GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

Comments

• Oh dear, that means I'd better make sure I actually enter.

I like being on a list image Haven't made it on to a Pirate one yet (they seem very good at lists) cos I'm still trying to decide whether to go Ultra or Ironman.

But I did run for 1hr 15mins. If I run tomorrow too then that makes me more an Ultra person than an IM person. Especially as the Fink plan only starts off with a 30 min run for week 1. Mmmmmm big decisions to be made......

• Chili:
    TT in Feb then pick up Fink for IM Wales or Henley in September. Simples image
    To be fair, I would probably choose either Ultra or IM in the one year, simply because you can then enjoy the whole prep experience. Huge amount to consider for IM - dunno your Tri background but I would generally recommend going Olly-->HIM-->IM in subsequent years mainly because there is so much to pick up and why rush the experience?
    Having said that, life is short, and you gotta do what you gotta do.
    "If you want something badly enough the whole world will conspire in helping you to achieve that". Quote for today. Feeling philosophical.
    Happy training.
    NID
  • Incidentally chilibean I am in for the Outlaw IM next year, having done my first sprint tri this year (ND, your advice for Olly, HIM, IM is probably fairly sound but ive got the time and freedom now so it feels like the right time...)

I think the 2 could work well side by side - when i have trained solely for ultras in the past the risk of injury is quite high as i have a tendency to just want to keep piling on the mileage, if im training for an IM ill have to fit in more biking so i cant cane it on the running every day.

• Chili, I did my first IM this year, waited to see how I felt aftrewards then decided next year would be about the Ultras. I like having a goal event, and then really enjoy deciding what the next challenge will be. I also think after the training each of these events requires, it's good to have a shift in focus, as it makes the training seem fresher.

I trained for marathons in 2010, then chose triathlon to add a bit of variety to the training, and now I feel like I really want to get beck to basics ands do some long off road stuff.

It's a fun journey, and there's nothing like cracking a distance for the first time, so there's no hurry.

• "......advice for Olly, HIM, IM is probably fairly sound but ive got the time and freedom now so it feels like the right time...)"

Absolutely Katiecom, what feels right is what matters most. Outlaw has good feedback. Good luck.

• I'm in. Good fun this year, hope to use as the last long training run before Thames Path 100 a month later. Well that's the plan.
  • WoW Mr I the TP100 sounds like serious business!

I'm off for a bike/run this afternoon followed by a 10/15 tomorrow ahead of Snowdonia - then the big distance stuff begins...
  • Mmmm, this is all very interesting and i'm still very undecided. I've only been running (just under) two years and have been very careful to increase my distances slowly and hence have had no injuries. Kielder on the 9th was my first marathon. It's been two weeks and I'm feeling great - no niggles, legs working well. Although I haven't done a run longer than 1hr15, I have done a tough woodland trail.

In May I did my first Sprint Tri and really enjoyed it. But although I like my bike I really hate riding on roads and am scared of riding downhill. (Swim is fine and I now know I can do a marathon).

Am wondering if the jump up to 50 miles by Feb is going to be too much. Do I need to take some time out to rest after the marathon? Should I consider another year of running before going for an Ultra? I know if I'm going to do this TT50 I need to start training this week...

... sorry, I don't usual waffle about this much image

• Having done C2C in 2010 and Thames Trot earlier this year, I thought I'd go back to the C2C as it's a bit easier from a logistical perspective and also allows a bit more time before London. However, I've suddenly realised I've got something else on on the same day as C2C so looks like I'll be in for the TT again.

Got round in Feb in 8:11 but really struggled from about halfway round so will hopefully have learnt the lessons and go off slower this time around. 8 hour target perhaps.

Chilibean You should be OK making the step up - I presume that you're taking a couple of weeks off after Kielder but that still gives you plenty of time to get the miles in. Plenty of long slow runs seems to be the best preparation so if you're happy running during the winter months / in the dark you'll be fine. How did you get on at Kielder?
  • I loved it! image I am slow. 5hr7mins, but I did run the whole way without running out of puff. Legs ached so bad afterwards, but recovered pretty quickly.

And yes, I've only done short runs since. Nothing over 3 miles the first week. Did 7ish miles on Thursday... all very slow...

• Chilibean - nice one. I've heard great things about Kielder. Isn't that the one that Steve Cram was involved with?

Slow is the name of the game when it comes to Ultras, as I must tell myself this time around.

TT is a great course by the way - not too hilly as you're alongside the river for large parts of it.
  • well thats it i have enteredimage went out saturday and did a 33 miler so i am a bit more confident now, just have to stay injury free .
  • Excellent Hunterway, glad to hear it!
  • ok...i know chili on here and i know NIDimage...im sneaking on to here..not sure if i'll be ready for TT but im going to lurk here guys if thats ok for hints and tipsimage

hi chilli !! *waves* hi NID* waves again*

• Evening all!
    Well a better weekend, and kind-of still on the RW 50 training programme timed for the TT.
    How is everyone else getting on???

LLB - lurking is good image
  • Well Snowdonia done over the weekend, rather pleased with my 3:39, especially given the weather, I hope the TT is kinder in this respect! One awesome race in the bag, now to focus hopefully on the next. Will give it until tomorrow then need to get back out for a few short ones, hopefully going long & easy by the weekend. I bagged a nice camelbak up in Snowdonia, so have the hydration sorted for the longer ones, need to practise with it now!

