HADD training plan

Comments

• Not posted much recently due to moving house.   Did 18 miles last week.  Started below 75% max hr but ended up at 83%.   Even paced all the way at 8.30 mm,   It did warm up quite a lot in the time I was out so not downhearted.

Not run much with the move and the damn heat.   So just having 5 days off.  Will not do me any harm.

• 2:46 done tonight image and actually managed to keep HR below 140! coming in at 139 image a smidge under 75%. the first 1:40 ish was probably 5 lower than that so still got my cardiac drift image near the end. I do think the cooler temps had a lot to do with it, but what ever it was, I'm pleased image 12.25 mm but was supposed to be 13.0mm just couldnt get that slow again anywhere except hills.

Did feel more tired near the end, but probably still not fully recovered from wednesdays tempo, which was a real cooker temp wise.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sorry, not posted for a while as I've been on holiday...

BeDe that graph was interesting - it really shows how quickly you can go off the boil even after a short injury.  Good post about lactate too - thanksimage. Enjoy your holiday and look forward to August !image

DD nice cross training - hope the legs feel a little better today

VT hope the weather breaks for your long run today.  In answer to your question of about a week ago, I'm fine - most sessions are easy, mileage is building nicely and HR starting to drop again.  I would go and see a physio about the Achilles / heel / calf - can't hurt and they might have a few new stretches to help.

Spen enjoy the few days' rest !

Cheesy well done on the long runimage

Tommy welcome - I agree with DD's estimateimage for your max.  The other thing we need to know is a recent 5k time/pace. 

Brian well done on those last few interval sessions - awesome paces

Andi hope you're enjoying the holiday

Chick well done on that subLT - imagetough going in the heat. 

OK I stupidly took a cut-back week last week, so it was a full training week on the holiday.  It was 36C most days, so that meant a lot of getting up early to get out before the sun killed me, plus a few evening treddie sessions in the air-con. I did a few (short) 200/200 sessions at 6:40mm / 9:39mm and I think it's had a good effect on my cadence.

Did a 19m long run this morning at 72%max average, with a 75% lid, and averaged 8:35mm - so quite a bit quicker than last week. image

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

So on Friday night I went out and started to feel pain on the lower outside of my left knee. I had been feeling a little something there for a few runs...think my LT overdid this part of me. My PT warned me to go easy this week cause I was so rundown/banged up. It feels much better today through. Will rest another day and chalk this past week up as my flex week. Get some treatment on Tuesday and then see how everything is feeling. I've really gotten stuck in the weeds here lately. Haven't given up hope yet though. Worst case, I could run a local marathon here (is 1 week later than the planned marathon)...would give me a little more wiggle room. 

• Evening all, had a great 10 days in France, even nipped through the tunnel to Italy for lunch one day image Was great sitting in 39 degrees with snow all around us! Just the 4 mile run during the holiday and came back to high 20's! Struggled to do 6 miles yesterday (76%) and tried 18 tonight (74%) but struggled even though I went out later - too hot out and cool coming back, I even stopped sweating! Both times were v slow but am blaming the heat and decided HADDing is for cooler times lol.

Picked up a pair of  Brooks Vapor 10's in France (apparrently am now a slight overpronator), they were fine on the shorter runs but my knees and hamstrings ache tonight but that might be because I'd never 'run' that far before?

Oh, 3 weeks to the Mull HM and looking at last years results the sweeper may well 'sweep' me up if I don't finish last but someone has to and I heard the last person home gets the biggest cheerimage

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Nice running, Andy. 39 degrees image

VT: watch those injuries. I'm going to keep you company on the bench. Have picked up a few niggles myself, notably a calf issue. It's different from yours - mine feels like it's going to cramp whenever I get up and take the first step image and there's a dull ache when I run. Not hurting badly, but not right either. I have done more speedwork than is good for me lately image   This week will be easy. Have a P&D LT run scheduled on Wednesday but may drop it if this calf thing doesn't improve.

Tek: great 19 miler image

Dr.Dan wrote (see)

No running today ... legs felt mashed and I need to avoid over-trainingimage. I did bike to/from work and I repeated the last swim session (850m - 400m warm-up, then 9 x 50m intervals).

