HADD training plan

Comments

• Thanks for the positive comments, guys!

Mace, as you collapse on the road, check your HR; that'll be your max image
    I've only maxed out once; I went dizzy and a little sick and felt faint and had to stick my head between my legs while my vision cleared...it's not a nice thing to do...

• I love the backing behind it, something i'm definitely going to do. I'm not in any particular hurry to do a marathon, I've not committed to anything, so i guess i have all the time in the world to carry out the HADD's training!

Thanks Laureate33, it's never going to be over though!

Thanks Crash, like I said, there's no time limit for me. Just gonna keep going till i feel i'm fast enough to enter something. I want my own personal times before i feel i'm ready to go enter a HM or FM.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    The art of the maxHR test is to get to above 95% maxHR and still have enough in the tank to push onwards for several more minutes at max effort. Too much too soon and your big effort comes too early (and then you're too knackered to continue)  ... too much time spent in the build up and you're too knackered to make that final big push.
  • macemace ✭✭✭

BN74 - i do happen to have a hill very close to me which is that length , quite gentle then gradually getting steeper. Would you suggest 90 secs rest before the final 2 runs all out ?

CH - the hill i refer to above has had the same affect on me in the past in my " pre-HADD" run as fast as you can days !! It's right at the end of my normal run and i always dread it.

Dr.Dan - that's my line of thinking, the problem is if you don't know your max you don't know where 95% is.

• Mace... The jog down is your rest.... Just class this as the worst thing your ever going to do, and everything after this is easy....

The most important part of this is your warm-up, a hard session like this can do damage... 

• macemace ✭✭✭

Well, i took your advice BN74 , thanks very much for that.

My max test went like this :

5min stretch 

25min light jog warm up ( HR was around 127-130bpm )

1st hill run - HR at top of hill 160bpm

2nd run - 162

3rd run - 163

4th run - 164

5th run ( all out ) - 171

6th run ( all out ) - 173

At this point i'm pretty done in but could probably have gone again and may have seen another 2bpm increment. That would have been my lot though so i'm going to use 175 as my max. At age 45 this fits neatly with the estimation method of (220 - age) bpm.

So, my plan for now is to build up my mileage at 70-75% of 175 , so between 123 - 131 bpm. If my warm up jog is anything to go by, i'm hopeful that this isn't going to be too frustrating to start with....

Thanks again for all advice

• Mace... Most people's problem when starting HADD, is keeping their HR low enough..... It's not a concern if your HR ends up being slightly higher in the first couple of weeks. because it will come down.....

• Am just going to put my head in as I have decided to spend a few weeks in the gap between the winter season and the summer season (can't believe there's only a few race free weeks) trying to work on my aerobic capability.  I've read the HADD stuff I've downloaded from a link somewhere on this site and understand the theory of running long and slow to build oxygen transfer capability (I don't think I can spell mitochondria and capillary at this time in the morning!), but I don't have the hours it looks like it takes to do it exactly as laid out.  However, I have decided to set aside as much time as I can and my initial aim is to run 5 times a week for an hour minimum at 70% WHR (approx).  I've previously measured my max HR at 194 and that's stood the test of time.  I'm still finding it a struggle to keep my HR low enough - running at 10m/m pace and slower is tedious, but I'm hoping this will get easier as I improve.  From what I've read (and I've not gone back far I'm afraid) that seems to be the same struggle, so it's good to also read that it will get better.  I'll let you know how I get on........
  • Impish if you can do what your doing and maybe do a long run of 2 hours on a weekend you will not be far off.   Also 10 min miles is what im at when doing it.
  • Well this is my 6th week of easy running.   Not really used the HR strap much but when I have the pace has always been about 10 min miles.   From next week I will be using the HR monitor all the time to really squeeze from the bottom.   Hoping to run at 129-133 for the slow runs.

I am also going to introduce a 50 min fast run at 148-152 and increase this each week. 

Hoping to keep upping the milage to about 70 miles per week over the next 6 months,

• spen71,

not sure I would increase each week, more wait for your pace to become consistent before moving up, seems like you got lots of time.

I have been running 80% runs for about 5 weeks and have not seen any real improvement but I had 8/9 days with a head cold in the middle of that, so just plugging away at the mo.

Where I have seen an improvement is in my easy/recovery runs, my HR has gone from 115 to 107 ave for the same pace/time over the same distance.

• Thanks Roy I mean increase the time running.
  • macemace ✭✭✭

Quick update on my very enjoyable run last night, first time since i did my max test ( 175 bpm )

90mins

Ave pace 11.30 m/mile

Ave 124bpm ( 71% )

A couple of times i edged up to around 135bpm running up hills

I'm in no rush , so i think i'll plod along  for a couple of months like this and see where it gets me ....

