Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

PipG - I have some VERY recent experience of Immodium, had to take some last Saturday due to my stomach doing cartwheels (to put it politely) after weeks of nervous worrying prior to the cup final (ha, what a waste of nervous energy, a crushing 5-1 to the mighty Heart of Midlothian!), they are the bizzo, worked a treat straight away, and no side effects whatsoever. Would certainly recommend.

Magnus, it's High5 gels they're dishing out. I bought my SiS ones last night, don't really see a problem mixing the 2, they're all pretty much the same thing - lots of carb!

Sea fog has rolled in here today by way, but is suppossed to burn off,  but knowing Edinburgh, could be any weather on Sunday, scorching, hurricane, floods, plague of locusts.....

EDIT: 10.05 am, the sun is out!

• Yep, seeing that on current weather for Edinburgh, 12 degrees now? Till fog burns off.

We had Wednesday here expected 24 and the cloud stuck the whole day, big fog over the whole area. That would be nice on Sunday.

Stuart, where are you getting that forecast? 17 would be nice, breeze too

My two apps, currently say 20-21 degrees, averaged out.

Just stay nice and hydrated today / tomorrow?
  • And on the gel front, clif blok shots for me. Less waste, and less mess. 2 cubes every 4 miles. And some haribo for when bored.

I use zeros already so probably stick 3 of these in my bag. They do make it easier to drink water.
  • SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Just popping back in here to wish you all good luck for Sunday - I've still not ran since I last posted image , I still haven;t opened the envelope with my race number in it either! But hoping you all enjoy yourselves and get the times / PBs etc you're looking for image. PS - hope the weather's kind, I'll hopefully be fit enough to do Liverpool or Chester or Loch Ness later this year, or might just limit myself to GSR in Glasgow!

Good luck again everyone image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭

I'm nervous and excited!  Hoping the 12 degree forecast is the "right" one!!

Good luck everyone image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Berger wrote (see)

just realised they're handing out gels not energy drinks now! Is that a late change of heart, very annoying for those who've planned their nutrition around those drinks if so. I have a course map showing where they're handing out energy drinks, so is that out of date?!

Berger, it always has been High5 gels not energy drinks, this year, anyway.  There's info on the EMF website - They're handing them out at 16.75 miles, 21.75 miles and 24.5 miles.  

Hope that helps and good luck,

mitiog

• Sitting at Gatwick and spotting all the other runners! Lol.

Hope the weather picks up for when I land later, it's blistering down this end of the uk. Well at least til Sunday then it can cloud over and cool down. Greedy I know! Lol
  • Only just seen this forum so a little bit late... But good luck on Sunday everyone and see you at the start line!

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Well, final 3M jog was done a few hours ago.  Shortly heading off to the airport to fly up to Edinburgh, another scorcher here today so hope it's cooler north of the border!  Having trained for weeks and weeks in a baselayer and running tights, it feels strange to only need shorts and t-shirt.  As nice as this weather is, wish it turned up next week, oh well, what will be will be guess we'll all need to take on a bit more fluid on the day.  Big mixture of nerves and excitement now, but calmer than yesterday.  Good luck to everyone!

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Did 5mile recovery with 6 x strides at lunch, I can assure you it's a lot warmer than 12c though there is a breeze from the East, will be handy on Sunday as most of the race is facing that way. If you live in the South you'll probably be freezing when you get here though!

Off to tuck away another massive wedge of Soreen now.....image

• Just completed my 16 week training prog with a 3 mile shake down run about an hour ago. Very warm over here on the west coast.

Cant do any more now so best wishes to everyone on Sunday.

I'm going to have a rest on Mon/Tue and then start training for Tough Mudder in July, which will be diferent.

• Has anybody ever added salt to the bottles of water at water stations. Just concerned with there only being water until about 16mls.

• There are water stations every 3 miles.

Gels are being given later in the race.

