Winter training rides in Kent and Surrey

Comments

• Loading the car up in 10 mins - see you all later.  My OH has chickened out due to work pressures (he says) so at least I don't have to worry about the times I've said don't tell Mr S but...........

Its going to be a hot one - sunscreen at the ready. image

• Smiffy - that's what I used but no joy.  Am having to do a full format now but hitting other problems on the way

• Hope you all had a great ride today image

Would have loved to have joined you but just not possible image

• I think that's the first Dustboy ride I've done without falling off! image  It was flippin hard though and I'm whacked now. I blame Schmunkee for bottling it (alright computer mending it) image cos that gave him the idea of adding in Whitedown and a little 20% number just after.  And no I didn't make it all the way up Whitedown and decided to walk before falling off this time - too many cars going up and down to risk that one.  I did the 20% though. image

Top ride - brill company as usual so thanks to everyone and especially  to ferret for patiently bringing up the rear (ie me). 

• Thanks for a lovely day  and yes, my legs knew that they hadn't been on the bike since the Vit.  Hard going but good.  I do hate Whitedown but hopefully I will love it one day.

Thanks ever so much for waiting for me to get there....my hubby needs to be on his best behaviour to make it up to me tonight or else.  Although saying that, he has been drinking all day and we are drinking all night....LOL... but he is still washing up!!!

• Couldn't really be described as a winter ride though could it? Dry roads and hot sunshine, the only real giveaway was the amount of acorns/conkers littering the roads in places.

Not impressed when we got to Abinger and Dustboy said we were turning right cos I knew that'd mean Whitedown despite earlier assurances.  Pleasantly surprised to make it to the top of that and all the subsequent upflats, some of which seemed to go on and on.

Also lovely to see Bassey who spotted us just as we turned into the car park at the end on his way out to Box Hill.  Odd that he couldn't persuade any of us to delay the bacon butties and join him image

Lovely ride though, thanks Dustboy. Hope Lord H's mate isn't too sore and bruised tomorrow.

• Glad to see you all had a good time, I had secretly planned on turning up for this but something cropped up. Next time maybe image

Lake, I am sure we could organise some rides to take in your parts of Kent, there are a few upflats down that way I believe image

• Soup Dragon  wrote (see)

I did the 20% though. image

Respect Soupy - I couldn't manage even half that gradient so maybe it's a good idea I couldn't make it image
  • It wasn't very long though Podds - you could have done it. I've mapped the route here:

Dustboy special

• I thank you for your faith in me Soupy but if you remember the one and only time I ventured out of the flat lands to the Surrey Hills I ended up walking parts of 3 of the 6 hills and we only went down Whitedown image

It is safe to say I'm not built for hills image or at least the upflat type ones image

But the burger at the end was nice image

• Makes note to invite Podds on Dustboys mostly flattish ride.

Good effort by all today, fantastic weather.

Excellent warm up for a Smiffy ride. His have hills though. Today we did just over half of Tootles Loop, ex Box Hill and Leith and that other one I can't remember which is only just short of the Whitedown league.

Lord H's mate Cordon Crash should be spoiling a nice shiner tomorrow after binning it on the Ranmore hairpin. Brand new bike, not even first service done apparently. He did look a bit of a mess and very very raw with lots of luvly open gravel rash.

Saffers is now a serious force to be reckoned with, Trogs has never given me death look before and Soupy was on a roll after eating her Meldy bar. And Ferret was brilliant as usual as head shepherd, whilst simply annihilating any lump thrown at him.

Winter rides will be North Downs way from Newlands on the MTB. Buy one. ;O)

Thanks for coming guys. Top ride.
  • You didn't see the guys doing the full Oly road race route (inc all 9 laps of Box) on Boris bikes? I bumped into them on their last climb up the hill - one had resorted to walking it, the other rode all 9. The looks on some of the roadies faces when he pulled up at the cafe next to their carbon bling was priceless.
  • We didn't go quite that far east Dave. Kind of wish we had now, just to see that spectacle image
  • I would have loved to have seen that CD! It would have been worth an extra climb (almost). image
  • Just an update, apparently "Cordon Crash" is recovering well from his "injuries" and his bike is due to be returned, repaired, shortly.

Apparently he had two further "clipless incidents", one at the sharp left off the main road going back towards Whitedown. Lord H turned and found the poor little soldier in a heap in the lay by and again at the Whitedown crossroads where he got the direction wrong and thought we were going straight on.

For some reason, bless him, he chose not to share this information with us at the time, but has said he would like to come out with us again!

