Options

VLM 2012 first timers???

Comments

• Options

lol, at those urinals and the cardboard funnels. They sound ermm. ... interesting at the least.

Fizzipop - how exciting you are one of the dancers for the olympic opening ceremony image. I had a fry up Monday morning, it was awesome.

I met up with my running club last night for social drinks. Our fastest guy came in in 210th place !!!! I was something like 27589th image. It was nice to see everyone and catch up with marathon stories because I still need my fix of marathon talk !! We are all agreed we are going in for it again next year, I'm lucky I will likely get a club place so we shall see.

• Options

And fizzipop your photos are lovely, how smiley are you ???  imageimage

*Note to self - smile more next time !!*

• Options

Fizzipop ....... exciting ! dancing at the Olympic ceremony, will look out for you image

female urinals, cardboard funnels ooooooh noooooooooooo not for me I am afraid, but respect for those that actually had a look at them ...... image

I am resting from running for a few weeks just for my knee to settle again and all the niggles that i had.  But bored already !!!

puts hand up to ask a question .... Kiwi - going to do a 10k at end of June, may be a daft question but would you build up gradually again for that, or what are my fitness levels going to be like after no running.  [ I will be cycling, walking and riding though so will be doing some sort of excercise]

So my plan is a couple of 10ks in the summer, Cardiff half in Autumn.  All being well next year Llanelli 10mile, half marathon and gulp dare I say it llanelli Marathon next springimage

• Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

pip - you are brave!  LLanelli scares me given the results from this year!!  I also have the same questions as you.  Do we start again from the beginning or are we now elite atheletes and pitch it much higher?

Went for another swim today and saw my OAP swimming friends (who were very sweet to me when I was aqua plodding) who were delighted about the marathon and I could show off and talk about it to my hearts content!  They thought 5 hours 48 was a fanastic time. Bless them.

Female urinals - I wasn't brave enough.  I don't think I fully understand the logistics.  image

fizzipop - ohhh, very smiley!  And you make it look easy!

Does anyone else have sore/stiff bits still?  I'm still limping with my hip. I hope it goes soon.  That and those blisters!

• Options

Kaff ... I haven't look at this years results yet, maybe I should ........

I am still a bit achey too knees and hips image

I love the fact that me are now elite atheletes [ giggles madly to myself ]

All our clients in work have been so sweet saying how brave, marvellous, brilliant time etc  one lady was astounded when she heard and apparently said ' little pip did the marathon. I can't believe it. she kept that quiet '  ummm no I didn't told everyone even those who didn't really need to know image

• Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

pip - clearly you could have spoken about it MORE image.  That's great news!  I think you should spend the rest of the month talking about it.  And then talking about the next one.  Mr Pip will understand!

My OH has given up the will to live.  She doesn't even bother to roll her eyes when she found me on the sofa yesterday with my medal on. She just ignores it.  Even if I hold up my medal to her face.  Or jump up and down infront of her.  Frankily, she is just not playing ball.....The cat sniffed my medal today though, so at least someone in the household is interested.

• Options

I'm going to add that to my CV 'elite athlete' lol.

My hips and left knee and niggling. I'm going to swim next week and maybe join my club for a run the week after.

I've just signed up for a local 5k, it's part of a serious of runs that all my local clubs take part it. I'm looking forward to it but it's going to be strange trying to run as fast as I can for 5k, rather than running as slow as I can for 26.2.

• Options

Rebecca I agree going to have to speed up again now .... it's all going to seem a bit strange but hopefully training runs will be a doddleimage

Kaff at least you had some response from your cat... mine just yawns at me

was thinking about hanging my medal from the mirror in my car then EVERYONE can see it... I may not be able to see where I am going but what's more importantimage

• Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Rebecca - yeah!  I think now that going for a 5k race is not worth the effort of getting there etc as it will all be over before it began!  But think a nice 5k race will be a great way to get back into it all. 

I've booked for the British 10k on 8th July. Want to do a couple of other races just before then.

And I just signed up to a running club yesterday as thought I might not be so embarrassed to join one now given that we are now elite athletes.

