping to drink and eat at every station.

I'll be back for another attempt next year image
  • First time for me at that distance and happy with 1:58. The marshalls and supporters were first class. Extremely well organised.

My only criticism is that it wasn't 'cross country' enough for me. I was looking forward to wading through mud too! Also I thought each finisher got a technical tee shirt....I didn't see any? Oh well some good miles in the legs over a new distance! image
  • Technical T-shirts were given out in the "roundhouse".

Tony, please contact us and we will sort out your t-shirt.

The course wasn't as muddy as previous years (sorry) we will endavour to send our marshalls out on the course with hose pipes next year.

Thanks for the comments.

We will start planning next years race very soon, so please let us know your comments (good and bad) and we will try to improve for 2013.

The biggest question for 2013 - new course or old course...???

• I found the new course was more interesting to run, but harder with the late hills.

I would be interested to hear what the Start/ Finish area was like, was there enough loos and parking as this is where the school is better.

If it was raining there wouldn't be a lot of cover for the runners

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/4671/Gallery/394399_347498531935898_131066670245753_1300700_1180364627_n.jpg

Full Results and photo's of all the winners will be uploaded throughout today onto our results website:

http://www.benfleetrunningclub.com/benfleet15/b15.results.htm

• Excellent race Benfleet, well done!! This is the first one I've done so I can't compare to previous years and I think the relentless wind made up for the lack of mud (in terms of difficulty if not fun!) Very well organised and no probs with loos or parking. The t shirt is fab and the post race refreshments so so welcome. Thanks to all involved image
  • Fabulous race though tough tough tough through that wind on Canvey, apart from that really enjoyed it!! Did under 3 hours so pleased. Loos, organisation, t-shirt, start, finish, weather (apart from wind) all fine, special mention to marshall Tracy at mile 11 image

A couple of things: had to wait approx 5 mins (it seemed) at each of the 2 stiles and I would have appreciated some of the orange drink at all of the water stations, not just the first.

Apart from that a big thumbs up!