Pricing up an ironman event

I appreciate that this is a 'how long is a piece of string?' type question but I've been asked it by someone and I'd like to give them some kind of rough response.  Other people have also talked about cost implications on the forum in the past week or so.  So, I thought it might be just as well to do it via the forums than to sit with an excel file and miss stuff out.  I want to give a very rough guess (so not start an argument about how much a wetsuit costs for example!)

To help out the athlete in question (a pirate) wants to do Outlaw and has a bike already.  So, how much does it cost, roughly to do an ironman?  Right through from now, so including all training costs.

Some of the figures are a bit arbitrary and I've just potluck guessed at the top end.  I've started us off, please add what you think has been missed and add to the total.

Swimming
Costumes (2) - £50
Goggles (2) - £30
Wetsuit - £150
Pool/lake fees (3 swims a week, 40 weeks, £3.50/session) - £420

Cycling
Bike, helmet, shoes, gloves - owns already
Tubes, tyres, gas, servicing as required - £150
Aero bars & additionals eg profile bottles or rear mounted seat bottle - £100

Running
Shoes (assume some owned, will need 1 extra pair) - £75

Sundries
Entry fee - £225
Accommodation (based on travelodge type venue, 2 nights)- £80
Travel - £50
BTF day license - £5
Body glide (3) £30
Nutrition & energy drink (40 weeks, guess at £10 a week to balance out and to include both bike and run) - £400

Potential extras
Replacement clothing as required - £200
Physio/sports massage (based on 1 massage per month 10 @£40) - £400
Lead up half distance event (comprising £100 entry, £100 accommodation/travel) - £200

TOTAL  £2565

Comments

• You've left out the kit to actually race in: trisuit, or shorts & top.  I assume that 'costumes' listed under swimming is just something to train in in the pool?

• Yes, she's raced already so she owns kit.  The costumes and goggles in swimming and shoes in running are replacements for items that are likely to wear out during the year whereas cycle/run shorts, tops etc she already has.  I have put £200 at the end in potential extras to cover extras that may arise.
  • Interesting. I guess a lot depends on how much you train and what experience you've had.
    Just to show that its not AS expensive if you've already got some kit and experience for me this year its something more like

Swimming
    Costumes not needed - had one
    Goggles already had
    Wetsuit - 7 years old and fading rapidly.
    Pool/lake fees Only swam open water once a week when season began - at £5 a time -so £60 or so

Cycling
    Bike, helmet, shoes, gloves - owns already
    Tubes, tyres, gas, servicing as required - dont waste money on gas - get a decent pump. Servicing should be minimal if you look after the bike. Maybe £60 on new tyres.

Aero bars & additionals eg profile bottles or rear mounted seat bottle - £35 got some new tribars for my bike at a bargain cos I use the old undersized bars.

Running
    Shoes - even starting off with one pair - I've probably bought another three sets at least ? £150 ?

Sundries for Outlaw specifically
    Entry fee - £225
    Accommodation (based on travelodge type venue, 3 nights)- £180 for a family room prob.
    Travel - £50
    BTF day license - £5
    Body glide (1) £10
    Long necked rash vest £10 - buy this and wear under wetty and save money on bodyglide.

Nutrition & energy drink - more like cake fund for a lot of my year - get the miles in steadily. No need for fancy bars and powders until you're doing big mileages. Flapjacks or gingermen in a bento box seem to work for me. £2 a ride maybe - so 40 week = £80.
    Just have water for runs and gels when I run more than 15 miles - so thats negligible....

Potential extras
    Replacement clothing as required - £200 (prob more - you can never have too much kit)

Physio/sports massage never had a sports massage. I'm a wuss.
    Lead up half distance event (comprising £100 entry, £100 accommodation/travel) - £200 Will prob do Bala so you need to add another £50 on for cake and coffee bills for the family.

