Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• Ok running cat...not sure where yet but im guessing ill be sumwhere by mile 25 or26....ill have a huge guide dog flag with me as I work for them but ill look out for U

Good luck all image
  • Setting off from hotel now to queue for the loo - good luck everyone
  • Just wanted to say a big well done to everyone who ran in the half anf full marathon today, weather was ridiculously hot (as I can testify to with my very sore sunburn)....I kept my out for you all at my cheering point just after 9 mile marker/just before 26 mile marker...I did see a couple of you.

You have all inspired me and I will be at the gym tomorrow with renewed vigour.

Well done all image

• Hello everyone. Hope everyone finished and not too sore. Aiming for sub 4.15 and finished with 4.14.36 so made up. Only pain is sunburn like samantha. Much better organisation than last year and pretty medal. Off now for burger and maybe a cheeky vodka but just one. Well done to everyone - who's pre registered for 2013 image
  • well done duffs...I am pre-registered, will be doing the half though image

• Cheers samantha. Good luck then and may see you there.
  • Oh my God that was hell! Can't believe how insanely hot it was. Without a doubt the hardest, most painful and in some ways worst experience of my life. Hobbling about now in plenty of pain.

Was aiming at 3h40 and think I did it in 3h41, just couldn't believe how badly I struggled from 14 miles. Saw a lot of people in a bad way so I really hope everyone made it through ok. Would love to hear how you all got on.
  • the heat was too much for me!!! coped well until mile 12 and then just felt dizzy and couldn't get my breathing pattern right! Ended up finishing 30mins slower than my PB....not too dissapointed as just delighted i finished - was touch and go for a while!

I thought the organisation was good, although there did seem to be a long while with no energy station - from mile 16 onwards? or maybe thats just a reflection of how i was feeling!

the crowd everywhere were great, and made all the difference. Well done edinburgh people!!!

• well done both....i wasn't running it but was at the side cheering u all on..altho judging by some of the comments from a few runners as they went passed, not everyone appreciates the cheering it would seem image

lxwood - i was chatting to quite a few runners when i went to the finish and there were others who didn't run to PB's cos of the heat too

Personally I think you all did really well, whatever time you came in at image

• anyone have any idea what temp it was? I, like many, struggled in the midday sun. I was on course for sub 4 until about 12:30 and then I just realised I had nothing left in me. Took me 4h 31 in the end and I was just glad to lie in some shade for an hour or so!

• met office say it was 20 deg c today

• shawnus - glad i'm not the only one who had the heat effect their planned time so much!! i wasn't just shy of a PB - I was a whole 30 mins from one!

samantha - surely everyone appreciates the cheering/support? personally, i think it gives a massive lift and i always try to smile or say thanks to everyone that cheers me on or in the case of today sprays water at me!!

I saw a few bad casualties, hoping everyone is ok.

• Samantha definitely appreciated the cheering and it kept me running the last mile or so when I was so tempted to walk. So thank you
  • thanks lxwood...no i was swore at a few times image.....thankfully it was the few and not the majority so i ignored them image

one guy collapsed and bust his lip, a lady had bad nose bleed and one runner collapsed with heat exhaustion...that i know of...but they all finished image

• Yes lxwood, also glad to hear I wasn't the only one! 

Samantha, I will always welcome public support. In face where there is a lot of support has a great impact on my races and how much I enjoy the event. Keep it up!

• Thanks shawnus....next year I'll be doing the half marathon but will cheer on the full marathoners again.....despite the miserable few image
  • really only 20 degrees?! It felt a lot hotter! It was definately 26 when we got back to Glasgow and that was at 6pm!

• yes bbc says it was 19 in Edinburgh today, but from the sunburn I've seen and what I felt even later at 3pm, it was nearer 23/24 surely?

Was very hot and hard, but chuffed to say PB by nearly 20 mins image 3.23.

Route was actually quite pleasant, enjoyed the country park bit, no fun trying to get back to Edinburgh with the long tramp from the finish to the park and ride buses - only really annoying bit that.

But well done to all, and I hope the bloke who was vomiting at mile 18 in the park managed to get back ok!

• That was definitely the hardest run I've ever done, felt good to mile 16, despite the heat then deteriorated badly at the turn, it was such a drag my body just seemed to give up at 17.5. Had to run/walk after that and finished with a 5:35:17 which I would have been happy with at the start but gutted I had to walk.

This was the first run I've done with my name on my vest and the support was fantastic so thanks Samantha, it really helps when people are calling your name.

I'd be interested to see how many actually finished as was tough out there today.

Well done to everyone, the jury's still out as t wether I try another.
  • I just wanted to start by saying very well done to everybody who participated in the Edinburgh Marathon today. 

