Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• Smiley - I am looking at others for the autumn too. I am thinking either Loch Ness or Amsterdam.

• I am booked in for Liverpool. 19 weeks 6 days to go...image
  • After yesterdays dissapointment I'm thinking an autumn marathon could be on the cards. Reckon I'll do Loch Ness.

• I'm doing Amsterdam as well. Can't wait to start training for it!
  • FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭
    I can thoroughly recommend loch ness for anyone looking for a good autumn option. Lovely low-ish key race but big enough to benefit from slick organisation. Bit hilly late on though

Heat got to me a bit yesterday. Bit disappointed with 3.02. As it warmed up I got progressively shitter! Oh well. There's always the next one. Doing Abingdon in October
  • Hello,

Firstly, well done everyone, the heat was too much for me and ended up 4:44, was aiming for 4. I dont operate well in the heat, luckily I wore sunglasses and had applied P20 sunscreen, but still got a lot of color. I too felt dizzy at around 16 miles despite drinking enough, and my god, WHAT WAS THAT SMELL between 18 and 19?!? I thought I was going to be sick. Was on course until 17, legs felt ok, but for some reason the soles of my feet were killing me, 5 marathons and that has never happened, not even in practice runs. Just glad to finish in the end without big injury, getting married this weekend so have a dance to do!!

I have done both Lock Ness and Amsterdam and would recommend both, Lock Ness is unbelievably hilly so lots of hill work needed, beautifully serene as you run along the lock as well, good organisation. Amsterdam, my absolute favorite, great organisation, lovely cool oranges at the end, cant fault it at all and doing it again this year.

Regards,P.

• It's weird. Marathons before stairs and rapid moving have been a problem - but today I'm not too bad. Stairs aren't a problem either. I guess testament that my legs didn't work as hard as before.. oh well. It was a slight pb but I will just have to smash it with a new pb. 

I am thinking I will go with amsterdam. I have Eaing half on the 7th - that will be a good warm up for the marathon on the 22nd.  Better that way than doing a marathon and then a half a week later!

• I am doing Abingdon in October to Fraser..hopefully won't be as hot then image and hope my legs recover in time to train for it and maybe i will get my mara PB.....

Paul..you had a day like me then and yep that smell was awful and did make me puke image...lol...not nice

• Is Amsterdam flat? I have to break that 4 hours!
  • Totally flat, it will give you the best possible chance of breaking the 4 hour barrier, it's also the scene if my PB, which was my first time under 4 hours, I got a 3:52 there. Also, its a good temp.

• Amsterdam is amazing - i loved it and would reccomend to anyone!

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

organisation was bang on, but why did Lothian buses decide not to run any buses into the town leaving the town deserted?

• Really enjoyed the event pverall despite the heat, having done a PB in Belfast 3 weeks ago of 4:05 I though I had a chance of breaking 4 hours but with the heat and a problem with blisters which caused me to stop and apply plasters I came in at 4:30 to the very second which I was happy with in the conditions.   I thought the support was fantastic throughout and really helped get you through all those mini-walls, especially all the kind people with their hoses, lucky there's no hosepipe ban in the Edinburgh Region!   My only recommendation on how it could be improved would be to have some energy drinks at the energy stations, I was really craving something sugary and the bottled water whilst refreshing just wasn't quite hitting the spot, at mile 25 a guy who had set up a mini water station outside his house had a bottle of blackcurrant cordial and it helped me have a quick last mile!  Hope everyone isn't too sore today and is looking forward to their next run.

• I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday and even managed a PB. However, my Mum had bought a parking ticket for Musselburgh Racecourse from the marathon website on Saturday, only to find out when she got there that it was closed with no explanation given. She then had to drive around for over an hour trying to get parked-if we had known in advance she would have just got the train to the finish. Seems the organisers got everything right this year, except for that.

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hi all!  

