Options

Plantar Fasciitis a year later

13»

Comments

• Options

Thanks for that info HW.

Having read it I feel inclined to remove the plaster ie sticking plasters strapping the physio applied on my last visit it to him

• Options

Cpt.. if you look through previous thread on here concerning PF injury you will see that I too have been suffering from it for nearly 6 months now and just like you and the rest of us suffering to say I am feeling p ed off would be an understatement.

I have tried resting it, brought the night shoe, which I am still using, brought 2 books that were recommended

and although reluctantly now had 6 physio sessions at £40 a visit and I still can see no improvement so I might now knock them on the head.

However the support I have had on here as been just phenomenal and its been really appreciated.The books have also been worth buying as they both contain useful information and on your point about cycling which I too do it says that if you cycle rather than use clipless pedals you should use flat ones and use the flat of your foot as using the toes can exacerbate your PF problem so I hope that you find the info useful.

I will post this also on the other thread as well but I am now wondering whether it would cause any further damage to the PF if I bind it up with tape, which the physio did on my last visit, and as this relieves the pain and start to at least go for short runs.As anyone tried this !

This must also be the worse time of the year to be unable to run because of an injury because the papers are full of how to get fit in the New Year and as we all know there is no finer way of doing this than going for a run.

Happy New Year everyone and may it be injury free.

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear you are still struggling Ted, my PF has largely cleared up (for now, fingers crossed, touch wood etc) although a prolapsed disc following a cycling accident is hampering my training. It's gentle and short runs only and only when the pain allows it. For me, cortisone (x2), rest, I don't run from August to late November and some custom orthotics seem to have worked.  The comeback is slow though, I've two races coming up, a half in late February and a marathon in late April, both are getting tight now as I'm only up to 20 mpw at best. 

Interestingly cycling didn't seem to make it worse, I use clipless pedals, SPD's on my MTB and SPD-SL on my road bike, both with stiff soled shoes and it seems ok. 

• Options

Graeme good to  hear from you and apart from the prolapsed disc learning that you are doing ok.As you know having a PF injury is such a pain in so many ways and I am stilldesperate to get back to running.I went out on the bike earlier and its one of those days weather wise that running would be so much more preferable so it only served to hi light my injury problem even more.

I am pleased to also learn that riding your bike with SPD pedals has not affected your PF injury contrary to what the book I brought says.But to be fair to the author I suppose we are all different and he is erring on the side of safety when it comes to  advice.

I am also still using the Night Shoe and each morning I wake up I just hope its the day when I am completely pain free but its yet to  happen.Stll fingers crossed its some day soon.

Because I have had a few physio sessions and even though I feel the physiotherapist has worked hard in trying to heal the problem I have decided to just continue doing the exercises he has given me and cancelled my next appointment.To be honest at £40 a session I needed to and if the problem continues to persist then I will try yet again going to a Podiatrist to see whether he/she can help me cure the problem.

Without a doubt in 2012 I will returning to running its just knowing when though is the problem.

Good luck with you races and let me know how you get on oh and make sure the roads are not icy when you venture out on the bike.

• Options
    Happy 2012 - and what a great one for London and the sporting world it should be!

Have been fairly busy recently so have just come on to see how everyone is doing. Welcome to the newbies!

Ted - glad you've seen Rob, not surprised about the strapping and acupuncture and hope that starts working for you. Now seeing he has been home to Oz explains why he hasn't replied to my update email!

I had two steroid injections a week ago and so far am not seeing much of an improvement image due to go back in Feb to see my consultant to see how everything is progressing. if injections haven't done much by then it looks like it may be surgery to lengthen my calf muscle to stop it from becoming so tight which should help things a lot. I was born very early so having very tight calf muscles on that side naturally probably doesn't help things and stretching doesn't seem to do a huge amount!
  • Options

Ka and Happy New Year and its good to read how you are doing but sadly it seems not very well.Did they give you any indication when they gave you the injections how long it might take before you see some sort of results from them.

Dare I say it some years ago now on a very cold morning I managed to damage my calf muscle when because of circumstances I sprinted prior to warming the muscles up and I ended up actually rapturing it.

Its so long ago now that trying to remember the specifics are difficult but it was that bad that I ended up with an appointment at Mayday Hospital and the doctor having examined it told me that the fibres were so small that repairing the damage would not be possible so I was surprised to read that you may be undergoing surgery.Anyway I somehow and I have always been terrible in not stretching before running so it cannot have been because I did that regularly that I was able to returning to running but I did.I think it could have been due to me starting off each run very slowly which allowed the muscles to stretch so I wonder whether stretching more often may help you.

With the PF Rob advised me to stretch it every hour but that has not been possible but I have definitely been stretching a lot more than I once did.However as you will have read even after Robs excellent work, and I hope that in my last thread it came across that I have no criticism of Rob, the injury is still with me and I just cannot afford to keep  receiving treatment.But it has been worth having the treatment because I now know what particular stretching exercises to do.

I can end with some positive information though because as I also stated in my last thread, I have as Rob did for me strapped my foot up and unbelievably yesterday I ran for 20 minutes and today I run for 18 minutes but on a hillier route.I was always a slow runner but these two runs were at an even slower pace but boy did it feel good.

I suppose the even better news is that as yet I am not suffering from any pain for having done this.

I have also ordered some Footlogics Comfort Insoles which will also hopefully help me overcome this awful injury.

As far  as I know Rob returns from Oz on the 12th I think so when you see him please give him my regards.Sadly we are shortly about to move to Eastbourne so if I should require a physio I will obviously need to find one who is closer to me. 

Keep us informed of you progress Kate. Regards Ted

• Options
    I had really bad PF a few years ago tried allsorts but nothing worked. I am quite tall and always wore flat shoes however after reading an article I bought some shoes for work that were wedge heels - I wore then regularly to stretch my arch/heel and can honestly say my PF completely disappeared and have had no problems with it since and now always wear a show for work that has a heel. Obviously this is easy for women to try but don't know what to suggest for men. I would definitely give it a try it worked for me.