Rotary Shakespeare Marathon

Comments

• Think I'll upgrade from a vest to a tee
  • Yes, that's the dilemma, and layers won't stay warm for long once they get wet. But I'll sweat like a pig if I wear a waterproof top though. will probably take a few options on the day, and decide at the time.

And what about hats, too windy for a peaked cap or not?
  • I'm taking options, I've got my name on front of Welsh dragon vest, also on club t shirt, - & having name called out even in a smallish race always helps.
    If heavy chance of rain then it's baseball cap, if little chance then ive a buff ... Hmm coula always have buff round neck extra warm with vest ? No thats silly

Gloves Definately , & can either be chucked or go in bum bag , bumbag will contain 5 gels

Back to the packing image
  • Tshirt, shorts, garmin.

Job done!

Ill just regret putting anymore than that on once im soaking wet
  • I actually think an old-lady style plastic rainhood might be quite effective. Can always chuck it later on, and it would give a bit of comedy value at least.
  • Long sleeved top and club vest for me. Hat but no gloves.  Good luck everyone.
  • corduroy based costume for me, LOL - I will be warm at least, but the soaking up of rain for several hours will be a challenge.

But I reckon the wind will be the killer - warm and wet is bearable. Just make sure your number is well pinned on!

Good Luck everyone

• Just finished last nights pizza. Now just time to get a bagel in before lunch image
  • Pasta for me. Friggin sick of pasta lol
  • Full fat croissant in cafe in Stratford right now fir me. It`s blooming cold and wet here
  • I've got a basketful of Croissants and Danish from Moseley Farmers Market - now to put the feet up and get out a suitable film. I think Johnny Mills as Scott of the Antarctic should put me in an appropriate frame of mind.
  • Bloody cold out in Leicester too, just bought a head band as another option for tomorrow
  • Don't forget guys, plenty of water to to store all those carbs you're eating.

Scott of the Antarctic, good call image

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭
    Sausage sandwiches for me. How wet is the delightful greenway underfoot? third time in a row running this one and usually hot and hit the wall about 22 miles. Love this race but always seems harder than some hillier marathons. Hoping to be wrong 24 hours from now
  • Lol just bought a thermal buff plus plastic disposable gloves to put over gloves!!!
  • br - followed your lead and called in at the local petrol station, snaffled a pair of their plastic gloves...

is anyone planning on getting changed at the race, or is everyone turning up in their racing gear? was wondering what the changing facilities were like, and how crowded they were likely to be?

Also, any idea on what time the car park fills up, or is there room whatever time you turn up?

• Hi ian..not done this one before but am staying in b and b so i went for recce today.There seems be ample parking all around the area however will be guided by anyone who has better advice.
  • Ok, I'm doing this one tomorrow... and a little bit anxious and worked up about it. Suspect it's probably weather related as it's going to be like a "cold monsoon" tomorrow - I've done all the training - regularly running up to 12.5 miles in the hills and 14 on the flat and I've got my mind on 2 hours and 10 minutes - but for some reason tonight, I'm more jittery about this than I have been about other halves I've done.

Better get my base layer, lycra trousers and gloves out. And find a bag full of dry clothes for the drive home tomorrow.

How is everybody else feeling? 

• Chris

all will be fine pal - most will still turn up

its going to be good, we will be set off 5 mins early i expect

• several car park in town

only problem with the recreation car park is that it can take over an hour to get out again

some of the others may be a little futher to walk, but there wont be any problems  getting back out of town

• Doing the half - did a really slow 20 min run earlier to stretch legs out. Not sure wether to run in gloves? They're north face ones not padded but not tiny iykwim? I'm going to be rocking my ultra sexy sheep buff and went out and bought a long sleeved running top today as was going to wear short sleeves. Though think I might look a bit ridiculous in my 3/4 comp rights and bright orange calf guards I was going to wear shorts but bugger that now!! Just beefed out of a wholegrain pasta spag bol yumm

Good luck all esp those doing the full image
  • Micknphil - are you doing the full or the half? Either way, if I see you, I'll gladly come over and say hello to you! I'll be wearing an "Aldridge Running Club" vest which is blue on the top half and black on the bottom half. But if I don't, I really hope it goes well for you!!!

• Chris

Aldridge ahh - black country like image

i did forget to say yes, we fulling

it'll be our 42 FM together - had we completed al we'd started wed be on around 50

or if we settle for the HM it'll be our 238th 

• long drive for us in the morning

all of  around 8 - 10 mins

• Crikey! Well all the very best for you tomorrow on the full if I don't catch you before the start. That's an incredible statistic and hopefully tomorrow will see you both on 42 at the end of the day. Sadly, I can't hang around until the end of proceedings as I've got to drive back to my parents for a girlfriend introduction meal (!!!!) - but hopefully will catch you in the morning!!

8-10 mins?? Your home run! image

Not too much further from Sutton Coldfield! - Well about 45 mins I think! 

• Good luck everyone

Driving an hour from Cannock to do the full
  • Good luck everyone just been and had a nose round the course today ( got back an hour ago )

its not too bad, couple of hilly bits but on the whole think its quite a nice flattish course, nice bit of old railway track on the greenway so no traffic about as the roads arent closed make sure you watch for cars there is one busy main road on the course

it is very very pretty the route and you go past the bard's birthplace and burial place within the first 2miles

Mick N Phil i'll look out for you, i'll probably be stood cheering with my girls about mile 2ish ( cant stay duration this time as my eldest daughter with Down's has got a football trial at West Bromwich Albion so obviously thats all important as its a great opportunity for her )

chris J, aldridge, yay my home town, were u at the stick and wicket tues, i came down ( was invited down by my friend Jo ) and wore my VLM medal and t.shirt with pride

am going to join up so will see you next week if you're there, come and say Hi to me

Jo
  • I did a recci to the far end of the greenway today , & a little jog, there are quite a few puddles on the greenway now, I managed to get around them but tomorrow I'll prob go straight through ! It's getting a bit cold here in Stratford tonight.
    Still undecided on which of 3 tops - vest, t shirt, vest & Long sleeve , or either with run jacket
    Hmmm.
  • hi all -

give us a big wave as you reach the water station at mile 7 (where the maypole is) - i look after a charity in Stratford called Lifespace Trust (which is one of Rotary's selected charities for the race) that works with young people facing difficulties, and many of our volunteers will be very happily handing you cups o' water in the rain tomorrow! And cheering you all on!

Having done the half and full in previous years, it's a scenic course, mostly flat... and the big long hill immediately after our water station is worth it for a great view at the top! Honestly!

Enjoy the run - the medals are usually pretty special after...
    Chris
    www.lifespace.org.uk if you wanted to have a peek.