Options

Stroud Half 2011 = First Half Ever!

Hi Everyone,

Well...I have agreed to run the Stroud Half Marathon for a local charity - Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust - I started running after quitting smoking and I have worked out that the Stroud half will be exactly 6 months to the day since I first tied on my running shoes image

I have been following a training plan and I'm due to go for a 12 mile training run tomorrow, I did 11 last Sunday, 10 the Sunday before etc as well as running with a club and other training runs during the week...I believe in the training but to say I'm a little bit anxious would be a HUGE understatement, and I'm having a slight confidence crisis or as my friend refers to it a case of the "pre-race freak outs".

Is there anyone out there who is or has run this race? Any info/advice anyone could give me would be really appreciated image

Thanks in advance

Carley xx

Comments

• Options
    Hi Carley,

I'm pretty new to running too, getting on for about 8 months or so, and have just done my first race...the GNR, I felt exactly the same as my training had not gone to plan with injuries and was not able to run for a few weeks before the event, Now after doing it I realise I had nothing to worry about, I was fine on the day and am still buzzing about it, in fact I would do it again tomorrow.

You really have covered the milage to enable you to do this, and your adrenaline come race day will fire you up too, everytime you get a head rush take some deep breaths, focus and tell yourself that you can do this, or any other positive mantra that works for you, your legs have already done the hard work but your brain needs convincing, I think it is just fear of the unknown and perfectly normal.

Good luck.....you CAN! do this
  • Options

Carly

You will be fine like Mack said just stay focused and take deep breaths dont get taken away by the europheria of it all and just take it steady until you find your feet and feel happy to go at a steady pace. Ive done a few runs this year i did my first HM in Adderbury , i was also tempted by the Stroud half as it quite close to where i live but have decided on the Birmingham HM on the same day , which will be the biggest one ive taken part in so that will be something new to myself, but i have confidence in my running and training that i will cope and by the sounds of your training you have been doing well and should be confident in your ability.

Good luck you will be fine 

• Options
    Seconded with the going at a steady pace JB.....do not be tempted to go off too fast Carley or you will struggle later, some runners will be faster than you, very important that you run at at pace that you are comfortable with, I did have a time in my head that I wanted to achieve, but finally decided that just getting around and hopefully enjoying it was more important, it was my first HM .....there would be runs in the future for faster times, this actually took the pressure off and the nerves subsided, I did run within my comfort zone, I did enjoy it and also got under my initial target time anyway, go and enjoy it Carley.....you may just suprise yourself.
  • Options

Thanks guys...your right, I think it's more a mental issue (no jokes please!) than a lack of training.

I've been chatting with a few of the women from my running club and they have all said the same thing - Don't be tempted to go off too fast and get caught up with the speedier runners. Fortunately I have my trusty Garmin to tell me when I am getting ahead of myself until i find my groove so to speak.

I'm thinking the same way as you now Mack, who cares what time I do it in, it's my first half and one in my home county at that so I'm just going to run my race, enjoy the atmosphere and hope for the best. To be honest as long as I get round I don't really care anymore. Also I've heard there is very reasonably priced tea and home made cakes after as well so if all else fails....run towards the cake image

JB, I also considered Birmingham but went with Stroud as it's closer and also the charity link, please let me know how you get on.

Thank you both for your advice...feeling more confident already

Cheers

Carley x

• Options
    Carley, is there any good runs by you for training i live not a million miles away but its mostly flat

There has been some good advice in the HM terms ive done one but only trotted it to make sure all was ok and came in at 2.04 and thinking i can go abit quicker next time
  • Options

Hi JB, I'm pretty much in the city centre so I'm limited for hills as well to be honest. My running club do some hill training up Robinswood Hill, it's good for trails up there too....although also a favourite with dog walkers!

Have you tried http://www.walkjogrun.net/ I've poached quite a few good training routes from this website! I don't know if you have used it before but you put in your post code and it brings up routes that other runners in you area have plotted and saved - there's quite a few for Glos of varying length. Quite handy as most of them have put comments about terrain etc.

If you come across any good ones let me know image

2:04!!! That's a brilliant time for a first HM..especially as you just trotted along!! I think I'll just wait and see what time I come in but in my last 11 mile training run I did it in 1:52 and I wasn't paying attention to time so I'm hoping to not be too far over 2 hours but I'm not really bothered...I keep saying I'm not the fastest runner but I intend to be the smiliest...there's some right miserable so and so's out there isn't there!

