Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Dave, aye, 09 & 10 were absolutely blistering and I fell to bits both times, I was ready for it this time though (plus have P&D training/knowledge behind me), hence the faster 2nd half this time round. I did 3hrs and 13 secs in London a few weeks back, sickening close to my 2nd Sub3, I was absolutely devastatedimage.

33, I'd swap a few of those races for a time under 2.55 haha! By end of 2013 I'll have done 20 which is a milestone I'm looking forward to reaching, with at least one other Sub3 under the belt. 7 years ago I couldnae run a bath. image

• Am I wrong in thinking there were more timing mats than the stats show?

I'm really happy with mine though even paced (and have to remember the first half has miles 1-3 downhill to assist) ...but surprised there were none for say 35 or 40k point.

10k split: 00:49:43

Half marathon: 01:44:11

30k split: 02:27:58

Full Time: 03:28:02
  • hey FRC, sorry just had to come on here when i saw u post, well done u, a massive achievement considering the last few weeks, very proud of you, need to organise a weekend with u and mrs FRC!!!

• First of all, well done to everyone who took part this weekend.

I am pretty sure it was a bit more than the 20 deg they had on the news, support around the course was A1 and the people with hoses and water sprinklers were a godsend too!

I had trained hard for a sub 4 marathon, and until mile 20 I was looking at 3:50 ish. I ran evenly paced miles right to Gosford house. 1/2 distance in 1:50 and 20 mi in 2:55, then the heat got to me in a big way and I really struggled from there on! Never so glad to see the finish straight and I am happy to have finished in 4:03, which was a pb by over 6 min, but I really had used 100% to get there.

If I dont get into VLM 2013, this will have been my last marathon, I am going to concentrate on 1/2s, however if I do, then I'll have another crack at sub 4 (I will be 50 by then image)

I lost 2 toenails (1 more than last year) but apart from that no injury, a couple of days recovery now which feels well earned. Tough Mudder training starts this weekend. image

• Hugs to HannahsmomUK, who I met at liverpool meet up last year.

She's a keeper most definitely.

We are available anytime.

Tough stuff ShornSheep, you sounded bang on till 20 miles.. Although I don't do massive mileage, I did get in 5 x 20miles or more in.

Did you just take water in at the stations or carry a bottle also? Having the wet hat or buff as in my case really kept my temperature down so I didn't really get affected by heat. Factor 50 sun cream on too. image
  • ahh that is what that hat is on ur head then from the photo I saw, Incidentally last year when I did the Nottingham 10k ( yes only 10K I know ) in the hottest day in Sept when we had that mini heatwave I actually wet my hair and tied it up and it really did work and kept me quite cool.

I also put my water in the freezer overnight and went with a frozen water bottle which was great as i took little sips as it started melting down and it really was so cold and was lovely and refreshing too

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

FRC - I'm prob being a simpleton as usual - but how do you get your 10k etc splits to show up on the resuluts page ?

• I can't find the full results anywhere. Just the page where you type in your name and get your own result. I want to see everybody else's times as well as the splits. Can someone smarter than me please post the appropriate link.

• I can't find any splits either just my overall time.  Would be interested if they're available somewhere...........

Also, any tips on training marathon to marathon rather than the usual build up plan would be appreciated.  This year will be the first time I've done two in a year - next one October (I might do one in between but not for time just training).  Should I continue with high mileage or start over on a normal plan or what .......  clueless!!

• The splits are in your My Details account........

• 26.27 miles on my garmin. Rather impressed.

• i've just registered for Edinburgh Half Marathon next year...my first one....eeeeek now i am nervous

• Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)
    Tough stuff ShornSheep, you sounded bang on till 20 miles.. Although I don't do massive mileage, I did get in 5 x 20miles or more in.

Did you just take water in at the stations or carry a bottle also? Having the wet hat or buff as in my case really kept my temperature down so I didn't really get affected by heat. Factor 50 sun cream on too. image

I also had a carry bottle .5 lt with a zero tab. Picked up water at each station. I had on a bandanna which I kept wet too. It all worked well up to 20 miles, after that it seemed like my body just couldnt get rid of the excess heat. It may not be a factor, but on the exit of Gosford house, I picked up a stone in my shoe, I had to stop and it took a while to get the lace untied/tied (no specs!) which interrupted my rhythm a bit....?