Good to see the race reports trundling in. I was very happy with both my time, 3.07 bang on (new course for me), and how the race went, it couldn't have been any better, kept it steady (7.11min miles) for the 1st 18, then at the turn back to Musselburgh took a gamble (as the heat was unreal, with the wind now behind us) and stuck the foot down, I pretty much managed to get a negative split out those last 8 (my half time was 1.34.11) and had enough in the tank for a sprint finish down the home straight. Great day, and gives a good base for Autumn,talking of which....  

Was going to go for another tilt at Amsterdam again, as have done it last 3 years and each time PB'd as it is a great race and very flat, fast, course, race times being 3.07, 3.01.40 and 2.57.44 (my only sub 3!), but totally scunnered as my other half is a teacher and they've moved the race back a week so looks like we'll not manage to make it as the hols don't tie up, REALLY gutted as was looking forward to my 4th Dam race. Cannot recommend it highly enough, if you want a PB, head there. 

I am now thinking of the Cologne marathon on 14th Oct, looks a good race, well organised, and quite flat, has anyone else done it, if so, any reviews would be great.  

WELL DONE to everyone yesterday, that was quite a test in that heat, by way, it was WAY over 19c, our friends car thermometer had it at 24c. Have a good rest and all best for future races folks.

• Some extra info pieced together - full marathon had 12,635 entrants (not sure how many actually started rather than entered) and 8077 finished. Well done everyone and hope that everyone is okay image

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Well done to everyone who finished yesterday in very difficult conditions. Was looking for sub 3.55 but started off too quickly and really suffered after 18 miles. Finished in 4.03.36. Still my third fastest marathon so not too unhappy.

Have given the organisers a bit of stick after last year's finish debacle so it's only fair to say that I thought they got it pretty well right yesterday. The finishing area was a million times better than last year and although the walk to the buses is a bit of a pain I virtually walked straight onto one at what was presumably their busiest times.

Finally a big thanks to the spectators who I thought were superb.

• thanks lxwood...no i was swore at a few times image.....thankfully it was the few and not the majority so i ignored them image

one guy collapsed and bust his lip, a lady had bad nose bleed and one runner collapsed with heat exhaustion...that i know of...but they all finished image

• LindsayYLindsayY ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Some cracking times posted despite the heat!

Steady Eddy - I also pulled out.  I dropped out at mile 15.  I was going to drop out anyway as I was struggling from about mile 11, but when a guy collapsed in front of me just past the mile 15 marker, I stayed with him until the paramedics arrived.  That only took 7 or 8 minutes, but I stayed on a bit longer to see he was ok.  Once the paramedic confirmed all okay, I decided at that point to call it a day. 

For the first time, I ran more than one spring marathon - yesterday was my 3rd in 6 weeks (brighton and belfast being the others).  I was determined to get a sub 4, but only managed to get a 4 hour 13 at brighton.  Still a PB but a huge disappointment.  Have definitely realised more than one marathon per spring is too much for me.  I'll put my efforts into more focussed and better training for one marathon in future, and try to get that sub 4.

I've no doubt I would have dropped out even if someone hadn't collapsed next to me.  I'm pretty disappointed with my mental strength yesterday, but like you Steady Eddy, I just felt exhausted and couldn't see how i could do another 11 miles.

Onwards and upwards tho!  Once again well done to all who completed the marathon yesterday.  So so hot, and I tip my hats to you.

PS the guy that collapsed was ok, the paramedic reckons it was dehydration and over heating.  He was sitting up and seemed to be ok as I left him.

• To put things into perspective about how bloody hot it was out there yesterday, at about 20 miles I went past a guy wearing a marathon de Sables finishers t-shirt who looked fairly miserable...

I had hemmed and hawed about pulling out due to a calf injury (and also partly because I can't stand running in the heat) but in the end my dodgy leg held up fine. About the only part of me that did! Felt well rested, was careful not to set off too fast, made it halfway in 2:02 and still felt great, got to 16 miles and then just gradually fell apart after that. Finally staggered in just under 4:25 which was a massive pb for me so even though it all went a bit tits-up near the end I'm still very pleased. That 'training' thing did the trick alright. LOL!

I thought the organisation was great - enough water, enough gels, enough first aiders for all the poor folk who collapsed in the heat. Haven't heard any news reports so assume all the casualties recovered okay and there were no serious medical emergencies.

