Treadmill in a Shed

RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

I've got my treadmill in the main bedroom and it's starting to cause some marital tension... my wife is dropping less and less subtle 'hints' that she wants me to move it out into the shed. It's not quite got to the 'either that thing goes or I do' statement, but it's getting close ( and who knows, I may miss her).

Now the shed is pretty big (20ft by 12ft) and is made from 4x2 framing skinned inside and out so it's fairly stable. I already have my bike turbo and rollers set up in there, but I'm concerned that the constant pounding in one location will shift the base. It's laid on concrete blocks laid on compacted gravel.

If I have to do it then I'll probably reinforce the floor with some thick plywood sheets to spread the load as much as possible.

Anybody any experience of a tready in a shed ? 

Comments

• Sounds like the title of some comedy sketch show, lol.

You could always put some material down to help absorb vibration I.e rubber between the plywood and that would reduce vibration.
  • As long as you insulate the place properly she should be ok in the shed.

Perhaps you should avopid any "pounding" in there though?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I think you've been lucky to get away with keeping in the bedroom for so long!

• I disagree Wilkie.

I think its best that sort of thing is kept in the bedroom

• Why not just put the treadie on ebay, and run outdoors? image
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Wilkie, I do feel very lucky about what I've got away with in the bedroom up to now, but not sure what that's got to do with the treadmill.....

I do run outdoors far more often than on the tready, it's just handy on cold, wet winter's evenings or if I'm pushed for time.
  • addyladaddylad ✭✭✭
    Yay for shedmills!
  • Each to their own and everything, and I've no problem with people using treadmills if they want to. However, I'm struggling to see how it saves time.....

Doesn't a 40min run on the streets take the same length of time as a 40min run on a treadmill?
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    exiled claret wrote (see)
    Each to their own and everything, and I've no problem with people using treadmills if they want to. However, I'm struggling to see how it saves time.....

Doesn't a 40min run on the streets take the same length of time as a 40min run on a treadmill?

That's very kind of you EC, not having a problem with me using a treadmill....    image.

The point about saving time is that I can't really run where I live for safety reasons. I live in the middle of the countryside and all the local roads are winding, singletrack with no lighting or pavements. I won't run on them in the dark, even with a headtorch. This means I have to drive somewhere to run, either a local town to run around on the pavements, a traffic free park, a canal or some woods. Whichever I choose, it's a 20 min drive, 40 min run, 20 min drive, which turns a 40 minute run into an hour and 20 minutes and on days like today with severe gale force 9 turning into storm force 10 forecast, the tready is an absolute godsend.

Beside which, how else would I do 10km and watch the latest episode of Waking the Dead in the same evening ? ? ? image

• Fair enough if it works for you. I tend to do most of my running on roads much as you describe, and I've never felt vulnerable on them. However if you don't feel safe then you are not going to enjoy it.

Didn't mean to be patronising, just didn't want to come across all "anti-treadmill aggro" and wind people up. If it works for you then great. Personally I love the space and p&q when running, and whilst I'm not averse to the odd episode of Waking the Dead, being away from screens is one of the joys of running for me.
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Fair comment EC.

I still do somewhere over 90% of my running outside, I just like having the treadmill forwhen I need it. In reality it probably only gets used a couple of times a month, and that's normally just during the winter. It would be very rare for me to use it during the summer.