Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• Hi all, Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend! I too was inspired by watching the Great Birmingham run yesterday so decided to get on my bike this morning and start getting my fitness back, Also noticed when I put my suit on this morning I had to go down a notch on the belt, which is not a good sign image

Going to physio on Thursday for some intense foot massage and going to start RICEing proerly so I can get back out running sooner rather than later.

Jonesy, I have entered for that - only 5000 places so not holding my breath but would be an amazing experience so keeping fingers crossed!

Kingkenny - alright mate - I think there's a lot of people think the same as you in that they want to get a Marathon done before hiiting 40 - I did too image I don;t think VLM are doing the automatic entry system anymore though?

Hi Julie26 - are you on commission? I want to stay there now too after that Sales pitch image

Emerton - lol! Man flu is the most horrendous thing on the planet - if only women could understand! image

• Hi all,

I feel bad as I've had a packed weekend but no running - first time in months I've had the weekend off. Back to work again now, done circuit training tonight and speed session tomorrow at club. The aim is for a hilly 10 miles this weekend as have the Elan Valley 10 in November to get ready for. Just trying to plan my half marathons and a 20 miler for next year. My normal 20 mile race won't fit in timing wise. Does anyone know of one about 4 weeks before Edinburgh?

Would prefer Wales/ South/ Midlands.

Julie26 gutted I've booked Travelodge now!
  • Hi all,

I ran half marathons in the 1980's, but getting married etc my running slowly faded.  In April this year my son got me to do a Parkrun and I was hooked! I forgot how much I enjoyed it.Then my other half tagged along to watch a couple of times(she had never run) and now she is hooked to.I have entered London a few times over the years but I have never been successful, so in a moment of madness I have entered Edinburgh and my wife the half marathon,she is from Scone so it's like her home.

I have entered a HM in a  week or so, which I have been training for to see where I am compared to my younger self image I'm 48.

My PB for the HM twenty odd years ago was around 1h 30mins and now I can do 5k in 22.30, what sort of time do you think can I expect to do a marathon?

• Morning/Afternoon All,
    haven't posted ina while - on a training course last week in a hotel with no wi-fi. Still forced myself to drive to the gym and was feeling all chuffed and then hit by a nasty bout of tonsillitis at the weekend. Been to the doctors and got some magic penicillin, so on the mend now.

Sounds like everyone is doing some good running preparation - TroublesomeKnees I vaguely recall a Cheshire 20 about a month before the Edinburgh marathon last year but I don't see it on the events page yet for next year.

I will catch up on the last few days posts while I try and get ready to get back to work and to the gym. Hope everyone else is well

Duffs
  • Hi Everyone....

Hope we are all well....

Hi Peter...impressive times...especially your recent 5k...i am soo jealous ...LOL....Great that you have found your love of running again and all the family for that matter....I think you could possibly do a marathon in under 3.45....if you train properly....

Well did a gym session today....then got called in to work for a few hours....emergency......had to go in my gym clothes and was all sweaty still....LOL...Good deed for the day...LOL

Happy running/training folks

• Thanks for your reply, I would be over the moon with a time of 3.45!
  • Where is everyone?

TK - don't feel bad, I've not ran for 4 weeks now lol - how do you think I feel!?! Off to physio tonight who is going to rub my feet and tell me to pick up pencils with my toes for the next fortnight! I sometimes wonder why I bother lol, just a shame the wife cant do it image

Anyway, Peter, good for you. I' m struggling to get back into some sort of routine with my two kids / wife / work etc ?I think definite sub 4, as Franny says you could go for 345 or if you really want to push yourself you can joing me and POD84 going for 330, although there is every chance I will end up doing 430 again image

Duffs - hope you're feeling better - hotel with no wifi = a nightmare! Been there, done that!

Franny - hope you've now washed image

Fingers crossed physio is going to miraculously cure me tonight and I can get back out running soon!

