Excited new runner

Comments

• That's the trouble, finding the time to up the distance. I got back from my run to find poor Moo had been crying her heart out and Mr Mal was stressed to the max and had no idea what to do. He was sure I'd been gone for hours!

I've got my shiny new training plan from my lovely sister and I'm really excited about it. I can't wait to get out. It starts nice and slow because I've got lots of time and I can increase it if I want to. I asked to start it nice and easy so I can just enjoy getting out running in the cold and rubbish weather without worrying about distance and then start increasing once I'm getting out more regularly and it's getting lighter.

• Also excited because I am now in possesion of a pretty green ipod shuffle, Xmas present from lovely twin so I'll be able to see if a distraction helps the distance.
  • Oooo lucky you Mal! Hope the tunes make you enjoy the runs more. I haven't run with music for ages so I may give it a go again.

I'm still struggling to find time for anything other than my LSR at the mo. May try an off road run at lunch but with all the rain yesterday it could be messy and dangerous.

Maybe if I go round in my wellies instead - not sure how they'd look with the running tights though! Haha! image

Feel sorry for Mr Mal by the way. Did he have a look of terror on his face. Funny he thought you were out for hours! Haha! Or maybe you were and you ran further than you thought. image
  • Morning all

Well the gate, post and fence panel are all off now, the wind had shattered one panel.  Hubby and kind next door neighbour have made it all safe until we can get it sorted image more expense image

Didn't club run last night had to much to sort but hopefully will tonight and tomorrow, tonight depending if I can get away from work early which am not sure about at the moment image

Its a beautiful morning here at the moment, wish I was out running

• It's a bit miserable here and I don't just mean in my head! I want to run at lunch but don't want to get soaked so I'm deliberating and cogitating what to do. Will prob bite the bullet and go for a quick 5k although I've left the Garmin at home so no timings. Grrrrr!

Glad you fixed the fence Boo. We lost a couple of tiles in the wind which will need replacing - as you said more expense just when you don't need it. image
  • Well Silver did you go? image

Fence made safe its far from fixed unfortunately, it can wait as well lol

Whats everyones opinion on theses races I am going to do - basically its 3 rounds 3 dates, 5, 10 or 15K.......I was thinking the first one do 10K then the second two 15K image purely for the reason I don't know the course and the first I can see what its like image good idea or 'no stop slacking Boo and do all at 15K' image image

• Like the look of the races Boo. Have you been to Irchester Country Park before? All terrain always sounds tough to me so I'd be tempted to start at 10k and if you like it go up to 15 for the final 2.

Failed miserably at lunch again. I walked out onto the fields I run through and it was blowing a gale still so I thought I'd stay in and have my lunch instead. I'm starting to lose enthusiasm once again which is weird as I was loving it before Christmas. Still think its something to do with getting all kitted up for shortish runs. If I know I'm doing a +10k I'm really up for it. This is bad as I know a little more often is good to build up your strength.

I'm going to say here and now that from next Tues I am back on the club runs. If I don't do it you can all give me a collective kick up the arse!

Know what I need - a running partner - a real one! image. Now where can I find one of those?
  • I've just this morning had an offer of a running partner, don't know if I actually want one or not!

It would be nice on the one hand but I'm worried about the pressure on the other hand. Particularly as I'll need to speed my slow and steady programme up for anyone else. Not fair to expect anyone else to stick with between 3k and 5k for the whole month just because I'm trying to take it easy.

It would help with motivation and possible strengthen a friendship with someone I like and admire a lot but am not entirely comfortable with. It'd be easier if I didn't know them or if they were also new to running but she's been running for years but taken a break after the birth of her baby.

I should probably just go for it!

Booey, I think your plan is a good one, better to start at 10k for the first one and test your limitations and enjoy it, then you'll be in a better position to push your boundaries for the 15k's to follow. That's my humble opinion anyway!

I did feel sorry for Mr Mal. He is used to avoiding almost all aspects of the childcare but suddenly he's being asked to look after the children a lot more. He's doing a really good job and it's strengthening his bond. Anyway sorry to blather on about child related stuff so much.

