Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Thank you for having me Edinburgh, roll on Amsterdam in October!  You might well see me again Edinburgh if for no other reason than I need to record your marathon on my Garminimage

Much love and respect to everyone who got out there and gave it everything they had whether you PB'd, came close, debuted, suffered in the heat, PW'd or DNF'd.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Monk x

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

ps. I spend nine months a year in a baselayer.  Chafed nipples are the most hideous pain ever!!!!!!!

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Berger, I think they must start the race timer from the 9:50am start on London Road and then us on Regent Road just tag on.  I was at the front in pink pen so was over the line in about a minute odd.

My biggest concern about not having the Garmin is it's now difficult to assess my race and take things forward for marathon #2.  Sure I've got the mental experience of the race, the pain and determination I need, but I'd love to see how my splits across the run panned out, my HR, quickest mile that sort of thing.

• I crossed the finish line at 4:39 on the clock but my official chip time was under 4:25. Looking at the stats recorded on my Garmin, I didn't actually get across the start line till 10:09...

• Monk, great stuff. I've done the forgotten Garmin thing on a 20miler race .... Actually ran better. But too marks to you.

Berger, I use a garmin, but with the auto 1m mark off for races, and do manual lap.. So you get the pace advice but run the proper distance. So best mix of stop watch & gps. I did have a pace band as well though, with the heat yesterday, brain starts to do odd things.

Lovely meeting people yesterday. The medal is quite (cough) cock shaped... So with the unofficial ring donut medal, was a well fitting combo. Very inventive thinking!

Thanks to Fraser for course details, I really enjoyed the course and would do it again... All the bad feedback? Much improved I guess.

MC Dave, Fraser and others, I'm thinking of doing Amsterdam, but not 100% decided yet on doing another autumn marathon this year. Could be a big pasta party if happened.
  • Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Heading to bed, but v quickly, MONK, that report was the best reading I've seen on here in a long while, BRILLIANT stuff, be proud of your achievement! And tanks for the kind words about my home town, I'm very proud of Edinburgh and at last yesterday the organisers of it's marathon got pretty much everything spot on. Plus, I knew the locals would come good, they always do, the support was 'barry' as we say up here. Good luck in the Dam, it's a great race and you'll blast it (it's also the scene of my one and only Garmin balls up by way, dead battery on morning of race). Once you've forgotten it once, you never will again.

Cheers!

PS, chaffed nips? Micropore tape, one wee square inch on each and no more rub, trust me. image

• Ps run with dogs Fauja Singh was there, he ran past on other side from me on way back in relay marathon.

Friends also got a photo with him, but not sure if before or after. Think before.

Mustn't forget to mention kids with water pistols, and mums dads with garden hoses. All gratefully accepted ... Kids chased me for 100m at one point shooting at will... Was very funny. Only time of year they could have some fun!
  • Thanks Neil mac...much appreciated I loved being part of it even tho I wasn't running.

I've registered for the half marathon next year...eeek my first one coz U all inspired me so much

Well done everyone image
  • Neil Mac I concur on Pfitzinger and Douglas but only partially. I read it with interest last year but due to injury I had to change my plan a lot in the build up to London. Had planned to use the 18 week 70-85 mile/week until I realised that I have weekends away and holidays (basically I have a life) It also had 90 miles in the last 13 days before the race. Now I realise that some of that is recovery running but it just didn't feel right to me to me.

Decided to take the mechanics of it with regard to tempo, and threshold work but base it around my calendar but also with some core work in there and some sessions dedicated entirely to flexibility. Hopefully it will deliver me to Amsterdam in tip top condition.

Just a note on the organisation  as I have berated the organisers many times in Edinburgh. This year was pretty good and I think they are getting there with it. I still  think there are one or two things that could be done but on the whole a much better event than in the past.

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

I used P and D for one campaign but got injured so it coloured my view of it. For some reason I found it a bit dull too - maybe a good idea to use it as a framework and taylor it to your own needs. It does a VERY heavy taper too no matter which plan you use.

I'm an Edinburgh resident too and glad people liked the place. It's 9 degrees and drizzling today....grrr. There was an article in our local paper yesterday which said it was "19 degrees" - bo!!ocks - and "ideal running conditions" - double bo!!ocks. Clearly writeen by some joker who's never run a step in his life 

Abingdon next up for me.Looking forward to it already

• Funny about the P&D discussion. I've got the book, read it and couldn't work out how to fit it in. 5-6 days of running is also too much for my body to take. And ah... A bit boring? image

I do 3 runs a week (a very rare 4)... I go to my running club for their 3 sessions (speed/ tempo/ long part trail run) and just add 4-5 miles before them, a varying amount on the long one.

