HADD training plan

Comments

• When is the marathon Andi?   (save me reading back)

• Tis Loch Ness spen, 29th September.

• Andi - great pace at 69% - I'm sure you will smash the 5 hrs with that HR. Don't forget you'll be running at a higher HR - and as long as you've put the miles in stamina shouldn't be a problem. I reckon its all those hills that are sorting you out image

Brian - tough luck on the stitch - so far something that has thankfully passed me by

Doc says another 4 - weeks in the braceimage And absolutely no running (or cycling - little did he know!) for 6 weeksimage. So back on the bench for a while longer. Still I will take heart from all you guys and gals putting in some great runs. I was really looking forward to a summer of HADDing as well - so beginning of August I guess will be my new start date - that then gives me a good 3 mths running before the winter sets in - will have to start slow.

• Txs BeDe, looks like I've turned that magical HADD corner and things are coming together image

Are you going to heed the Docs advice and lay off cycling? it would be terrible if it slowed your recovery and personaly I thought it would have taken much longer so maybe your fitness at the time of the accident is helping recovery image

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Wow, many events to read about. Only have a few minutes but wanted to say BeDe, hang in there. That is tough news, but you can at least know you'll have skipped most of the summer heat. I lost my summer last year but it was actually OK once I accepted it...more time to get all those other things tended to.

So yesterday hit the 13 miler and today did a 6 mile recovery. Interesting data so far this week. The Tuesday 11 miler averages were 8:05 m/m @ HR 144 (72%). Wed's 13 was 8:08 m/m @ HR 143 (72%). I was looking back to April and those same efforts gave a pace around 8:45 m/m. I can tell my legs are moving faster, but the effort is very controlled and sustainable. HR has remained very even over these past two runs. At this point, I think I'm really going to have to rely on HR for training (rather than strict pace). I think the P&D would have had me running these medium long runs in the 75 to 78 range. Maybe need to find a P&D forum to see how others are doing this.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Oh, Brian, I would kill to nail that time w/out a stitch!image

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the consolations folks. I have doms today!!!!

Vt, see the "P&D Autumn Marathon Thread".

• Anybody running this weekend?   Small matter of Welsh 3000s for me.   Not sure what to expect due to weather

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

(((BeDe)))  sorry to hear.

Great progress VT image

Andi: looks like you have to rethink your marathon pace pretty soon. Things are looking great! Yeah, the forgetting to start the timer can be an issue when you are displaying HR only image

I did 12 miles this morning with 10 @ sub LT- thought I must earn my beer image. The sub LT ones worked out at 8:08 average pace. I take that. It's very windy today so some of the splits were slow in order to keep the old HR in check. Fastest was 7:58, slowest 8:19.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Bede, soz! Missed your post. Thats tough luck... remember the doc will always quote worst case scenario. 

Excellent run chick! Sub lt with resistance! Hate doing the harder runs when it's windy. Enjoy the beers.

• VT, looks like your HADDing has really paid off knocking all that time off since April image

Brian, since I started HADDing doms has more or less become a thing of the past for me though am sure when I start doing some 80% runs they'll be backimage

Good luck for the Welsh 3000's spen and hope you get the weather your after image

Chick, well done on the morning run! I was still recovering from my beer whilst you were out earning yoursimage I used to log all my food/excercise on myfitnesspal.com and running calories burnt = beer tokens lol. Rather than change my current goals I think I'll add a third one so... 1, is to get round, 2, sub 5 hours and 3, probably sub 4:45. I've got the Mull HM in August and whilst not training specifically for this it should give me a better idea of Marathon time.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

BeDe ... hang in thereimage. Sending you good vibes.

Spen ... good luck with the 3000s (thought you'd converted overnight to a 3000m track runner until I looked it up!image).

Chick - glad you've got off your lazy arse and done some sub-LT training.imageimage ... great session by the way.image

Great stats VT. I think I'll just use Hadd right up to the mara but, after base phase I'll just remove one sub-LT run and replace it with a mid-week long, plus include some 80-83% mileage at the end of the Sunday LSRs.

Had a good lunchtime outing on the canal ... even passed by some bloke claiming to have DOMS but moving way too fast to have his claim taken seriouslyimage. My run was the same as Wednesday's ... 7M at 70% maxHR, 9:21/m. Also cycled to work ... hoping to get back alive (thunderstorm predictedimage).

• Cheers all for good wishes - beer tonight!!image

• Enjoy the beer BeDe, will have a dram (or three) for you laterimage

Dr.Dan, was that Brian that passed you? Doms used to stop me going out but I found that if I did go out it seemed to ease though HADDing has all but stopped them now image

I too did 7 miles today though 10:55/m and 72%, no need for me to cycle to work as I work from home lol. Have gone off this route as it's more or less a 700ft incline out and 700ft decline back.

• 5 days of 70%- 75% running, legs are starting to feel ( normal ) will  try out a parkrun tomorrow, not to hard though.

Spen, all the best on the 3000m .

Andi, things are improving pace wise, keep it coming.

Brian, DOM ?

• Txs roy and yes, things seems to be improving image

Well done on your HR and it's Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Spen, good luck!