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Good start Mace.  Don't worry about pace at this stage, just relax and enjoy running for time and HR.
  • Guy's, thread has been quiet recently, which must mean you've all binned HADD training and moved over to the "Barefoot running" or "Backward running" thread's....  There's also the possibility that your all getting ready for those big marathon's coming up over the next few weeks, but I find that highly unlikely...

So guy's, good luck with whatever discipline you've choosen, and don't be strangers..... 

• Im still here BN.   Did Blackpool marathon in a PB of 3:51:15, so it must be working.   Really easy week this week then start to include the faster running.
  • Great News Spen.... Listen to the body, there's no rush to get back into the heavy stuff... Have known people take a few weeks off after a marathon...

Again Great News....

• I am training for an ultra so as long as I run slow I am ok.   Legs have held up pretty well so far

• Hi BN / Spen - I was thinking the same that the 'ol HADD Thread had gone a bit quiet. I had a bad loss of running Mojo last week just couldn't be ars*d to get off the sofa and go out running image I went out twice last week a hilly 13 miler and 10 around a lake / country park at 11 M/M pace. I seem to have lost about 45 secs mile pace over the last two weeks so in terms of HADD progress I feel like I am "Backward running" - lol

Monday is always a rest day so gonna make sure I get out there again tomorrow and my goal is to run 5 days this week. I am going to take Brian's advice and just enjoying running for Time/HR.

Probably a bit frustrated with my lack of progress over the past couple of weeks (if I'm honest) after gaining nearly 1 min of pace in a week a few weeks back. Trying to keep the faith and remember the words of John Walsh himself from one of the "let's run" threads

"Always protect what you've got before you reach for more. "

Congrats on the sub < 4HR Marathon by the way Spen.
  • Still plugging away.slow,slow quick, slow slow quick even slower.
  • Second week of completing 50miles.

8m every day Mon-Fri then a rest on Sat and 10m on Sun.

No progress - which is frustrating. 10 days ago was averaging 11:30min/miles at 138bpm (72%).... the last two days have been 139bpm and 12min/miles.

Annoying. But will keep plodding. A month ago I couldn't keep my HR under 150 running 13min/miles so it's progress of sorts. Maybe you need a few paces backwards to keep going forwards?

Glad other folk are improving. Keep it up.
    Gus
  • Gus said [ a few paces backwards to keep going forwards]

It seems that way to me also.

All my eggs in the one HADD basket . .

• I'm in week 8 so all my eggs are in the same trolley as Roy image I didn't expected my progress to be linear so will just have to live with the slight loss of pace until it comes back. Gonna get the miles in this week as I had been averaging 40-45 and let the pace sort itself out in good time.

Gus - a quick question are you running the same 8 mile route every day ?? Reason for asking is that you may see better progress by mixing it up a bit as your body will get used to plodding out the same 8 miles at the same pace.

• Guys, I know how fustrating it can be... Improvements seem to come unexpectedly, and in huge chunks, had one a couple of weeks back, very surprise and delight.... But try and stick with it, and if you decide to bin it in a couple of weeks time, then at least you've got a base to work from....

Gus, I was a bit like you on six day training, upped a couple of my run's and took a extra day off... Made a big difference... Rest day's are just as important as your training day's....

Simon, I seem to lose my mojo every couple of weeks.... Or is it our body's telling us we need a rest, probaly more than likely....

One thing I've noticed over the last week or so, is my HR is roughly 6/7 beats higher due to the slightly warmer weather, which then effects my run.... Do you guy's check your start off HR, may be your training in a shorter window, which will effect your running... Just a idea...

• The way I am looking at this is that I want to do do a good aerobic base anyway as my step up from half to full marathon was miles off down to my aerobic capacity not being good,  That seems to be imroving so even if  months down the line this has not worked as claimed my aerobic capacity should be much better.
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Spen, Well done on another marathon. Good luck with the ultra stuff.

Nothing drastic to report. Had a dodgy week last week having been full of cold. But finished off with a long run of 22.4 miles. Hull 20 on Sunday - aim to run it at marathon HR. 

• Good luck with that on Sunday Brian.... I'll stick with the parkrun Saturday, then there's a assortment of 10k's coming up over the next few month's... Still chasing a sub 40, which isn't to daunting, as PB down to 41min, from 44min pre HADD in November......
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Bluenose, Are you chasing the 10k time off Hadd training only? My guess is that if you've got down to 41mins with just Hadd, you have plenty more scope for 10k improvement.

Best (and simplest) 10k training I found was from Greg MacMillan

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19553

• HADD has given me a decent base, which I never had last year.... Plus I try and done some of the session's off his (HADD) 5k to HM training plan.... On the whole very happy, took 3mins off 10k in the first 4 months.... If I take another 1.5min off over the next 4 months, it'll be fantastic... All at the age of 51...

Cheers for the advice and will give link a look...... 

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Aaaah! Your a dodger like me.