Great north run 2012

Comments

• Evening all,

Any room for a big un on the sofa.

Back at work today was such a let down after a brilliant weekend.

Lovely sports massage yesterday from a lady up the road she has lent me a wobble board and given me some simple core exercises to do. She thinks this will sort me out, but just dont get the same buzz doing core work as i get from running. I know I've got to do it but.....

1st post GNR run planned for Thursday

• Does anyone know when you can enter? and when the ballot is done?
  • Great picture Stephen ! You look relaxed and in control, unlike my picture of pure pain and desperation
  • I spent a lot of time looking for a classic runners singlet couldn't and can't find one anywhere.

Good friend came up trumps with the green split shorts.

There is a real market in retro cycling wear not the same in running kit. Which is a shame as I love this look

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0faG8TY70D3jI?q=George+Walker

Bet those 3 guys spent as much time on their hair as their runningimage

As a kid my dad had a book which mentioned how Walker had a resting heart beat in the low 40's/high 30's

When your the slowest runner in the school that sticks in your mind.

• Mr sJ I really cant remember mile 6  to around the time i went round some roundabout with a band on it, then i go blank until i see a sign say South Shields then wake up again when i can see the sea. 400 metres to the end its just one bus after another then a woman with a pink plastic bag is trying to help me get my tag off but i want to do it myself.

So yes i may look incontrol and relaxed but really im a brain dead zombie.

Running ate my brains.

• Mmm nice cosy so far- I'll pass on the drinks til my marathon is out of the way, but excuse me as I stretch over to get some crisps.

Had a peek at some of the photos- runners rarely look their best in the last 100m although Mandie looks particularly fresh and is even smilingimage

• Stephen - have you looked on eBay for in the vintage Clothes section? I was a after a singlet last year and got myself an adidas one on eBay and when it turned up it was an original 70's adidas one with the sewn of trefoil badge, was very col but just too small and had to sell it bit theres always loads of adidas stuff for sale on there, particularly the split shorts.
  • Just checked my splits for GNR and surprisingly consistent, obviously after the 15k mark that things went a little downhill !

Split times
    5k time: 00:25:21 10k time: 00:50:37 15k time: 01:15:59

Went for a run last night and legs felt heavy which wasn't helped by the heavy backpack I was carrying but still did 4 miles at 8:30 pace.
  • Liking the sofa and the nibbles, I'll bring some biscuits   (boy this is a friendly forum)

I have looked at my finishing photos and they are bad! I know that Old Shadow says that no one looks good in last  100 meters I have to say my photos are case an point!! So far my best every HM photo was at Birmingham last year and that was only because it was taken at the start!!!

I am going to lobby for a tunnel for all the ladies to run through 400 meters before the end, were there are people ensuring that in your finishing photo you look your very best!!  Nell McAndrew and the lovely Sophie Raworth, looked fantastic when they were being interviewed just after finishing make up in place and glowing....which I can tell you was not my experience at the end!!

so much so I am going to be investing and trying out a lot of waterproof makeup before next years race!So what is next for everyone ??

I have Cardiff half and Birmingham half coming up in October

• Good morning, all

Love the photo, Stephen

Walker was one of the first runners I took notice of, mainly because my mum would drool whenever he raced. Wasn't his name John though ? He had a lovely smooth running style, always looked comfortable, like Ovett, Coe, Cram at their best. Makes you want to spit. Bit of trivia for fans of useless but interesting facts, John Walker was the first athlete to record 100 sub-4 minute miles.

• Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭

Just thought I would look to book somewhere to stay for next year.

Places seem to be quite 'full - already'  image

• How fantastic was Sunday??? My 1st GNR and definitely not my last image

The people we met over the weekend and the crowds were out of this world and so friendly, really made up for the disappointment of being 10 mins outside my predicted timeimage

Finished in 1:59:23 just scraping in under the hour mark image

Well done to everyone x 

• **sits on the sofa, hands out pringles**

Monday was very dull after Sundays fab day! image  Went for a run with my club last night (7 miles) and found it tough  going and struggled to keep up with people I usually can match. Legs ached and felt tired but glad I went as I feel better today. Photos arent brilliant so dont know if I'll be buying any but I quite liked the 'medal one' .

Next the Bridlington Half in October - usually a lovely sunny day, testing hill at mile 7 and long 2 mile stretch along the coastline to the finish on the promenade. Fish n chips to follow, another great day out image

• Morning all

First of all well done to all of you who ran on Sunday. Fantastic efforts by you all. Great reading all the reports.