Hope your legs feel better, Dr. D.

Last hard sesh for me was yesterday - 16 with 10 @ MP image  Got up at 4am, had a banana and a coffee and left around 5am. It was OK for about 40mins, then the sun came up and it got hot. Decided I was going to run by HR rather than try any stupidly fast MP. Ended up with 7:47 pace @ 81%. Took about 3 miles or so to get my HR up and those miles felt super tough. Once I had the HR around 78-80% I felt good. Very little drift over the next 5 miles or so. But then the heat got me and the final miles saw HR climb steadily to about 87% image 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

VT - Take care!!!image

Tek - Fantastic long run!image

Chick - 16 with 10 at MP deserves a large beer!image

Andi - welcome back.

I confounded my cut-back week by also missing my long run yesterday - I'd planned to escape during a family trip to Holmfirth junior triathlon (lots of hanging around between registration and the actual races) for a 10M hike up to Holme Moss/Woodhead Pass (a cat 2 climb that will feature in next years TdF) ... but time went against meimage. Meanwhile, my daughter did her first junior triimage ... and my son had a bike crash in the youth eventimage ... but got back on and came 4th (fastest in the run stage)image.

So, only 17 miles running for the week but 51 miles bike and 1 mile in the pool. I did the parkrun on Saturday, as I thought a good blow-out was in order to sharpen me up for next week's triathlon - I managed 20:50 (6:42/m) at 89% max HR (6 bpm below my 19:34 PB from 2 years ago).

• Teknik wrote (see)

Sorry, not posted for a while as I've been on holiday...

Tommy welcome - I agree with DD's estimateimage for your max.  The other thing we need to know is a recent 5k time/pace. 

Erm...I have only run a couple of competitive 5k races awhile ago too.. I think 2011 best 5k was 22mins.

Should have my first few run data later this week..

• Tommy add 3 mins to the 5k pace which is about 7 min miles.    So run at 10 min miles.  

• Thanks Spen

Tthat sounds about right re the pacing although as I have had so much time off I am thinking nearer the 11min/mile to start with untill my fittness and wieght get back to pre injury shape.

• Yes Chick, was hot! but why doesn't the snow/ice melt? and yes, take things easy and drop the LT if your not feeling 100%. Got up at 4am? I'd only just gone to bed lol

Txs Dr Dan and good to be back in the fold image Sounds like the Dan Family could create a mini tri teamimage

Tommy, welcome back, it would be interesting to see your earlier 5k race stats along with the new ones when you have them image

Do you ever have those runs when you know you shouldn't have gone out? Drove to the Mishnish Lochs this afternoon (just 2 miles away) and had to nip back for my HRM strap, then, started my watch and zilch, nadder, nuffin - forgot to charge it after the 18 miler so ended up running nekid (Garmin nekid of course). 

Then to finish the run off I had a fag sat on the side of the road. i got in the car and noticed 3 small scratches on my right middle finger and brushed the small amount of blood away. When I got home the middle finger was a bit swollen but when I got out of the shower the sweeling was across 3 of my knuckles image I spotted a doctor shutting the surgery and ran over to show her, she gave me some antihistamines and told me to get in touch if the swelling got worse.

Well, it did and sent a pic to a friend of mine who just happened to be having dinner with a couple of nurses from the surgery and a guy known for his 40 years of Mull 'life' experience - he said Adder bite! He scared me and google images looked just like my hand so after some persuassion was driven to hospital to be put in a sling, given antibioticsand be told it's a bug bite not an Adder bite. This made me feel better but more people have said the little scratches and swelling make them think it is an Adder bite. 

Watch this space and if I don't return I guess it was an Adder!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

VT take care ! image

Andi welcome back and jesus !! ouch!!

Chick that's a hard long run - not surprised you drifted at the end given the heat and the 6 warm-up miles.image

DD congrats to your two junior athletes, and nice Parkrun.image

Tommy good thinkingimage

Spen hope you're ok

SubLT for me today. I thought the rain would make it cooler but it was still very muggy at 7am when I went out. 1m w/up then 8.5m at MaraHR - came out as 7:59mm, flattened out at 1 beat over 83%, so slightly disappointed given the improvement in other training paces.  Still, 14 weeks to go, so patience required.image

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Well, got 6 pain free miles in last night but today the knee got sore within the 1st mile and by 3 miles I bagged it. My PT confirmed IT band issues. Not quite sure how to proceed. Guess I'll just (foam) roll the hell out of it and stretch it a lot and try again in a few days.