(also glad I'm not the only one with niggles still......but hope both pips and rebeccas go soon, and anyone elses)

• Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    pip - hee hee.  But will passer by's know it is the VLM medal?  You might need a massive car sticker with an arrow pointing to the medal saying "this is my London Marathon medal for you to see".
  • Options

Got me thinking now ....I wonder if you can get big banners to put on the car saying 'I ran the London Marathon' going to google it ..... also I am now safe to wear my hoodie and t-shirt that I bought but was too scared to wear image

• Options
    Kaffeeg - .. About to do 2 flights stairs to find lazy cats and show them medal... Running out of people to tell.....!
  • Options

Siony....... have you told postman, internet shop deliveryman, people just minding their own business just walking down the road ........................ I didimage

Fizzypop   lovely photos.... you look such a smiley, happy person ......... not like mineimage

Just wondering .. in my madness if I should apply for a ballot place next year....... eek haven't told Mr Pippity..  then maybe get some decent blooming photos !!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lol - you all make me giggle so much - thank you!

This week I've already signed up for....
    - 1 10k
    - 1 20k race
    - 1 Half marathon
    and i'm comtemplating another marathon.

I somehow think my brain is trying to mask the pain of the weekend by convincing me that i'm doing so well!

• Options

Oh ladies - you do make me laugh!

kaffeeg - I really did LOL at your partner not even rolling her eyes when she found you wearing your medal yesterday. My cats had a good sniff of my running shoes, but that was about it. Asked my son what the best part of the weekend was. His answer .... was it seeing Mum run? Seeing Mum finishing the marathon? Seeing Mums medal? No - it was "Going on the DLR!" I see where I come in his list of priorities now! Hubby keeps telling me he's as tired as I am, after their marathon haul around London to see me (they did manage to see me in 6 different places!)

Pip - loving the idea of a banner for the car, and the medal / rear view mirror combo. You clearly didn't talk about it nearly enough - on Tuesday the Postie rang the bell, despite not having any large parcels / anything to be signed, just to ask me how it went!

I have had to peel my t-shirt off to give it a wash. I had been wearing it over things (so not as scuzzy as it sounds!) but even so - want to wear it again tomorrow!

I've had just 1 more photo appear, but looks like that's it for me. I was so hoping for a Big Ben photo, or at least one with the finish line in sight. I too look, well shall we say, focussed rather than smiley - and I *did* wave at loads of photographers as well!

Have had a totally lazy day today. I was fed up with still feeling so tired so I've basically slept on the sofa with a cat on my knee for a good few hours. image Am hoping to go out for a little slow plod tomorrowand hopefully start getting back to normal! Is there a 'normal' for us elite affletes???

• Options
    I only remember seeing the photographers closing in on the finish line ... I tried to give a happy looking thumbs up and pose but obviously timed it wrong as whilst my thumb is still up I just look like a fat bloke, putting my thumb up before I keel over!

Edit - though a fat bloke that just ran every step of the 26.2 miles!!!
  • Options

B&T - sounds just like me! Hubby saying he's tired after walking 8 miles round london!!

wearing my t-shirt as often as possible, and trying to make sure everyone can see what it says!!

wore my medal all the way home on sunday - kept getting smiles from people.

Hate my photos, i look fat and horrid, except in one of them (or maybe i look like that all the time? scary thought) 

shattered on Monday, tired on Tuesday, Not too bad yesterday, left with a few leg aches today

I got an awful time 6hrs 18mins but i could have taken half an hour off if i didnt have to Q for the loos 4 times! 

I'd like a car banner though!

• Options

I'm having more trouble keeping  up with you this week than I was in the run up to the marathon!

• Options

lol at the medal business, I'm sure the cats were very impressed really.

Pip - I think you might be onto something with the 'I ran the London marathon, look at the medal in my car' bumper sticker.

When I got home on Sunday with the family, I said to my 5 year old 'look at Mummy's medal', she was like 'Mum, I've already seen it'. 

Emmy_bug you will have to let us know how you get on in your races image.  

• Options
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeek just gone to stare in disbelief at my photos and they seem to have disappeared !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi Rebecca - i'll be sure to do that! image You guys are really funny and supportive!
  • Options
    Mine did that earlier Pip, I think it just crashed with the amount of people looking at them.
  • Options
    Veterinary advice

Cats well known not to make good marathon pets, genetically incapable of being impressed by anything.

