GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

Comments

• Jenny

I did the Thames Trot and the London ultra this year. 

I got a below par time in the London ultra, but I did not in any way struggle with it. 

It is worth doing the London ultra because it is becoming a social hub for ultra running.  A lot of hard core ultra runners use it as a training run, take the course slowly, and chat to whoever is around. 

• Ben- I did the London Ultra this year-my first ultra on my 50th birthday!  I loved it although kept on getting lost....image. In a way it would be lovely to round off the year with the London Ultra again- the next day I will be 51!   You are right about there being many core ultra runners there. I felt quite humbled to tell the truth in the expo the day before
  • jenny, i think some of the guys on here are hardcore too...they scare me with their mileage etc..image..im so inexperienced-but im trying hard to do this ultra malarkyimage
  • Loulabell- I just think of it as something to aspire to! . It's good to be in the company of such venerable people!image

• Jenny, Loula

A year can be a long time in the career of an ultra runner. 

In November 2009, I had recently completed my first half marathon in 1.53, and was training for the Kilomathon.  I had no plans to run a full marathon, and would have never dreamed that I would one day become an ultra runner. 

In November 2010, I had completed two short ultras (Northants ultra and Notts ultra), and wanted to see if I could do a 50 miler.  I read an article about Comrades and decided to put my name down for it. 

Now we are in November 2011.  I have done eight ultras including a 100 miler, and my running has turned into a 70 mile a week obsession. 

I will be interested to see where I stand in November 2012. 

• Evening all...
    Some impressive training hours being put in here!
    I am plodding on.
    Did my longest run for ages yesterday, a 3.30 20miler, which I really enjoyed and left me feeling like an ultra runner to be...!
    This morning though my Achilles was seriously objecting, it sometimes gets clicky, but not painful, after a long run. That depressed me a little, and the doubts of "can I make the grade" started creeping in. I down-graded the planned 3.00 run to just 1.20 today, and actually felt fine after, the clicking has gone.
    I guess these sort of niggles come with the ultra membership card?
    It will be great to see a few people at the Portsmouth Coastal, I will be there.
    Nid
  • NID, dont get down , i have had niggly knee problem since august but im gradually getting round it. i too started to wonder how i was going to get to higher mileage whn i was getting to 8miles and being in a lot of discomfort. ive found tht walking up hills or inclines and using tht slow bit to drink and eat and just stretch even for only 4/5 mins helps enormously and last week the 16miles was fine..you will be too..i like the 'membership card'..made me smileimage
  • Jenny50 wrote (see)

Loulabell- I just think of it as something to aspire to! . It's good to be in the company of such venerable people!image

oh yes, i agree jenny. dont get me wrong, whilst reading posts about these guys mileage and going' WHATT!!! ''...i am also thinking 'yeah, im gonna do that too 'image....and as ive said already the peeps on these threads are fab, very helpful, very friendly and im taking all their tips and advice on board.

ben, sounds a familiar train of thought!..i never thought 2 years ago id be aiming for this either!..in fact i kind of fell into the whole running thing by accident..and only did 2 HMS because someone suggested it would be good practise. this time last year, i could only run a max of 8miles...so yes, what a difference a year makes

• Loula

I signed up for my first race (a half mara) because my work colleagues goaded me into it. 

I was much more into the drinking and partying scene back then. 

Running ultimately displaced partying as my addiction of choice!

• Cheers LLB.
    Now the *other* darned achil is clicky today, other one fine!
    Ben - I like the "year is a long time" thing. I guess we all get in timescale pressures with ourselves. I was thinking if 2012 is too soon, there's always 2013!
    Rest day today. Yippee!
  • I went for a run along the Thames Path yesterday form Cholsey to Oxford as a part recce for the Thames Path 100. One thing to be aware of - Benson Lock will be out of action until the end of March so there is a diversion in place, it is well signposted and adds about 1km. See http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ThamesPath/uploads/Benson Closure plan.pdf

• Hi All, hope everything is going well with training.

Thought i had a light week this last week but totalled it up as 60miles (most of them slow miles). Great multi-terrain 10mile race in Pembrey yesterday morning too.

Out of interest has anyone got or found a GPX file of the route for the TT50? I'm guessing it's gonna quite easy to navigate this though....!?

• OMG,

I am going to do it as well!! It is going to be my first run of that length, 30mi has been my furthest so far. At night I dream of running along a moonlight-lit river, with wet feet, and hands and face being freezing cold.

And I am still looking forward to do it.

Have I gone completely insane?  (everyone around me nods)

Moni

• SGB -  it's a fairly straightforward route, but there are parts where you have to cross the river that are worth knowing about!!

I downloaded the route from mapmyrun onto my Garmin when I did it (earlier this year) and I think it's still up there (assuming the route hasn't changed) although I couldn't seem to get it onto my Garmin around.

Will try again tonight.

• Cheers Lorenzo, i found it too afterwards. is it the one that is biked rather than run? it seems to follow the correct route (from what i know fo the CPs).