The P&D plan seems to have broken me down on many levels, but this knee thing has been the only issue I don't feel I can run through. When it starts to hurt, it just plain hurts.

My target marathon is 11 or 12 weeks away (Oct. 6). Not sure if I'll be able to make it. Will just have to see how I respond.

Chick, hope you are feeling better. Hope you bounce back quickly.

Andi, take it easy there buddy. Hope you feel better too.

Tek...nice steady miles again. Improvement will certainly come.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

VT - bad luck. image I had IT-band knee issues back when I started and it was so frustrating. I found that switching from heel- to fore-foot striking sorted it out as it took the pressure/rubbing away from the hot-spot.

Tek - slowly slowly catch the monkey.

Bike commute and 5.3M on Monday and 2 x 5M double run-commute yesterday. Back on the bike today and hoping to get in a swim. EDIT: swim done: 400m front crawl in 9 min and then 8 x 50m intervals with 30s recoveries at 1 min per 50m pace.

I have a place at Abingdon marathon on Oct 20th image ... after having to give up my Chester marathon for the 6th, I thought it would be Leicester on 13th but managed to officially swap a number for Abo.image

• Txs Teknic. I'd love to be able to run sub 8 min miles @83% and doubt the day would ever come where I'm not over the moon with that sort of timeimage Would you say 83% is a decent average for a HM? I have one in just under 3 weeks and was planning on just doing it as a LSR but it looks like the sweeper will pick me up well before the finish at my planned pace lol.

Cheers VT, have decided I won't be sitting in the grass for my post run fag any time soon. Fingers crossed you get the knee sorted, it would be a shame to miss the mara after all your hard work image

Dr Dan, well done on the doubler at either end of a days work! I keep thinking about them but something always crops up. 

Well, 2 of my knuckles have reappeared so the swelling is going down on my hand but seems to be creeping up past my wrist. I'll keep taking the tablets and hope things get better soon (it's getting very itchy). 6.3 easy miles today and managed to keep my avg HR down to 73% (11:40mm) in the heat. 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Andi I would say 83% is a decent average for a half - I just looked up my stats for my PB in March and that's what I hit, on fairly even splits.  I do suffer from bad drift, though, so "average" is a bit misleading - last mile was 91% and the sprint finish was 94%.  Fitter runners would have a flatter graph and higher average %. Good luck with the bite.

VT ice, roller, stretches. ITB is a bugger and you've really got to nurse it.  There are a bunch of good stretches on Youtube that are worth looking into.

DD nice training and congrats on bagging an Abo place ! image

Had a bit of fun last night running my first ever 3k.  Course was a crumbly and rutted gravel path around the park.  Managed 3:58 per k , or 6:23 per mile, but didn't get a sub-12 as the course was long by 80 metres.image Still, it's a PB...image. Then a hot, sweaty and hilly 14m MLR this morning - avg.70% max with a few bad spikes over 75%. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nice 3080m racing Teknik ... and good follow up run! image

Andi my HM PB was run at 6:53/m and 88% maxHR and a month later I ran 6:47/m at 88% maxHR for a 10M PB. My 83% sub-LT pace has generally been around 7:15/m when race fit.

Bike commute PB this morning ... by a minute!image Largely due to hammering the hill  at the end ... a good confidence boost before Sunday's triimage. Last bike ride this evening but I'm also going to squeeze in 5+ easy miles today and tomorrow.

• Phew its hot.   Some good training going on.

Day 4 of Loch Ness marathon training 11 miles at 9 min a mile ,HR at 117BPM = 73%

Will have to introduce two 80-85% runs a week, as have only 9 weeks left, and after doing one on Tuesday, the fade off was lets say ( a lot ) over one hour.

Andi I find the running shoes are more expensive in France but the Kit is much cheaper.

