Options

Excited new runner

Comments

• Options

Ha Ha. Or Bush, or Bush ....I see a pattern here image

• Options

Stewart, I am in week four of a ten week plan to build a solid 40 miles a week. Started at 27.5 so increasing mileage very slowly. Not doing any runs outside of 'easy' pace during the whole period as I haven't got any races planned. I only run 4 times a week and am following the accepted one long steady run, one slightly shorter long run plus two shorter run pattern. This began at 10, 7.5, 5 and 5 miles and will hopefully build to 15, 11, 7 and 7 miles.

Are you planning to do a Marathon? I have it in the back of my mind but not going to commit until I see how my fitness and work situation are at the end of the ten weeks(Just before Christmas so perfect time to start a spring Marathon plan)

• Options

Stripes,

No plans for a Marathon any time soon, but I've got the Inverness Global HM in March, I'm also looking to just do some easy running until the end of the year, I've been reading the Hadd thread in the training forum and it looks interesting, I'm finding it quite hard not to push myself. and the group running might become an issue if I'm out with the faster runners.

• Options
    Well sense has prevailed and Obama is back so we can all breath a huge sigh of relief! Didn't realise Mitt was 65 - he looked pretty good for his age although I'm suspicious of that hair. As a man who been grey since his early 20s having black hair at that age just isn't natural.

You boys are putting me to shame with this mileage. I'm not sure I could dothaton the tready as a Id be bored and b the electric bill would go through the roof. Haha!

Like the new profile pic by the way Stewart.

Where's Booey gone?
  • Options

Morning all

Thinking about your milage is making me tired, that combined with I'm having a can't be a$ed day doesn't help. Lazy day for me ahead of work tomorrow.

• Options

Marathon - i'd be so excited it some people from HERE did a marathon!!!! seriously, how cool would that be!!!!

Booey and Mal are very quiet.  As is Magrit - are you out there ladies????

Did a five mile run at lunchtime today.  Forgot my towel too - so I had to dry myself off from my shower with my running top..... yes, stoopid emma!

My next race is a 10k in december.  Then it'll be next year for me.... no marathon plans - I would say 'ever' but 5 years ago, I would never have thought I could run 2 miles and look where we all are now.

Really need to do some sit ups and sort out my bingo wings.  I have been ignoring those areas....

• Options

Thanks Silver it was taken during the Culloden 17.46k race the other Sunday, I'm happier that Obama won last night the other guy seemed to be a bit of a numpty.

Maam hope you've enjoyed your lazy dayimage

Emma, I would love to run at lunchtimes, but there is no shower facilities.  good running

8 miles easy this evening in 90 mins, I'm trying to keep the heart rate down, it was a little wet and windy running along side the river, still enjoyable though.

• Options

Hi all

I have running news image I've just confirmed my place for next years GNR, now here is to hoping I can do it and do it well image Physio is iffy abuot thought of Silverstone so will see how it goes.  Knee is so sore at the minute after all the housework.

Lazy day was ok but need sleep, yep, I'm back to not sleeping image Back to work today too image

Well done on the run Em, and one day maybe a mara if health holds out enough.

• Options

Hi all,

Maam, Good news on the GNR place, plenty of time to recover and get ready for the race.

Hill reps last night, 1.5 mile warm up and 6 hill sprintsimage followed by a 2 mile warm down, with a little effort run thrown in.  5.73 miles in total bring it up to 35 for the week image two non running days, might do some cross training at the gym tonight and I'm at a Jog Scotland Leader course on Saturday.

• Options
    My God Stewart where do you get your energy? Are you officially in the over 40s club? There was a time when the only people allowed on here were 40+! Or are you a yungun in your 30s? Im struggling to find time even for the tready at the moment as I'm working day and night. This weekend it's footie training Sat, footie match Sunday, cubs remembrance march on Sun pm and if we're lucky Chelsea Liverpool Sun evening. Oh and another fireworks display Sat night. So much for getting time to myself! image

Still we're off on our mini cruise to France in 2 weeks, kids are with the grandparents, we don't have to worry about driving and it's free food for 3 days and nights! Nom nom nom. Can't wait - let the Christmas festivities commence!image
  • Options

lol Silver, losing all that weight has helped with the energy levelsimage I'm a year into the over 40's club, I think this is my midlife crisis image, looks like a fun packed weekend, you could always pull the tv into the garage and run while watching the gameimage best of both worlds.... a two week cruise with free food... you'll be needing the treadie when you get back image

• Options

Hi Hi!  It's the weekend and I just woke up and ate white muffins with butter for brekkie!

Done 31 miles so far this month but its my day off today - may disappear onto the xtrainer at the gym for an hour, if not I have some homework to do for one of these courses work have put me on!

Tomorrow is my long sunday run - what distance should I do?  My next race is a 10k but I like the longer runs..... any suggestions?

Talking of losing weight - how much have you lost Stewart, since you took up running?

Anyone else lost weight here?  lots of runners get quite gaunt but i'm not there yet!!! lolimage

pics of great south run are up.  some are ok - some are HILARIOUS.... I may post the link....

• Options

Hi Emma,

I was over sixteen and a half stone at the start of new year 38" waist, I'm now in the high twelve stone range 34" waist image good mileage this week, for Sunday I would go long and slow, make sure you post those pics.

• Options

Awesome effort Stewart, bet you are very happy with that, and needing a new wardrobe! image

• Options
    Can't beat long and slow image
  • Options

Really Stripes image

Well my weekend so far has been long, very long and I guess you could say slow. Up at 5am yesterday to go to my mates to go diving for the day. Did 2 dives, totally loved it and used my legs fully on both dives with only a bit of pain on the second dive. Knee tired as a result. Once home it was kit, shower and change as went to see a band called Deepsnake (Deep Purple and Whitesnake tribute band), really good, then to a mates for catch up. Finally home around 2:30 this morning!