• Just arrived back in Cardiff, still walking awkwardly with serious muscle ache. 

Not sure if anyone else has spotted it but one website has the full results, but it's not put in the most user friendly way. Still better than nothing:

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/magazine/103454-edinburgh-marathon-festival-2012-results-of-the-full-marathon/

It's really interesting to hear about the rate of attrition, my heart goes out to those who didn't make it round. Having trained and run (badly) through my first marathon and then got a bit teary at the end, you get to appreciate the emotional as well as physical investment everyone makes for these things. The heat really was something, especially during the loop at the back, and seeing as the two or three months previous to the day had been such bad weather it's not too surprising at how tough lots of us found it. Luckily I'm beginning to forget the pain I was in for the last 6 miles and am looking forward to running marathons and more in the future!

I'm very envious of those who have an untumn marathon coming up, especially those on the continent - sure you'll all have a great time. I'm off travelling for 4 months in September and haven't managed to find any races to enter before then, so I'm setting my own little challenges.

The main one I want to do is run a 35 mile sort of ultra. I'm going to train and hopefully have a stab at running the brecon and monmouthshore canal from Cwmbran to Brecon on 18th August. I haven't finalised the plans yet, but I mentioned it on another forum and a couple of people in the area are interested in joining me. If anyone else here lives in south or mid wales and fancies it then let me know and I'll send out my email address so I can let everyone know the plans when I make them. Just to give you some idea I don't expect to be doing anything faster than 10 min/mile. Should be a pretty route, fairly flat and there's a train station about half way in Abergavenney if the going gets too tough!

• Fraser, log into your account and it's got the full details there on your my events page.

Actually thinking about it, with my stats...1:44:11 half, 3:28:02 full is a tiny negative split. Even better.
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Well done everyone. I was up in Edinburgh as I had paid for travel and my apartment still wanted paying if i didnt turn up, so we went up for a weekend (I was a stomach bug last week and didnt recover in time).  Anyway, it was felt very hot on Sunday. We went to the beach and it was still hot.  I am usually fine in heat (I have done several ironmans and half ironmans in 38) but it really did feel hot.  I think its especially tough when you aren't used to it.

Well done anyway. I was envious of everyone in their medals and tshirts on Sunday.  I have a 17 lapper planned this weekend to try and salvage my situation.

• Hi anyone who is left.  Me and mrs W went round at a reserved pace as planned - but even more so giving the sun beating down especially round 14-18 !  Got to say the course was great, the organisation pretty perfect, just a shame we couldn;t get a little sea fret or mist or something image

Monks - my first mara, got to start line and realised I had picked up Mrs W's Garmin which only had 1 hour charge left having charged mine all night - doh !

Well done all.

• ro616, yes saw that list, but it doesn't tell you a great deal really, not in a user-friendly way. I too really noticed the heat around the end of the loop, think it's cos we hadn't seen many spectators and my mind was wandering. Was it me or was the water station at the entrance to the park not a planned one? Felt like a bonus from what I'd planned?

• Smiley Miler you certainly don't have to start again, but maybe give yourself a few weeks to a months rest from full on hard running and then carry on. Great chance to keep the mileage up, maybe book a half marathon in 5-6 weeks.

Shorn sheep, you had a single zero tablet you mean in your bottle or more than one? It's one per 500 ml if not.

What did you have for gels or carbs? I had my own clif blok shots and didnt use those provided.. Theyre like super jelly cubes, in packs of 6, 3 equiv to a gel, less waste and easier to stomach. I took 2 cubes roughly every 4 miles, right till 21 miles.. They have electrolytes in well as carbs.

Wharfy, Did you go around together or not? Good run anyway. After me doing it on that training race, I wore my garmin to bed ! And had my old one spare in kit bag just in case. You'll never do it again.

Nb you can charge a 305 whilst running, I have a little portable power pack. Remember an ultra runner doing this on blog.
  • Phew how hot was that? I found it interesting that my "normal" pace and heart rate did not match up, during race my heart was working harder but i was going slower than normal. Put it down to the heat.

Last marathon was New York in 1999, 3hrs 47mins. After i started training I was hoping to match it. I have learnt from this race that accurate goal/expected time on application is very important, i put in a goal time og 4.03? Did not change it as training initially went OK, then got injury and left it in hope (Green Pen). 