• Where did you find this running partner? I'm jealous I want one too!?! Are there anymore going spare? image
  • I think its just me but I like running alone image my club runs are with other people and when I am pushed, so the freedom of other runs on my own I love image Is it not difficult to find someone that runs at your pace image I am pretty slow and find most people are usually quicker than me image

Its wierd cuz I bet if we all lived close together we would go out together alot, the encouragement would be fantastic  image no slacking when I would be knocking on your door saying 'come on get your runners on' haha image

Mal just be honest with this new running partner so they know exactly what you want to do, distances etc and how often you want to run with them image see if it works thats all you can do

Not been to Irchester Country Park no, think I will do the 10K then 2 x 15K image I need to be doing 10-11 miles as much as I can now really

• Good luck with finding the time for that Boo Mr Boo will forget what you look like! image
  • Thanks Booey, you're right. I should just be completely honest with her, tell her what I want to do and how often and see if she wants to come along for none, part or all of it. What I want to do is no less valid just because I haven't been running long. I should remember that. I've been running between a 12 and 13 minute mile so on the slow side but I can tell her that too.

Silver, you've got some virtual running partners here but I hope you find a real one soon.

• Hello all,

Mal I am stalking you, I popped over to see if your new picture is on yet and it is image

"What I want to do is no less valid just because I haven't been running long."

I'll remind you of that Mal.

You are doing brilliantly, you are all proper runners. If you weren't you wouldn't know what it feels like to shuffle through the door feeling hot despite the driving rain and gale force winds! Give yourselves credit where it's due.

Mal you are the only runner I know to have managed to keep running consistently (despite all the logistical challenges)in the last 3 months, everyone else - me included - have been overcome by excuses!

Marathon cake was AMAZING, there were even a few tantrums from the grownups who discovered there wasn't any left to take home with them ... I didn't tell them that there wasn't any left cos I went into the kitchen and ate two slices under the guise of doing the washing up image

• Thanks Mal. I value my virtual partners very much I just want someone I can see and touch (ooo missus!) every now and again! image

Love your profile pic by the way. They look sooooo cute! image

Blimey! Is that your sis. SOLB are you really a marathon runner? - a real true life marathon runner? We are not worthy of your presence! *bows head* Welcome to our humble abode! image.

Glad you enjoyed the cake - Mal slaved over it for days. I feel like I was there with her for most of it too - not that she went on about it or anything! Haha image
  • Ha ha, Silver, you made me laugh!! As if I went on about it, I never, ever ramble on about non-running related things! SOLB is my ever so fantastic marathon running sister, she's the one who has to listen to all the whinging about running (even more than you lot have to hear!!)

Thanks for the support SOLB, nice to see you on here. I'd make you a cup of tea but it's your turn. Get the kettle on!

• /members/images/614453/Gallery/lil.jpg

image ha ha I'll come in more often if I get to live off past glories - truthfully I'm just starting out again cos I've had 6 months off proper running. My schedule looks very much like Mals for the next few weeks.

I'd kinda guessed about the hours spent slaving over the cake .... as the picture will testify the effort was fairly evident. The after picture wasn't quite so pretty and my swollen belly and I have only just managed to roll off the sofa.

*Slosh* there you go Mal *thuds back onto the sofa*

• Hi SOLB nice to meet you, Mal has told us all about you imageimage  that cake is fantastic image

Well I finished work early enough to get to Run England Running group last night but the weather decided to change drastically whilst I was driving home image by the time I was home it was heavy rain so I didnt venture out, and it stayed that way all night image

So, tonight I shall be out with DRR group image as far as the forecast is saying is shouldn't be raining image fingers crossed

Oh and Mal am loving your pic, very cute image

• Love that cake. Looks too good to eat Can I get my order in? Birthday is on March 1st. image

Boo I still haven't run and it's driving me mad but it's soooo windy today I know Id hate it out there as these fields are v exposed! image

Good luck if you go out tonight. Don't get blown away. image
  • The weather is still very bad here too, I was hoping as the day went on it was going to get better.  If its still bad tonight its gonna have to be the dready tready lol its just so boring on that thing image and still not used my new super bright headtorch image

Right I have just booked my first race this year, a week on Sunday, Irchester Country Park, Wellingborough the 10K to start with image I have been checking the results/times of previous years and when I do the 15K I will highly lightly be last image haha it looks like alot of rather good runners use this to train for the VLM.  Chap at my run club said to me your a true runner when you experience coming last image haha anyhow it looks a lovely setting although as multi terrain could be muddy image its a set loop of 5K so either 2 or 3 loops image

Anyone fancy joining me image

• Not the dready tready! I wish I had one right now as I'm frustrated at the weather and haven't been out for a week. It's also partly self inflicted as I'm trying to finish the decorating in yet another room. I've gone mad this Christmas but its kept me out of trouble (with Mrs S) haha! image

Haven't got much credit for all my hard work though but as you all know she's not one to give praise without good cause! image

Think it would take a new kitchen to get any thanks in our house but that ain't gona happen for a long time!