TOTAL £1360

(still not cheap so dont tell my wife)
  • Ah OK, that makes sense.  Mind you, some of those costs will happen anyway, as I doubt that the alternative to doing Outlaw is sitting on her arse all summer (although without knowing who it is, I could be very wrong).  Are you after the cost of doing Outlaw in total, or the cost over and above what said pirate normally spends on swimming, cycling & running?
  • I only used one swimsuit and one goggles for all my first IM training.

i would think you could cut down thwe swim costs by buying a monthly plan for the pool over the winter/ spring months.........

never bought new tyres or gas....just spent a £10 on 3 new tubes for the year............

would never spend £40 on nutirion/drinks........only really needed for the long sessions.........spent atotal of about £30 this year.plus fig rolls are only 35 p a pack

only had 1 bodyglide as used  lubricating gel on body/saved the body glide for the neck

only spent about 330 on replacement clothing................

so  it can be done cheaper............but its not  a cheap hobby

• ebay is a good source to reduce some costs. lot of cycle shops sell reduced lots. I picked up a fully functioning Tacx turbo for £50... now, if only someone hadn't stolen my bike.....

• Cougs - thank you!  I'm completely stunned about how much money I *do* spend on swimming because I do spend £10.50 a week, each week.  It soon adds up!

Nutriton - agree with both.  That needs revising down.  I buy what's on offer in Tesco for my nutrition (very scientific!) so it tends to be things like Ginger Bake Bars or Rice Krispie Sqaures, Wiggly Worms and Fig Rolls with Fruit Pastilles for running but  I think I probably spend a bit more than £80 over the year (but less than £400).

Dave - not sure, I was opting for everything in total rather than that a person normally spends £10 a week swimming already.

Frodo - got a turbo.

Hopefully she'll post shortly, I feel a bit daft talking about her in the third person now.

imageimage

• ATOM - the weight of your bike would have only broken it.

• the weight of me would've broken it!
  • ATOM.I will buy the turbo off you then if you ain't got a bike image
  • I'd throw in an extra catagory in the bike section for cleaning/maintenance products.  Cleaning the chain and gears can help prolong the life you'll get out of them.  

I'd also include some money for other events prior to the big day.  I've found sportifs this year to be very helpful in getting me out of the door for those loooong rides, you could argue that this cost is already built in as you'll be eating/drinking what they provide.  I'll probably do a spring marathon (again, forces me to actually get out and train). 

• seren, somebody's looking after it for me (just in case I decide to buy a replacement bike at some point in the next decade)
  • ... and I'd also include some sort of contingency.  You may break a spoke/wheel/need a new cassette and chain or you may need physio (the only obvious ones I can think of off the top of my head).
  • I wouldn't play down the nutrition bit too much to be honest. It's surprising how it all adds up!

I can't think of anything to add, other than it looks like I'm going to have to sell a kidney! image

• I ceratainly spent more than  £30 on nutrition in the year leading up to IM Austria, I would guess a average of 3 gels a week at  £1 each or about  £120, plus sports drinks around 1 tub of powder per week at  £4 each or another  £160, Total somewhere around  £280.

Build up events was a easy further  £400.

Physio was about 6 visits or  £240

Swim coaching / masters was another  £250

In one year your going to go through a least 2 pairs of shoes  £150

Bike parts, i changed 1 chain, 1 cassette and destroyed two tyres so another  £150

So thats about  £1470 before entry / travel / extra kit. I'm not going to say what the whole expereince cost me but it was well in excess of that

• I think that's steep, Mouse, unless she's wanting to be at the pointy end.

Bin the massage
    Bin the commercial warm-up event - practise transitions in your garden... everything else is training miles
    Camp rather than hotel
    Easily halve that nutition budget. Any old sugary tutt will do until April
    Bin the Bodyglide - Can't an iron-distance athlete cope with a bit of rubber rash? And three tubs? i've had the same one for two years and I usually forget to put it on
    3 OW swims a week is a bit spicey, isn't it?
    Bin the fancy-dan drinking systems for the bike
    Source your swimming goggles from the Lost Property bag at the gym. They always have loads of decent pairs of Predators and Aquaspheres
    Buy all your clothes and accessories from Lidl or Aldi

There you go. I reckon I've saved you the neck-end of £1,200... which is enough to buy a Zipp Disk wheel (second hand) or a Power Tap hub. As somebody said - not a cheap hobby, is it? But that's probably just as well. Imagine how far down the field you'd finish if it was?

• image Mouse I don't know which pirate this one is but have think I might know who it is. I'm sure they would be able to get a bit off kit off other folks and other help to keep the price down. The biggest cost they might have is the wetsuit and e-bay or ex-hire suits will be less than £150. If it's who I think it is I'm sure that they can get a bed in Nottingham without using a hotel.
  • Just one point - that's all swimming not just open water - so that's 3 swims a week at £3.50 a swim (which is how much it costs to get into our local pool).

