Excited new runner

Comments

• Good. Off to Brighton tomorrow image

Did my LSR a day early. 9 miles after work. 1.18.45. Felt great until last mile which was a struggle. Longest run since Feb.
  • Stripes - enjoy Brighton.  It's great there - they got zorbing close by, and the shopping in the lanes is pretty fun.  I'm an ex goth, so they got loads of alternative bits and pieces down there - lol!

Just did 10 miles and my legs feel slightly surreal.  Hoping some stretching and me punching my thighs will sort them out.

Last day of tour de france today and german gp - can't wait!

• one more thing........ definitely don't do the beetroot juice.  

I tried a shot this morning before my run and am surprised I didn't projectile.  Seriously vile tasting.  would rather take the leg cramps.

• What an excellent Tour de France is was aswell, me and OH follow it every year image so pleased for Brad Wiggins and very proud being the first ever Brit to win it.  Big Mark Cavendish fan also and he proved what a Legend he is again image Team Sky were just incredible and unbeatable, the Froome dog will be a good bet to win it next year.  Roll on the Olympics ah image

Also major F1 fans, love Lewis but he is not doing so good at the moment image OH Jenson fan image

Ran on friday but nothing over weekend, I shall do abit this evening image

• Hi Booey 

I'm a big hamilton fan.  used to support williams when I was younger (had a thing for juan pablo montoya!!).  I'm not a fan of jenson button, although he is growing on me slowly.  I just find him a bit 'rich' and his dad - always in his pink shirt and chinos! there's a sport for the rich eh!

And agreed - Mark Cavendish is amazing!  I always enjoy the tour de france - we almost went this year but just could not justify it in the end.  Did you watch any of the other cycling?  We, this year got eurosport on our sky package so we get loads of cycling - really interesting stuff!  one of my favourite sports to watch!

Managed a 10 mile run on sunday morning - sore legs sunday afternoon and will be going out for 'tempo' training tonight with the running club.  where everyone else has been running for years and is really quick.  Never mind, I refuse to let it intimidate me too much!

Hope everyone's well! 

• Oh my god was it hot club running last night image went out with them at 7 and it was baking, we were all feeling it so did a short one of about 3.5 miles

Em how did you get on doing tempo training, it must have been pretty unbearable in this heat image

We watch all the cycling when we can, we get the basic eurosport channels which do usually show them.  Did you notice this year at the Tour as it got closer and closer to Brad winning there was more and more coverage on what I call the norm channels.  I hope now that these cyclists get more coverage because of any of the sports they truly deserve it....cant wait to see the Olympics image

The guy who I have just started running with in my village works in the cycling industry and last weds he was asked by a magazine if he wanted to go to Paris on sunday to see the final, which of course he did lucky devil image

Me and OH have said when we retire and have our motorhome, following the Tour is defo on our list image some of the places they go through are really stunning ah

Well I have Thurs Fri off work to enjoy the sun, I have some fence painting to do so ideal time then friends for BBQ Fri night and watch the Olympics opening ceremony.  I think my best bet is get up early and run otherwise way to hot.

So although abit early prob wont get on here again till next week, so have a good weekend everyone image

• Hi Booey

Yes - last night was super hot out running. I put my heart rate monitor on and it went up to 201 bpm.  I had a dr's appt today and my resting was around 70 so no problem. I just get a high heart rate when running (and it was very hot!)

Ooh - motorhome - I've actually just had the caravan tv channel on - looking at the latest motorhomes.  how sad is that image

Did you see the devil this year on the tour?  I don't recall seeing him on the tour, but i think i saw him in the giro d'italia (and on the wiggle advert). 

Weather is defo too hot to run in during the daytime - I'll be going out early morning and its due to be 'cooler' by the weekend - nicer for running.

Have a cracking weekend Booey - i'm sure Maam's having an amazing time in Cuba, bless her.  Hope her leg is healing nicely!

• Ok, so Maam is in cuba, stripes went to Brighton, Booey off for the weekend - what about Mal and Silver!!!!  where are you guys.........???? image

• Hi Emma,

Back from Brighton now. Did three four milers along the front whilst I was there. Great place to run(did the HM in Feb) but they got harder as the weather got warmer throughout the week.

