Pricing up an ironman event

Comments

• Swimming costs me 120 pounds a year for unlimited access, with free coaching  Tuesdays/Thursdays from our tri club trainer. Would it not be possible for this person to find something similar with a tri club? Just a thought.

• Soupy - £3 a turbo session ? If you need to cut costs then its easy enough to do your own session. Plenty of plans around. But I understand that motivation of a group is also a big help.
  • Can't think of many things worse than a gym based spin session with Euro Pop blasting out and an over excited gym bunny who has never ridden on the road shouting at you to "come on push it" every few seconds. Think I will stick with my own turbo sessions and be £3 better off. 
  • Not all spin classes are like that. Mine are strangely similar to the turbo sessions I'd be doing at home anyway. image
  • i reckon I spent about £10k between entering and completing my first IM, but I do quite like shopping for stuff.
  • Mouse - I too think I have guessed who it is.  image

If the person goes ahead and does sportives etc as training, does (s)he need to factor in travelling costs ie petrol or public transport

Also, can't remember if travelling costs were factored in for travel to Nottingham? 

• cougie wrote (see)
    Not all spin classes are like that. Mine are strangely similar to the turbo sessions I'd be doing at home anyway. image
    Maybe just the gym at the pool I swim at.  Come out of Saturday's morning swim sessions to witness spin in one studio and Zumba in the other, both with horrendous music tracks and very excitable instructors- they make me glad to be a triathlete who can run over the moors or cycle the dales instead. 
  • oxymoron wrote (see)
    i reckon I spent about £10k between entering and completing my first IM, but I do quite like shopping for stuff.
    I may need to introduce you to my wife to put my spending into context!
  • The turbo sessions are run by my bike club in the club house over winter.  I've not been to one before but they are meant to be pretty good - nothing like a spin session in the gym.  I've always stuck to riding the track which is spooky in the dark cos I've never had a turbo till now  (you take your own) and the £3 includes tea and cake afterwards so its not that bad. Motivation is a big factor for me.

• At a rough guess from January to Sept:

Bike = £700
    Bike bits (shoes, pedals, spares) = £200
    Nutrition = £30 a month (£270)
    Extra food because Ironman made me hungry: £70 a month (£630)
    Shoes: £60
    Training clothes: £200
    Practice Events: £400
    Accommodation and travel: £400
    GYm membership: £30 a month (£270)
    Massage/coaching: £300
    Entry: £300

All in all I estimate the whole adventure probably cost me near to £4k.

One big cost saver I would do next time is to ditch branded warm up events and race nearer to home.
  • I budgeted around £2k for my first IM including the second hand carbon bike from ebay for £750, but not including training clothes and nutrition, which I would have bought anyway.

Physio bill took me over budget (stupid car crash and leg injury combo), but otherwise was pretty close to that. My swimsuit was £6 from Sainsbury's and has lasted 3 years. But that probably just means I should swim more, rather than it eing particularly hardwearing....image

• One other consideration but again arbitary... I started off at near to 14 stone. By race day I was 11st 10lb so quite a lot of money was spent on new clothes over the year.
  • Absolutely Ditchy, some of my expenses are what I would have spent anyway (swimming costs etc) which I would want to do IM or not. A bike fit and swimming coaching will benefit no matter and give me more enjoyment in the long run, a turbo trainer will make me a better cyclist which I want to be regardless etc etc.  So I'm justifying the costs as the price of enjoying a hobby and active lifestyle rather than the cost of an event alone. 

But the garmin edge 800 is complete luxury unnecessary expense that I'm treating myself to in addition. Just got promotion so I've earned it. image

• Congrats on the promotion Soupy! image
  • I was almost tempted with the idea of an Ironman until I read this!

And I have yet to buy a proper bike!!!  And that would need to go on top of the costs!

• BWT I tend not tothnk about the expence, swimming regularly over a prelonged period is probably the most expensive thing once you have a bike that is.

Assuming you are a runner any way you will have sufficiant kit ie shoes shorts tops. you don't have to have tri specific gear.unless you are at tthe pointy end.

I would say that nutrition is personal and no more than you would use if ou were training for a fast marathon. But each to there own, in my view alot of the stuff people say you need is part of the wierd triathlon psyche. After years of cycling long distances I never took gells untill I stated running and found out about them. Obviously they do help but it can be done without all the parifonalia.

I hope so cause i'm sknt most of the time and get by on what I can afford. The most important thing is the training not the bling.

• my monthly food shop doubled when i was training for IM last year, add in a second breakfast/lunch at work and i easily added about £100/150 a month in costs there. That said I didn't think about costs of IM and so have no idea how much it does/can cost, nor how much it actually cost me I'm a bit scared to work it out as it would be an excessive amount imageimage
  • It can be done very cheaply if you want

Nutrition for me was orange squash and either marmite sandwiches or maltloaf, so pretty cheap, could splash out on Aldi iso drink if wanted

Kit was mainly in place, pair of tri-shorts and a secondhand wetsuit for £50 covered the swim side

Bike needed a couple of new tubes and some gas, £30 maybe, needed a few more in IMCH but that's another story and a monaco at £35-ish from memory

Running shoes I had

Wanted a number belt too, £10?

Did a couple of practice events but in reality they weren't needed and could have been done at home

No need for massages

Travel to the event and hotels were the main cost but if it's a UK event that's a lot cheaper

May have spent a few ££££ on the after event beers
  • I've got a brand new number belt I can give away that's still in it's packet so that's £5 off the budget.

• Second season this year, so much cheaper, as kit already purchased, and only replaced worn out kit, rather than buy new kit. Nutrition was expensive though, energy gels for me on the bike, so needed to get a stock in to practice and get me through the day.