Spaniels, very enthusiastic about anything you do but have annoying habit of making 20 mile run look easy

Would recommend gold fish as they forget being told after 30secs so can be told as often as you like

Or get a chicken!

Anyway husband just got back from 5k run and says he feels knackered. , I now have lovely warm smug feeling ( may just nip upstairs for my medal)
  • Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

hahahahha!  Everyone's on very fine humour form today!

Siony - I hope they gave you an impressed head butt.

b&t- Kids!  Though the DLR is quite exciting.....  And I'm impressed with attempting to run tomorrow.  Let us know how it goes!  I think I am going to leave it another week before I try.  How nice to go running becuase you want to rather than because you have to!

Max's mum - congrats!  whooop!

Speed10 - hahaha! 

Pip- mine did that too. Very annoying!  I wanted to stare at myself for a good while longer!

Emmy - fab!  Which ones?  Maybe some of us can do them with you?!!!

Rebecca - hahaha!  She not impressed?  Maybe your little one will be more impressed?  Isn't it easier to manipulate children to do what you want at that age???

Emsi - Thank you for the veterinary advice.  I think I'm sold at Goldfish.  Can I swap the OH half for one?

Right.  I'm booking Brighton 2013.  EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKK.  Please someone book it with me?  I'm too scared to book on my own.

• Options
    You lot actually make me laugh out loud. I was chuckling to myself yesterday reading this and my 4 year old asked me if I'd been watching Harry Potter Puppet Pals on Youtube. This forum is way funnier.
    I seem to have friends who are easily impressed as I have had lots of "I could never do that!" comments. I usually say "If I can, anyone can." back to them but next time, I might just say, "No, actually you probably couldn't!" just to see what they say. Am I mean??? My pals are taking me to the pub tomorrow night for a big sesh, and I am so ecited about being able to drink on a Friday night, and sleep in all Saturday morning. Of course, I have planned my outfit around a navy t-shirt and red and gold medal! I just phoned the pub owner to arrange a wee buffet, and happily managed to drop in the fact we are celebrating my marathoning.
    I am planning on running the Bristol half with Emsi, if anyone else fancies it. My husband is going to try to get into VLM next April, so I will be spectating next year. Maybe the year after though.
    I have another 7000 photos to trawl though this evening.
    xx
  • Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

I JUST REGISTERED FOR BRIGHTON 2013 imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage (shhhhhhhhhh - don't tell anyone I know.  The cat hasn't noticed and OH not home yet.  Just got to keep it quiet for a few months!)

Emma - hahahah!  Is Harry Potter Puppet Pals funny?  I've missed out! (And it's not mean - big yourself up!!)  Enjoy your night out!

• Options
    Kaffeeg, well done! You are a brave lady!! If you are 4 or 7, the Puppet pals is hilarious.
  • Options

Here is an interview with Liz Yelling following her last ever marathon at London

Liz Yelling Interview

• Options
    I have just written a whopper of an email to Alzheimer Scotland for being generally crap. Feel better now!
  • Options
    Lol at this thread!!

Everyone's pics are fab, I really must remember to smile more in future!

Just seen more pics of me on the website, captured perfectly on camera is me crying just after the underpass on the embankment, great. The lucozade sign saying in 2.5miles you will be part of history  set me off (don't really remember anything else along the embankment, almost missed Big Ben...)

Never said it before but big thanks to everyone on this thread for keeping me sane (I think) during all the training etc.

Some friends organised a weekend away but wouldn't tell me where until I had finished the marathon so on way to Edinburgh, proudly wearing souvenir t-shirt but just realised I left medal at home (will just have to show them next time), wonder how long I can talk about the marathon for until I'm  disowned. 

Women's urinals, didn't even see them, I don't get it, it doesn't even sound right

Pip - yay image lol at your first comment on photo being about hair, exactly sort of thing I would say

Kaff - think i spent the last few miles staring into the distance wishing I was at that point. Well done on getting straight on with entering your second that's impressive 

Fizzi - dancing at the Olympics wow that's going to be amazing 

Emma - don't feel crap, you went out and raised money for them, which is more than most people

Mick/kiwi - thank you again for the advice can't say it enough

Jazz hand waves to everyone else as am completely lost on where I have caught up to, hope you're recovering well!