• Options

Hi Carley

I put in Tewkesbury running club last night they have a few varying runs on there which they put on after thay have done one , they look pretty decent cause they are various from road to cross country in which i do like a good multi terrain one . i did the Apperley Quarter marathon in September which was a good hard run which had roads, Farmers fields hills it was tough still waiting on the results all i know is i came in 5th i think about 42 mins.

If you didnt you should try that one next year there is a web page for it, ive not lived in these areas long so still finding my feet as i used to do alot of my training over Cannock Chase. Ive been over chosen Hill but i got lost and tangled up by all the paths and to which one led where and kept ending up in the same spot .

i will look at the link you sent through to see if any worth getting onto. at the moment i kind of run down the A38 towards Glos then head off into Treddington it works out to 7 mile which i do in about 50 mins but its flat I NEED HILLS lol

• Options

Wow...very speedy!!

Yes Chosen is a difficult one to navigate..and I've lived here all my life. Robinswood is a good one with lots of markers pointing direction which is quite good. Crickley Hill is another good one.

To say we live somewhere where you can see hills whichever way you turn we aren't doing very well are we!!

A few from my running club did Apperley and said it was tough but good, a few of us also did the St James Place 10K in Cirencester back in August, multi terrain which was brilliant but more undulating than hilly...hmm I think this one is going to take some thinking about image

• Options

I agree i look around from where i live i can see hills from wher i live everywhere but unless i travel to them then i will not run them.

This year ive done Hell in the middle, sole destroyer, the beast , adderbury and apperley with Birmingham coming up and whether i do the guy fawkes run arounf Tewkesbury.

i dont realise if i run quick i just allow Runkeeper in my ears telling m what average and i like to try and beat it but it is predominitely the feeling of proudness to complete a run.

I moved down here to late to enter the Glos half and Cheltenham half. But i do want to look at doing an Ultra next year

• Options

So what training you putting in for the HM Carley? how many times a week you running ant to what mileage ?

• Options

Well, I've been following training plan that I was given (I think it's from Womens Running Magazine...shh don't tell RW!) that has been increasing my mileage from about 12miles a week to currently 23miles a week...I don't have a time in mind I just want to get round the course in one piece.

I was supposed to do a 12mile run 2 weeks ago but couldn't due to a bruised heel - that will teach me to walk around barefoot in the garden! I attempted it again this weekend but had to cut my run short after nearly fainting at mile 8...hadn't been feeling well for a few days but really wanted to run...safe to say I have learnt my lesson image

I've still been to my running club and will be there tonight as feeling much better and planning a nice 6 miles on Thurs and having yet another go at 12 miles this weekend..fingers crossed, as there are only 18 days left til race day!!!! Starting to worry a bit (read as a lot) now that I've fallen behind with my training...concerned that an 11mile long run won't be enough??? Up until the wheels (or legs) fell I off I was running 4 times a week but the last 2 weeks my mileage has really taken a battering image

• Options

im struggling on the training front ive really done nothing i did 2x 7 mile runs last week ,  but with work i dont seem to fit evereything in unless i start going late at night .

Sounds like your plan is working quite well i know with the heat it has hampered abit.

i wouldnt worry though Carley i reckon you will be fine , i know its normal to be nervous but think positive and everything will be good

I wont tell a soul about the womens running mag lol

• Options
    I'm doing the Stroud half for the first time too. Never run any races before. It's a lovely course - ran it a couple of weeks ago and it's much flatter there than on the hills where I usually go
  • Options
    Sounds like your ready for it ifky i visaged it as being hilly
  • Options
    I ran it again yesterday (well all of it bar Oldends Lane industrial estate). Hillier than I remembered but still flat compared to my normal Cotswold hills routes. Just shy of 12 miles in 1:50 with a gentle final 2 miles so still a good chance of beating my 2 hour target (hopefully not too bad for an overly tall, mid 40s newbie).
  • Options

The industrial estate is the bit everyone seems to say is the worst part - I'm not sure if that's because it is the quietest part in terms of crowd support?!

That's a very good time IKFY for a newbie or not, I'm a slow runner...I did 12miles for the first time last week and it took 2hours 5mins...I don't have a target time, I'll just be happy to finish and not be last if I'm honest as I've only been running 6 months and it is not a natural activity for me!