No warm up events either this year, one and only event was IM, which saved a shed load. Also swam more openwater in local rivers and a lake, which cut down on pool fees, which were already reduced, as rather than the three times per week Masters session, it was just one session per week, but just had to make it count.
  • Soup Dragon wrote (see)

The turbo sessions are run by my bike club in the club house over winter.  I've not been to one before but they are meant to be pretty good - nothing like a spin session in the gym.  I've always stuck to riding the track which is spooky in the dark cos I've never had a turbo till now  (you take your own) and the £3 includes tea and cake afterwards so its not that bad. Motivation is a big factor for me.

Soupy there is the same up here used to go everyweek but became to inpractical It's worth doing but don't forget it's supimentary to a decent training plan.
    Tommygun2 wrote (see)

I hope so cause i'm sknt most of the time and get by on what I can afford. The most important thing is the training not the bling.

The best thing said on the thread. imageimage
  • Hello!  I'm the aspiring ironperson.  Thanks for this thread Mouse and thanks to everyone else for your comments - lots of think about.

My position is that I've just bought a flat and have about £30/week to live on which has to cover everything in my life except household bills, food, and tri club swimming.  I will be doing extra weekend shifts to pay for my iron aspirations and want to make definitely sure it's viable and that I won't run out of cash close to the day, so keeping costs down is my priority.

.... oh and I'm not a pirate, although I know a fair few and sometimes swim in a cap kindly donated by one.

M.ouse wrote (see)

Swimming
    Costumes (2) - £50  I've got about 5
    Goggles (2) - £30     Probably about right - I get through them quickly
    Wetsuit - £150
    Pool/lake fees (3 swims a week, 40 weeks, £3.50/session) - £420  + lake fees £88, although pool swimming already factored in with household bills

Cycling
    Bike, helmet, shoes, gloves - owns already
    Tubes, tyres, gas, servicing as required - £150
    Aero bars & additionals eg profile bottles or rear mounted seat bottle - £100 I've never used aero bars - will they make me feel more stable on the bike as well as being more efficient?

Running
    Shoes (assume some owned, will need 1 extra pair) - £75  I need new road shoes but got 5 pairs of off-roads all current!

Sundries
    Entry fee - £225
    Accommodation (based on travelodge type venue, 2 nights)- £80
    Travel - £50
    BTF day license - £5
    Body glide (3) £30  I use coconut oil (£10)
    Nutrition & energy drink (40 weeks, guess at £10 a week to balance out and to include both bike and run) - £400  So far I've been making my own drinks - iso and recovery.  Nutrition at the moment is factored into my regular food bill.  I'll allow £200 extra.

Potential extras
    Replacement clothing as required - £200  I've got 2 tri suits; bike vest; tri shorts; running tops - should be OK except might need new tri/cycling shorts - £40
    Physio/sports massage (based on 1 massage per month 10 @£40) - £400  Have cancelled my monthly massages sadly due to mortgage; do plenty of self-massage, rollering, strengthening, stretching.  Physio as needed - ie recent calf pull £30 per sesh.
    Lead up half distance event (comprising £100 entry, £100 accommodation/travel) - £200
    New bike pump - £20 (Lezyne) (Already have small crap one and track pump)
    Bike box for train
    Bento boxes
    Under saddle bottle holder or storage?

Oh and I've got a heart monitor which I learned to use properly last night and a pirate has lent me a turbo which I've been getting good use out of.

So I make it £1,423 so far without costs of bike box, bento box and other storage on bike.

Also thinking I might need a session or 2 with a coach to sort out my training plan.  I've been lent the Friel & Byrn book but I don't know where to start - it's too technical for me!

TOTAL  £2565

• Hey Parky!  BTW i'm not ignoring your e-mail....just utterly crap at replying.  Glad to hear you're on here image  I know that I spent a fair amount last year, but that said, I could have got by on less.  I'm going to use my own nutrition a lot more, up until the really long bike rides, when I feel i need them (i.e. i work much better with than without). 

Sounds like you've got a fair bit of kit already, so the worst of the expenses are out the way.

Aero bars can be bought fairly cheaply, but worth trying to borrow some from someone to try them out.  I've got a really stiff back, and knew I couldn't sustain the aero position for long, so i didn't use them.  In hindsight I can see how it would have saved time, but it is worth more to be comfortable on the bike and able to ride 112 miles than aerodynamic with a back in agony and struggling to do the distance (irony of my dnf isn't lost on me whilst making that statementimage)

Allowing some cost for impromptu massage or physio isn't a bad idea..may prevent a long term injury if required image

• Good grief - and I moaned about the entrance fee!

• Don't forget though that most of this is initial outlay, considering that you will probably (almost certainly) join the annual Pirate ship outings and therefore do more IMs - they won't cost nearly as much because you'll already have all the gear!

(see how I crafty I am?)

• image Gym some folks have to live on baken beans to get the money for the entry fee. Your comments are unhelpful.
  • I'm wondering about the benefit of aero bars too.  Its not just the cost, but something else to worry about learning how to use. On the other hand, "free" speed is something I could do with. image
  • And Lee - your DNF was only because you got out onto the bike lap a bit late!
  • Sorry Cake image - I am living in blissful ignorance at the minute of just what the ironman experience is going to be like and just how much it is going to cost me.

I told a runner today how much it cost to enter and the look on their face was priceless.
  • No worries just need to keep it in context it’s not a case of HTFU or anything like that. Just the gorgeous lady working out if they can actually pay for the kit to do it. Once they’ve done that then the fun begins. image

Lee sorry chuck if didn’t know you DNF Regensburg till got mentioned by someone. Not looked at the Regensburg thread since had to drop out with family stuff. ((((hug)))) Next time gadget! image