VLM 2012 first timers???

Comments

• Hi

Kafeeeeeeg long time no hear from, glad you are still around.  Well did a very slow 3 miles today and touch wood no pain.  Going to the physio again next Saturday. Will hopefully get out running again this week.  image Waves to Siony and everyone else around. xxx

• Just noticed this thread I'm running my first ever marathon in 3 weeks I'm really nervous . I've so far ran 18.5miles and I'm doing the Oakley 20 . I did get a bit behind with my training haven't managed to do weights or any core work I'm worried I havent trained enough ! I know I should of done more but the running alone has been really difficult with having a family and looking after my disabled son . All I would like to know is have I done enough ?

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Pip - that's fab news! Fingers toes and everything crossed for you!

nicola - welcome! You'll be totally fine. Totally. Just remember to taper after your 20miler. You want fresh head, fresh mind for the start. Good luck!

• I noticed a bit on here about gels too . I run. With a club and have  been training every Sunday for my marathon since January they use gels coming up to the first hr of running to keep topped up . I've also been told that glycogen only lasts for an hr of exercise and best to use a gel before that time to stop the tired feeling . I've never done it at 15miles I know I would collapse . I suppose though if your able to run 15miles in an hr you wouldn't need anything and I'm a very slow runner that needs the fuel 

• I've got a10k and a week off to run London . Was hoping to do 23 before the big day 

• Hi, well I smashed my pb by over 6 mins to finish in 1.45.15 at the alloa HM. Really pleased as it was very windy and had a big hill 10.5 miles in that drained me!!

Glad the physio went well pip and your short run was pain free. You'll do great and just enjoy it. 

Hi nicola, fantastic you've done 18.5 miles and have a 20 miler planned, you'll be fine. Most I did was 20 miles but next time I would get up to 22 miles, think just mentally it would help me. I used SIS gels from about 12 miles onwards and jelly babies as well but try them in your training first to make sure they're ok for you. 

• Thank you I'm so nervous don't want collapse in a heap and not get my medal . My training hasn't gone completely to plan injury put paid to that still have the odd twinge from my knee . I'm booking in to get a sports massage before Mday and after .   I can't believe I can nearly run 20miles now never thought I would be able too 

• Hi all

Big eater well done flipping good time !!

Nicola don't be nervous you will be fine.,,,, I am soooooooo, behind with my training eeeeeeeeeeeek !!  but providing I have no pain I WILL be standing at the start of London Marathon 2014 ..............oh my goodness here we go again.

Kiwi where are you ??????

• Fab pip- will keep everything crossed for you

must be time for taper madness soonimage

Great half time big eater!

nicola- don't worry- hang on in there-I do think our mind is the thing that limits us. You will make it!

found the last 4 weeks training the hardest- temptation to do more mikes/ fear hadn't done enough/ unexplained niggles/ minimal running in taper/ hotel/ travel worries.

it was a relief to stand on he start line- and all was good.

good luck to you all and enjoy image

• Here PIP !! LOL. Got back from Cyprus last week, but have only just managed to get back on here !! Haven't read back. Are we all ok ?????

• Hello all- yeah to warm weather and extra hour daylight- have got pasty white arms out for first few runs of the year!

how are thinks with you all?

coping with taper madness?

all ok pip?

looking forward to watching the race- image

• Hi Siony

well taper madness has passed me by as my traaining has all gone pear-shaped ! so am thinking that will have to join run/walk group... not what I had planned.  Anyone know what distance is run and what is walked ?  back to physio on Saturday for probably another acupuncture session.   Am I completely mad or what. ?

• Hi all. Just got back on here after a hell of a busy couple of weeks. How are we all doing ? Nothing wrong with that strategy Pip. I don't know if this will help, but it is worth googling Jeff Galloway and his run/walk strategy. To me it makes a lot of sense. Esp if you are struggling a little. My attitude is still the same. Go out to enjoy it and take in the atmosphere. You don't have to go out and run it at a 100 miles an hour. Sure. We all want to improve, but as we have said, anyone who runs a marathon is a winner.  It doesn't really matter. i would love to do a PB, but my handicap is having run a marathon already 4 weeks ago. I am taking it as it comes. You should do the same. You will find by having walking breaks you will take in more of the atmosphere and surroundings. Forget about times. If you can do that now you will take so much pressure off yourself. You can go into this with a relaxed attitude and say' I am going to enjoy this' If I am going to walk then so be it !! Who cares. Don't forget the old piece of advice I threw your way a while back. Walk because you want to, not because you have to !!  A Hal Higdon statement !! and absolutely right !! Hope to hear from you soon PIP.Let me know how you are doing !! and everyone else !!

• Hi Kiwi will definately google that.  Another problem now, my mum was taken in to hospital last night,  So providing she is getting better I will be standing at the start.  Scared but excited.

• Hi all

vlm trailers started on TV and give me goosebumps!

will be watching and cheering you on 

have a fab run x

• Hi had to take the decision to pull out of London with mum being so poorly.  It is disappointing but at the end of the day there will be other marathons and I have only one mum.  Times are difficult at the moment,  Will enter the ballot again for next year who knows it could be three in a row !! or will try a different one Brighton may be anyone know of any flat ones.  Good luck to all running.  You will be brilliant.

• Oh pip sorry to hear this, take care and hope everything turns out well. 

As for flat marathons Manchester is meant to be the flatters uk marathon, if I don't get into London again next year that will be my back up. 

• Hope your mum is ok pip- big hugs x

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Pip - thinking of you. Hope your mum is on the road to recovery. Xxxxxx

• Hi all. Sorry to hear that PIP. Always more. At least you have run London. How did everyone go ???????????????????

• Hi PIp. Ran 2.43, so will take that.

I think as we are still hoping to run marathons, we should keep this site up and running. What does everyone else think ? I have championship starts for the next 2 London marathons, will be running the Barnstaple marathon in September too.

We have  had runners do both Brighton and Manchester Pip, and totally recommended both. Food for thought !!

• Any thoughts on chester marathon kiwi, I'm giving that some serious thought for October?

• Hi bigeater- Chester is likely on the cards for me. My Achilles didn't settle in time for Liverpool ( well, not to allow adequate training to get  a good time

well done Kiwi- i can only dream of a 2:43- did you spot mo?

How's your mum Pip?

Hope you all have a great Easter x

• Hi all well done Kiwi Things not great here with mum so havent run for a bit. I definately want to keep this forum going. Will try for London ballot place again. If I dont get in will be finding another one to do. Going to enter Cardiff half in the autumn. Hi Siony and bigeater.
  • Siony- have you did chester before? Also thinking loch Ness marathon in September, that would be easier as it falls on a local holiday here so would be off work on the Monday and kids off school so could come and support me but chester is my preferred choice but would probably have to just go myself. 

Pip- sorry to hear your mum is still poorly, hope things get better soon for you x

• Hi all mum passed away on Saturday, will speak soon. x

• So sorry to hear your sad news, thoughts and prayers with you and your family. x

• Pip - so so sorry to hear your news. My love & thoughts are with you & your family. Look after yourself