Ironman Wales 2012

Comments

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    why do you think we christened him Cheerful??  you will never ever see the bugger smile or acknoweldge you on the course - once his race face is on, it stays on.  that became clear when I met him at his 1st pirate outing at Cambridge Tri, a few years ago now - hence the name. other than that he's a lovely fella.....  image

This I have to admit is true - my race photos do include a few with a grin on my face, but plenty with the race face on, to be fair.

Mind you, having seen STIL's race pics, in the whole pirate canary outfit complete with armwarmers, I can't understand how I missed him.  Maybe he was running alongside someone with a more attractive backside at the time. image

• Top report STIL great to meet you all over the weekend.The crowds were amazing in Tenby.Amazing support in Saundersfoot also which spurred me on up the hill
  • Hokori wrote (see)

Fantastic race report STIL. I cheered you up on your chute run w/o u glancing my way so was that payback on what happened to you?.

Did you really, my friend? Apologies. I was in my own little world by then.

The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

You t**t, is it my fault every time you saw me, I was doing the uphill and you where on the down hill!!!!

That is a fair point, but you wouldn't expect me to make it, would you? And that swim of mine consisted of the Lazy River and a few runs down the slides at Blue Lagoon!

Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Mind you, having seen STIL's race pics, in the whole pirate canary outfit complete with armwarmers, I can't understand how I missed him.  Maybe he was running alongside someone with a more attractive backside at the time. image

Unlikely, but I guess it's scientifically possible. You were coming out of the feed station on the hill up to Hedges. My greeting would not have been especially coherent.... "Bleugh... cough.... Dave" or something like that.

• Cracking race report Slower, an inspiration and setting the standard. Don't want to be the slowest ex BS iron man athlete

• Now get that bloody avtar changed!!!!

• Oh yeah, and can someone please remind me never to spend time with Barley as soon as he has finished an IM. 

After listening to his incessant nattering for 90 mins I finally told him to shut up and go to sleep, at which point I got the answer 'i have hardly had any conversation for 15hrs and 46 mins: I need an outlet for everything that I have not been able to say'

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

After listening to his incessant nattering for 90 mins I finally told him to shut up and go to sleep, at which point I got the answer 'i have hardly had any conversation for 15hrs and 46 mins: I need an outlet for everything that I have not been able to say'

I am so with him on that one, Mrs SA and jordy wanting to get some sleep, but me just wanting to talk about the day

• Pebble 2 wrote (see)

This was before you returned mid race for a " best 10mins of the day" toilet stop at your hotel.. image

Is that an euphemism image Respect!

The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

But you wouldn't have me any other way!

image Absolutely

• Stunning report, well done all, to those that didn't, pirates bounce well, that come

back is inevitable ????
  • Iron Muffin wrote (see)
    Pebble 2 wrote (see)

This was before you returned mid race for a " best 10mins of the day" toilet stop at your hotel.. image

Is that an euphemism image Respect!

Contrary to all Twitter allegations, there was no replay of Outlaw morning in either T2 or lap two of the run image

• I can confirm lap two of the run, as they were chaperoned but cannot confirm T2.

I was the underdressed friend at the top of the 'ill by the way.  Never going to support at IMW in my bikini again.  Tsk.

Fab report STIL.

I had  a great time supporting you all.  Schmunks had the best hotel room ever.  It really was very well situated for supporting.

• The hotel room support was brilliant.
  • excellent report STIL.

for those lanza bound,

1. I did IM wales last year with a bike of 6:22
    2. I did IM lanza this year with a bike of 6:01

Lanza looks a bit quicker* 

• obviously weather comes into it -  windy really day on lanza would have a big effect......
    • i think there is more climbing in Lanza, but its (mostly) less steep - it just goes on a long time.
    • the fast bits of lanza are very fast
    • you can carry your speed a lot better than IMWales - Wales seems to have a lot of T junctions at the bottom of every hill

Hope that helps

• Stanners, my friend, given that the other ex Broadsystem IronMonkey is the distinctly aerodynamic and slippery Tim "8:50 PB" Bishop, I think you're wise to see me as the low-hanging fruit.

