Options

Ironman Wales 2012

Comments

• Options

Oddly enough, I never saw him at all.  I did see Slag's mum quite a lot, but as I recall she didn't have a beard.

• Options
    slowerthanilook wrote (see)
    /members/images/606899/Gallery/Didi.jpg

That's FB in Smithy's JW Little Devil outfit image

• Options

ferk me Barlist - I know I'm going grey but I've got a long way to got to get a beard like that.....

• Options

Ah yes, it was red last year, that was good

• Options

Fantastic reports there guys. It was a tough day at the office. This really is not as easy as it looks is it? image

So, as Rosey said, pirates bounce hard so ... next year I have Lanza & Wales to ride. It is a bit of a silly decision though as heavy cyclists should search for less challenging courses on the bike but these are the ones I wanted to do the most and Lanza is a Pirate outing anyway in 2013.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again!

edited: proof-reading of sorts

• Options

Fab race reports.....funny and interesting image Sad to hear of the cornish pasty fiasco....!! My ex fit but now 'mid forties with a gut' bro, and 'till fit but never raced in his life' partner, have been totally inspired by you lot....(I will blame you next year when they are the Iron man virgins having abandoned familes for months to train)....yes its you lot the guys with (ahem, tiny...) guts - who'v inspired them - ie those who are obviously normal blokes who like a beer (and a pasty) not some wierdo hyperfit twenty yr old...but you who still manage to get round....must be sheer will and a hefty dose of complete insanity...??

• Options
    Got home from work to an email with this on:

The Alternative Race Report for Bobby Nobby ?? Returning from registration with a rainbow of plastic bags for different things, Bobby Nobby set about littering the lounge floor with energy gels, cereal bars, his entire wardrobe of clothes & more pairs of trainers than I thought it was possible to own. After ramming things into the multicoloured bags, BN revealed the sticker sheet of numbers & various tattoo transfers. BN picked a random body part to stick each one to (most of which turned out to be incorrect), but then decided to check the next day back in Tenby. Next was rehearsing putting on his hat & arm warmers. Who knew it could be so complicated!?
  • Options
    The next day, BN & his faithful pirate supporter arrived at Tenby. Putting the wheel of the bike back onto the frame was a challenge. Not only was the spindley thing suddenly AWOL but then the wheel was catching on the brakes. Next the speedo computer fell off resulting in lots of puffing, panting & rolling of eyes. After giving up, BN handed over all the heavy transition bags to his faithful supporter while he leisurely pushed his nice light bike with one hand. His pirate version of a golf caddie juggled the heavy bags through the streets of Tenby to transition. BN went into transition to rack his bike & attempted to reattach the speedo. Again, there was puffing & panting trying to get the speedo in place followed by BN getting completely tangled in the bike cover. After struggling for a few minutes trying to put the cover on sideways, a helpful steward came to his aid & pulled the bag over the bike with one swift move.
  • Options
    A carb filled afternoon followed, with BN having endless debates with himself about nutrition (What gels to carry? How many? Which bag to put them in?), his etiquette in feed stations (Pepsi? Water? Bananas?), walking/running plans (Walk up hills? Walk through the feed stations?), what to wear when (Arm warmers? Hat? Gloves? Suncream? Sunglasses? Jacket?), what he had put in each bag (Was it the red or blue one with those shoes in?)...! That evening, a very jittery BN asked his pirate caddie to become a tattoo artist by applying his transfers to thecorrect??body parts (after checking earlier on in the day). BN became very concerned when the transfer showed some slight cracks when contorting his arm into the most unnatural positions (which I???m sure do not feature in swimming, cycling or running ??? possibly gymnastics though). He posed in front of the mirror in different positions monitoring the tattoos as he moved to check how they looked. He jumped into bed & fidgeted, flapped the duvet about, sighed & groaned for most of the night. At??3:50am ??the lamp came on blinding his faithful pirate caddie/tattooist. BN boiled the noisiest kettle in the world & made some porridge pots which he shovelled in with a tiny teaspoon, complaining as he ate. He then set about getting ready to leave & realised that one shoe had gone missing. He gave up looking & settled for (yet another) different pair of trainers. He left his pirate caddie/tattooist in bed & headed off to the swim.
  • Options
    The pirate caddie/tattooist arrived at the beach at??6:30?? to watch the start of the swim & took on her third & fourth roles ??? photographer & camera woman. The swim was amazing & BN came out of the sea in an amazing time. The pirate caddie/tattooist/photographer/camera woman then adopted yet another role ??? motivator. Spotting BN as he ascended the slope for the run to transition caused the pirate supporters to shout crazily at him, egging him on up the hill.
  • Options
    The next time the pirate caddie/tattooist/photographer/camera woman/motivator saw BN, he was beginning the ascent up the hill in Saundersfoot. He flew up the hill so quickly that the photographer role was forgotten & the moment was missed! Back to Tenby for the run. BN was going strong & his pirate caddie/tattooist/photographer/camera woman/motivator took pictures & shouted words of advice to ???keep going??? & ???stop walking, start running???. He was doing an amazing job, keeping brilliant pace but on lap 3 the pirate caddie/tattooist/photographer/camera woman/motivator became a bit worried as the pace dropped & BN???s head visibly dropped. BN plodded past looking uncharacteristically down in the dumps. After urging him of, the pirate support team headed to the finish line, eager to welcome BN to the finishing chute. Time ticked by very slowly & the pirate supporters frantically checked the online tracker to check that BN was still on the move. Eventually, BN appeared at the end of the chute & the pirate caddie/tattooist/photographer/camera woman/motivator took on her final role ??? crying, proud girlfriend. BN was amazing to the very end, finishing in a crazy flourish of hops, skips & jumps (giving the official photographers a hard time to get a frame of him). A very sweaty kiss was given to the pirate caddie/tattooist/photographer/camera woman/motivator/crying, proud girlfriend & she realised that every minute of the training related complaining, nutrition debates, etiquette in feed stations, outfit decisions and being allocated multiple roles had been worth it. ?? BOBBY NOBBY, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!
  • Options
    *phone has added annoying random ??'s again grrr.
  • Options

