Great north run 2012

Comments

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Just watched the end of the ladies race...what a finish.

Really enjoying the race reports image
  • Well what another great weekend, the race didn't go according to plan but hey-ho. It was great to meet Shielsy/Stringy/Shrek/Mr SJ/Mandie & others under the bridge before the start, you guys have good camerarderie and is why I love this running lark. My training had been going so well, 12.6 miles in 1.55ish just 2 weeks ago and a long time since problems running but then something went wrong. I had planned 2x10k's but was struck with a cold which prevented further training. I felt ok at the start yesterday and was running very well and comfortably was on course for a pb and possibly under 2hrs but then around the 8mile mark I felt a twinge in one calf and over the next mile both started to tighten up and my pace slowed dramatically. I decided to rest them with fast walking rather than cause injury which I did last year. Any chance of sub 2hrs had gone so why risk it? I managed to battle through and then in the last mile somehow drew strength to run the fastest since mile 3 so despite missing out on a pb I am actually very happy as I know that I could do sub 2hrs when fully fit and unaffected by illness/cramps and for once showed mental strength to keep going and finish strong in front of my wife and daughter which was brilliant. I need to find out why my legs cramped for the first time since February, especially as 12.5 miles was ok just 2 weeks ago, maybe the cold took more out of me than I thought, maybe I set off too quick on a hilly course, who knows but I still got 2 years of my membership to improve. Hope you all did well but more importantly enjoyed it, I'm going to read back now...

• I managed 1:28:44, 43 seconds slower than my last GNR in 2010.

I was looking at a 1:26 / 1:27 at half way, but lost a fair bit of ground at mile 11 and 12.

Seemed a bit more subdued than in '09/'10. The 'boost zone' was nowhere near as good as in 2009 and I didn't think the bands were as good or there was as many? I'm being rather harsh though - the weather didn't help and I was a bit annoyed at missing out on a PB.

• Well done Andy - it was lovely meeting you at the start.  I'm sorry to hear of your calf problems, but glad that you were at least able to finish strongly.

You'll just have to find another half soon and make use of your training and see how you get on.

Do you eat bananas?  I've heard they're good for muscle cramping, but no idea how true that is.

• Andy - Good on you for doing so brilliantly, and for getting to the finish sensibly whilst still enjoying yourself!!

I always (up til this year anyway) get crippled by cramp on this course. I've no idea why it happens, maybe its the uphill inclines? (I'm the same on my bike after a long ride) but you did the right thing by taking things easy and as you say, you've got another 2 years to achieve your goals - you'll get there, I know you will!

It was great to see you at the start too! 

• Thanks Shielsy, special thanks to you for spotting the shy smithsky!! and also Mandie (you know why). Once you know me you won't shut me up and wish you'd left me sat on the roadside!!!  Anyway, it was nice to meet such good people.

I honestly don't know what happened yesterday, as well as having had a cold all week I had been p'ing for Britain so maybe I was de-hydrated as well or maybe I just ran too quickly in the 1st 8 miles? I am actually very positive as up until that point it was really how much would I get under 2hrs by. I don't eat banana's, cant stand the taste which is annoying as everyone advises they are good for running.

I had ear-marked the Great Eastern half in Peterborough in October, going to rest for a week, do a 5 mile, 7.5mile and then 10 mile run over 10days and see if fit enough for to give that a go, I must admit to being surprised how upbeat I am seeing as things did not go according to plan but I guess that I am Mr lass half-full at the moment and can see a much bigger picture...nice place to be..

• I eat a banana a day, and drink elecrolyte drinks, but I also suffered from cramp in the past week (for only the second time in my entire life). I also had a cold. Coincidence? Or could there be some correlation? I wonder if somehow the parecetamol in cold remedies could negate the potassium and  magnesium in the bananas? Or if all of our electrolytes were lost in snot?! 

• Potassium isn't it?  In bananas that is. Supposed to help with cramp.

• Tonic water is also supposed to be good too due to the quinine in it.

• Crossed post with CC2 - who knows far more about nutrition stuff than me.  I always  fancy a banana at the finish.

• Didn't they always need quinine  to cure everything in the Inn of the Sixth Happiness?

• I did eat lots of beetroot but that causes other things to scare the life out of you....I think the colds do have an effect, I lost 3lbs last week with no training and I bet most of that was water despite me drinking more...

• Yeah it's potassium that helps with cramp.... they recommend them for hiking.  I've also heard Helen (my partner) say it and she's a dietitian so it must be true...... saying that after the run on Sunday we totally demolished a pizza and garlic bread (don't listen to dietitians they are all hypocrites!!....obviously!!)

I refuse when I run this to bustle my way past people - I am sure I could have got to 1:45 if I did but it's too busy to turn into some sort of 'running monster' chewing up those who dare to run slightly slower.  If there is a way round, I take it.... if not initially then it's no great deal.  I test myself but a few mins is not worth being a bit mean.

Saying that.... I started in Orange C this year  (it was B last time) and there were still people who were really never going to run more than half a mile and were walking before the Tyne bridge.... and walking three abreast at just over the line  isn't excuseable as they should just be starting there.....fine further back, but not there.

Still enjoyed it, slapped many hands and was constantly tempted by those ice pops and dare I say it now..... I am going to train 'properly' for next year....PB here I come!

• Evening All

Sounds like this years run was a great success. I liked the fact that it was cool at the start and then there was a steady drizzle to run in despite the fact that my running shoes don't have the best grip. As you can imagine I was fairly careful going down the drop to the Coast Rd!

New HM PB by 3 mins and a GNR PB by 6 mins so very pleased as I trundled back home.

I can add high fiving Ellie and Mo at the start to Kelly Holmes and Ant and Dec (I missed out the year Jimmy Nail started the race!)

