HADD training plan

Comments

• ok, so the suggestion being that my actual maxHR is possibly higher than 186, meaning that my 148avg would be a lower %age of the max. That would certainly make sense if the effort level is anything to go by.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

AgentGinger, Give us some background information please.

• Sorry, yes, some bio: I'm 34year old, male, 5'10'', 71kg. Only started running when i was 30, ran a few 10ks and a couple of HMs and a Marathon (brighton 2010). None of my times were particularly impressive and my "training" was very haphazard (basically running 5k about 3 times per week as fast as possible, and not really finding that I was getting any faster. PB 24:05).

For what it's worth PB for 10k = 0:55:00, HM = 2:00 and Marathon = 5:08

started running again in August with the intention of doing it "properly" this time, which means with consistency, and I think what needs most immediate attention is my aerobic fitness.

I like the idea of running around 70 - 75% MHR (which is what the HADD article seemed to suggest), and so at a comfortable pace below lactate threshold to ensure all the effort is aerobic and not anaerobic, which I guess is what most of my previous running has been, and why i'm still aerobically unfit.

However, assuming my MaxHR is "somewhere" in the region of 185-190 that would put a 70-70% run at 133-142 bpm, which I've recently demonstrated is almost impossible as my slowest possible jog still has my HR around 150. So I guess I'm asking whether continuing to run at this effort level, even given the higher than optimum HR, is going to encourage the same adaptations mentioned in the Hadd article? Will I develop aerobically from this incredibly slow jog that could still effectively be anaerobic? (having had no clinical LT test I can't say definitively what my LT is).

• I should probably add that whilst the Hadd article seems to make sense, and he puts forward a good argument, his example (Joe) is in a different league to me, and his 145bpm run is still actually a run, wheras I don't seem to have a 145bpm option in my gears; it's either a brisk walk (100bpm) or an incredibly slow jog (150bpm).

Is this lack of a middle range evidence in itself of poor aerobic fitness? By just plugging away at the 150bpm runs will these come down to 140 and lower?

• hope i'm explaining myself well, i appreciate it's a bit waffly image

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Just need a bit of background info to give a worthwhile response

• sure, understood. I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

• Agent ginger- regarding the max HR, surely if its over 193 then according to Hadd then you just use 193bpm as a max. Mine is 213 but I've been using 193 (unless I'm missunderstanding the point of it) so this has ment 70% is 135bpm for me. Hope that helps a little.
  • I don't think 193 is meant to be a substitute for your own MaxHR, that was simply Joe's maxHR in the example Hadd gave.

Also, even if mymax were 193, my problem is that I seem to be unable to train below 150bpm, so not sure if I'm actually training below the anaerobic threshold

• I struggled with with the wording of the document regarding max because it wasn't very clear on page 23 in my opinion. It says:

IF YOUR HR MAX IS 193 OR HIGHER (EVEN IF OVER 200)

MAX 193.

How do you interpret that mace? Or brian?

Its difficult getting into this Hadd malarkey isn't it at first.
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    I would interpret it as the highest hrmax as far as Hadd is concerned is 193. I'm not sure I agree with it but I agree with all the other stuff he writes.
  • So brian if your true max was 213 would use 213 or 193, I need this practically spelling out for me. I've read a good 300 pages of forum threads to find this one little answer but I'm really struggling to get to grips with this qeustion. Your answer would be very very much appreciated thanks.
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    If Hadd is to be believed you would use 193. But not having had experience of dealin with anyone above 200 max I can't be sure.
  • macemace ✭✭✭

andy, the question is raised several  posts down in this link as well though it doesn't really get a satisfactory answer - the suggestion is that there could be a mis-print / transposition error in the original document

http://can.milesplit.com/discussion/topics/90162/1

I pondered this briefly myself when i read it, couldn't think why at the time, but didn't dwell as it didn't affect me. He clearly says in the document there's an HRmax ceiling. Maybe above a certain HRmax, 70% is not squeezing the toothpaste enough and you have to go to a lower %. All rather confusing as there's no justification from HADD and a bit of a spanner in the works if your HR is significantly above 193 !!

Personally, i'd ignore this as it doesn't seem logical. If you take 70% of your true max and you can talk comfortably at that effort then that's what i'd use i think

• so, leaving the maxHR issue to one side for a moment, what do you understand as being the impact of not being able to run below 150bpm? whatever my exact maxHR, that's likely to be above 70%, so does that mean i'm training below or above the LT?

