HADD training plan

Comments

• BD2000 ...  stick with it. Patience is key. image

Brian -  I am indeed a fetchie (in fact FERC is my first claim club) but need a new car as the plan was to take the family and visit a relative or two on the way to/from the race (a 1pm start time is very convenient!) ...  I'm not sure my 1-day-pass included escaping on my own image! But all being well I'm looking at a car on Thursday, so expect to be okayimage.

• Been away for a while , injury mostly but back again and back on the HADD trail.

I have blogged a bit about where I have been at but it also includes a good set of comments from a certain prominent member of this thread.

Looking to catch up with the thread again  - all 59 pages -who would have thought it would grow so big.

• Fellas (and Chickadee),

Happy to report that I have now completed my 4th run since the injury. 1st run was 5 minutes; second run was 1.25 miles; 3rd run was 2.75 miles, and today I did 3 miles. So far, so good. I'm not completely recovered, but am able to do some running which is much better than not running. It's looking like a long, slow road back but it feels great to be doing something again.

That said, to you healthy runners, I wouldn't recommend 8 weeks off image. Funny how the first couple of runs I was wondering why everything felt so strange...today though my rhythm was back, my HR wasn't too bad, and I didn't go as slow as I feared.

It turns out my hips are somewhat misaligned. My left hip is weaker than the right. I think I was letting the right hip do more work and that is likely why I tore a muscle on that side. Overall, have learned that it isn't always as easy as just running a lot. I need to be more balanced with my core work, strength training, and flexibility too. Think I need a coach to say "WTF are you thinking" every now and againimage.

Dr. Dan, I think you'll be cool considering the long runs were done and you also raced a couple of times. Life getting in the way may have helped a bit, not just interrupted.

• VTrunner wrote (see)
    Dr. Dan, I think you'll be cool considering the long runs were done and you also raced a couple of times. Life getting in the way may have helped a bit, not just interrupted.

Great news on the recovery!image ... just take it slowly.

When I look at my long runs and the two 5Ks, I think ... "I'll be okay" ... when I look at my weekly mileage totals over the past 6 weeks, I think "Oh s**t!" image. I really need to race the Lake Vynrwy HM on Sunday to see where I am.

• JohnnyBike  - you recently replied to me via e-mail from your blog (4 Sept) - good to see you on this thread. I'd found your blog first - then found this thread. Same age - so be good to compare HADD training as I've just started this week.

Target time for HM in March (Silverstone) is 8.55 m/m (2 hrs) - currently on 71% - 74% MaxHR which results in 11.00 m/m so seems like my 'easy' runs are slotting in right where they should be (unless anyone thinks there is not enough time to get to 8.55 m/m by March)

First 3 weeks plan look ike this:

/members/images/706882/Gallery/HADD_wks1_-_3.png

I'll keep this updated now and then.

• Hi BD2000, i like your spreadsheet. Youi have a high MHR for a 55yo. I can never work out if that is a good or bad thing.In one way I can see it being good as you have more range to work from and you can pump more blood/oxygen in a minute than I can, the other way is that your heart has to work  much harder tthan mine to deliver the same blood/oxygen.

Last night 10K  - AHR 127 55:04 Target was an AHR of 126 so not too bad. MHR was 136 but I got it down again quickly as I do a lot of my HADD training on a treadmill as I find it much easier to control everything

• JohnnyBike, Great to have the thread owner back. Good luck with the Hadding.

• Good to see you back JB.image

Lake Vynrwy HM yesterday ... 94:30 unofficial, which is still 4:24 off my PB ... bnot surprising given my up-and-down training. Over cooked it in the first half by tagging onto a sub-90 train but I'd have struggled to beat 93 even if I'd paced it perfectly. Good workout though and it tells me where I am for Chester in 4 weeks.

• Good result DR D, Chester looks very promising.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Well, that's about 6 months of HADD in the bag.