• Txs for the info Teknic & Dr.Dan image I have a feeling my HR will do more than 'creep' up. well done of the ubber fast bike commute, you'll soon be faster than going by car lol.

Well done on the 3k Teknic, I'd train for something like that but imagine it could be as painful as training for a marathon?

Roy, why did you start training so late? and be careful you don't overdo things now and injure yourself! Yup, your correct, my Brooks Vapor 10's were 110 Euro but as they were a(nother) birthday Present I couldn't refuse (could I?).

An easy 6 miles in light rain today (bliss) 8 secs/mile faster than planned MP and 73% of MAX. Roy, you'll probably have time to go to your hotel and shower/change then watch me cross the lineimage

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

So foam rolling your IT band is excruciatingly painfulimage. I'm armed with my roller, stretches, and some strengthening exercises. I'll make lemonade. Get stronger and try to conservatively work back to solid running again. Want to protect what I have (nod to Brian) and come back strong. I could always run a marathon later in the season (might have to travel a bit to do it, but that might be OK). Main thing is I want to avoid a prolonged layoff. In addition to strength/stretching, I'll probably do some xtraining (biking, elliptical, fast walking on 15% incline dreadmill, pool running, etc) too. I made huge gains so far this year and want to continue onward. A race is a test, but just one stop on my journey.

OK, done trying to be profoundimage

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageProfoundly profound!image 

ITBS is a bitch ... one of those injuries you think you've dropped ... until you run and realise it's still lurking. Sounds like you have a plan though!image

Andi ... cycling to work is faster than driving.

What's the mara training plan Roy?

As planned, I squeezed in a 5.35M run last night and then another 5.35M this morning. Not cycling today, so I have a full 48 hours to rest/recover for the tri ...

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

very profound indeed, VT image
    Sorry to hear about your IT band issues. I can only begin to imagine how annoying this must be. Hope you can foam-roller it into submission.

Andi: Adder bite/nasty insect bite -- goodness image  But you know smoking is real bad, in more ways than oneimage I would concur with Dr. D. in saying that 88% is viable in a HM. 83% would be more like marathon HR when proper race fit. I'm nowhere near image

Tek: wow, fast 3k there! Excellent stuff.

A week of zero speed work and lots of TLC has cured the niggles. I just do what I feel like doing this week which is great.
    Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 9 miles (8:48, 69%)
    Wednesday: 14 miles, ran into work (8:38, 68%)
    Thursday: 8 miles (8:28, 69%)
    Today: 3 miles (naked run)

No sub-LT this week. Mon-Wed next week are supposed to be cooler so hopefully I can get some decent running in.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Dr Dan: good luck triing image

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Chick ... very nice pace for sub-70%! And I know it's been hot ... but naked running! imageimage

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

that's why I run first thing in the morning:  no-one about image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

DD well done on the commute PB image , well done on the runs and good luck for Sunday's Triimage

Roy nice 11 miler.  Keep plugging at the subLTs...

Andi good easy run in the rain.  I like the short fast runs but they aren't much help in getting round a marathon...

VT I'm a big fan of pool running when injured

Chick that was a good week, and glad you shook the niggles - like Dan said, that's a great set of sub70 paces image

5.5m recovery at 68% then 90 mins hot yoga for me

• LSR was 18 miles, 3:53 @12:57, hr average was 144. image

Still the same hilly route, and I am fairly convinced that I simply cant run slow enough to keep the HR ave any lower with it hot. For the first 8 or so miles it was ok, sub 140 for the main part, but once it went up a little, it wouldnt come down except when walking.

Should I just keep at it as I am? or should I try harder to go even slower?

The odd thing is, when I pace my partner, who has short legs and is naturaly slow (we are looking at 15 - 16 mm) I go her speed with little trouble, but I really cant seem to manage that on my own. And she cant do the distance I want. My sunday VEasy runs with her are around 1:45 - 2:00 so very useful.

There are some nice runs being done by you all! I am in awe of the fast runs at low HR's! I can only dream of that. good going all.

• VT, I like your profoundnessimage Sounds like you need to look after yourself but not push things for a while. Running is easy but continuing to run uninjured is the hard part (not exactly as profound but you get my drift lol).