I was personally hoping to set a PB but Instead I ended up dropping out after around 9 miles. I don't know what happened to me. I wasn't injured, I just felt overwhelmingly fatigued. I don't feel that I was underprepared, I had done plenty of running in preparation and had completed no fewer miles in training than I have done for past marathons. 

I don't want to make excuses, I think ultimately I just wasn't on my game today.But  I have been trying to consider what may have caused me to fall so short of completing the marathon. It was very warm for the marathon, so that certainly didn't help. I also got a bit sunburnt the day before the marathon, which was foolish of me.

• I just wondered if anybody else had a similar experience? I must admit I was not best pleased with myself for dropping out, and for a time I thought I might even shed a couple of tears.

• Tough there steady eddy. It was hot today, more than the temp actually shows... Lots of burnt people.

Jonesy, sure I cheered you on as I went past on the side, remember a Jonesy name & similar face to your photo,

Whatever I did, with buff headgear & carrying a hand water bottle worked perfectly,

A more than 20 minute PB, finished in exactly my target of 3:28
  • well done jonesy and FRC. Both proper accomplishments in the heat today. Enjoyed today and thought the finish was much improved from last year. Agree about the buses but at the same time I'm not sure how I'd feel after finishing and jumping straight on the bus I think the walk really loosens my legs for the sittting on the bus.

Anyone pre registered for next year yet? image
  • I'm sorry but there's absolutely no way it was only 19/20 degrees!!!

I only have London to compare it to but I'd say Edinburgh was a harder course and not just because it was hot. Much nicer scenery though! My GPS also told me I'd run 26.72 miles. Must have been from running round all those poor collapsed people. I hope everyone was ok.

I was on for my goal of under 4 hrs making 18 in 2.34 but then just overheated. Legs were ok but my head cldnt keep up. Ended up with a 4.07. It's a pb but only by a minute. I am very disappointed. I now feel I have to do an autumn marathon, rather than wait until next year. Any suggestions?

Well done everyone.
  • I saw you jonesy n cheered U on image

judging by lack of sleep due to painful sunburn id agree metoffice got temp wrong

Is the weather for Edinburgh marathon always sunny?
  • Ps definitely putting my name on my tshirt for 10k in October......image
  • Well done everyone on there run yesterday in hot hot hot conditions.

I bombed massivley and did not run a PB..and almost got a PW but not quite ...I was hoping for sub 4.15 or at least a PB..did last year in 4.36...but alas the heat got to me and all my other niggles too..just wasn't my day...finished in 5.02.59.

I have very bad leg pain this morning and was up during night with it...paain down front of left thigh and sore when I Put weight on it...thoughts anyone of what this could be???????

Samantha..cannot believe people do not appreciate support..it's the only thing that keeps you going at times when its a struggle and for me it was.

WELL DONE TO ALL......See you next year????????????

• Samantha ...no last year we had sun,wind rain and hail..a right mixture but that seemed to suit me better thn yesterdays heat....Yesterday was my 3rd edinburgh full and the 1st year was hot,2nd as i said above and then yesterday. The year before I did the full..i did hairy haggis and it was hot too....We just never get it ideal..lol..such is life though......I am burnt too...........

• I am burnt too. With panda eyes from wearing sunglasses yesterday. Legs are sore today as well so will be avoiding climbing stairs! Crowd support was great yesterday, thanks Samantha. It really got me through the last mile or so. Think the kids with water pistols must have enjoyed all the running targets to practice on too!

My plan at start was just to get round without stopping as ran Paris last month and didn't think legs had fully recovered from it. But weirdly managed to get a pb by 6 minutes. Delighted with 3h 35m 13s. Celebrated with an extra large 99 cone with two flakes! Well done to everyone out there yesterday.
  • Samantha I have run 3 Edinburghs and think that yesterday was the COOLEST yet! 2010 was 26 degrees and hell. I think the other was 2009 (or 2008) and was maybe similar to yesterday.

It was tough and respect to all finishers. For those that didn't finish then don't beat yourselves up about it. Use the disappointment as a positive and find another marathon in the Autumn. Yesterday's experience will come back to you at every training run and you will smash your next race.

I didn't PB either but was more than happy to run a strong race and get a good result. 15th overall and 3rd in age group finishing in 2:40:22. Out in 1:18 and back in 1:22 only fading slightly at 23miles. I ran from 10-17 miles and never saw another runner and thought the support was great and definitely welcomed. As I was running on my own it was obvious that people were cheering me and spent mile after mile giving them thumbs up or a wave. If people don't appreciate support then just ignore it - don't swear or criticise. What is wrong with some people?

Anyway, a good day, lots of fun and a laugh in the pub after. Great to meet fit running cat and hope you enjoyed the doughnut medals!