March = 10-15M per week @ 11:30ish @ 72% HRav

I'm now at around 40M per week and this morning i did 7M in driving wind and rain @ 70% HRav @ 9:05m/m. The last uphill mile i virtually skipped up it image @ 9:50 @ 72% when back in March i was struggling to keep below 75% @ 12:30m/m.

I can feel the LSRs are paying off.

• macemace ✭✭✭

JohnnyBike - indeed, a big WELCOME back !!!

• JohnnyBike - Heart Rate was taken November 2011 (53 by the way, but I guess that doesn't make much difference). Recently had ECG - all clear and doc said that blood pressure was low (no specifics results given to me). Could do another test but not sure it would have changed much in 10 months? It may have as I've done  500 miles under the belt since then? Any thoughts - don't want to get injury doing max HR test.

OK - just finished week 1 and here are the results. As everyone has said it is difficult at first to keep the pace down and I still have to put the ocassional 30sec walk in to keep HR down. What was amazing is that I did 3 days on the run without feeling any tightness at all so I know the pace is OK. I know 3 days on the run is nothing to experienced people but it is a milestone for me without feeling like I need a rest day. It feels like I could run every day at this pace (I guess thats the idea!).

Wk 1 target was 16 miles was reached and my max average HR was 73%. As soon as I see the HR go above 135 (74%) I drop the pace and get the HR back down to below 130. So when I look at a graph of my HR it is still looking like a mountain range - I guess what I'm aiming for it to look like are a series of gentle hills.image

/members/images/706882/Gallery/HADD_Week_1.png

Dr Dan - I can only dream of that kind of pace and I'm not sure I'll ever get there! My aim is for sub 2hrs in March for a Silverstone which I'm pretty sure I can achieve. Despite not PB must have been fantastic to run in that kind of scenery image

• mace... image great progressimage.

BD2000 ... see mace's progress above? That'll be you too. image

• mace - brilliant image - as Dr.Dan says it looks like I'm at roughly the same level that you were at 6 mths ago. My av pace @ 71%HRav is 11:23 and I'm doing about 15-17 miles per week.

VERY encouraging for us HADD newbies image

Q: Have you been on the Base Phase for the whole 6 mths or during that period or did you move up to some higher HR training within that period?

• macemace ✭✭✭
    BD - I was building base until mid July and around that time I started some sub LT 80% stuff once I was up to about 70 mins with minimal cardiac drift and I've been doing one of them runs a week since. At first I was getting a few niggles with the increased pace & mileage so I checked it a bit and took things slowly and all was fine after.

I have my first race which is the Folkestone half on 30 sept and after that I expect I'll do another 6-12 weeks of base work until I start a plan around xmas time for Brighton Marthon next April.
  • DrDan, Good solid HM. Looking very good for Chester.

Mace, Text book Hadding has paid off. BIG pat on the back for you. Keep doing the right things and don't get too carried away.

BD2000, Keep the faith - exciting times ahead for you. Please post your progress. Hopefully you will keep us all motivated.

My HM training is well on track. Did the Vets Road Relay on Sunday, amounted to 2.78 miles @ 5:57 pace. Well chuffed!

• macemace ✭✭✭

Dan - just had time to read back a bit, nice HM considering your training.

Brian - sounds like you sprouted wings for the relay, admirable stuff !! And thanks for your advice/support over the months, it helps hugely to get a guiding hand now and again and to know you're heading in the right direction. Good luck with your race and glad to hear the training's on track.

Last sub-LT session before 30-Sept HM this morning. Been feeling comfortable with these sessions for the last 2 or 3 weeks now and i've been nudging the HR up slightly with each run. Today i managed 11M total with sub LT section of 9.1M @ 83%HRav @ 7:40m/m ( so pretty much 90mins with 70mins @ sub LT )

Basically, Brian, i sort of trialled your advice for the HM which was to run 4M @ 75%-80%, 4M @ 85% , 5M as i feel ( prob 90% ish ). This meant i was pushing the HRav up about 3bpm on what i've been doing recently.

For the last couple of miles i was touching 85% and i felt ok and am confident i could have gone the distance. Started to feel it a tad in the quads on the slight uphill sections but other than that was fine. How much more i could push myself i have no idea !!