Add a weekly tough circuit class, and a speed / strength class,.. Instructors at my gym are current premier league & Olympic fitness coaches which is handy.

2 rest days a week to stay fresh..

Looking at my diary on Garmin website I've not gone over 40 miles a week often, maybe twice since January. Half marathon in March and 2 tune up training races of 20 miles plus in April.

Got me my sub 3:30 time so very happy with that.
  • Oh, I meant to ask about everyone's Garmins and other GPS trackers... I definitely didn't start mine till I got over the start line but from very early on in the race it was beeping off the mile laps way before each mile marker. I went through each mile with it reading 0.2 of a mile extra and had clocked up 26.4 by the finish. Can't remember exactly but think we ran under a couple of bridges near the start, which probably confused it a bit. Anybody else notice the same?

• Yes - me!  In fact mine read .2 of a mile extra until somewhere towards the end when it steadily rose.  In the end I clocked 26.72 miles!  I assume a small amount of that was due to weaving and not following the exact marathon line but half a mile!!!!

• I had the mile markers being out in some places but was doing a manual lap on garmin..at least when I remembered. Sometimes the water stop was near to same point so pressed it late.

In particular I know I pressed it correctly for mile 1 & 2, and knew I was bang on 7:45-55 pace... Mile 1 marker came up at 9min 30 and 1.25 miles distance ?

and mile 2 6m 40.. So clearly something wrong on those.

I almost panicked but realised what it was.

Overall though my watch read 26.25 so pretty close
  • Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Yep, as Fraser was saying earlier, it's cold and drizzly here in Edinburgh today, perfect marathon running weather, grrr.

Re Garmins, they're never totally accurate, plus you can always add on a bit of distance for weaving here and there. My one clocked in at 26.4 which I'd say was about right (it was also going off before most of the markers). Think at London it came in at 26.6. I've never done a marathon where they were 100% in sync with either the markers, or the distance.

On subject of P&D, oh yeah, I have a life as well and fitting in their schedules is tough (my other halfs critique of Douglas after reading his biog in the book "what a sad, boring, b&stard"), but you can't argue with the principles behind it. I've just tried to fit in as much of it as I can in my life (i.e. visits to the pub image), but it's certainly helped bring down my times follwing what they tell you.

I''m of to read about Cologne now, anyone else fancy it?

N.

• What can i say, what an awesome weekend up in Edinburgh. Who would have thought you could go Edinburgh and get sun burn?!?! lol.

Loved the city and I had a great time in my 1st Marathon. The weather really took it out of me at about mile 18, I was going good up to that point and on course for my planned time. I ended up finishing with a 4:44, which for my 1st go is not too bad. I even mustered up a sprint finish at the end. The benchmark has been set and now to improve!!

Can anyone give me any good suggestions for my next marathon please??

• Neil, I was going to do Cologne but plumped for Amsterdam instead. Cologne does look like a quickie though and maybe one for future years (for me)

Michael, if your looking for an Autumn one then Amsterdam is still open and flat as you like!

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Dave, you will stroll it at Dammers, it's a brilliant race and course, it's fast as you can get really, gutted I can't make it back there again, but Cologne looks more than a decent replacement, plus always good to go somewhere new.

• Has anyone managed to see all the results and not just their own? Usually you can view everyone's times - I know I came 98 in my category - just wanted to know if that was last really!

• I was going to ask that Nikki. I know my time, but I would like to see a pdf of the full list. Anyone know how?

• Mile markers are usually put up on the nearest lamp post, so won't be accurate. There might be a mark in the road that the couse measurer made when he measured the course.

I, too, would like a full list of results

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

FRC, I put the forgotton Garmin down to being in a hotel room and not in my flat, just not quite the age old routine - should've got it out and put it next to my t-shirt on Saturday evening - live and learn!!

Oh, glad I wasn't the only one to notice the phallic nature of the medal hehe!

Glad the medal is decent and also pleased the t-shirt is good.  Heard about marathoners getting HM t-shirts last year so I am happy to see 2012 marathon finisher blazened across the front.  Can't wait to proudly wear that baby in the gym next week.