Today is proving to be a tired lazy day a result. Waiting to pick OH parents up as they are due back from their coach trip to Italy! Yep, by coach. They early night me thinks. Good news is, I'm off work tomorrow image

Hope everyone has had great runs this weekend, especially the long slow kind image Oh how I miss them

• Options
    Sounds like a good weekend Maam.

My two best mates love their classic rock so would have enjoyed the Gig.

Did 5.6 miles and a swim yesterday then 13.2 this morning. Was a little tired and had another Paula moment so not my best run ever image

34 on the week so just behind Stewart but not so many hills!
  • Options

Good training Stripes, sounds like you've had a good weekend too

• Options

Hi all,

Good running and swimming Stripes, hope the legs are feeling fresher today.

Maam your weekend sounded fun, hows the knee bearing up after this weekend's activities?

Hope everyone else had good runs over the weekend.

13.14 miles taking 2:30:xx yesterday, 8 miles in a group and 5 on my todd. all but 3 miles off road, the route was prodominantly flat, not that I'm complaining image 

• Options

Hi

Knee is ok ish, rested up yesterday and having a lazy day today. Now I'm back diving just want to get back to diving all the time. I want to dive again image

Good running Stewart,

• Options

Hey Hey - Did a five mile lunchtime run today and felt like I was going to die - checked my watch and understood why.... running at 8.5 min miles is not the pace for me.... feel fine now but if you burn out too quick, you just can't keep going!! 

45 miles so far this month.... quick run tomorrow morning before I go to London for the day then must do a decent run on thursday as am due to go out for curry thurs night and tapas on friday night..... nom nom.  Lots of lovely grub!!

Booey and Mal about at all? x

• Options

That's a speedy 5 miler Emma, that you half way to your monthly toatal already image I see your carb loading before your long run at the weekendimage

Maam, it's good that you've got another passion to keep you occupied will you get the knee fit enough to run on

Monday night I did a very slow 5 mile recovery run and it really was I felt great at the end.  Last night was Jog Scotland and my first time as a jog leader, I took the four mile group on one of my favourite routes and of course a mandatory hill thrown in, the group seemed to have enjoyed the run which was the main thing.

69 miles so far this month image 

• Options

You are doing crazy milages! I'm very jealous image

I have been out today and got a helmet and padded shorts so now just needing a bike with 2 working wheels on it and I'm all set. Should get first outing this weekend image

Hope everyone is well image

• Options

Hi all.

I bought a helmet yesterday Maam(not got a bike yet though, long story!)

Did ten miles last night but tonight I have done something new, or according to my OH 'you are mental' I ran 3.4 miles to the Gym, swam 400 metres, and then ran home.

68.68 miles sofar this month.

Ruined the good work by eating the Samosa's she brought home from school yesterday as leftovers from the Diwali celebration they had on Monday.

• Options
    Evening All. Your mileage is fantastic - makes my tiddly little tready runs look a bit feeble. I'm actually struggling to even get on the tready at the moment as its work, work, work.

Stripes I think you are really getting close to a triathlon what with the run to the pool, a swim, a run back and buying a cycling helmet. I'd love to do a triathlon but just don't have it in me.

Ma'am glad you've bought a helmet too and padded shorts. I bought a massive gel saddle for my bike as I couldn't walk after a couple of longer rides.

Stewart well done on the mileage and also the weight loss - that's admirable at our age!image. I lost 2 1/2 stone at my peak but ive now stabilised at around 14.5 so about 2 stone less than when I started in early 2011. After tonight's Ice Cream it's probably 1.5stone.

So where have Mal and Booey gone hey?
  • Options

Hi all,

Have you planned your route for your bike run Maam? I'm sure you will enjoy getting out into the fresh air espically if can get out into countryside

good running Stripes, I also do the run to and frm the gym infact I'm doing it tomorrow, I'm treating it as a recovery run.

Silver thanks mate, I'm loving the running and it means I can almost eat what I want image try and make some time for the treadie, you'll get grumpy if you don't get your endorphin fiximage

7 mile tempo run last night first mile as a warm up 10:30, then steadily increased my pace up to 9mm.

tonight jog scotland, which included a run too and from so 9 miles in total

• Options

Blimey Stewart you are a machine image

Just did half hour each of cycling and rowing tonight.

I have hit a point food wise where I am eating like a horse. Trying to keep it as healthy as possible but the bad stuff does creep in, especially beer and curry image

• Options

Had a curry last night - so a curry fuelled run this morning.  Lets say when I got home, the bedroom was in a kind of haze image

Tapas tonight so tomorrow its going to be just as bad!!

58 miles so far this month - trailing behind the boys but it won't always be this way (mwah haw haw hawwwww) 

Good running and everything in between!  x

• Options

so just got back from my Grans funeral and I must say, as sad as the day has been for my family, the running really did help me to deal with everything - it really has been good for me to think about her and remember her undistracted.  Just thought i'd say.  Tapas soon image

• Options

Em - Sorry to hear about your Gran, I hope you are ok xxx

Well done on the running everyone image And Swimming, Cycling, Rowing image

I'll be cycling this weekend, got a route to try but not sure how far I'll manage, going to put running watch on to see how far I manage. 

Found out about job this week, didn't even get interview image

Physio is also favouring sending me for more surgery image Not looking good for running any time soon.  Also been told I may never be able to kneel or crouch again image  Here is to trying to prove them wrong image