I'm going with the aim of hitting back to back 20s by the end of the month, then trying to keep this up for 6/7 weeks on top of my usual base. It's going to mean some early starts which I hate but will hopefully do the job. On top I'm thinking of planning a 40+ over the xmas hols. Not especially scientific but will suit me image

hunterway & LLB welcome aboard image
  • Well done SoS. 3:39 sounds awesome given the terrain. How much ascent??? Race looks nice. Will add to the to-do list.
    Which Camelbak? I'm in the market for a new one - with adequate storage for mandatory Ultra kit as well as fluids etc (and sarnies of course).
    NID
  • Mmmmm, not sure that I'm going to be ready for this.

So far this year (second year of running) I have only run 4 days a week and cross-trained one. I'm thinking of using the next few months to get a base of 5 running days a week before increasing mileage. I really want to do an ultra next year but don't want to get injured. 

SoS - congratulations on Snowdon - sounds a very good time on a very tough route.

• Thanks NID! Defo add the Snowdonia to the list IMHO it is the best one around, hard but so well organised and you can't beat the location even when it tips it down all day and gales whip it into your face (as per Sat!). My garmin has it at a net negative 21ft climb, what's that out of 4560 ft though image Awesome race image
    I got the octane xct, 3L of fluids plus some handy looking pockets. I particularly liked the fact it has a waist strap with pockets you can access on the run for snacks etc. Can't wait to try it in anger!
  • & Thanks Chili!!! Sounds like a solid plan increasing the mileage gradually, injuries & niggles come and go, I guess part of the game is rolling with them. All you can really do is minimise the risk & enjoy your running! Being ready at that point will be a mental game...
  • Hmm, may do both of these as training runs, depends really on how easy it is to get there by public transport from London. Does anyone know if they sold out last year and whether they took entries on the day?
  • Just signed up for this. it will be a shock to the system as I havnt done very much at all for the last 18 months, longest run in that time was a 1/2 marathon - and only one of those ! The year before that I did Comrades, London to Brighton and various other ultras, so will be interesting to see if I can get the legs working again - looks like I'm in for a busy 3 months training, oh well !

• Awesome Martin welcome aboard!

I would update the growing list, but waiting for Loulabell to sign up first image

• Hi all, i'm doing the TT too, mainly as a training run leading up to the UTSW.

Just getting my self back up to marathon distance for Rutland this Sunday, strangely looking forward to it.

Is it really only 3 months left...?

• ok, I think this is where we are at, apologies if wrong:
    In:
    NiceIronDad (First Ultra!)
    Colin Jones 15 (old hand!)
    SOS_flyer (32 in bag, pushing for more!)
    Katiecom (45 in bag, pressing on...)
    Tiago Hefner 2 (FU)
    Hunterway (??FU)
    Martin Randall (OH!)
    Superglue (??OH)

Hopeful
    Chilibean (FU)

Forecast VERY WET for the next few days. I shall be trotting around centreparks Longleat in the dark mist and gloom tomorrow morning!
  • I think i'm somewhere in between OH and FU... i've done a couple of 30m+ and one 100km... but only just started doing ultras this year.

Nice to meet you all image

• I'm in and similar to Superglue - 2 Ultras so far (as well as 12 marathons), and both times I said "never again"!
  • Hi everyone,

On a whim I signed up for this last week. I did my first 50m ultra in May and was a convert. Having said that I feel like I've got the hips of a 90 year old today after my first run of more than 15miles since my ultra!
    Last time I followed a 25/5min run/walk with a strict rule that I would walk anything uphill no matter how short or how good I was feeling. It got me to the end in one piece. I will be hoping for about 10 hours. Is anyone else looking at around that time?

looking forward to meeting you all
    Vickie
  • NiceIronDad wrote (see)
    Well done SoS. 3:39 sounds awesome given the terrain. How much ascent??? Race looks nice. Will add to the to-do list.
    Which Camelbak? I'm in the market for a new one - with adequate storage for mandatory Ultra kit as well as fluids etc (and sarnies of course).
    NID

NID, me too..i want one with little pockets at the front of waist strap so i dont have to dislocate my arm mid run trying to snaffle a gel out of the backimage....i have a few good ones recommended to me but i need to try them..being a little person i gotta make sure it will stay on! did a run other night whist wearing my current one and i actually felt very at home with it..it automatically made me slower and it was fine to wear , its just not going to big enough for miles of over 20mile or more whn supplies are needed and room to stuff clothes inimage...seen a nice one in Decathalon i may go for...

NID...i REALLY want to do this as Tiago isnt far from me and offered to recce some with me prior to event ...like chili though, i dont know if i can train upto 50mile point by Feb!!image

• mmm, I'm still a couple of weeks behind my training plan in order to be ready for this.

I have a question - at what point should i train run/walk? I mean, I know I can run (jog) slowly for 4 hours without needing a walk. But that's a bit different to 50 miles. Mook - I think your plan sounds very sensible, but when do you start doing that in your training? 

Loula - we have the same hydrapack and I trained with it all summer. Found it very easy and comfy to wear. I'm quite a bit taller than you and wore my little waist belt too with my food in.