Marathon Running - On The Bus?

Local TV news had as it's main story the allegation that the third placed runner in the Kielder marathon two days ago caught the bus halfway round! Any eye-witnesses on here?

Comments

• Yup, I saw him. I was at the line waiting for my husband when he (Rob Sloan) appeared out of the woods and finished in third. A woman next to me immediately said "well that can't be right". She had seen him disappear down a track earlier and assumed he had gone to find a bush.

She was adamant he couldn't have got up to third place and got the route map out to try and find the short cut he had used. I said to my husband at the time that I wouldn't be surprised if she contacted the organisers but it appeared she wasn't the only one.

He's now claiming it was a 'mistake'. But surely the time to mention the 'mistake' was when he crossed the line, certainly before he collected his medal and definitely before he gave an interview to the local paper insisting he ran the whole way.

It's a shame because he's obviously a good runner.

• He wont be running much any more. Thats a lifetime ban from UKA affiliated events?....which is most of them (If they ban you for life for letting someone else race with your number, then im pretty sure this gets one too). And booted out of the club I assume. Had he come 4th he probably would have gotten away with it.

Expecting a runners world article on famous "cheats" next month. 

Garmin forerunner profiles are public by default, so would be good to see if anyone has found his as it would show and route speed (40 mph!) and give conclusive proof either way.

If I'd have come real 3rd behind him, not got the 3rd place prize on the day, and only got it a few days later after the DQ, i'd be going mental at a cheat for taking the shine off my race. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2047816/Marathon-runner-shaved-miles-race-finished-catching-spectator-bus-disqualified.html

• TV footage showed the runner in question being interviewed whilst being glared at by the runner who was fourth. Apparently man in fourth is a policeman. Oops......... Does seem a bit strange if he is a good club runner.
  • I suppose the point now is, is he actually a good club runner? You could argue that none of his results can be trusted?

It seems a push that anyone could win the 10k race there on the sat and then come back the next day for a marathon anyway, let alone come 3rd, so we should suspect he cheated in the 10k?

Basically he's f**ked himself. 

• He has fkcd himself but then that's what a wnakre would do!!! (you know what the naughty words are).

It does beggar belief why he would do it? What sort of half arsed notion went through his brain???
  • It seems odd to put all the training in only to cheat.  Apart from looking like a right tit he also cheat on himself. 

A total ban on all races is justified but i am sure that is the least of his worries with regards to his local club. 

What a colossal berk

• Would they really ban him?  I've known people break UKA rules and just get away with a telling off.  It's not really in anyone's interest to ban people as it then means that any future race organisers ahve to screen the entries to look for him.

But he is certainly going to lose all respect within his club, and that is probably a bigger punishment.

• Only one person ran a negative split?  That sounds unusual in its self??
  • How can it be a mistake?

"there I was trying to run the remaining few miles when oops, I accidentally stepped onto a bus and stayed on there for a few miles"

• 26 and a bit miles is an awfully long way to run image

reminds me of the chap who during VLM crossed tower bridge and turned left!!

• I am waiting for someone to say “Well he ran 20 miles and that is much more than most people can manage so he should be applauded. Come on guys why are you all giving him a hard time. You should be supportive to a fellow runner. Where is your Race for Life spirit?”

• I bet he was wearing an iPod as well
  • I respect him for running 20 miles and acknowledging that he wasn't capable of running the whole way.  It's very hard to drop out of a race.  I don't even begrudge him running over the finish line if he wanted to get a medal for his 20 miles, afterall, he had paid his money.

However, when someone came up to him and said 'Congratulations, you were the third man in' he should have had the grace to admit then and there that he didn't deserve the prize.

• Respect him ? For cheating ? Not for me sorry.

I don't think he's all there - if he really thought he could get away with it - he's clearly not the full shilling.
  • I never said that I respect him for cheating.  Only for running 20 miles and having the sense to pull out when he realised that he couldn't finish.
  • My club marshals at the 25 mile mark for VLM. One of our jobs is to direct runners who have dropped out to the finish - putting a line through their number and removing their chip.