My only gripe was that having heard an announcement at the start that Fauja Singh was running a leg of the relay, I spent well over an hour at the finish asking if he was there and whether all the Sikh runners had their own tent or club stand or something like that, and nobody knew anything about it. I thought they'd have made more of a fuss out of having him as a runner and I was really hoping to catch a glimpse of him. Oh well. I suppose maybe he just wanted to go home and get his feet up and didn't want to be besieged by sweaty gawpers. Fair enough...

• just looked up the finishing time for my pal who ran yesterday, her first marathon in 4:59:49...fab image

• Thanks for the advice on Amsterdam and other autumn marathons.  I will definitely be trying to find one to get in to.

Would have been good to try to meet up with a few of you yesterday but I had to tear-arse back to the shuttle buses to get back to the airport for my flight. By the way, the airport express bus - not so much with the express!!  The event shuttle buses were brilliant.  I'd do this run again but hope for cooler weather.  I thought there were more people running than 8000 but that might have been heat-induced double vision!! 

Went for a stretch and good old roll on the foam rolly things at the gym this morning and apart from the odd sore spot, the shorts-shaped sunburn and a vague spacey feeling, I'm absolutely fine.  Shows what proper prep does for you.

Enjoying a well earned schooner of red collapso tonight - mmmmmmmm. xx

• Just back from a nice swim and jacuzzi - and now a chip bap and chocolate image 

Back on it tomorrow with 4 miles easy. 

• A shocking yet momorable race for me yesterday. 6th marathon and the first time I've not set a new personal best in the process! 

Neil mac, sounds like we had similar races up until the last few miles when I crashed and burned! I also did 7.10 - 7.15 for the first 18 or so miles then tried to push the pace, but it didn't work out!

• 3:37 for myself in my first marathon. At mile 23 it was going to be my last but I don't think it will be.

I'm really struggling to walk today and it is getting worse. Two steps forward and one to the side or my knees buckle.....

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

1st off, Samantha, (sun)hats off to you for standing out there and giving your support, I think that's brilliant, I'm sure those that swore at you may have down so just as they were at the end of their tether, I'll bet if they think about it afterwards they'd feel bad about it. I remember at London this year, it was the 1st time in my life the crowd worked in th opposite way for me, instead of a spur, in the last 3 or 4 miles I just wnated them all to shut up, it shows how much your mind can go when your realling feeling the pain, yesterday, the crowds at the end really spurred me on, it was brilliant as I summoned up that last bit of energy, so THANKS to you for being part of that.image

Have now read a few more race reports, think whoever it was that said they saw a bloke toiling who was wearing a 'Marathon De Sables' t-shirt really says it all! Don't feel bad about fading out, or even pulling up, it's a lesson for next time. That's now 3 out the last 4 years it's been VERY hot though, 2009 and 2010 were actually hotter, mid to high 20's, and pretty much the hottest days of each year here, you couldn't make it up!

Dhale750, and others, if you want to know what the 'secret' is for holding out, or even getting faster, in those last miles of marathons, then it's all contained in what I call the Marathon Bible (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/reviews/books/how-to-books/-advanced-marathoning-by-pete-pfitzinger-and-scott-douglas/519.html) by Douglas & Pfitzinger, quite simply, it's transformed by running, and deffo got me my 1st ever sub 3. It was actually recommended by most of the guys on the Sub3 thread on here, and these blokes really know their stuff. I wonder if MC Dave may have something to say about it. Basically read and understand what they tell youo, stick to their schedules (I go by the 18week 55-70mile per week one) and I'm confident you'll be crushing your PB's in the autumn. All the long runs concentrate on running fater in the last part of the run, hence I've had a neg split in 3 out the 4 races since I started following the schedules. Sometimes I could wring the authors necks as it's tough, but I'd also like to shake their hands for getting me that Sub3.

As for Autumn races, yep, Amsterdam, flat as it comes and massive PB potential, Loch Ness, my only advice there is hill training on top of more hill training as there are plenty of those on that course!