Bottom line though is that i'm feeling quietly confident.

• mace / Brian - like the idea of splitting the HM into HRav sections. First HM I did earlier this year I managed a negative split - but more by luck than planning. I'll definitely be introducing that to my race next year.

With regards keeping the faith - I'm thereimage. The inspiration is coming from reading this thread and what could be achieved with HADD.

• First sub-LT session for 2 months today - time flies image!! 9.6 mi with 8.3 of them at ILTHR ....  7:13/m average pace /144 bpm - average HR (81% maxHR) ... the 8.3 section was 8 laps of the park...

7:14/m 139 bpm
    7:01/m 143 bpm
    7:09/m 144 bpm
    7:13/m 145 bpm
    7:16/m 145 bpm
    7:15/m 146 bpm
    7:18/m 146 bpm
    7:16/m 146 bpm

Happy with how easy it felt and was even tempted to do 2 more laps ... but thankfully I didn't ... after last Sunday's HM it's better to be safe ... and I need to do a quality 22-24 miles on Sunday as my last long run before taper.

• mace, ta no probs. That sub-lt session should give you heaps of confidence. You are well prepared for the HM and I'm sure you'll nail it.

BD2000, Nothing wrong with negative splitting. Much better than the other way round. As you get more confidence in the race distance, you will be more inclined to pace it evenly.

DrDan, Nice sub-lt run. Good luck with your last long run. It appears that you have come off the HM with no lasting effects. Taper madness beckons...image

• mace wrote (see)
    mace wrote (see)

6 months of HADD in the bag.

March = 10-15M per week @ 11:30ish @ 72% HRav

I'm now at around 40M per week and this morning i did 7M in driving wind and rain @ 70% HRav @ 9:05m/m. 

That decribes the benefits of HADD perfectly. Increase  your distance quite significantly  - 300% in your case and see pace drop by 2m/m+. It really gets you in great shape for start of FM training

• Well here we are again - my weekly update.

An actual drop in mileage (due to personal commitments) and the pace was worse. Having said that the last run on Friday was in Cornwall where it was very hilly so I'm not too bothered but I do need to keep an eye on the weekly mileage. Also felt a little tight while on the next run after my 70 min run. Perhaps an indication I need a rest day after the long run. Again personal commitments meant I was squashing everything in to the middle of the week. So week 2 nothing much to report except a drop in in mileage and in pace. Here are the stats:

/members/images/706882/Gallery/HADD_wk1_&_2_0.jpg

• Can anyone actually see that image?

• OK - doesn't want to show so here it is manually for week 2;

Day 1: 11:35 / 126bpm / 69% / 3.05m

Day 2: 11:42 / 132bpm / 72% / 5.96m

Day 3: 11:32 / 125bpm / 68% / 3.11m

Day 4: 12:07 / 130bpm / 71% / 3.42m

Overall mileage 15.5 / av pace 11:44 / avHR 70%

• BD2000 ... good HR/pace discipline. Hopefully you'll be able to start to increase the time on your feet.image

24.3 mile run for me yesterday ... a slow/easy HM first, then 10 miles at 7:50/m, and then a slow 1+ mile jog home. Really really glad to have that one done ... as well as being physically hard, I find the mental side of setting out on a 3-4 hour solo run is pretty tough (even more so this time as the first 3 miles were before sun-rise on a canal towpathimage). But I was actually looking forward to getting to the 13.1 mile stage so I could get on with the mara pace section. And after 70 miles within a 7-day period, it was good to finish the run strongly.image

So, that's an 18, 20, 20, 23 and 24 long run series, two hilly ones and three with a progressive ending ... time to back off now and concentrate on some lower volume mara race pace work. image

• DrDan, That's a quality long run. Must give you a great deal of confidence. I can't remember going beyond 22/23 in training.

Quality session for me at lunchtime:

10mins(3), 8(3), 6(2), 4(2), 3(1), 2(1), 1min.