• Cheers for that Brian and mace. I was very unsure because 70% of 193 is 135 but 70% of 213 (true max) is 149. Obviously this is more than the 2-3 beat leeway that hadd says about. Today I averaged 134 which felt very easy but I'll try 149 and see how I get on. Cheers again. I think i'm good to go now, I think.
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    AG, if you feel that it's impossible for you to run at less than 150, another suggestion is 5k pace + 3 mins. The bottom line for you is to run as easy as possible and build the time on your feet up to about 6-7 hours per week very gradually. Build each run towards 70mins and the long run to 2hours.
  • AG- I suppose if you build up your running at 150bpm then surely your aerobic fitness will improve in time so that you can run at 70% at a reasonable HR. You cant be above your LT though otherwise you would feel it wouldn't you.
  • Thanks guys, that's kind of what I hoped, so I'll keep plugging away at a very slow pace and hopefully over the next couple of months will the my HR at that pace/effort drop. Thanks for the advice image
  • Hi people

Just been out for a 3.2 mile run and aimed for 149bpm (70% of max hr) ended with average of 146bpm and 7:38 ave pac.

Yesterday I did a 6.00mile run on basically same course but averaged 134bpm 8:51 pace. Cant believe though that going up by 12bpm I got a pace 73secs/mile faster. Clearly this shows I need more work at the lower hr doesn't it, to bring it more into line with the higher heart rates doesn't it?
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Atd, 3miles (or ~ 20mins) is not long enough to get meaningful stats. As you warm up the hr increases. Get at least 1mile in first before u record the stats. Generally the shorter the run the lower the hr because of tiredness, dehydration, glycagen depletion etc. Your stock run for benchmarking should be upwards of 6miles
  • Brian- cheers for that, i thought the first mile seemed quick for the HR that was showing. i would of gone round a 10mile loop if it wasn`t the marathon tomorrow, i have to say i wouldn`t describe

• Dr.Dan wrote (see)

image ... stage 1 is knowing your real maxHR. 220-age doesn't work. Time to the max HR test image!!

Dr D, that is the one thing that infuriates me about MHR. I can catagorically state that MHR at 220-age has been accurate for me for the last 25 years.

People (and not just yourself) dismiss 220-age as being inaapropiate and inaccurate but I always contend it must be accurate for some percentage of the population which happens to include me. If you know no better and cannot do a MHR test then that is a good starting point in my view.

• Brian, I was nearer the canal than you but I always used to enjoy that 1/2 mile w/u before getting into the proper stuff. Running down the Leeds/Liverpool is better than down Gain Lane and the surrounding areas

• Johnny bike- I guess if your lucky enough to be bang on what that formula says then great, I guess the formula gets a bad name because for the majority its not accurate. I should be 199 according to formula, actual max is 213.
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Jb, nothing wrong with gain lane and the smell of the bakery........

Can't beat the aroma of fresh bread.

Wow the Chester weather looks ideal. 12' sunny with 2mph breeze.

Fantastic conditions for our 26.2ers.

Feeling envious now.

Rest day for me.
  • Conditions were perfect today. Wouldn't ask for anything even slightly different.

Hope to recover ASAP so as to get a fresh start with training now in view of not entering marathons again. The winner must of had wings doing a 2:25.

Has everyone Hadd a good run today wherever you are image
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I had to pull out of Chester ... taper turned into complete inactivity due to a prolonged spell of congestionimage and coughingimage. I kept hoping that it would pass but on Saturday morning I decided it just wasn't going to be image.  The bug has just about gone now, so time to put it behind me and concentrate on the Leeds Abbey Dash.

JohnnyBike wrote (see)
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)

image ... stage 1 is knowing your real maxHR. 220-age doesn't work. Time to the max HR test image!!

Dr D, that is the one thing that infuriates me about MHR. I can catagorically state that MHR at 220-age has been accurate for me for the last 25 years.

People (and not just yourself) dismiss 220-age as being inaapropiate and inaccurate but I always contend it must be accurate for some percentage of the population which happens to include me. If you know no better and cannot do a MHR test then that is a good starting point in my view.

JB ... 220-age works pretty well for me too as it happens. However, while 220-age is a reasonable average for the population, there is a very broad spread around that average which means that there are a very large number of people for whom it does not work. It's like predicting your own house price based on the average house price of the country. As painful as it is, you need to get an estate agent in to get a meaningful value.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

DrDan, Tough luck on Chester. Hope you get shut of the lurgy and have more luck at the AD.

• Ouch. Properly DOMS'ed after chester marathon yesterday so could take a while to get going again, hopefully within a week I'll be doing some easy low intensity jogs.

Dr dan sorry to hear about you pulling out. I never finished either, only got to 19m at 3hour pace then walked to 20m. Lesson learned: dont start if youve been ill in the 2 weeks before.