Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Hi Guys,

Not posted for a while due to a nightmare christmas, my dad had a stroke just before christmas so the training went out of the window to be replaced by visits to the hospital. Things have settled down a bit now so got back into training this week(training one day, hospital visit the next). I have a half marathon next month, I was hoping to get a PB but now I'm just looking to finish in a respectable time.

Happy Running!!!

• Options

Hey Monk & Brookie!  Good to see another couple of faces in here!

Peter, so sorry to hear about what happened, hope things are getting better, kind of puts my complaints into perspective but hope all is now well?

Anyway, I've still not given up hope yet but still not running so can't really contribute to any meaningful discussion here image!! Foot still hurting so fracture hasn't healed, however keeping optimistic I will make a miracle recovery beofre 1st Feb to give me the 16 weeks training. I'm still cycling. rowing and on the cross trainer but not quite the same!!!

Anyway, off to see the Physio now to see what he can do - at least I can just lie and whinge about it for 30 minutes to someone  - wife is going to divorce me if I keep going on about it image

• Options

Miggito,

Thanks for the good wishes. Hopefully he will be home in a couple of weeks, I just need to really start the training now!! With any luck you will be running soon to and we can crawl over the finish together image

• Options
    Peter - sorry to hear your news too - fingers crossed he's out of hospital soon. Hope you also get time to keep running.

Miggito, sounds like you are doing all the right things to keep your fitness up whilst your foot heals. Once it's strong enough hopefully you'll be super cardio fit and it will just be a case of getting the legs used to running high mileage again?

Reading back through the forum it seems a few people are aiming for sub 4 hour times - that's good to know - although I'm starting to wonder if I'm being a bit optimistic to start back again where I left off before having a baby.... whilst I kept running until 35 weeks, I was pretty slow by the end and I'm certainly a LOT less fit than I was......

So, 16 weeks starts on 1 Feb? Right, that gives me January to build up with some easy short-ish runs. What training programmes are people hoping to follow?

Also miggito, how did the physio go?
  • Options

I don't know really what time I should be aiming for.  I guess a lot of people just want to complete their first marathon and unlike 10k's or HM's things seem to go wrong on marathon's more than any other event!  I hope my time is sub 4 but I don't want to get my hopes too high yet before training really kicks in cos if I finish in 4:02 on the day I might be disappointed but if that's the best I can do, it's the best I can do!

Brookie, Yep 1st Feb is about the 16 week point to the big day so I guess most people will soon be starting their training plans.  Mine starts on Monday Jan 30th and day one is..... a rest day haha!!

17 miler coming up again tomorrow, last Sunday's was really tough so am gonna have to start drinking on these long runs now, grrr!

• Options
    If there is anyone unable to do the Edinburgh Marathon and wish to sell/transfer their number I am looking to buy one.

Cheers

• Options

Hi all,

The way things are going at the moment Peter, I will be crawling over the starting line, never mind the finishing line! image

Brookie, I'm trying but as each day passes it's harder to keep my hopes up. The physio actually went really well, thanks for asking. I'm trying someone different and he was very positive, gave me loads of new advice / information, which always helps and he's worked on elite athletes in the past so I left feeling a whole lot better about things but still not convinced I will be running pain free to get the required training in. Not giving in yet but having a psychologocal battle with myself at the moment about it! VLM was my first Marathon last year and I really wanted to do Edinburgh this year as I made so many mistakes at VLM and have learned from them - especially as I subsequently smashed my 1/2 & 10K PBs. If I don't heal in time I will probably do Loch Ness Marathon instead and maybe just do the 1/2 in Edinburgh if I think I could manage. Anyway, I have currently reviewed my timing from going from a sub 3.30 to a sub 4 and will train for that if fit. In terms of you getting back to running and your time aspirations, how long have you not run for? Even though you've not done a Marathon since 2010, if you've been keeping your fitness levels up, it should be all about pacing for you and concentrating on that! Guess we'll all find out beginning of Feb when we get properly into the training!!! And how old is your baby, I have a 6 monther who really messes up all my schedules - not just training!!

Monk - day one - rest day - lol!!image  Going by your times, I would say that a sub 4 is very achievable but the Marathon is a completely different animal to the 1/2, but with the correct level of respect, not overdoing the training and giving all the required commitments you can do it! Again, just get your pacing right but if you're doing 17 milers at this stage (I'm jealous!), then you have plenty time to nail it image

• Options

Hi all,

Great to skim over the thread and see so many people gearing up to Spring Marathons. I was doing the same for VLM last year and so know that feeling!!