• Hello folks......yes Miggito...I have washed...LOL...But i am now injuredimage Went over on my ankle last nite on a blasted pothole on the road.....so doing the rice procedure for next day or 2 so no running......planned a to geta PB at parkrun on Sat aswell as have been puttin in the work.....Ah well but i need to rest cos i really want to do my last race of the year next sunday....10k......image
  • Evening all

Franny.... sorry to hear about your ankle, real bad luck. hope your soon back up and running and ready for your 10k. Its horrible running in the dark as you dont see the humps and bumps.

Managed to get out for a tempo 3 mile tonight, havent done a tempo run for a while so felt it a bit.

Hope everyone else is ok and getting geared up for the long winter nights.

• have a hilly 9 miles planned for this weekend ready for the elan valley 10 Nov 19th.

checked out the Cheshire 20, sounds very hilly. Although I did a hilly 20 last year as prep for London when I put it to the forum as to ideas why I crashed and burned people were quite blunt when querying my hilly training for a flat race so don't want to make the same mistake again. May just have to do the Surrey Spitfire 20 in March then do my own 20 miles 4 weeks before.

sorry to hear about your injury Franny.

hope everyone has a good weekend running
  • Hi Miggito,

3.30! Sounds scary. Before I asked the question I was hoping for around 4.00-30. But who knows will see how my training goes.

Park Run tomorrow and a long run on Sunday.

Happy Running all......

• Morning folks...

Hope everyone is well............

just been out for a short walk to test out ankle..not too bad but don't think i am feeling confident enough to run on it yet....will be scared the 1st time I reckon.....

Have a nice Sunday and hope you folks who can get out running enjoy it....perfect running weather out there today..............image

• Franny image bit of a nightmare! Sorry to hear about that but look on the brightside - at least it's happening before a 10k and not the Marathon! I went to the physio and my foot is better but still not running on it until next week at the earliest, I almost feel like I'll have forgotten how to run by then!

Anyway, apparently "toe spreaders" are going to help me as the forces are not being distributed in my feet properly image way too technical for me but managed to get myself a couple at the weekend and now feel like a divvy for wearing them but at least noone can see them image

Roll on full fitness - I can't wait to get back out running in that freezing rain!

PS - new trainers and anti-chafe stick arrived this morning,  might just put them on so at least I remember what it feels like to be ready for runningimage

• All very quiet on the western front!

Hope everyone is ok and the dark evenings havent' put people off getting out pounding the streets.

Been a bit lazy this week, I played rugby on Saturday so used the usual bangs and bruises as an excuse to rest a bit. Also got a rejection from the National Lottery Olympic park run (no surprises) so I need to get myself a bit more motivated.

Hoping to get out this evening, even if it is pouring !!!

• Hi Guys,

Very quiet on here....I am going to do my 10k tom as planned...ankle not too bad...very bruised but will give it my best shot......

Hope evryone else is well.

Will keep you posted about my run tom.

happy running image

• Hi Guys

Following on from my earlier post ... I ran my first half in 25 years yesterday and managed a time of 1h 49mins which I'm very happy with, Brighton half next in Feb, getting ready for Edinburgh in May!!

• Well done Peter...that is an amazing time...wish i could be as fast...

Well i went and did my 10k yesterday but didn't break any records.......only managed 54.15 but with my lead up to it I'm not surprised.......LOL..sprained ankle and not much running beforehand its amazing i got round the course at all...my ankle was fine but my left hip started to play up...I must have hurt that the other week to when i broke my fall and landed funny......so no running for me this weekk anyway....need to give the body a break before I start my mara training in earnest in January.......

Did manage 20 lengths of the pool today which is an acheivement for me as i don' do swimming really...but needed to do some exersize that didn't involve pounding my legs/hips.....

Hope everyone is well....

• Great times Peter and Franny, especially after the sprained ankle!
  • Evening all. I'm going back to Edinburgh this year after running in 2009 and 2010. It has to be better organised this time right?

Was contemplating the half and the 10k but have taken the plunge for the full just a few weeks after running London - must be mental.