Managed a ten miler this morning. Took it very steady and felt great on 9 miles so quickened up and did the last mile in 7:42 to finish in 1:29.30. Well pleased with that. Now to find a race image

How has your running been this week?

Where is everyone else?

Have you read 'Born to Run' about the Tarahumara, the running tribe from Mexico?

I have downloaded it onto my Kindle and it is fascinating.

• Hi Stripes!

Welcome back - I have been to Brighton a few times as its up the road from me (about an hour away), and we had a work conference there a couple of years ago - I can imagine running along the front will have been lovely!

Your 10 miles this morning sounds great - I did ten miles too, but in 1:48 (slow and steady).  To be fair, I don't think I could get it under 1:40 without it being an actual 'race'.  

I was torn between the new forest half marathon or the hursley 10k towards end of september.  The 10k won.  I have great south run as well end of oct (which is 10 miles). Definitely having a race to do is good motivation.

I'm up to 85 miles this month, so i've done my target - happy with that but my legs feel quite tired when i'm out.  I have an appt with a sports masseur next friday so hoping that'll be a positive!

I am going to download Born to Run on your suggestion.  I need a new book (though I am behind on reading all my running magazines!)

• Well done on your mileage. If I can do 4 miles I will hit 80, which will be my best ever total. Your idea of having a monthly target has really spurred me on.

Hope your sports massage is not as evil as the couple that I have had image

My legs felt tired on Wednesday after 4 runs and a gym session in 5 days so have rested(or been lazy) for three days before today. Didn't help that I was eating lots and drinking during the five days in Brighton, back on the straight and narrow now.

• Here Miss!

I've read it Stripes, interesting book. May reread it to find my motivation again.

So busy lately and so tired. Very stressed out. Must find time (any energy) to run!

• Mal - sorry to hear you're so tired and stressed.  

Have you considered going to see an acupuncturist.  I'm only saying this because my very good friend was suffering a lot with food intolerances which made her tired and stressed out and the acupuncturist sorted her out completely.  Not only that, the acupuncturist told her that she was pregnant a few weeks into her pregnancy (she had not realised).

She really had terrible fatigue, she was drained, had months off work and the doctors (nhs) could not help her - told her to stop complaining, which didn't help but the acupuncturist did her magic and today she's coping great with a 1 year old, back at work 3 days a week and coping well! xx

• Hi guys I am back image image I was in work yesterday but very busy

I ran thurs and fri morning but not ran since then, I will be club runnning tonight image the weather is awful here and like winter image better for running though image my mileage for this month is rubbish again, I will let you know tomorrow the exact total.

Had a nice few days off sitting in the garden and got the fence painted image had friends and family for a BBQ Fri night which was lovely and we all watched the Olympics opening together and I had a fair few G&T's image lol my first drink since starting the meds but I seemed ok image

Watching loads of the olympics or as much as I can.  Gutted for Cav not getting a medal image it was never going to happen with no help from others and his team put in a solid effort.  Like Cav said, other countries were happy to lose as long as we did and he is about right there.

BTW Em the devil in the Tour was having brain surgery, recovering well and will hopefully be back on the circuit soon image they gave it out after so many people were asking after him image

Oh and a big well done Em and Stripes on your mileage this month image great work

I have a HM in 6 weeks image yikes must get a LSR done this weekend

• Hi Booey. Was gutted for Cavendish as well. Really getting into the Cycling. Was even cheering the Gymnasts on last night and I dont know a forward roll from a Swiss Roll image

Which HM are you doing? Memory like a sieve!
  • Lake Vyrnwy 9th September

Did you watch all the male gymnastics, such a shame when they celebrated silver then the Japs complained about their score with an enquiry and we had to go back to a Bronze image BUT saying that they didnt expect that either so really very pleased for them image

Loving the Olympics and thought our opening Ceremony was brilliant image a true reflection of our history, heritage and everything british image

• Thought it was very good. Loved the NHS section. Bet some of the Tory privateers were squirming in their seats!

Hope Wiggins can do the biz tomorrow.