I like the T-shirt! Better quality I'd say than the usual heavy duty number.

One negative. I came in from the west last year and parked at St James. No trouble getting in or out. This year I did what I usually do and parked at Heworth. I don't know if this happened last year but instead of hopping on the metro without any fuss there were big queues. Health and Safety apparently. Can't help but think that some people in that queue wouldn't have made the baagage buses or got to their pen on time. Coming back there's usually buses to Heworth but this year there were no buses until 3 so it was a walk to the metro.

Feel I should apologise to Carrie as it looks like I might have given her duff information about Heworth being the best approach from the A1M - hope you made it there and back OK.

Already looking forward to next year....

• Quite right Jon. It's all part of the GNR and we always say it's not a PB course (what?).  Every year is the same with all the lovely people doing there own thing so you can only really compare GNR with GNR. It can be frustrating, but that's just the way it is.

• Vernon Bear - i think there was a problem with the Metro on the morning.  Not sure which direction from, but folks had to use the late baggage vans

• Yes RLTW you can't compare it, it is far too busy.... you can still have a good run out and get close to your best time but the constant weaving, walkers and narrow bits just mean do your best but don't beat yourself up over a few mins....I don't train often enough but if I did I'd class this as a good workout but a fun day rather than out and out race. Run to your ability but  relax and enjoy it that's what I say image

I did see one guy in black and white speedos.... there is no way, however, could I relax just running in those.....

• Earlier post should say "glass" half full...

I am so pleased to be a GNR member, it's a highlight of the year for me, great weekend away with my family & take part in an amazing race, what can be better?
  • Hello all,

A bit late joining in with the post race festivities (and 9 pages to catch up on over the past 2.5 days!) I must confess that I've not had chance to read them all properly yet, just scrolled through and scanned so far but as usual a wide range of topics appear to have been raised - ranging from XL's new thread for 2013, rude shoving runners, Shielsy's penis envy, inappropriate weeing, and most importantly peeps own personal experiences of the day! I will make a point though of going back and reading through them all when time permits.

I'm late in joining in the fun because we chose to stay over on Sun night in Newcastle and we enjoyed an easy day around the city on Monday. I have to say it is a very nice city and one I'd only ever driven through once before until this weekend. I'm ashamed to say that I'd never spent any time at all here and now that I have, I can see what I've been missing out on! We drove back this evening and by the time we had unpacked and done all of the "everyday" tasks we all have to do, its meant I'm late in joining the party!

After I've read what I've missed so far, I'll post again and give some more detail of my GNR debut - I just wanted to check back in so you didn't think I'd "done one!" I know I can go on sometimes when I get into full flow, so for those who don't want to bother ploughing through the blow by blow account when it does appear - here is the short version....enjoyable and rewarding day (despite personal worst).....spoiled only by an insane, nonsensical and utterly unnecessary situation with baggage colection at end of raceimage

• I have posted this on the 2013 thread but the photos are up on marathon photos
  • Looking forward to reading your race report Boycs.  Don't worry about rambling on ... I'm guilty of that myself once I get going.

• Congrats to all who successfully completed the 2012 GNR. I took part myself after a 14 year break and what an enjoyable experience. The organisation has certainly improved since I last did it! Anyway, I was wondering if any of you good people out there happen to still have the results from 1998. My club back then was Leighton Fun Runners and from memory finished in around 1:30-1:35.  

• Thanks Shielsy - I'll take that as a licence to bore the pants off you all then image

Am about to go for a train to London and won't be back until late tomorrow night - would have been good if I'd had access to a pc whilst I was away but not the case - so my inane ramblings will have to be put on ice for a tad longer!

In the meantime, can I offer my congratulations to the authors of those posts that I have read so far who would appear to have recorded some pretty impressive performances - GOOD ON YER!! image

• PB for me awesome day and weekend enjoying Newcastle and the athletics on Saturday too. 1.42.55 was a great time as I was too far back in Orange D and had to dodge and weave but pleased to go 8 minutes better than last year!! Well done to all.

• knocked 10 mins and 1 second off of 2011 GNR although last year I did run with slower runner.

I started from Green "I" pen even though was due to be in "H" as was so busy stretching to avoid any strains or pulls left it to last minute to get in the right pen and didnt realise id gone to the back. Doh

Finished in 2.8.59 just couldn't find a way through at times and was often practically running into people as they stopped suddenly....Honestly got so close I should have bought them dinner first.

Pleased I got a P.B as showed a better traing programme worked but dissappointed I couldn't run at full stretch for the entire race to get full promise of it. Pleased to see others having a good time of it too.

• Well done on the improvement of 10 minutes ... and 1 second, snoopy.

Come on over to our new place if you wish (we're having a party)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/great-north-run-2013/206407.html

• Just want to say thank you to Shielsy for the advice when I was ill and panicking over doing the run. I did it, and loved every minute, and cant wait for 2013 now image

• Well done all, loved watching this. When does the ballot open for 2013 and also I heard about this guaranteed entry for £44 is this correct?

• This was my second GNR and I enjoyed it much more. Kept my tunes lower so I could hear everything going on around me and ditched them completely at mile 10 when I started to struggle. How on earth can going to the coast from the A19 be uphill?????

The rain and tailwind was a bonus (I hate the heat) and contributed to a 16 minute PB of 1:46:25. image

The crowd were amazing, ice pops and jelly babies have never ever tasted so good. Shared mine with a guy who was running alonside at about 11.5, never seen anyone look so happy!

Been so stiff but now wearing off so back to Quakers session tomorrow night. Need something to focus on now though. Don't know how I'll feel if I get into the ballot for VLM thoughimage