Wish I could join you for the run Boo but yet again the boys footie is in the way.it will happen one day I'm sure image
  • Hello everyone.

Little 2k to do tonight but can't be bothered, can't wait for my motivation to return properly. I'm going out anyway and I get to try my new ipod shuffle out too.

Booey, I think it's time to confess, we all know you've been switching all the lights off and running on the treadmill with your headtorch on at home!

Wish I had a tready too!

• Hurray! Did the 2k and calculated my speed at under 11 minute miles. I'm improving!
  • Well done Mal. Still windy here so I'm staying in tonight.

I think it's time I had a new mantra - I will run tomorrow, I will run tomorrow, I will run tomorrow - if it's not windy! Haha image
  • Oh Silver, Don't be naughty! Your mantra should be "I will run so I can have Hagan Daaz!"
  • Hahaha I love it Mal - We've obviously spent too much time on here as you know my habits (and addictions) too well. image

Seriously I am worried as I feel restless at night if I haven't had my fix of Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. It's still on offer at Spar (half price) but I've bought so many tubs from there in he last 2 weeks they have run out - seriously! I'm doing a large tub every 2 days so I'm quite a regular. I told the girl I couldn't sleep unless Id had some HD and she looked at me like I was a weirdo! image

It's all about rewards that's what I say and as long as I'm running I don't feel guilty about it. Oh! Hang on I haven't run for a week now so What am I rewarding myself for? Oh yes the decorating that's it - if you look hard enough there's always a reason to eat Hagen Das! Mmmmmm! image
  • What a morning. It's beautiful here. Must be a lunchtime run today. Please don't rain, please don't rain ! image
  • Morning folks image

Did my club run last night yaay image 4.65 miles.  A couple of new people started, another lady who runs at my pace image and a chap who has entered Ironman image needless to say once we started he was gone, couldn't see him for dust, rather good looking chap aswell imageimage enjoyed the run alot though, no rain and abit windy

Silver - reckon you will be good to go today, I think we have had the last of the rain even though the wind is still about.  Maybe a tad muddy underfoot though image

Mal - that tickled me image a vision of me on the treadmill in the dark with headtorch haha you never know though we could have a powercut imageimage

Well I am out tonight round my folks, mum has a get together with a few of us for a drinks/buffet/games night this time every year so should be a laugh image then tomorrow is hubbies best mates 40th so we are all out for a meal to celebrate, I am driving so he can have a few pops image

• I did it! I finally got out and ran and I loved it too. So much so that after 6.8k I got back to the office feeling fit so decided to do a further 2.6 to make it 9.4k. Not a bad time too at 48.29.

It was well muddy on the trails but the new trainers were great. Have to say they aren't as comfy on the road though as they feel a lot more sturdy than my Nikes but maybe they just need running in.

I am do happy to have finally run in 2012. Bring on the HM! image

Well done on your run last night Boo! image
  • Great news Silver well done image good mileage and time aswell.  Its a great feeling when your out there doing it ah, makes you feel that ickle bit more addicted image

Reading from other threads, if you can stay motivated this time of year you will always love running image 

I can already see its staying lighter a tad in the evening, it may only be a matter of minutes but it still makes me feel positive image

• Silver - well done on getting out there and doing some.  Sounds like you had a great time.

Hopefully won't be long till I join the running in 2012, just can't see it being anywhere near your standard.

At times I do feel like chatting on here I am way out of my league since my longest run ever, and I'm talking a few years back is only 4 miles and would take nearly an hour to do image I do take confidence from you all though that I can get where ever I want my running to take me, can't see it ever being a marathon though, just fun and weight loss.

Boo - you been using your new head torch yet or is it now too light in the evening for it image