I am hopinng to do Edin this year and break that darn 4 hour barrier and so it is nice to see so many people with the same goal. I ran 4:00:13 at Chester in October and those 14 seconds have been taunting me ever since!!!!

I didn't manage to meet the cut off date for standard entry for a variety of different reasons. That said I would still really like to do it and so am currently considering a charity place. I ran the VLM for charity last year and raised over £4k which was brilliant and very life affirming but means that I am slightly nervous about fundraising again so quickly on the back of this. Therefore, if anyone knows of anyone that would like to transfer their place at any point then please do let me know. More than happy to cover all the costs.

Brookie - I am sure you'll be able to pick up your fitness again. There was a good article some time back in the magazine about running after pregnancy and so you might be able to find it on the web archive.

Keep warm out there all - it is bloomin freezing! Good luck with your runs!

• Options
    Miggito, just a quick reply for now - my baby is 6 months too! I've got a running buggy - best thing ever - which means I can get some runs in during the day without needing a baby sitter. He just sleeps in it! Edinburgh will be my 13th marathon - so I've really no excuse not to have a shot at a decent time (for me, I mean - I''ll never be super speedy!)

Ladeyjadey - hope you get a place - & thanks for tip for article - I'll look it up.
  • Options
    This will be my 4th marathon lookin for a sub 4h15 to 4hrs. Which 16week plan is it best to choose? Ran Rome marathon last year with an injury and just made below sub 4h 30mins.
  • Options
    Hey GL,

I used the Hal Higdon plan last year and was really happy with it on 3 runs a week but I wassn't looking for a time. I have recently used the programme on the asics website and this seems really flexible and interactive so gonna give that a go this time.

Hear good things about the smartcoach plans on RW website but can't vouch for them personally.

Fair play running 4:30 when injured. Sounds like ur target is well within ur reach if ur lucky enough to be fully fit!

Thanks for the welcome B! Much appreciated x
  • Options
    Hi ladies & gents. Will start posting on here occasionally.

2nd marathon for me after Liverpool in October. A few months ago,.. Hamstring went a bit tight early on so backed off pace 20-30 seconds a mile or so, but still got around in 3hrs 48...
    Liverpool is quite tough with 3 tough hills so I know sub 3-40 or a lot less is possible... Hopefully at Edinburgh since fast course?

Monk , if your program is starting on 30th, why are you doing 17 miles now? Seems way ahead... Risk of injury or over training? Your PB times sound good though, right on track. Similar to mine.

I started my program Sunday just gone.. Gives me more like 19-20 weeks so allows for kickback weeks. Rest is good. Did 12 miles last friday night, , 11.5 Sunday early in the cold.

Oh I like to cross train...Same day sometimes...so tough Circuit class this morning at 7am and in evening running club (just joined recently post marathon, never been in a club).. Tough intervals with hills.. Worked out 6 miles.. real gut buster.
  • Options

Brookie - running buggy!! LOL image  Never knew such a thing existed but not sure the wee man would appreciate getting woken up at 5.30 (I do my running in the morning) and getting pushed about the streets. Good idea though and I can see how it could help.

Hi Fit Cat, good time for your first Marathon! My first was VLM, where I wanted to do sub 3.40 but hobbled round in 4.27 so quite jealous of you! Desperate to make amends at Edinburgh and it is a very flat course (I've done the 1/2 a few times and it follows the route)

GL - I'm still tinkering with my training plan, starting to put it together now but will probably base it mostly on the RW sub 330 or sub4 - my foot feels less painful today (touch wood) so thinking about 330 again - I am mad!!

Hi Ladeyjadey, I know what you mean about the charity, I raised a load of money for Clic last year as well and not that I felt the pressure of fundraising, it's good to be able to concentrate fully on the running this time. I hope that doesn't sound bad, you know what I mean, I do give regularly to charity image 

Catch you all later, I'm currently eating pineapples as it apparently heals bones - can you tell I'm getting desperate image

• Options
    Pineapple is high GI too so don't eat too much Miggito

Going from 4.27 to sub 3.30 is ambitious! Sub 4 first aim after just finishing ?

