Excited new runner

Comments

• Hey - Macaroons...... nom!

Just been out for a little run as 1) I didn't go out this morning as I laid in 2) I didn't go out at lunchtime and ate loads.

I ended up running at the back of the 'summer starter' group of my running club - it was a 11.5 min mile but nice to see how the new guys are doing and to remind me how far i've come (and how it doesn't take long to progress a lot).  

Home now, showered and ate a tiny tea due to my nommy lunch.  Got the ghost run tomorrow night.  I have my head torch ready!!!

• Coconut ones done, almond ones in the oven.

Next is exercise peddle bike for some knee pain.  The physio is going well, but pointing out how weak my knee is.  My quads don't work, the hamstrings are doing the job for them so it is hard work. Due to the exercise my knee is more wobbly again. kept nearly falling over at work today image I'm told this is normal and sign of good improvement, but isn't feeling good.

Oh, does anyone have any ideas how to sleep all night? Since I did my knee I've had about 5 full nights sleep image problem now is I'm so restless during the night that 1. I'm exhausted, but 2. I'm keeping Carl awake image Help please

• Oh Maam, you poor thing, I'm so sorry.

ps. I've never had macaroons.

• Hi Guys,

Maam, sorry to hear you're still in pain, I used to partial to a macaroon bar as a kid

Hash Macaroons indeed Emma that will help with the sleep and the painimage, sounds like a good run too, I bet it felt easy.

Booey, sounds like a cracking birthday weekend, now its back to the training have you managed to find a half.

Silver, I wasn't happy with the pool's result should have done better, Goals galore this round eh!

After Tuesday's easy 3 miles, last night was at the other end of the scale, a tough 6 miler with the now mandatory hill, 56 mins and I was blowing all the way round.  I'm going out this evening for a few beers with a mate, but I'm going to get in a run before hand easy 4 miler is on the cards.

• hash macaroons would defo help image 

Maam - do you read in bed? thats meant to make you sleepy.....you can get little book lights so it doesnt bother your OH

Stewart - not had chance to look for a HM yet image maybe next week

Have a great weekend everyone image I am finishing early to get a run in before darkness image

• Thanks for the ideas guys, I try reading, sleep for about an hour then wide awake again image My OH is so fussy any light annoys him! Even the time on my alarm clock is too much, what am I to do.  Maybe try hash macaroons image

Hope that everyone has a good weekend, I'm planning on a long one, a nice long one as no work till Thursday image

• Another vote for Hash Macaroons image

Finally used the HRM that came with my Garmin. Only had it for a year!

Tried to work out my Maximum at the Gym last night and then used it for my run today. Not really sure what I am doing yet but readings for today were much higher than I expected.

I like your style Stewart, running allows you to have beers I reckon image

• Red wine and Ice Cream in my case which is what I'm doing now while I watch Leeds play Brighton. OH is out with her Mum as its her 76th bday not the OH her Mum, so I'm home alone and enjoying the piece now the boys have gone to bed.

Took them swimming today and my little one is now away. He can only manage about 5m but it's a start. His big brother puts me to Shame as he's like a fish. Good exercise all round though esp after yesterday at the activity place. I should have treadied tonight but too knackered and need to veg for a bit.

More plonk anyone???
  • Hi Guys,

Not long back from the pub I only had a few, honest image 5 miles earlier this evening while the bairn was at her dancing class, did 5 miles in 50 minutes and it felt fairly easy, like you Stripes I'm kind of interested in HR training, but not sure how to utilise it in my training

Silver chilling is good everyone need to recharge their batteries

Maam, hope you find a soution to your sleeping issue, listening to a recording of rain falling or the sea maybe?

Wow I just looked back on last months stats and can't believe I ran 92 miles image

I thought with all the races I've done that the volume would have been less!

• Good run Stewart and great total last month

Silver - swimming is great, especially when you have a fish, just watch out as he gets older coz if he decides he wants to learn to dive it can get expensive.  Having said that it is great great fun for fish like people image

I'm please to report an early night with OH and I've had a fairly good night sleep, lie in and well rested image Or is it the knowledge that i'm off work till Thursday chilling me out image

Have a fun weekend everyone, hope those that do bonfire fun and games have a great time. We are having a bonfire street party tonight organised by one of the neighbours so should be fun image Fire, beer, fireworks and booze image

• Hey all.

Weird day yesterday but did go out for a run last night - the first Portsmouth 'Ghost Run' through the woods - head torches, flashing lights, fancy dress and dogs in flashing collars!!!  5 miles of muddy darkness.

Day off today - keep on looking at the 'prezzo' vouchers on the fridge.   For every £5 of tesco vouchers, you can trade for £20 worth of prezzo vouchers.... nom nom.  

• hee hee - we saved our vouchers for another time!  opted for pasta with chunky chicken and it smelt like cat food...!!!

not been for my sunday run (yet).... i'm still in my dressing gown chilling today. totally disgusting isn't it...!!

• It's always good having a chill out day. I had one yesterday.  Paid for it today though as been boarding out the garage loft to start sorting the house for christmas, cooked a full sunday dinner, entertained friends, watched the grand prix and did the dishes. Now to chill!

Tomorrow - finish sort the garage as the Lotus is outside till it's done image Needs to be tucked up in the warm away from the bad weather.

Knee is getting a big workout, but feeling good with it.

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend and got some great runs in too image

• Hi all,

Maam glad the knee is starting to respond a little better and it sounds like you had a busy weekend.

Emma, It's good to chill, I must remember that mantra myself from time to time

13.14 miles on Sunday ran all off road through Daviot Woods above Inverness, looped the trail run twice, total elevation gain 1,036ft elevation loss 1,029ft what goes up must come down image, almost two and a half hours, definetely going to run that route again.