So nobody else saw Big Mac from Casualty? Have I won the "Most Vaguely Famous Spectator spot"?
  • I saw him too, there are some nice photo's on Tenby Cycles FB page including one of Big Mac and some other Piratey celebs...

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

I am so with him on that one, Mrs SA and jordy wanting to get some sleep, but me just wanting to talk about the day

My fault I'm afraid.  Mrs SA, Jordy, Schmunks & mouse had all had to put up with me yakking on about the race while we waited for you two to come past.  I'm not surprised they'd had enough.

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Great report STIL.

ITB - you've got the Outlaw under your belt, and you'll learn from IMW, ready to smash Lanza. And you've got the TVXC league to look forward to, I expect to see you for tea and cake after Datchet!

On the plus side my swim times are getting quicker and I am still the fastest in my family.

Iron Cat5 I am no longer a member of that running club, so this year the new club I I am in is doing a different XC league, hopefully they have post race cakes.

• race report.

Headed down to registration on Friday morning to collect a snazzy new backpack with my race numbers in and I then had a good mooch around the stalls inside expo. Decided on an impulse purchase of a cap to wear on the run leg which would I justified to myself by saying it would either keep the sun out of my eyes or shield my face from the rain. After this was done I had a wander round Tenby acquiring some powerbar gels fromHolland??and Barrett as I had forget to get them in advance. Had some lunch then headed down to the practice swim session at half 1. Swim went well as there was no wind and the sea was calm, I have swum in rougher lakes and was hoping this would be the case on Sunday. Did two laps. Gained quite a lot of confidence from this although I had to be redirected on the second lap as I was swimming straight into the side of a boat.
  • Saturday????- Racked my bike after fighting to secure the sensor for my cycle computer on the forks for about ten minutes I decided to sack it off as I began to get increasingly frustrated. After a lot of huffing and puffing I hung my bike and run bags on the hooks after treble checking I had put everything in that I needed. Exited transition I decided to check where to put my number tattoo and was told it was left leg; I had it in my head it was right arm so glad I asked this. Spoke with a Pirate lady called Sue and wished her all the best.??The rest of Saturday was mainly spent relaxing after going out for Lunch (a big plate of Spag Bol). Evening meal in Saundersfoot where the only real choice to carbo load on the menu was again Spag Bol so it was a double Spag Bol day. The first one was nicer at Carew Inn.??Went to bed at??22:00 ??but didn???t sleep well waking nearly every hour. This wasn???t helped by the fire alarm briefly going off in the early hours.
  • dont know why the question marks are there oops.
  • Race Day??Woke up at??3.50 am ??like a zombie and forced down to porridge pots eaten with a tea spoon. Had a brew got my kit together and set off at 4.45 from Saundersfoot. Drove up the climb out of Saundersfoot hoping I would be going up it again on the 2nd??lap of the bike. Arrived at Transition for around 5.15 after faffing about trying to work the payment machine at the car park in the dark. I put my bottles on the bike and went to put my wetsuit on. At this point I was greeted by S.A who was well pumped up and gave me a big bear hug. We wished each other well before I put the wettie on and dropped my white bag off. At this stage I bumped into Slag and Button Mushroom. They will be able to vouch for how nervous I was from all the huffing and puffing I was doing on the way down to the swim start.??Swim went very well. Took a couple of whacks at the first turn due to the build up of people before managing to find clear water. First lap done in 35 minutes I was very pleased. Exiting the sea I had a slight cramp in my calf but managed to shake this off on the second lap. Second lap went well with less biff. Exited the water in 1.10 which was 20 minutes faster than my training time. Up the zig zag ramp I went taking my wetsuit off at the shoe pick up point and carried it to transition.??T1 was 14.26 went right past my bag in transition then really struggled getting my arm warmers on. Suppose I should have practiced this before race day. Met Iron Pingu who was doing a sterling job. Quick toilet stop then out to the bike.??That cycle ride is a beast. Enjoyed the first 20 or so miles which were relatively flat in comparison to what was to come. Met Barley and STIL out on the course. STIL was sorting his bike out from a mechanical just near Angle; we exchanged a few words before he went on his way. Crowds throughout the bike were brilliant especially in Narberth, Saundersfoot and Tenby. Also a big thanks to all the people out on the more rural areas who were stood or sat by the road cheering us all on even in the wind and rain. I have never heard so many cow bells in my life. Just past the aid station at Lamphrey up the hill I was getting a gel from my bento box and veered to the side off the road for a comical topple over into a hedge. Luckily no harm was done other than embarrassment. Then panic approaching Narberth on the first lap I suddenly noticed that my pump had fallen off my bike somewhere cue panic mode praying I didn???t puncture. I had a canister in my bike bag but previous occasion using these haven???t ended well so I was fearful that my race would be over with a puncture.????The climbs up Wisemans and Saundersfoot were brutal but that support was amazing on the first lap and it really spurred me up the hill. I felt like I was in the Tour De France it was fantastic. Second lap I began to slow and the hills were really painful second time around in the cold and rain. Bike done in7.34.58 .??T2 racked the bike and had no problems finding the bag this time around. Quick change before scoffing down so home made Bara Brith that my girlfriend had made which worked a treat. Another toilet break and then out on the plod. T2 07.02.??The run course was sadistic with that climb out to New Hedges. First two laps went well at a steady 9.30 minute mile pace, walking through the aid stations with a planned cola, water and gel. Great Pirate support everywhere. Thanks go the Smuncks,Mouse ,Muffin and Mrs SA and Jordy who were top top supporters. Going past the hotel room with the pirate flag hanging out of the window was class. My family kept moving so it was a surprise as to where I would see them stood on each lap. On the second lap I sighted SA who was running well back intoTenby and I greeted him with a rather loud shout of YESS!! as he was going well. Passed Slag and STIL also both of whom were going well. Last two laps I slowed dow
  • I have put my race report up on my blog site, sorry its a bit of a long read