And yes running buggys exist. My missus was beaten by someone in a 10k with one... Not best amused to beat by a baby !
  • Options
    Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)
    And yes running buggys exist. My missus was beaten by someone in a 10k with one... Not best amused to beat by a baby !

Lol image

I know the sub 330 is ambitious, I am reassessing on a daily basis depending on how I feel. Learnt so much after VLM (I ran it injured as well) and have run 1.40 1/2 And 45 min 10K  so it is achievable but as I can't run at the minute anyway, I can dream image

PS - I looked at the Asics website at lunchtime - does anyone else think their plans look (dare I say it?) rather easy???image

• Options

Well, I'm off a 1.36.30 half.. and a 44.30 10k now, post marathon so....

Asics, will have a look, oddles of lucozade sport & gels there.. actually what does Edinburgh give out for these?

• Options
    If there is anyone unable to do the Edinburgh Marathon and wish to sell/transfer their number I am looking to buy one.

Cheers
  • Options
    I'm running Edinburgh with my husband this year does anyone recommend a good guest house to stay in?

Ruth
  • Options
    Hi Martznw, yep i'm unable to do it now, if you want to buy it. I've done it twice before and can recommend it!

PM me if you are interested!
  • Options
    wr I've sent you a PM. If you look a couple of pages back, a couple of us missed out and were asking for a spare place then? cheers
  • Options

Hi Guys,

Sorry not posted on here for a bit.....Miggito...How is that foot of yours doing????

I have been getting plenty running in of late and now up to 14 miles on my LSRs and really enjoying them and looking forward to increasing the miles.

This will be my 3rd Edinburgh marathon...can't remember who asked but its lucozade sport that they use in this event..well they did for the last 2 years.....

Happy training and running everyone....image

• Options

thanks Franny, it was me. Lucozade sport is fine. Any gels given out?

any generous Scots giving out jelly babies?

• Options
    Hi All,

I'd be on for getting a place off someone for the mara, let me know if that's the case.

cheers
    Andy.

Hi Running Cat,

No gels handed out, unless it changes this year, haven't been for the last three years though that I've been there, will be jelly babies etc handed out by the generous spectators!!image
  • Options

Just to bump and repeat from a couple of pages ago - I would very much like to get a place for this mara. Training away hoping to get one! Please PM me if you should have one you can no longer use.

thanks

Marc

• Options
    Hi Berger,

Good luck with your training, there will be places available through people dropping out, may need to give it a month or so, but you will get one, I'm after a place too, but not too worried, still 4 months to go yet.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Andy.
  • Options
    yeah, cheers Andy. I'm training and entering my local 10ks and halves in the spring as usual, but will step the LSRs out to 20plus in the hope one will come up. There are others, of course, but I do fancy this one, my best running mate has got a place, but I missed out, by 3 days apparently...! Nothing like procrastination...
  • Options
    That's good training and will get you in decent shape, I know what you mean, I missed by a few days too, ha, you'll be ok for a place though, it's a cracker of an event and fast and flatimage weather was not great last year, rain with strong wind, I managed a pb so that was ok, the whole event is run really well and improving each year, I really enjoy the Royal Mile etc, all adds up to a great weekendimage
  • Options

Afternoon all.

Running cat..as Andy said  no gels the last few marathons althought there was the year did the hairy haggis relay...didn't feel the need then.....there are plenty spectators handing out sweeties,oranges etc...but if you are wanting gels you are best to take them with you.

Andy...the weather was wellimage we had 4 seasons in the one day didn't we and that wind on the way back was really really strong stuff...I got a PB too so was pleased...whilst getting my leg massage at the end it got cut short as they had to dismantle the tent because of the windimage

Anyway..been out and done 14.25 sloooowwwwww miles this morning.......slowly building up the miles now and enjoying it...

Happy running everyone and take care....

• Options
    the joy of being able to run on a Tuesday morning in Jan! Lucky thing image
  • Options

Hi all - never posted in a rw forum before, but wanted to say hi. I'm running Edinburgh this year, and it will be my first ever marathon.

I've never been a runner, so I started "training" back in September. My first run was 1.5mi! I've steadily built up to 12-15mi each week, with two LSRs of 6.5mi. I'm now following an 18 week plan for novices, which started today. image

I know first timers are just supposed to aim for getting around, but I can't help but have a vague time goal. I would like to come in sub 4:30, but this would be quite a reach for me given my current pacing, I think.

Look forward to checking in on everyone's training here!  I think the race is going to be here before we know it!  image