Options

Great north run 2012

Comments

• Options

Robbo-77

I booked on-line and received confirmation etc.  I think it is 365 days in advance (I remember seeing a message when I tried last week).  I booked for Durham as it's not far away and cheaper.  Chester le street was £199!

• Options
    Mtm shocked to hear your news, but not as much as you and your family I bet. Hope you have some better news on Friday.

XL, I'm heading your way....mines a vodka and diet coke image well deserved after last nights sore recovery run.
  • Options
    Oh,have to ask....where abouts was the waterline? Just so I know for next time. I seen the riverside, quayside, slug and lettuce, mal maison and lots of other places, but not waterline.
  • Options
    Excellent. I hate drinking alone. Cheers, Holymoly <chinks glass> , and here's to your recovery run. Well done, you.
  • Options
    Waterline is further down river than those places, it's not quite as far down as the Millennium Bridge, and slightly away from the main pedestrian walk along the river. If you stay on the left hand side of the road, and walk east, you can't miss it. See you next year ?
  • Options

Healing vibes to MTM,Must have been a terrible shock for you and the family.Best of luck with the treatment.Strong and keep smilingimage

Amassive well done to all the GNR runners,Great efforts all around.It was weird not being there this year but no doubt I will enter again in the future.

• Options

Jovi - just checked my e-mails for last year - the priority offer was sent to me on 25th Nov - just in time for Xmas payday!!image

XL - enjoy the tapering!! (and count me in, of course, for the bar!!!!)

• Options

Cheers, Mandie. Glass of white wine for you, is it ?

• Options

Its a bit early, but go on........you've twisted my arm - Cheers!!

• Options

Bit early ?
    3pm is OK for a pleasant summer afternoon glass of anti-oxidant, isn't it ?

• Options
    Sure I'll be there next year. Got 2 years left on my 3 year membership image I walked over millennium bridge too so went far enough down quayside. Didn't stray from pedestrian area though...sorry to have missed everyone.
  • Options
    MtM - Gobsmacked by your news.  I hope you get positive news from the consultant and wish you a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    You should have asked someone, Holymoly. We Geordies are a friendly bunch, we're well known for not biting image
  • Options
    XL- I'm sure a pint of the black stuff would count as part of marathon trainingimage.
  • Options
    Mick - totally shocked by your news ! Hoping for a very speedy recovery for you mate, all the best.
  • Options

What were they asking for the 3 year membership last year?  Just wondered how it compares to three entry fees. 

Thanks.

• Options
    S_L_O - last year they asked for a one-off payment of £42 plus your entry fee of £46. After that you just need to pay your entry fee for each of the other two years of your membership. its a hell of a lot of money to find, especially just before Christmas but its nice to know you don't have to worry about the ballot for the next 3 years.
  • Options
    Thanks for that - I think if you have to travel as far as I do - having the opportunity to plan much further ahead would definitely be helpful.
  • Options
    Mick - I'm shocked to hear of your health news - I'll keep everything crossed for you for Friday and sending you my love.

HolyMoly ... if it's any consolation I had problems finding the Waterline last week too ... and I'm a local who was there last year! Like you I was too near the water line (ironic) and couldn't spot it higher up next to the Law Courts. I ended up ringing Mandie's mobile asking her where it was, lol.
  • Options
    Wow you guys dont waste anytime on starting new forums do you!! Good luck for friday MTM.
  • Options
    I had a great time, driving home Monday was like going home after a holiday, didn't want it to end and still buzzing about the whole thing now. Great to meet Mandie and Stringy, sorry I dashed off, my colleague who also ran called me. Hoping so much to get in next year and will come up Friday if I do to soak up more of the atmosphere and meet more people. My wife was down at the finish line from 8.30 and loved every minute of it, including seeing me struggle in the final mile for a time of 2:08:56 in my first half and first GNR, slower than I had hoped for based on training but happy with the achievement, I know what to do and what to expect for my next attempt. Really hope I get the chance for the 3yr membership, if not fingers crossed for the ballot or run for my charity, whatever I have to be there!!
    I can join my athletics club on 1st October and I am also entering Norwich Half-marathon so yes you got me hooked. Big thanks to everyone for the advice this year, this new "addiction" has kept me fit and I love it, met some great people and no matter what standard everyone is supportive of each other. My wife even likes to come along to my races and practice her new hobby photography so at long last something we can both enjoy.
  • Options

Mick - Best of luck on Friday, really puts stuff into perspective. Keep us all posted (if you obviously want to share)

Well, think my legs are just above fully recovered now. Still can't believe I got a PB on Sunday, now I am feeling really motivated to try and get a 5k and 10k PB in 2011.

• Options
    Blimey Mick, that's a real shocker. Glad to hear you're doing fine now and have my fingers crossed for you for good news on Friday.

Back to the grindstone for me and the marathon training tonight. 14 mile easy run home (though it was pretty windy at times so not as easy as I'd have liked!)
  • Options
    MTM, just read back to your post, wish you all the best on Friday.

CC2, clearly the best time amongst my friends, great running that and well done to everyone who took part
  • Options
    Forgot to say - waterproof make-up?????? Why on earth would you wear make-up to run a half marathon? Make up and sport should not be combined!

Stephen - loving your 70s inspired look. I bet you can get a 118 style vest on ebay, and the shorts are quite easy to get I think. Although on ebay they tend to market them as some sort of gay clubbing apparel. Viga sports used to do some seriously scary retro ladies running kit, they must surely do mens too. Have a laugh at these ladies 'briefs' for a start http://www.viga.co.uk/products.asp?catid=17128&cat_name=LYCRA-Briefs.
  • Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    Forgot to say - waterproof make-up?????? Why on earth would you wear make-up to run a half marathon? Make up and sport should not be combined!

Why on earth would you not wear make-up to a half marathon if that's your thing?  It puts some in a better frame of mind, and it's not like it slows you down.  Whatever cheers you up and makes you feel good about yourself (speaking as a person who likes to put a bit of slap on before leaving the house ... I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be posting better times if only I'd stepped away from the eyeliner - plus I wouldn't have looked half as good on my marathon photos image )

For what it's worth, whilst I was spectating on Sunday, I saw a few of the women's elites fly past - in full make-up.

Morning everyone - hope everyone's aches and pains have subsided now.

• Options

Morning everyone - hope everyone's aches and pains have subsided now

Unfortunately not image   Knee is killing me still!!! BUT ROLL ON BIRMINGHAM IN 4 WEEKSimage

• Options
    Mandie, getting a 3 year membership and knowing that I will be a part of this race again will be a great Christmas present for me, saving some money right now in case they offer it again