Training starts in 4 weeks for me (for London) with an 18 week programme this time. hoping that the fitness will carry me through to Edinburgh. Anyone else following a programme?
  • Hi I'm Peter Shepherd's better half....who has been persuaded to sign up for the half marathon (while he's doing the full marathon)...little did I know that I'd be the one running at 8am! I'm new to running and doing parkruns every week now having never run before. My pb for the 5k is very slow (even though I've knocked 10 mins off my pb since starting in July) and I bring up the rear of 700+ runners! I'm getting there!!! Looking forward to running in Edinburgh. My only problem is choosing which of the millions of training programmes available.
  • Good work Jane. I'm sure you will make it in Edinburgh whichever programme you follow.

I became a dad on Saturday afternoon and last night was baby's first night at home. Already concerned about sleep deprivation and the impact on my training image
  • Hello Jane......you will do just fine in the half marathon....just build up your miles gradually...I am sure Peter will be on hand with all the good advice....

Congratulations  MC Dave.....How lovely a new baby...girl or boy?????? Oh i do love babies.....but nice to hand them back......enjoy your precious moments with the little un...image I am sure you will still be able to do your training even if sleep deprived ...Congrats again.

• Hey all,

Been purposely staying away as I still can;t run yet and now it is starting to annoy me! Was at physio last night again so just trying to be patient. Haven't ran in 4 weeks now and I'm getting lazy - not even going on the bike, just stuffing myself full of sweets and rubbish to make myself feel better!

Peter - well done!! Maybe go for that sub 330 after all now? image And hi to Jane too - I've ran the half in Edinburgh twice now and think it's a great course - was my first half too! So good luck to you!

MC Dave - yes, you're mental image I elected not to do London next year due to family commitments (too much hassle to get wife and kids down for weekend) but am going to run it in 2013! Congratulations on becoming a dad! I had my second son four months ago and so hope all goes well with your training as I know how much of an impact having a wee one has. Will keep fingers crossed baby learns to go through the night quickly as you're right - the sleep depravation is not good - especially with the amount of training you will need to do but just got to keep focused! I'm going to do the RW sub 330 schedule and see how I get on with it. I am injured at the minute but hoping to get back out and doing some light running in the next couple of weeks before I start the serious stuff!

Franny - hope you're on the mend! Excellent effort considering your injury!image

• Thanks for the congratulations guys - much appreciated.

Had to wet the babies head last night and forgot that I had a cross country race today. 5 pints, 4 vodkas, wine and a curry is not a good pre race mix
  • Morning folks...

Hope everyone is well....Miggito...pls don't feel you need to stay away....just cos your injured..hope you get back out there soon..What did you do agian ?

Well i am over my ankle injury..Went to running club last nite and managed 6mile run...2 miles uphill,2 miles flattish and 2 miles downhill...perfect nite for it....no running today just some swimming ..will get out again for run tomorrow.....

MCdave..hope your xcountry race went well despite your pre race fun......

BFN

Happy running image

• Evening all, just entered for next May. Did it in 2009/10 like Dave but unlike Dave i'm not a 2.30 runner!!

Good luck everyone with the training and see you all in May. 

• Welcome whitehead runner....what time you aiming for in May ?????

• Hi Franny,

Good to hear you're on the mend! The tendons in my foot are fecked for want of a better expression image  and the resulting poor bio-mechanics blah blah blah are causing problems in my joint at my sesamoid!  I ignored the issue and kept running but am now paying the consequences! Genuinely thought I would have been cured by now but will give it more time. The physio got right in about them again the other night so I now have a lovely big bruise on the sole of my foot too!

I'm getting on the bike to keep fit, done another 18 mile yesterday (got a wee hangover today so couldn't face dragging my carcass out of bed at the usual 5.30!) Anyway, still plenty time to get sorted before the Marathon next year. I wont be starting the serious training until the new year anyway but want to keep the Moobs at bay until then image

Howdy Whitehead, good luck to you too!

• Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm a 4 hr plodder so will be happy with anything sub 4, have put 3.45 down as my predicted time.