Ballot Entry London Marathon has to CHANGE

Comments

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    It can't be entirely random - they need to make sure that everyone's not on in either pen 1 or pen 9 to ensure an even spread over the course, so I imagine they pre-sort by predicted finish times then do it in batches somehow.

that's what I was thinking. They always say for instance the Premiership fixture list is random but it can't be. They manipulate it so teams like Arsenal and Spurs don't play at home the same weekend

• On this site alone there were over 90 marathon distance races in the UK last year. The cheapest being about £10 and no ballot
    Dont get into London? do one of them ? DUH!
  • Artful Hen wrote (see)
    Squeakz wrote (see)

Got a ballot place every time I have applied so far, perhaps I should enter for you. image

Squeakz - you know how to make yourself unpopular, don't you? image
    My OH got a ballot place something like three times out of four, not consecutive, over maybe six or seven years, but still! 
  • Am I the only one who gets tired of the elitist claptrap that's get spoken every year? 

Make it fairer with a qualifying time - fairer for who exactly?  There is the GTA, what more do you want?

Have to have run a marathon before - why? For most non-runners, London is the event for them to do.  Why put them through the ordeal of doing another one before that?  The beaeuty of running is that it is an inclusive sport.  Many who run London may never run again, but just as many will.  Consider it a gateway race if you must.

Celebrities - ever noticed that they are on charity places and aren't actually paid to run the bloody thing, just throwing their name behind a charity to help increase their sponsorship revenue.

Have 2 races - one for us stuck up runners and one for everyone else.  If you can run a decent time, you can still run a decent time in VLM.  The numbers really don't change that.

It's the only one people have heard of - yes, it is.  Before anyone of us started, I suspect that most of us had only heard of London and New York.

There are loads of other marathons - yes there are.  But many people want the big city experience.  I've done a few and there is no way I would want to put in 4 months training to run a small field marathon.  I don't care how pretty it may be.

Sorry for mini rant, but it does get my goat.

• again I agree BDB image but there are many people who get a place in VLM and just do not take it seriously. I heard 3 people say at 10 miles that it was the furthest they have ever ran. I don't think people were saying a real fast time to enter rather more an official time from something just to show you will pay it the respect it deserves

• Picks up handbag.......eeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!

I totally except that VLM is a Mickey Mouse race and stay well clear. But if London want to claim to be the best "marathon" then it needs better quality. If it wants to be more like the Pride carnival then carry on.
  • i do wonder if you tick the "donate my entry fee to charity " box whether you have slightly less chance of getting in?? im being bah humbug because im postiitve after last years HUGE size small jacket that i didnt tick that box and yet today i recieve a commiserations mag and gigantic fleece!? i wonder if they have a box of "you lot are going to donate the money anyway so we wont give you a place" people......next year i will check and double check and triple check i havent ticked that box!!!
  • David - so what happens when then fail to treat the other marathon they get a place for with respect and the club that organises it gets complaints from regulars that they couldn't get a place because of some Jonny Come Latelys filling up the field?

VLM is product.  No one is entitled to have that product.  Lots of people want to buy it and all things considered, I think they do a reasonable job at getting the balance right. 

• One word makes all that so wrong-Charity Places(okay 2 words)
  • KK - it is an ordeal for a lot of people.  We forget just how hard it is to start out.  Of course, signing up for a marathon isn't the best way to start but since when have we all done things the sensible way image
  • Its not hard to get a GFA time really.any midpack club runner could get one.......

I think London is what it is.........a big race at the front end for those wanting to see the top runners.....and then a big fancy dress party for the crowds entertainment further back.......I think the boring bit for specvtators if the middle group of club runners........

why complain about it .it is what it is........and it does get lots of people into running.........i personally don't care if I don't get a place and someone does who doesn't take it as seriously as me.....and hasn't trained enough..............probably those who are running 100 miles a week think that if I took it more seriously and trained like them I could do a lot better........

david not sure what you say about the respect it deserves..............in the end its just a another race.not life and death....and its the same distance if travelled in 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 or 8...........

if everyone gave it the respect it deserves the 40.,000 people all finishing under 3 hours would cause a hell of a lot of congestion

• SR/NLR - I guess the charity place debate is a big bit of people's beef with the race.  I honestly don't have a problem with it.  Again, I refer to my comments about product.  VLM can sell their product to whoever they want.
  • This is funny! Every year, the same happens. All of a sudden, when rejections/acceptances are out, the RW forum gets really busy and you can find 100000's of threads about the same thing... I got in, I didnt get in.... blah blah blah

....tired and grumpy.... image
  • So who owns the London Marathon?(genuine question) Virgin sponsor it but it isn't their race. Do they have shareholders? Does it make a profit? If push came to shove who would have the final say?
  • If people are not happy then they should just go and organise their own London marathon.............the charity runners make it the event it is.........all those people lining the streets are looking at the celebs and the fancy dress runners and those at the back who are suffering but still moving forward.........after they have admired the front runnwers whizzing past.......

they are not interested in a bunch of average club runners sweating and struggling for another PB.......

• Well at 25 and female you have to break 3.45(I might be out of date with this) but you still have to break 3.45 at 49. Is this still the same?
  • I can see both sides. Perhaps that is why they have just settled for a "randomish" ballot

seren nos wrote (see)

david not sure what you say about the respect it deserves..............in the end its just a another race.not life and death....and its the same distance if travelled in 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 or 8...........

if everyone gave it the respect it deserves the 40.,000 people all finishing under 3 hours would cause a hell of a lot of congestion

mmm but do you think that a person who gets in does a couple of runs and then drops out after 10 miles deserves their place? Tricky one

• It's 3:50 now. (Lon ladies gfa under-50s)

Boston is 3:55 for the over-45s wimmin (now: was 4h last year) but then they changed the 1st-come-first-served system to take-the-fastest-in-ag system this year, so you're still not guaranteed a place. I cunningly got a BQ time for the 2012 race by a whole 59 seconds and not surprisingly missed the cut. It was a bit cruel of them in the "sorry the other qualifiers were faster and we filled up with them" email, though, to tell me I would have made it if I'd been 15 seconds faster!

• I don't know who owns it.  It is a combination of charity and company that runs it.  There was scandal a couple of years back when it was revealed that the running costs were around 75% of the entry fees and GB places.  the remaining 25% goes to grants, charity donations etc.  Some of the people running it are very generously rewarded.  I've no idea how that compares to other event execs, or if 25% profit is a good level.
  • It's a case for who you want to keep happy and who you want to piss off. It's all opinions al fin del dia.
  • KK - i guess it depends on what demographic the organisers feel is under-represented ...
  • So has anyone else used Beachy Head to get their GFA time?

• It just opinion at the end of the day KK. I think a sub 4 marathon should be a minimum qualifier all round. Age shouldn't come into it. I'm going to get shot for this aren't I?
  • Doing Beachy in a few weeks but doubt if I trouble the top 3 as you did Phil. Just a jolly for me.