Today I went for a gentle 4.5 mile run just to stretch the legs 49 mins 10:55mm, you see it was gentle and only a small inclineimage.

• Great run Stewart - the hills sound hard work but I bet the countryside was beautiful. I think I need to make more effort to get outside a bit more as I'm getting countryside envy!

Still loving my tready though - ran at 10.30 last night after working for a bit in the evening - so convenient. Actually even superfast running Dad has been questioning me on the tready - he's seriously considering one after all my raving.

Off to Huntingdon today again - regular meetings there for next few weeks - bit of a trek up the A1 but the countryside is lovely - just a shame I'm in the car!! image
  • Stewart - that sounds like one hell of a run! Beautiful too.  You do need to remember your rest days.

Silver - Huntingdon is a lovely area, you should pack the running gear just incase you find you have a spare half hour before having to drive home image

Em/Boo/Mal - How you doing?

I've finished sorting the garge, done an ikea run and today am building a bookcase! Knee is feeling it, but keep plodding on.   Curtains to buy, spare room to sort all before the new bed arrives.  My work is never done, and I'm working harder than I do at work! The good news is I'm finally sleeping image

• hash macaroons Maam?
    I'm ok - had the day off yesterday (was planned) but ended up baking for my dad some of my famous cheese straws.  super cheesey and very very bad for you!!
    This morning, I did a 5 mile run at 6am today before work, which was great. I really need it at the moment.  Was chilly but great in my long sleeve top, hat and gloves!  i much prefer running in cooler climates than in the heat.  I'm terrible in the heat anyway - I'm ok on a beach but having to actually do anything I find super draining.

Stewart that run of yours sounds great.  I actually quite like hills now - I used to hate them but they make you so much stronger (as does spinning - anyone taken it up yet?)
    Silver - have you considered selling treadmills in your spare time - I reckon you'd get a good commission!!  I think it is an ideal addition to your running - especially those days when you do go travelling and get home late - perfect for a quick wind down or 20 minute session!  Has Mrs Silver had a little trot on it yet do you think?

Going back a few months - what mileage is everyone going to achieve in November?  I've signed up for 80 again though last month I managed 91 and the two months before that I was up over 100.... it won't be this month - no big race to prep for so my sunday runs are a bit shorter......

• Em - sounds like you've had a lovely rest day and a nice wake up run. 

My running target is NIL still, physio has said a straight no running for me yet, knee not strong enough or stable enough.  I am planning on getting out on the bike but will be only little bits as my knee can cope with.  My Novemeber aim is just going to be getting my diet back on track (well all bar the magnum in the freezer calling my name).  It's odd coz I eat great when exercising, but eat like crap when I'm not image Must do better or I'll pile back on the pounds.  Going to get back into my sit ups too image

So far today I've build a bookcase and done some general housework.  Now just to fill the bookcase, but feeling more like making cup cakes, but that goes against the healthy eating bit.  Also nerves are kicking in again as today is the revised closing date for the job app I've put in. 

Need more money too, to finish the changes I want to get through for Christmas. I've already eyed up £125 worth of curtains!!! Plus bedding, bed, bookcase.  That's before I finish Christmas shopping.  I just need to win the lotto, about a million would be nice, here is to fingers crossed for tonights Euromillions image

Looking forward to hearing what targets you have all set image

• Your runs sound amazing Stewart. Am very jealous. Most of my runs involve an Industrial Estate image

Wish I could motivate myself to run more of a morning like you do Em. I managed it once last week and its great once you get going but I struggle with the getting out of bed bit image

I am keeping up the base building with all my runs slow this month. Did 111 in October so would hope to reach 125 in November.
  • Stripes - that is an awesome target, good luck image

• Cheers Maam. Have been reading lots of stuff on here written by some very well informed people and they all seem to agree that you can't do too much easy paced running. Did 9.64 miles today at my slowest ever pace. I spent the whole run arguing with myself that I should be going quicker but felt great after.

Good luck with the cycling. What kind of bike do you ride?
  • Sounds like you are doing things the right way stripes, hope it all goes well for you. 

As for me, I'll be riding my OH bike when he sorts the tyres out and I get a helmet and padded shorts.  At the moment I've got one of those floor peddle things that physio recommend.  If I get on with cycling I might invest in my own bike but that is quite a way off yet as I've a lot of bad history, memories and luck when it comes to riding image This is fingers crossed for a fresh start.

• Hi All great mileage Stripes - don't know how you find time to get to the pub!

Ma'am will we be calling you Ms Pendleton soon? I'm planning a late night watching the US election results - sad I know but I love these big political events. Think it stems from my years in the US when Clinton was in power! Dirty bugger!!
  • Hi all,

Stripes impressive mileage, are you following a plan for your base building or just getting as many easy miles as you can? I would be interest to find out as I'm sort of doing the same thing.

Maam, Padded shorts are a must don't want you walking like John Wayne now!  Good luck with the cycling when it starts

Emma, I also don't pariculary like running in the heat, I much prefer it when it's colder, although I haven't really experienced freezing conditions, but I'm sure there will be a few of those coming around shortly.

Silver, glad your still getting a lot out of the treadmill, you'll be having a tready race with your dad soon

3.7 miles with Jog Scotlandthi evening, I had the pleasure of taking the group, easy pace tonight but I had to shuttle a fair bit, making sure everyone was ok, 41 mins 10:48mm

• Ha Ha Silver. I have actually cut the drinking down in the last few months but if Romney wins I may hit the ale again big time because with that idiots finger on the big red button anything could happen image

• Can't be worse than Reagan..... surely image

oh mileage for the month, I'm going to aim for 100