Today I converted my 9 mile (w/4 at half marathon pace) to 9 with 7 at sub-LT. It was hot/humid today and my legs were pretty tired, but managed 7:13 m/m @ HR ave 162 (82%). Despite the heat getting my HR up right away, I could have done a couple more. Still not super fresh feeling though...more work to be done on these efforts. But more miles in the tank...I'll take 'em. Also, my feet and legs feel awesome today (been awhile as everything has been beat up lately...maybe I'm getting used to the mileage/effort...). Tomorrow Rest, 15 on Sunday.

Dr. Dan, I think that sounds like a great plan. I'm going to either get a sub-LT in each week during one of the MLRs and/or do it during the long run. I don't want to phase that component out and the P&D mainly does much shorter sub-LTs (like 4-7 miles). Although there are some good long MP sessions during the long runs. I guess I'm treating what they call MP as well as LT as the same thing (80% until final 6 weeks when it will be 83%).

Chick, nice sub-LT in the wind!

Andi, things are happening for you. Will be interesting to see what pace you'll end up using for the marathon.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Txs VT, though not sure my chosen pace will be anything like the actual paceimage I make myself feel better when reading all your paces by kidding myself your doing 7:13 minute kilometresimage

• JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭
    Brian. wrote (see)

Morning all.

Disappointed to go 67.11 at Otley. Had to walk twice with a stitch. But a good blow out anyway. Back to hadding now for 3 more weeks.

Pretty good time Brian on  a very tough course. The winner was only 55 mins, which while fantastic, is not a normally a time to win a ten miler in.

I did a 77 but pleased with that. Hit MHR twice in the race, once on a big hill and once in the last mile when I was pretty tired. I can assume that is not MHR now (162) not sure what to assume MHR actually is now without doing a test.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Jb, was good to see you albeit fleetingly. Well done at Otley, that is one tough course.

I would add 2 beats on to whatever max you see. No need to do a test. Infact if you felt that otley was run to your potential, take your average in that race as 89% and extrapolate to 100% to derive your max.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Oh forgot to say... spotted DrDan on the canal on friday. Looking good matey!!

• Brian. wrote (see)

Oh forgot to say... spotted DrDan on the canal on friday. Looking good matey!!

Yup, he mentioned the lack of dom's cos you were flyingimage

Johnny, sounds like that was a tough course for all so well done image

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Got roped in to my mates tempo. 10m incl 3m@6.39image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Spen I hope the Welsh 3000s went ok

Chick well done on Friday's subLT

DD good controlled running

Roy a good week's training

VT great subLT again - hope the 15 went ok today

Andiimage LoLimage

JohnnyB nice running at Otley

Brian good run todayimage

---

I was supposed to be doing a 16m long run today but felt lousy, so I struggled through 2 hours then caved.  

Week's stats:  60.6m in 9h00, av. pace 8:55, av. HR 72%maximage 

• Nice running Brian image

Teknik, impressive weekly stats! I was impressed with mine until I saw yoursimage I have my first 16 mile LSR next weekend, it might become a long slow walk mind.

32.84 miles in 6:14, av pace 11.24 av HRR 69%

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Tek, nice volume; you too Andi.

Brian, that'll burn the carbon out of the engineimage!

15 today. First 7 done at 70%; last 8 done from 73 to 79% (got higher as I went). Overall 8:03 m/m HR ave 145 (73%). First part of run I felt sluggish, then loosened up nicely...felt the effort a bit in the last 2 miles or so. I've also been feeling a bit anxious on my longer runs lately...thinking about how far I have left to go...normally I don't ever do that. Might need to switch up the routes a bit.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Good stats teknik and Andi. VT nice quality in your long run.

3rd week of 6 week base completed. Slightly interrupted by a hilly 10 mile race on Wednesday. 6.18hrs @ 72.9% 47.3 miles at 7:50 pace. 3 rest days! So only 4 runs with long run sat am 14.3miles incl parkrun in 23.10

• Great running everyone!  Andi, it sounds like things are really starting to happen for you so hopefully it's just onwards and upwards from here for you!  You'll definitely have to adjust your marathon goal downwards image

Have any of you more experienced Hadd people had any glitches with your training?  My HR is still climbing higher than it has been at slower speeds so I'm back to closer to 11min miles now.  I've allowed my average to go back to 150 to give me some wiggle room. I'm back to the docs this week to check my iron again.  Question is, should I ignore my HR and run at the pace I've been doing well at previously if it is because of low iron or should I drop my pace a lot again and keep to the lower HR?

I was really enjoying what I was doing before and I'm finding this terribly frustrating. Any advice appreciated!!

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Rubbishrunner, I wonder if it's due to the heat? Or not enough sleep? Or just plain too many heavy weeks without a break? Those things have gotten me in the past.

• I usually run early in the morning so heat isn't normally a problem.  Not enough sleep is certainly a possibility!  I had a couple of easier weeks training - had a recovery week  followed by a hillwalk instead of a run the next week so I don't think it's overtraining.

It does seem very quick for iron deficiency, I know.  I can run steadily enough on flat ground but it doesn't stay flat for very long unfortunately!  No cold yet, so I'm guessing that's not it.

I'll give myself another week and see.  I have bloods scheduled anyway for other conditions so I was just going to ask them to check my ferritin while I was there.  Running has helped me get my money's worth from the NHS image