Welcome in MoniK.

• SGB - not sure, but I've just looked back on Fetch and I've got the route there. Any idea how I can attach it to a post, bearing in mind it's 1.5Mb in size?
  • Not sure either, but here's a weblink for anyone that needs it (is it the correct route?)...

http://www.mapmyrun.com/s/routes/view/run-jog-map/united-kingdom/oxford-henley/11869760

It can be exported as a GPX file from the website...

• Oooh, im very pleased to see its downhill image

I have run this course already this year as part of the TOAD challenge, but the terrain was obviously very different at the height of summer (some of the runners got sunstroke!). 

Looking forward to this muchly!  Is anyone else heading up from London on the morning of the race?

• SGB - that is pretty much the correct route, although Benson Lock is out of action so there is currently a diversion round Preston Crowmarsh and Crowmarsh Gifford. According to the signs this diversion will be in place until the end of March. See my post above for the diversion map.
  • MoniK - excellent! I am losing count now.
    Not sure about my race morning logistics yet. Might try and find an early train.
    ....I still feel a bit behind on the training schedule. Need to try and get a B2B 2/3.30 in this weekend but now I have a cold!
    I trust those at the front will drop flour around the detours so we can follow image
  • Hi All

I've entered this also as my first Ultra.

I live in Pangbourne just halfway along the route so if all else fails I'll be handing out butties as you go by.

I'm only up to 17.2 miles for my longest run and I'm looking to increse 2 miles every weekend. I'm enjoying the challenge.

I usually fit my long run in on a Weekend starting at about 4.30 a.m.  It's not the most sociable sport is it?  3-4 hours long runs. I also love running at night through the woods I run mostly along paths (my wife worries but I have GPS evidence of where I have been!).

I'm planning on running 5 walking 1. I'm training from now on with a bleep every 6 mins so come the race I can turn the bloody thing off as it will hopefully just be natural.

I've been running the path from Pangbourne to Wallingford and I can report it's still pretty dry.

I need Christmas present ideas, what size rucksack would you take on a 50 miler? I'm half way through the thread so forgive me if it's been mentioned. 

Cheers

Good luck everyone with the training. 

• Andrew I'm with you on the joys of running in the dark through the woods. Can't say I'm out quite as early as you, but normally manage a couple of 5.15 starts during the week.

Trust you have a decent head torch although it's a bit spooky when you come across someone walking their dog and all you can see are a couple of red specks as the light is reflected off their eyes.

Re rucksacks, a couple of years ago I was given an Innov8 Race Pro 12 which I can highly recommend - decent amount of space, good hydration system and comfortable to run in.
  • Hi Lorenzo

I was lost in the woods on Sunday morning, sometimes it's hard to keep to the path if it's barely used especially in beech woods, I looked up from the brambles I was standing in when a deer ran past about 10 feet away, all I could see was his eyes light up. Amazing!

I know what you mean about the dogs. The eyes look massive, and when you get close it's a little terrier.  

Do you think a 12L would be big enough for this race? I had a look at the OMM 25L classic today and it looks a good bit of kit.

• Andrew - I used the 12L pack last year and it was perfect. More than enough space for any bits and pieces you might need and bear in mind that there's plenty of food at the check points. The only change I'd make is to carry less water from the start and to find a way of filling up en route.
  • Yes I would agree carry less water,plenty of checkpoints to refill.
  • Does anybody know if there is a mandatory kit list for this one?
  • Looking forward to this now, doing the Saxon shore marathons this weekend, one sat and one sun. at slow pace to see how legs cope, then got glocester 50 in Jan.

Not sure what my stratergy will be yet as not done an Ultra as yet. just to finish would be nice! but under 9 will do me. pb for marathon is 3.26. Time will tell I guess.

Any surgestions on pace and walk run times?

Paul

• Hey Paul, I'm doing both days of the Saxon Shore and the Thames Trot too.
    It will be my first ultra too, so I'm not sure about run/walk strategies. My marathon time is 3.39 so I'll be a bit slower than you. As far as next weekend goes, I'm thinking of aiming for sub 4hrs for both days, trying to take it slow and easy on day one, instead of getting over excited.
  • PG2, TH2 - if it's any help, my marathon PB is just under 3:15 and I did the TT in 8:11 earlier this year. I'm aiming for sub 8 hours this time around having learnt some valuable lessons in February!

Good luck to both with the Saxon Shore - where is it?

XC for me this morning although I didn't go flat out as my legs were still feeling the effects of a 25 miler on Friday night
  • That was a good time Lorenzo. so maybe 8.5 to 9 will be about right for me. just have to work out how I do it lol.

I'm going to leave the car at the finish and get a train up to the start staying at the holiday inn about 1.6 miles away from the start.

The Saxon shore is in Kent on the coast nr Sandwich. 

Tiago, Yeah I was thinking of x2 sub 4hrs. although me and my mate have a party saturday night so sunday my be a bit slower image.

will see you there I guess.

Regards.