http://www.sadouble.blogspot.co.uk/

• Has Bobby missed the cut-off? Somebody's given him the hook in T3 image.

• apologies for the strange question marks that my phone has decided to put in whilst pasting the report on her
  • SA - dog, you don't half blather image   nice one son....

• Dammit SA you made the room go all smoky ;0)
  • The run course was sadistic with that climb out to New Hedges. First two laps went well at a steady 9.30 minute mile pace, walking through the aid stations with a planned cola, water and gel. Great Pirate support everywhere. Thanks go the Smuncks,Mouse ,Muffin and Mrs SA and Jordy who were top top supporters. Going past the hotel room with the pirate flag hanging out of the window was class. My family kept moving so it was a surprise as to where I would see them stood on each lap. On the second lap I sighted SA who was running well back intoTenby and I greeted him with a rather loud shout of YESS!! as he was going well. Passed Slag and STIL also both of whom were going well. Last two laps I slowed down and walked up the hill out of town and ran back down. Had a chat with Barley just past the aid station at the top of the hill. It was at this point he said I could go under 14 hours if I stopped talking to him and started to run again??J,with this I started a gentle plod again. Running back through town I was gutted to see Button Mushroom in his hoody and jeans. He said he messed up on the run, chin up big man you will smash it next time.Last lap was such an amazing feeling gaining the coveted pink armband. I took my time with more walking than running to be honest. Thanked pretty much everyone on the aid station and marshals. There was also a copious amount of high fiving the kids around the course. Entered the finishing shoot on my own which was such an amazing feeling. Zig zagging across the red carpet high fiving as many people as possible. I also managed to run past my family and girlfriend but managed to just sight them out of the corner of my eye so turned around and stopped for an emotional hugging session thanking them for all the support and putting up with my moaning during training. Crossed the line after leaping about in the air like a lunatic with the announcer saying ???There???s one excited Ironman???. I had done it in a time of??13.53.18 . Such an amazing feeling and relief just washed over me. I had such an amazing time and am so glad that I joined the ship of fools. Such a privilege to race in the yellow and black and the support is awe inspiring. Thanks to all whom I met on the day and over the weekend. Thanks to Tenby.??I don???t ever think I will do that course again and probably picked one of the hardest to do my first IM but every moment of pain and sweat was well worth it.
  • cracking report SA - great description of what the course and atmosphere is all about!

top performance too!  

• Great report Bobby, when are you free for a beer?

Be great to catrch up

• That sounds good to me SA we will have to arrange something.