Cheers folks, all best.

N.  

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Oh, and I just signed up for Cologne mara on 14th October, looks fab!! Cannot wait! image

• got that book, but can't see myself having the time or inclination to commit to 60+ miles a week anytime soon. Some interesting stuff in there though. I prefer the 'Competitive Runners Handbook' by Bob Glover - finally up to 'advanced competitor' on Bob's tables!

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Evening Folks,

Arrived back in Norwich shortly from an excellent, excellent weekend in Edinburgh.  To anyone local reading this, I officially love your city.  Second visit from me and cannot fault the place, great pubs, lovely buildings, friendly folk and a beautiful place to live.  And also now home to my first ever marathon!  I am pretty certain I'll be back one day.

Great to take the time to read other people's reports of their race, good and bad, just goes to show we are all human and things can and do indeed go wrong.  It's how we respond next that's the true test of character.

First ever marathon for me so nothing to compare with, but after reading about the shoddy organisation I went fearing the worst but felt it was handled pretty well, maybe they've learnt from everyone's comments and taken it on board.

Well I went to Edinburgh after five months of training desperate to go sub 4.  I couldn't believe the heat and after a Saturday traipse round Princes Street, The Royal Mile and the Castle, by 2pm I was tired and sunburnt.  Silly boy.  Sunday I got to the start in plenty of time, jumped in the queue for the toilets and looked at my left arm.  It was bare.   S**T!!!!!!! No Garmin!!!!!!!!  I could not believe it.  In 18 months of running I had never forgot it once, biggest race of my life, first ever marathon and nothing.  I was absolutely gutted, how the hell was I gonna pace myself now?!?!?  Grabbed my Dad's watch off him, it was better than nothing.  Oh well....

Couldn't believe the heat and after only a few miles I thought this is just wrong, it's just too hot.  Thought I'd gone to Scotland to run my first marathon, not the Balearics!  Thankfully a bit of breeze came off the coast and as another runner nearby pointed out, those locals with hosepipes were heroes, simple as that.

I felt ok once I settled down and recovered from the missing Garmin.  Decided to run the race in 5M chunks knowing that if it started at 10am, I had to hit mile 5 at 10:45, mile 10 at 11:30 etc.  I was about a minute out on each one and as much as I tried to pick up the pace, there wasn't much happening.  Got to mile 20 and thought well, I'm feeling ok, if I'm gonna try and push, now's the time, only 10k left.  Started weaving my way through runners and felt really good for a couple of miles but things slowed again at 23M.  How hard is mile 24 to 25?!?!?  The last mile you know you've nearly done, but the one before last, oh my god, it feels like you are just running for ever and ever!!  Was beginning to feel my left leg giving way a couple of times towards the end but the crowd was a tremedous boost - especially around the disco bus!  Got close to the finish and saw my family, which was fantastic, almost emotional.  Crossing the line the clock said 4:04:57 last time I looked.  Spent the evening thinking I might've 3:59 / 4:00 / 4:01'd so when I logged on for my time this morning and it said 3:55:26 I was absolutely made up!!  Felt like the conditions might've denied me a sub 4 but to have nailed it after five months of training is just the most satisfying feeling ever.  Amazing experience.

Thanks to all the locals coming out and giving support, it's a massive effort to get out on the streets and just cheer strangers on when you could easily be busy doing any of the other jobs we have to get on with in our daily lives.  We might be working hard running 26.2 but showing your support for hours on end takes a massive amount of dedication.  There must be lots of sore hands and throats today so thank you so much.

• nice one Monk. 9 minutes to cross the line, that's a wait and a bit. I just use a regular stopwatch, and an old-fashioned timing band on my wrist! I must admit the Garmins annoy me a bit when they're always beeping around you near mile markers, but just being grumpy I s'pose. Think I've got timing down now, was within 10 seconds at halfway, and didn't look at my watch from there onwards, just focused on passing people if I could. Thought I was speeding up but ended up with splits of 1.41/1.42, so I was just maintaining speed whilst others (not everyone!) were slowing up!