That's class BN

You should get your gf to do all your race reports from now on image

• Options
    Oh I like that report. A lot. Nice one to Bobby's tattooist/supporter/caddie/photographer/motivator/proud girlfriend.

That's the best so far!!
  • Options

fantastic reports guys and an awsome effort on the day by you all finisher or not,watched the bike with my two sons just up the hill from the bridge in carew ,big thanks to all the pirates for responding to my 9yr olds "yaaarrrrsss" top effort ,18months ago hardly anyone in the area knew what an ironman was ,now its a huge event for us and will only get bigger.btw big mack from casualty is tenby born and raised actor charles dale who's dad runs dales record shop on the high street.

• Options

Bobby's tattooist/supporter/caddie/photographer/motivator/crying, proud girlfriend.............brilliantimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    A race report from a supporters perspective! Ace. imageimage
  • Options

Yes agree that supporter race report was great, well done to BN's girlfriend image

• Options

Well done to Mrs BN! (and to BN, of course image).

I'm not going to do a full race report, because it would just be too boring compared to the brilliant ones that have already been posted. But I do recall a few interesting bits...

• Finding Barley sitting in the ground in transtion during bike racking, surrounded by paraphernalia, and refusing to be distracted by cheery greetings!
    • Mad last minute swim course change, meaning no-one was completely certain where to go, and producing a log-jam of breastroking and treading water a few minutes into the race.
    • Much less wind on the bike course to start with, so a pleasant first lap.
    • Increasing wind, hills, and finally rain as the bike leg went on - but passing a few pointy helmets and aero wheels on the way.
    • Pingu being amazing in T2 and me almost ignoring her...
    • Executing my slow start and high Power Horse intake strategy during the run, and finding it worked!

Overall, and I'm sorry if this upsets some, but I think the course was about 30 - 40 mins faster this year. The swim was flatter (though for me the carnage at the start probably cancelled that benefit out). The bike was a lot less windy to start (and through the most exposed section to Angle), though the longer we were out there, the more the wind picked up, and you had to slow down a bit when it got wet. The run was even shorter than last year, and without the horrendous bandstand section I think we had it 10 or 15 mins easier.

Still a great event, with fantastic supprt, and once again really well done to all who took part and supported image.

• Options

Brilliant report from BN tattooist/supporter/caddie/photographer/motivator/proud girlfriend.

Joddly - I think the swim was short and the run definitely was.

• Options

emailed recived, it will be on TV channel 4 This Sunday 6:35 am

• Options

Booby's girlfriend rocks. Hilarious report, well done image

Get her signed up along with BN snr.image

• Options

Just looked at the onlive version of the Tenby Observer.. nice little write up about IM Wales , but on the right is a poll ... with a choice of IMW is a - a Stunning spectacle or b- an unwelcome intrusion on the county .... sadly 71% currently say the latter image. I suspect this probably says more about the lives of some those that voted , than it being a true reflection of what the majority feel ... i hope so at least. its here if interested 

http://www.tenby-today.co.uk/news.cfm?id=33208&headline=Ironman%20Wales%20a%20stunning%20spectacle!

• Options

so I hope BN's tattooist/supporter/caddie/photographer/motivator/proud girlfriend is coming to Lanza?

Great reports.

• Options
    Thats such a shame isnt it Slag.Certainly the people who made an effort to support IM Wales on Sunday are appreciated by us athletes. A shame others dont feel the same way about the event and the benefits it brings to the area.
  • Options

I just checked the Tenby Observer website and the figures have changed to 50%/50% on the poll 'stunning spectacle or unwelcome intrusion'....they probably only had 10 people actually vote originally, who were all obviously miserable buggers....think the publicity for a tourist orientated county must be worth an absolute fortune and thus help the local economy a heck of a lot? Presubably some Ironmen and their supporters actually buy their pasties etc in Tenby, so big boost there too? Its only a small town to have 1500 competitors and supporters descend!

• Options

Just voted to redress the balance a little - it's an awesome event.  One of the best experiences ever - and aside from a little added detritus on the course in 2011, the locals were all amazingly friendly and welcoming - kind of felt a little like a superhero image

• Options

Fab race reports peeps. image

• Options

Watching IMW on the tele just now has only confirmed what I thought on the day.  That French guy that won is well fit!