• STIL - the massage and extra events were only potental extras in the first place but I think you have to have some contingencies in there for bike bits/services in case you ruin your tyre or need a new chain/cassette.

Cougs has got it down to under £1.5k but some others have added numbers back in.  So maybe between £1,250 and £2k.

Cake - yes, quite.  As I say, it's only a rough price up and I wanted to aim high to avoid surprises.

I think putting it on here is valuable to get other people's opinions - some people think nutrition costs are low, others higher.  Same for the bike running costs.

• Cake, I imagine any girl can get a bed in Nottingham without using a hotel, but I'm sure she ain't that kind of woman image
  • image If it's who I think it is she arn't that kind of woman and very much a lady. She's helped me out in the past and I have a few mates who would be willing to put folks up down there if I asked. Only reason I don't mention this on the outlaw threads is because it would be taking the mick to ask if they could put us all up.

• If you commute to work to get your cycle miles in there can be a big credit the other way.  My commute is 19 miles each way so every day I cycle rather than drive will save me about £10.  Twice a week for 40 weeks and you have your entry fee, accomodation etc all paid for. image

• If you look after the bike by cleaning it when it's had a foul ride and degreasing and lubing the bike as necessary then costs can be minimal.

The costs do look high but in terms of cost per hour - work out very favourably.

Assume 6 hours a week or so and it's a bargain.

Trip to the cinema would be £20 or more depending on snacks and by training for IM you won't have time for the cinema. So you'll be ahead !
  • Nutrition is optional in the sense that you don't have to go for the brand name gels, drinks, bars etc.  You can get by with simpler stuff just as well as others have said.  The Outlaw entry this year included a big bag of gels & bars etc that was probably enough for the race anyway. 

Odd & sods: rack, roof bars if you can't get your bike inside your car.  Extra clothing for cycling in winter (lots of people don't normally so don't have overshoes etc).  Turbo indoors sorts that out though.  Similar for running, without the turbo option.  Number belt (Outlaw only gives out one number which kind of forces you to use one).  Socks - I get through running socks more often than shoes.  Impulse buys at expos (never underestimate the power of bling the day before a race).

• I found the nutition costs for gels racked up in the last couple of months.  I'm going to try and make my own drinks for a better part of the training this year, but really found the gels helped once i started doing 80 mile+ rides, so would be loathe to try anything else.  If you find something cheaper that works, that is brilliant though.

I haven't tallied up how much last years training and kit etc. cost....hate to think.  Outlaw should be much cheaper though as i've got everything I need (other than replacing anything that breaks/wears out and nutrition) so should spend less.  I'm hoping it pans out that way!!

• completely blatent highjack referencing the turbo questions earlier, I have just been offered one for same from someone at work. I have told her £50 will be a sensible price, its a

http://onixbikesonline.com/Tacx-Cycle-Force-1-T1480-Turbo-Trainer-P1539632.aspx

PM me if your are interested.
  • This is interesting.  I'd "negotiated" a £1000 budget for Outlaw from my supportive other half and I thought it would be loads.  But its not and I'm needing more.  I suppose some things could be done away with or got cheaper (bought a new turbo, could have got on ebay) and I'm wanting a bike fit and a few swimming coached sessions.  Then there's a turbo session every week at £3 etc etc.  Its the little  things that add up more than I'd thought.  I reckon with race costs, pirate jacket, accommodation etc I will be spending nearer £2,000.  So I'm damned well going to finish the thing after all that money!!! image
  • Regarding the cost for roof racks and stuff if the person can’t drive the cost in train fare can be very restrictive, espeally with a bike. While all the train companies have to allow free bike space some of them make it very hard to actually book a bike on the train. Not so much for outlaw it self but for any warm up races. There’s a few races that I’ve come across from other pirates that are just uneconomical to get to or inpossible because the nearest train station being 10 to 30 miles away and you can’t take a bike on most bus’s. Bala for example would be impossible for me to get to on public transport, so been a good thing that it fall’s on a weekend I’m working each year. Mouse if the pirate involved went for it, it would be a massive help if you where able to give any lifts. Depending on the race it could be used as a training ride to get there through. Having to cycle to Trentham half IM last year was a big confidence boost as well as good training for outlaw the same year.