Dr Dan, I cycled to work for a while, not quite as fast as driving but faster than the bus and quickly learnt to become an 'aggresive' cyclist and wouldn't cycle in the gutter. good luck with the Tri and look forward to a 'full' review.

Yes Chick, I know smoking is bad for me but it's been a habit I've only broken a few times in the last 45 years! (started very young lol). As for the 'Adder' bite, my hand is back to normal size and well happy now.  I even had a message from a French Vet today asking for more pictures - my hand is famous lol. Oh, will refrain from commenting on the nekid running!

Teknik, I know what you mean about the short fast runs but 8 secs/mile faster than mp is only 11:08 so not exactly fast here and shall try and concentrate on reducing my HR in runs. I still smirk when I see 'hot yoga' in your activitiesimage

CheesyRider (can I call you CR?). I said the other day we seem to be at the same 'level', I did 18 miles last week in 3:55 with HR of 139 (73.8%). Do we run similar 'hilly' routes? mine was 523 metres according to Garmin Connect. I too struggle to keep HR down after hills but am finding I can (sort of) run/jog up most of them now and its just the LSR's that have lots of walk breaks image

My planned 10 miler was cut short this afternoon as I felt hungry after the first mile and took a toilet break around 3.5 miles and 'saw' I was dehydrated (TMI?) managed just shy of 7 miles @73%. Mull HM is 11th August so going to try hm distance again this weekend then a 20 miler next and have an easy(ish) week before the race though currently planning to run it easy and prepared to rip my number off if the sweeper casts his (or her) netimage

• Andi: CR, Cheesey, I answer to anything! Yeah we do seem to be at similar levels, my average yesterday was 77% (186 mhr) so you are up on me there by some way! The climb was 1214ft total. Some of the hills are short sharp inclines, others long and varying levels of steepness. The longest I call kilometer hill (guess why....) and is quite steep in places, although my route only shows it is a 132ft climb in that distance. It sure seems a lot more! That one I drop down to around 14:00 with very short steps and just get into a rythm to get up it. If I manage to keep slow, I can keep HR below 152 ish, just. But again, when I run with Roni, I stay much lower, but cant manage the same on my own yet! I can only describe running with her to be like running on the spot with small forward movement! I also do all this with a light backpack on BTW, usually 3 bottles water and other stuff, I need to keep used to wearing it, so do all my training runs with it on too. I dont think that helps much sometimes, but its a vital part for me.

Your managing 73.8% which is pretty good! I have been trying not to walk in the first 75% of LSR's, which I do find quite hard in this heat, but it does seem to be working, as even yesterday, it was 13 miles before I really had to walk up one of the short steep hills. Is your route Trail or road? Mines mainly compacted rough trail at Bedgebury, or for a break I go around Bewl (live nearby). I have been wondering about finding a less hilly route, even road (which I dont like running on at all) just for the sake of seeing how my HR performs on the flat easier section. Worth trying do you think?

• CR, I guess your HR% is higher cos you continue running? I take walk breaks and have just started giving myself penalty walks if my HR hits 80%. The penalty is to walk until it's back down to 70-72% so I start slowing down more and more to try and stay under (however, am pretty sure walking is oft faster than my attempt at running lol).

I like the name of your nemisisimage Shall call mine 2 mile hill then, it goes up (and of course down) 400 feet in a shade under 2 miles but does have a couple of plateaus though I find I walk lots of it and it's quite a twisty single track road. Is is easy to get your bottles out of the backpack? I have a 2ltr Camelbak and getting used to it for longer runs now.

I have about 6 routes I usualy run, 1 has a 3 mile stretch of 'proper' road (it has a white line in the middle lol) and the rest of the roads are single track with a choice of a couple of trail runs and all vary between undulating and hilly (no flat runs unless I drive 10+ miles). Yup, if your planning on a road race I think you should spend time in the black stuffimage

My second 13.1 miles in training today and smashed my previous time by 10:30! ok, still took 2:36:57 but am happier now and 73.4% on a hot day with a 1244ft incline will do me (for now).

I've managed 5 outings so far this week with just 1 day off with my hand and will try to get out tomorrow for a 7 miler and a total of 43 miles and my furthest in a week.