I'm guessing it is going to be quite hilly for me then as I'm used to running near the city centre, a colleague has said the route is more undulating...he lives in Stroud so he is used to it but I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't concerned.

Also not sure what to do about training this weekend...I did 12miles last Sunday and 2 more 5 milers this week so I can't decide if I should only do 8 miles this weekend and save my legs for Stroud or to try for the 13 and then rest really well all week...any advice greatly received

Carley x

• Options

Carley and Ifky good luck for Sunday in the Stroud half .

Drove past that Industrial Estate last Saturday nice hill there.

Do i play Football on Saturday or not before Birmingham on Sunday?

What times are you hoping for in your HM?

• Options

Hi JB,

When you say nice hill do you mean big hill???

I'm not planning on getting round in a certain time, I just want to get round - As it is my first half I'm quite happy to plod along some where in the middle/near the back, although preferably not last, get round in one piece and hopefully still with a smile on my face as I cross the line. I'll worry about times for the next one.

I wouldn't play football the day before if it was me, chances of injury are far too high the day before the half for my liking... I ran 5 miles last Sunday and did 6 on Tuesday with my running club, am planning 2/3 tonight as I'm getting a bit twitchy with pre race nerves and then will be resting up well for Sunday. That is my excuse for staying in pjs all day on Saturday anyway! I did 12 the Sunday before and keep hearing I should taper down the week or 2 before so fingers crossed I've got it right!

Good Luck on Sunday - Let me know how you get on image

Carley x

• Options
    The industrial estate "hill" is practically non existent, don't worry. The only ones on the course are a small rise between miles 3 and 4 and just shy of a mile of gentle-ish uphill on the A38 (the bit that runs past Attwoolls between mile 6 and 7). Otherwise it's mostly flat.

I wouldn't worry about any of it though. If you've ever run the hills to the east of Stroud as I do then you'll barely even notice these.
  • Options
    Well Carly the lads of Whitminster want me to play first half ........ not sure what to do
  • Options
    Carley, ifky how was it?

Brum was good and maybe i shouldnt have played football yesterday legs got a little tired near the end well about 8 miles lol
  • Options
    Very good race, thanks. I got carried away at the start and did a few fast miles which affected my finish badly but even so I managed a respectable 2:06 - nearly 10 minutes faster than my best training run.

Would've been a little quicker if I hadn't stopped for a pee at 2.5 miles but the queue for the bogs at the start was horrendous.

Lovely course, nice crowd, mostly sensible drivers on the roads.

I heard someone collapsed and died though which is a terrible thing to hear. I hope it's just a bad rumour .
  • Options
    Well done ifky i had the toilet stop thing too but on the brum one they had them set around the course but still used the wall.

Lets hope that rumour is not true
  • Options

Hi Guys... well done both!! I managed 2:22 not the best I know but for a first half I am pleased...although not too happy about the inconsiderate arse who tripped me about mile 8 but didn't help me upimage...still I managed the last 5 with a tender hip! I think if that hadn't slowed me down I would have been in under 2:20...oh well there's always next year! And I am pleased to say I did not have to pee in a bush! image

I heard that someone collapsed and another was having CPR but hopefully no one died...maybe people are getting confused with last months Bristol HM??

I did appreiate the drummers on the industrial estate as well as the guys handing out jelly babies and support...especially the kids who had set up their own water/jelly baby station at about mile 12...cute

• Options
    Well done carley
  • Options
    well done Carley. 2:20's a good time - plenty of experienced runners behind you including my wife at 2:30 (and she's done marathons).
  • Options

Well done Mrs IKFY!! I am happy with my time, I think it's just because I fell that I'm wondering what I could have done if I hadn't never mind there's always next year! And I like 2:22 - it's got a nice ring to it image

• Options
    Well done to all 3 of you

I might do it next year we will see
  • Options
    Carley, ifky what are your plans for your next run?

Any news on the rumours of the collapsed runner?
  • Options

I'm doing the Ashton Court 10K in Bristol with a friend next month as it is her first race and I'm doing the Weston xmas cracker with quite a few of the ladies from running club and that's it for this year..hopefully a couple more HMs next year but not sure which ones yet. You?

I haven't heard anything about the collapsed runner..according to my family who were waiting patiently at the finish line a number of runners came in that weren't looking good and had to have a lie down...I've checked the local news but nothing on there so hopefully just a rumour!