One year, two of my mates were confronted by two French women who, having got the tube from Greenwich to Embankment, then wanted to join the course because they "just wanted to get a medal". My mates managed to stop them and cut their chips off but with hidnsight they wish they'd left them to join the course. Had they finished, they would have beaten the elite women.

• I think it depends on the event too.  Last weekend Hubby dropped out of a race but they still gave him the medal and goodie bag when he handed the chip back, as an incentive to return the chip.  But that is a low key event.  With something like VLM there is a lot of prestige that comes with it and I guess they want to make sure that the medals only go to those who actually finished.
  • Floosie Sue wrote (see)

... Had they finished, they would have beaten the elite women.

That would have made for some entertaining TV!

• Floosie Sue wrote (see)

My club marshals at the 25 mile mark for VLM. One of our jobs is to direct runners who have dropped out to the finish - putting a line through their number and removing their chip.

One year, two of my mates were confronted by two French women who, having got the tube from Greenwich to Embankment, then wanted to join the course because they "just wanted to get a medal". My mates managed to stop them and cut their chips off but with hidnsight they wish they'd left them to join the course. Had they finished, they would have beaten the elite women.

haven't managed to stop tommy the clown from cheating year in and year out,,,,,,,,,,,,,

really have to think he has something wrong mentally with him........some disorder as I can't think of anyone in club running who could think they could get away with it

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I am amazed that he found a bus in the UK that got him there faster than running image Any buses around my way would have been a hinderence more than a help to my marathon time!

To be honest if they don't carry out any formal discipline on him he has already done a lot of damage to himself, everyone in his club will know hes a cheat and will not want him associated with the club, lots of other local clubs will know hes a cheat and not want anything to do with him and his name/picture is all over the shot now so loads more people know hes a cheat!

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I saw someone cheat at the Royal Parks Half marathon on Sunday. Just after the re-entry to Hyde Park, this chap deliberately veered off to the right, crossed a path and joined the line of runners going the other way. He would have saved 2+ miles. Thing is, I think it was before the half-way chip mats image
  • I remember running the VLM about 4 years back - I did the first 10k in about 45 mins or so - so running fairly well, and I had a good start - only a minute or two across the line.

So imagine my surprise when I find myself overtaking an enormously fat bloke. Easily over 20 stone, and his tum hanging out of the bottom of his top.

He even got his photo in the paper that week so I checked his splits.

First 10k in 37 mins.
    Next 5k took him another 39 minutes.
    Finish time 7.31

He must have given his number to a fitter guy and taken over just after the 10k mark.
  • i was waiting for somebody to mention tommy the clown! haha

we're practically writing the RW article for them! haha

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    This was just on BBC lunchtime news. What a tool. The looks he was getting from the real 3rd place when he was interviewed were good!
  • cougie wrote (see)
    I remember running the VLM about 4 years back - I did the first 10k in about 45 mins or so - so running fairly well, and I had a good start - only a minute or two across the line. So imagine my surprise when I find myself overtaking an enormously fat bloke. Easily over 20 stone, and his tum hanging out of the bottom of his top. He even got his photo in the paper that week so I checked his splits. First 10k in 37 mins. Next 5k took him another 39 minutes. Finish time 7.31 He must have given his number to a fitter guy and taken over just after the 10k mark.

I don't really get this? What's he gaining from a speedy start, especially as he must have known he'd still end up with a slow time? And what type of person offers to run the first 6.2 miles of a marathon for someone??

Womble sounds like he definitely would have missed half way. 

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    just seen this on news what a cheat all us marathon runners train so hard to get our goal and someone does that how lazy
  • I definitely feel sorry for the poor guy who finished fourth but if I'd competed on Sunday I wouldn't feel cheated. This guy cheated himself and will probably regret it for a very long time. Anyone who finished should only feel proud, no-one can take away their achievement. 26.2 miles is a helluva long way to run - clearly too far for some!