Hope this helps
  • Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Aude, I'm giving the hydration tabs into water strategy a go this time round, can't see it doing any harm to be honest.

• Hi all,

I have been an infrequent visitor but dialled in to say all the best to everyone for the day.  For myself, targets changed a little, Mrs W had a back injury in Feb that delayed any running till the end of March so we have focussed on getting her up to a reasonable distance to just get round, we will run it together and if it's less than 5 hrs great, if it's less than 6 that's still fine - will just enjoy the day and the scenery (thought prefer some fog than the views).  Would wave at everyone as you pass on the switchback but no idea what anyone looks like !!

Have a lovely day.

• Morning all. Just wanted to wish everyone an enjoyable day on Sunday and if your in the area on Sunday afternoon feel free to pop in to the White Hart at Grassmarket in the centre of Edinburgh for a pint. I think one or two off this thread and the other Edinburgh thread will be there and subject to availability there will be unofficial medals available to all finishers. Should be there from about 4pm onwards.

The unofficiial medals are a long story but I made some in 2010 and those that were there say they cherish them more than the actual medal (those that didn't eat them)

Have a good day anyway and hope you each achieve your goals

• Berger wrote (see)

28 in the Midlands today. Glad to see Sunday in Scotland will be cooler. Just printed off my bus tickets, and I don't know why people are buying them - there is no identifier or runner number on there - just email pdfs to each other on here! Apparently the drivers last year didn't check them anyway - £9 wasted!

I can understand the temptation but if everyone did that the system would fall apart, the organisers would lose money, next year they'd either withdraw the transport option or have to check tickets against runner numbers, we'd all be charged more to cover the increased costs and would end up standing in bus queues for hours as each runner's ticket and I.D. was checked one by one and after we finally got home we'd all be on here whinging about what a crap system it was...

• Fit-Running-Cat:  I got it from the met office website.

Slight change today CLoudy then sunshine from 1pm. Just when we are  starting to find it difficult.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/?tab=fiveDay&dayIdx=1&locId=351351

• Stuffed with pasta, again! Enjoying a restful snoozette on the grass outside the parliament building - which appears to be made out of bamboo!!!!

It's a rare moment when I wish for worse weather.

Good luck everyone.
  • lovely day in Edinburgh today, quite a cool breeze if you can find it. managed to save my legs a bit by taking the open top bus tour. Couldnt resist a pint of Guinness at the Grassmarket, good luck everyone, stay hydrated image

• Good luck everyone. Ran the ten k this morning and not impressed. still being optimistic about tomorrow though. Sleep well everyone and see you at musselburgh
  • Hi all,

Wishing you all the best for anyone running tomorrow in the marathon/half marathon.  I live near the finish point and will be nearby cheering people on to the end.

Forecast reckons 19degrees ish tomorrow with some cloud.....hope that is helpful.

Will be doing the half marathon next year... my first one...eeeek

Enjoy all image

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Least the Edinburgh weather looks like it's gonna help us out, the haar out till the afternoon the sunny afters for outside beers, get in!!

• Anyone doing a list of race numbers ?

White 1719 for me, 9.50 London road start.

If anyone after sub 3:30 try find me

Hi viz buff head gear on also
  • oo what a good idea fit-running-cat.....hope you find some people to run with

I'll cheer u on if i find your number....i'll be near a very large Guide Dogs flag waving guide dogs balloons like a mad thing, i'll be somewhere near the end

(grabs pad and pen to write number down)

• 12704, purple regent road at the back with the plodders. 

• 7875 green start regent road for me. Come on greens and pull NE along image
  • cool, all noted, hope you ffind people to run with

Do you prefer to run with people or on your own?

• 489 Red london road. Good luck to all! See you at that school.

• Samantha, look for hi viz yellow buff hat, sun glasses on.

White top with Dravats Syndrome UK on it.

Suspect you may see me from a distance. You'll be at 9 & 26 or just 26 ish?

I'm happy to run with people, form up, keep pace going and use team work.