Ive decieded to enter next year.image Some of you who know me may be surprised by this after I said no more after doing 10 GNR's.

The reason why is on Sept 5th my families world turned upside down. While down in Leeds before attending a meeting I collapsed with a seizure. I woke up to find myself in intensive care in Leeds hospital. After a CT scan and MRI scan,what was found was a low grade glycoma tumour on my brain. For the benefit of everyone Ive been handed over to the Newcastle RVI for treatment. So far Ive had no more seizures and Ive recovered really well from the attack. Ive an appointment this friday to see the neurosurgeon to discuss the way forward with the tumour. I'll let you all know whats happening.

One thing they did say was if it wasn't for my running my recovery from the attack wouldn't be as quick.

Keep smiling everyone.image

• Sorry to hear your news Mick and I hope your appointment goes well on Friday. Welcome along to the GNR 2012 party - I'm sure its going to be a special one image

• Mick - sorry to hear about your seizure - hope the treatment goes well & look forward to meeting you next year

Hotel is booked for 15th Sept 2012 image Still availablity - Highfield Hotel - Houghton Le Spring - £40 for a single (breakfast extra)

Right then - next race Chester Marathon on 9th October - Gulp Gulp image

• You were missed this year Mick,be great to see and have a drink with you next year.Good luck for Friday.
  • Mick

Gosh that news must have come as a great shock to you and your family!! but you seemed to have processed it all and got a really postive way forward, good luck with your appointment on Friday and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Mick, hope you get some positive news on Friday. 

Well, after reading that some of you have booked already for next year I decided I better get on with it and have  booked a travelodge family room for £60.  It's a flexible rate so if I dont get in the ballot I can cancel it or sell it on if friends get in and I dont.

I dont think I have seen a charity that asks for less than £250 sponsorship which I couldnt raise so hopefully I will be lucky enough to get a ballot place again.

• Woa Mick, that's bad luck.  Allt he best for the treatment.  At least GNR 2012 will give you something to aim for.  I guess you'll be wanting to lie down on the sofa for a while, so shuffle up everyone.
  • MtM - sorry to hear your news. Hopefully you will get some positive action on Friday.
  • Just signed up for the notification, be nice to get on the ballot again.
  • Oh my goodness Mick - what a shock. Sending you all my love and hope the treatment is a huge success. Good luck for your appointment on Friday. Stay strong and positive as thats half the battle done.

Well the sofa is getting lovely and full but theres plenty of room for more!!

• alib1975 wrote (see)

Well, after reading that some of you have booked already for next year I decided I better get on with it and have  booked a travelodge family room for £60.  It's a flexible rate so if I dont get in the ballot I can cancel it or sell it on if friends get in and I dont.

I thought you could only book 11months in advance for traveodge? think i  better get on the blower

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Bloody hell MtM - hope things turn out ok mate.

I`m enjoying reading the posts / race reports (except yours MtM) - keep them coming. I will try to write my report as soon as I can.

• Bloody hell, Mick. What a shocker. I bet all the iron in your blood was a contributary factor to your recover too. All the very best for Friday, mate. Keep us informed.
    If you're going to do the GNR next year, you might as well make it a "Geordie double" and join us on the 9th June too, for a post Blaydon jar or four in The Bridge. (It is a Saturday after all)

Postman has brought me my number (295) for Carlisle today image It arrived just after I got in from my last long run before the race. 10.5 miles, with winds, rough ground in places and enforced delays to cross roads. All that, and my pace worked out at sub 1:50 for a half image So, I'm tapering now, and all being well I should line up in Carlise feeling confident that the PB is there for the taking and hopefully in really good shape to attack 1:45

Forget the sofa, is there a bar in our new home, I need a post run recovery pint of the black stuff. Anyone going to join me?

• lol @ crosspost. Please note the times of mine and Mr K's messages. I did not plagiarise his opening words.
  • Mick - so sorry to hear that news. Hope Friday goes well and you get some answers and a treatment programme.

This year was my last year on the 3yr bond place thingy. will probably sign up again for another three years if we get the option. Can anyone remember when they usually send out the Bond place emails. I think they will have my old email so just wanted to make sure that I do apply in time. GNR was my first race after I started running in May 2005 so I woudln't want to miss one!