Should I feel guilty? image

• Dusty, you're always 'Guilty'!! image
    When's the next one? I'll try to make it, as long as I don't have to drive to the ends of the country to take no.1 to another Uni open day!!
  • Me me me me me too. Missed last weeks cos of work but thats not a problem anymore image
  • Oh poor Cordon Crash - and he still wants to come out to play again!  Glad he and bike are on the mend.  I'm itching to have another go at Whitedown now I've had my bike fit. I feel like I've had half an extra engine fitted. image My saddle is higher and further back, my cleats are set up right, my stem is shorter and I've got a new saddle on order. Twas a good session that took nearly 3 hours and I go back next month for some tweaking when the new saddle comes into stock. Might get tri bars fitted at the same time.
  • Where did you get your fit Soupy?
  • Cat  - It was a Specialized BG fit at the concept store in Ruislip.  Cost a lot but it was very thorough with flexibility assesment and everything. 
  • I'll get checking on the diary. That was indeed a nice route and if I am honest, quite fancy it again. As everyone was so fresh after, might even extend it to Boxhill, especially if Trogs can lead us down the back passage again back to the bottom?

Now Siggy, I would just like to point out in advance that SOUPY has requested Whitedown again. Therefore, don't blame me.

I will also be running "The Crease" again soon. 28 miles, 300M climbing, 2 hour ride. Lovely route, mostly downhill! Nothing you need get out of the saddle for, runs from Pirbright Village Green. Quite a fast route and some aerobar practice. No burger bar but there are a couple of pubs on the green serving food at lunchtime. Saffers did a bit of it once, tell 'em it woz nice dear. Mostly wide roads with relatively low traffic.

Currently also working on another Newlands based mostly flat route bar gettin back up the lump to Newlands and one other upflat, which Siggy can tell you all about as I haven't been up it yet. Oops!
  • especially if Trogs can lead us down the back passage again back to the bottom?
    <snigger> What did I miss??!!!
    I think the only person who'll get up that one Dusty is Smiffy!!
    Bike fit sound very interesting Soupy! I'll look into that.
  • Where's Smiffy gone?

8th Oct

9th Oct
    Saffers

16th Oct
    Ferret
    Soup Dragon
    Trogs
    Dustboy (provisional)

12th Nov (same day as Ballbuster)
    Saffers
    Ditchy

19th Nov
    Saffers
    Ditchy
    Ferret
    Soup Dragon
    Trogs
    Dustboy (provisional)
    P Siggy & Siggy's Valet Benno!! (Provisional)

20th Nov
    Ditchy
    Ferret

26th Nov (non London Piratey Xmas do?)
    Saffers
    Ditchy

27th Nov

4th Dec
    Ditchy
    Ferret

5th Dec
    Ferret

11th Dec
    Ferret

• Dustboy, getting off Box the back way is easy - 

- climb the zig zags and keep going to the end of the road, turn left
     - take the next 3 lefts and there you are back at the bottom of the zig zags again

• Yes but sooo much easier when you just follow a bum!

Smiffy would just say "Which leg should I use?" I did it on streetmap and it looks sick, even on that.
  • My bro and I are doing a bit of Ballbuster reccying on Sunday at 8am, top car park if anyone fancies it? Probably 2 laps biking and one running as we are a little pushed for time.
  • Dustboy  wrote (see)
    Yes but sooo much easier when you just follow a bum!
    Oi, who you calling a bum image
    Gladys (all over!) M. wrote (see)
    My bro and I are doing a bit of Ballbuster reccying on Sunday at 8am, top car park if anyone fancies it? Probably 2 laps biking and one running as we are a little pushed for time.
    I shall be busy at Denbies on Sunday - it's Surrey Badger time image
  • Where's Smiffy gone?

8th Oct

9th Oct
    Saffers

16th Oct
    Ferret
    Soup Dragon
    Trogs
    Dustboy (provisional)

Saffers
    Ditchy
    Barley

19th Nov
    Saffers
    Ditchy
    Ferret
    Soup Dragon
    Trogs
    Dustboy (provisional)
    Barley

20th Nov
    Ditchy
    Ferret

Saffers
    Ditchy

27th Nov

4th Dec
    Ditchy
    Ferret

5th Dec
    Ferret

11th Dec
    Ferret

• Frightened him off !!
  • If Smithy is busy, im happy to arrange location & routes for the rides I can make it to.

8th Oct

9th Oct
    Saffers

16th Oct
    Ferret
    Soup Dragon
    Trogs
    Dustboy (provisional)

Saffers
    Ditchy
    Barley

19th Nov
    Saffers
    Ditchy
    Ferret
    Soup Dragon
    Trogs
    Dustboy (provisional)
    Barley

20th Nov
    Ditchy
    Ferret

Saffers
    Ditchy

27th Nov

4th Dec
    Ditchy
    Ferret

5th Dec