For about the first 12 miles passing people would have been hard work, alot of zig zagging or offence needed. It was like being on a train, everyone moving at a set pace, not able to move up or down the field without barging somone, due to number of runners and the single carraige way. Enjoyed the race, not sure if being forced to slow down at the start saved me for the end or cost me time, guess i will have to run another marathon to find out! 

Full Time: 04:03:39
    10k split: 00:55:50
    Half marathon: 01:57:05
    30k split: 02:48:30
    Overall finish position: 2985

• Neil Mac: Talking to some others the drop out rate was extremely high for a marathon. Someone mentioned the rough figures on here earlier but these are the most accurate ones I can find:

12,635 starters (from the official website)

Last place: 8077 (from a list of full results - in 8h01m so well done to them for sticking it out!)

So that's a DNF rate of 36%

• Wow!  If those figures are right, it makes me feel better for not quite achieving my time.

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Cheers Ro616! Yep, looks a fairly high DNF rate. Take it the full listings are now available.

Top effort from all who completed, incl whoever it was that took 8hours, poor blighter.

• FRC - I had a Zero tab in my carry and then just water from there on...Also had 4 GU gels which I used up until the first energy station, then used the ones supplied...My problem was'nt lack of energy so much as being unable to get rid of the excess heat I think.

Legs only a bit sore now, but 2 toenails hanging by threads image Is it best to just pull them off?

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭

23-minute PB for me so chuffed with that. It was hot!  Garmin was off at the start but spot on by the finish image I set off conservatively, lads of people passed me in the first 5 miles but by mile 16 I was still running and a lot of people around me were walking.  Slowed a bit going round the estate - the chippings felt hard work after miles of tarmac - picked it up a little towards the end with my last mile only 3 seconds slower than my first.  Brilliant day image

• How do you pick up quotes? Anyway I wanted to comment on the mile markers - my ipod started going skewy around 19 miles and I ended up doing over nearly 28 miles...! (it may have something to do with the over enthusiastic water sprinklers!). Incidentally I am also Nikki Bailey 4 - I think there are gremlins at work on my profile page!

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Nikki, hover over the bottom right of the post you want to quote, the 'quote' button appears, then click on it. When you go to do your post, click on the wee 'quote' icon on the toolbar (the one with the " on the very right hand side) and the post you want to quote will appear in yours.

If that's wrong, don't quote me on that.image

I actually just checked my Garmin, I was wrong in a previous post, it was actually showing 26.26 miles at the end, I'd say that is as spot on as you'll ever get.

• The drop out rate is not as high as 36%. The number of 12635 is the number of people who registered not the number of people who actually started. With all marathons, there are always a number of people who do not start even though they registered (illness, injury etc). I was around the 7800 person to come in and they announced that there were still around 500 people still to come in meaning that a few hundred people did not finish, not a few thousand.

• Shorn Sheep.. you would use the zero tablet well after you'd started.. not at mile 0.. to replace salts lost in sweat. Your gels probably had electrolytes anyway so dubious. As for the excess heat, the previously mentioned buff on head & down neck and pouring water over kept me so cool.. I honestly wasn't affected by the heat.. felt like 10-12 degrees. And I'm rubbish in heat too, sunburnt to pieces before wedding abroad.. Also factor 50 suncream. 

Nikki Bailey, Iphones are notorious for sometimes jumping their GPS, particularly if you leave wifi going. Even then odd behaviour since they are A-GPS, phone mast assisted..

Pal did 76 miles at Liverpool marathon, since his phone jumped to Stoke & back coming out of the Mersey tunnel .. we laughed. image

• Evening all, had a couple of days to mull over my first marathon experience and although im still a bit dissapointed at my efforts I'm not feeling quite as bad. In fact I've had the urge to get out running as I now feel ive got something to prove to myself. Thinking about Liverpool or Amsterdam now as i cant wait till next year.

Ive got the GNR in September so that would sit nicely in my plan.

My Garmin came in at 26.25 and the splits were going off fairly acurately give or take a few yards, like the thought of a mara coming in at 76 miles image

FRC..might have to invest in a buff, as my head was burnt (probably cos i didnt put any sun cream on the top of my head!)