Thanks Neil Mac, glad you enjoyed my report, very kind of you to say so in such glowing terms!  Not difficult to say nice things about Edinburgh, visiting was an absolute pleasure!  Oh and thanks for the tip on the nipple tape, I will DEF be doing that in future!  Really looking forward to the Dam now too!

Fraser, 9 degrees and drizzle sounds lovely, not for the spectators but most of us runners would've revelled in conditions like that!

Michael Leer, come and join the few of us from this thread in Amsterdam on October 21st!!  I got talking to a fellow marathon first timer queueing for the toilet at the start and she said Amsterdam was more than likely going to be her second.  Given how many Brits seem to go over, I highly doubt many Dutch folk even get the chance to run in it haha!

Legs are sorer today than yesterday, think all the walking around Edinburgh kept them loose, today they are elevated up on the sofa and I am walking to and from the kettle for a cuppa very wonkily!!  Sports massage on Thursday image

• Let me know how Cologne is Neil - I think it will be 2014 for me (Berlin again in 2013 as its their 40th anniversary)

Good point about the full results - I have been looking for it as well. I did find it somewhere on Sunday night when I was drunk but I'm buggered if I can find it now. I think there was a tab for top ten of each race and I clicked on that and you could scroll through the following pages. I know I found it as I worked out my category position and compared it to those that beat me.

Will have another look in a bit.

• 3333 ✭✭

Well done to everyone who took part in the heat. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my first marathon and thought it was pretty well organised, although i havent really got much to compare it to, other than comments from previous years. 

my fears of being stuck in the wrong pen (white) were soon dismissed as i just walked straight in the middle of the red pen with some friends. 

i settled into the race after the first few miles of quite heavy traffic and just concentrated on doing my own thing and was enjoying running somewhere completely new. I thought the turnaround point and through the  park section was the toughest as i began to feel a little lost without any support from the crowd but, i took my mind off it by having a chat with another runner. 

The supporters were great throughout and having my name on my shirt helped with encouragement. I faded a bit in the final 2 miles but by that point i was thinking more about what i had acheived rather than how far i had left to go. With that and the increased support towards the finish i came home in 2.52.21 which i was delighted with. 

Overall i loved the experience of doing a marathon and the support and respect amongst other runners and we all had a great time in edinburgh. A great place. 

Going to let the legs recover now and then think about the next one. Think ive got the bug!

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Cracking time 33 - looked like you were on for a good one from your training. I think I jinxed myself by obsessing about the heat too much during race week then letting it mess with my mindimage. Next time I'm not looking at the forecast and just focus on the factors I can control

I always put those fabric plasters on my nips. Two little red "eyes" on your vest at the finish line is just too unpleasant

• image @ 33 - stonking first marathon time - no wonder you're delighted!

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

With you all on the results, would like to know how many took part, compare category, etc. Actually, does anyone know how many started the marathon?

Dave, I'm gonna set up a Cologne 2012 thread, if it doesnt get much response then I'll just chip into the Dammers thread seeing how I've plenty experience of that one. will certainly let you know what I think of it after though.

33 - Jeezuz, unreal time for a 1st marathon, absolutely brilliant, well done.

I've done 16 and only once cracked the 3, and now after Sunday have done most under 3.10, The Nearly Man that's me, sob....

Now, off to check those results again....

• Thought one or two might be interested in my previous Edinburgh summaries in my diary.

2009 - Run in 24 degree heat with very little shade. Strong run setting PB for 10k and close to PB at HM. Suffered from 16-22. Need more base miles next time around. Good consistent running at 6.45 pace!

2010 - Baking hot conditions made for a very tough race with the last miles being particularly challenging. A quick start made a PB very possible but the pace was impossible to sustain with the rising temperatures.

There is a bit of a theme here!

• 3333 ✭✭

Thanks folks. 

Neil Mac- 16 marathons, thats impressive. 

I tried to beat the heat with plenty of water over my head and that seemed to help until the last couple of miles. by that stage it was more a case of me tightening up rather than the heat. Similarly to MC Dave summary from 2009, i think i could do with putting more base miles in next time. 

• runs-with-dogs wrote (see)

Oh, I meant to ask about everyone's Garmins and other GPS trackers... I definitely didn't start mine till I got over the start line but from very early on in the race it was beeping off the mile laps way before each mile marker. I went through each mile with it reading 0.2 of a mile extra and had clocked up 26.4 by the finish. Can't remember exactly but think we ran under a couple of bridges near the start, which probably confused it a bit. Anybody else notice the same?

26.46 miles on my Garmin.