Off home from work now, four mile run then Olympics all night image
  • Hi Chaps I've been off doing work and family stuff lately so no running unfortunately. Same old excuses hey!

I wanted to let you know that my running Dad friends have organised a High Wycombe Park Run that will have it's inaugural outing this Sat morning at 9am. I'm brushing off my runners and getting out there to show my support and hopefully make it a success. Not sure if I can even do 5k anymore given my long stint away!

Been thinking about purchasing a tready again to allow me to fit in running around my other commitments. It can't be too pricey - thinking 150 for a used one on eBay - can anyone recommend a good model/ make?

Watching lots of Olympics by the way - Junior went to the judo with his cousins yesterday and loved it. I'm well cross seeing all those empty seats after applying 3 times for events. We decided to go for Paraolympic tickets in the end and got trackside athletics for 20 quid each and 5 quid for kids! There's still loads available if you guys are interested.
  • Hello Silver. Glad you are okay.

Tickets situation is upsetting. I applied for loads and got none.

My OH works with special needs children and she is going to Paralympics.
  • Hi all

I watched some gymnastics today (wow!!) and now the womens footie!  I had a tempo run tonight (really humid) so my mileage for the month is..........

90.24 miles.  We can call it 90 and i'm still amazed that I've done that far!

Tomorrow, I start my new job.  I am bricking it somewhat.  I just really don't feel equipped to be the new girl and start afresh.  What I really need is a lottery winfall. image

Good to see you back Silver - enjoy the park run!  Don't worry about time away, running should be for pleasure as much for health and your kids are only kids for a fleeting amount of time. You'll have opportunities.  As for treadmills - i'm rubbish on them and have no idea, but i'll ask my brother.... he knows treadmills.....

• Good luck on your first day in the new job Emma.

Just got two tickets for the Womens football at Coventry on Friday image

• yay our first gold today image well done ladies rowing, and a bronze in the mens four rowing I believe

COME ON BRADLEY WIGGINS image AND FROOME DOG image

Did 5.5 miles last night, so monthly mileage is 54.5 image yes I know I need to pull my finger out ......what I need to do is a few LSR's before the HM

Loving the Olympics image watched Phelps make history last night image 

• It was great. The Bronze was in the eight. Come on Wiggins image
  • Please could someone wrestle the chocolate out from my grip and shove me out the door for a run?

Moo hates nursery still, she won't stop crying and won't let anyone cuddle her or even touch her, she will not be distracted image work tomorrow, praying for a better day with her.

• Hi All I actually ran at lunchtime today. Only 3.5k and it was hard work but I tell you what I loved it!! image. I have to get my fitness up again as I can feel my breathing is laboured but I'm determined to get back for my HM in October. Who knows I may even go for another trot tomorrow!image

Loved the Olympics today watched the cycling and rowing on the Iplayer.

Well done with tickets for footie Stripes - the ladies were fantastic last night it was a really entertaining game. Looking forward to men tonight hope we bear Suarez and all. Did you see someone tweeted to say he should have entered the diving not the footie! image

Sorry to hear about Moo Mal - hope it gets easier for you.
  • **hugs** for Mal and Moo xxx I know this is hard, but don't let Moo sense any upset on your part

well done silver! welcome back!

Yay Wiggins - watching the recording of it now in bed.  First day went ok, quite tiring being friendly to peopel though.  Its not in my nature......image

• Ha Ha Silver. Leave our Luis alone image

Hope things improve Mal.

Glad the first day went well Emma.

Did a nice steady 5 miler in between the Cycling and Swimming. Fitting my life around the Olympics image

• Lol Emma! We started 2 new guys a couple of weeks ago and we're just getting passed the being overly nice stage. Fortunately they get our sense of humour in the office they have fitted in really well.

Hope it goes well anyway - what did you say you did again - telecoms?
  • Watching GB is like a breath of fresh air compared to watching England. I think they are all more relaxed without the pressure of wearing the England shirt. Bellamy has been superb.

Glad you are enjoying the running again Stripes. I think I'm where you were a few months back struggling to get motivation and distance! It's good to know its possible to get the mojo back!