Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Out on the bike pre dawn yesterday and today, planning on a trot latter and have a sprint Tri on Friday before Abu Dhabi International tri the week after, taking the short course option 1.5/100/10 as there is no way that I'm riding twice across the desert twice to Yas Island. Last year was the equivilent of cycling in a giant hair drier with 30MPH winds, blowing sand and 35C. it was not nice!
  • This mornings commute was much easier than last week. Was wondering if I wasn't putting in as much effort as I should have been (concious of running session tonight), but got to work faster than normal, excluding the delay to put the chain back on after spending ages unravelling it from the pedals.

Happy days - struggling with tiredness at work tho. Large coffee on its way!

• not a good training week last week, home life got in the way but things must be improving as a did a really windy half mara on Sunday and felt good all the way round, passing loads of people on the hills.
  • Tried a longer brick today. 2:15 on the bike and then a 45 minute shuffle. It was as if I had got used to the 'Fink' 15 minute run brick and then it was dreadful.

Gutted image

Good training fellow Finkers. Hopefully some better weather and more day light will help us all..

• Muffin, stick at it ... thats what training is for  

It will get better and whilst not necc 'easier' it will become a more comfortable experience

Was out on the bike for 3 hours this afternoon, lovely to see the signs of Spring, not sure a night shift tonight is the best recovery but no choice  image
  • Good training all dying to get back into it but common sense says wait till the weekend still plenty of time left for a quick build up i have a fair endurance base so not panicking
  • Good Plan Max...... I missed all of last week, following my MTB incident.

Managed 2 3 mile joggettes over the weekend, and now got most of the bandages and strapping off, So will try a bit further this evening

• Had a terrible January and felt embarressed to come on here and see all the great training everyone else was going so I was a bit horrified to realise that I hadn't been here since before Christmas! I've burmed up my "spare weeks" and although I'm officially on Wk 12 of Fink, I'm doing Wk 11 again as it's longer and I didn't get it all in last week due to other commitments which are now behind me. Good week so far this week with a nice 3km in the pool this morning. Nice to be back among people who don't think I'm insane doing this IM lark!

Insomnia, the PSOF sailed to Zurich in 2009 and loads of us on here have done it so feel free to ask any questions you have on the course. I'm doing Austria this year which is clashing with Outlaw image

• hmmm so not trained since Thursday morning as I have been away all weekend, now have a busy couple of days before another busy weekend... hoping to get 1 2.5 hour ride in over the weekend but thats it, then racing twice the following weekend. Not going great at the minute image
  • GB life gets in the way, secretly i was planning to hammer it and beat my previous 11:12 and try to go sub 11 but what with the crash and a few other personal things i am now revising it to have a great day out with all the Pirates so am all of a sudden the pressures off and i am feeling remarkably chilled about the whole thing image
  • RBM I with you. I was thinking about going for a PB etc but life is distinctly getting in the way and whilst some training is going on I'm not where I was at this time last year. so seriously considering a Pirate day out before I retire from all things IM.
  • I was really hoping for a sub 11... but as so far my longest ride has only been 3 hours, and have only done a couple greater than 2 hours... plus with marathon training. Oh well 2013 can be my year image

One thing is for certain... I will be there until midnight on the day... the only unknown is how much drinking time I will have had by that time

• Swim was awful at lunchtime. Really hard work. Why does that happen with me and swimming. Mind you, can't complain too much - swimming had been going really well for the past 3 weeks or so! The fact I was also meant to do it this morning before work (but didn't because I got up late) because lunch hour just isn't long enough since Fink swims have stepped up in distance didn't help - so the 800 metres of drills got dropped too.

Long steady run (well, 1 hour, so about 6 miles) tonight. Bit worried as I pretty much did that time and distance yesterday with the running club!

Decisions, decisions, decisions about this weekend. Got the option of 2 60 mile rides - one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Wife is working Sunday, so that one would make more sense from a life-balance perspective, but then the one of Saturday is on my door-step and with people I know! Hmmm....

• MA both!!!! yeah, it would be rude not too image
  • A question to you wise owls if I may..........

Why does Fink start dropping in Zone 4 stuff? 

I am struggling to undertand what benefit this has when the overall aim is to keep HR down.

• Did my first 3k straight swim set today and decided to time it to see where I was at in terms of the swimming - 51min 06. Not bad for a first effort. I know swimming is important but am thinking about dropping the third swim session due to being tired and having to doi it after a long run on sunday.

I use my schools pool and can only get in it on a Tue/Thur morning and a sunday afternoon.

hmmm...

• What week are we supposed to be on?
  • I'm not doing the thrid swim. Not enough hours in the day. Plus the swim is only a warm up to the main event.

3km in an hour is good. Hopefully my tri club will sort me out with that.

Muffin, the Z4 stuff is to keep the body guessing. Even though we'll all get faster for a given HR it helps to stop the training getting stuck in a rut, and helps to build a small bit of anaerobic endurance.
  • ajford1 - 3km in 1hour is great image.

I keep stressing about the swim, even though I know it's just a fraction of the event. I did 2km in the pool this lunchtime, and it took me 59mins 15 seconds image - and I had far too much breaststroke mixed in with the FC (i need my little BS rests!!).

I'm quite liking the Z4 stuff, it definitely breaks up the monotony if you are on turbo/treadie. However, in the "real" outdoor world where I live, it is so flippin hilly, I can't help doing Z4 unless I get off and push my bike or walk!!

• Running Postie wrote (see)
    MA both!!!! yeah, it would be rude not too image

That thought has crossed my mind image

Have squared away the Saturday ride, so I'll see how I'm feeling Saturday night!

• Slogged my way through 2.7K in a hour in the pool, I can only dream of 3k in the pool yet I can get very close to it in OW with or without wetsuit. Sprint Tri in the morning. Its cycling that I never have time for the long rides... ah well when the race season ends in April I can worry about that.
  • I think im going to do the third swim if im free but not stress about it if I have to miss it. 15 degrees in Worcester today, could do with this kind of weather on the weekends!!
  • Ajford, if you're swimming 3k in 51 minutes, you really don't have any cause to worry about the swim. You will be one of the faster pirates out of the water. If you want to use the third swim as a recovery session then do but if you feel your other workouts benefit more from completely rest, then go with that.

• being a good boy and still resting apart from some pool swims using a pull bouy (kicking aggravates my groiny sore bits) and yet somehow I woke up this morning with a pulled calf muscle image I must have had a bad cramp or summat in my sleep image I was looking at getting going again tomorrow morning with a nice easy spin on the turbo but will now have to suck it and see in the morning if this bliddy calf settles down, never mind I will get there in the end. finished converting my Surly Steamroller to a singlespeed cyclo crosser/commuter   it looks the dogs danglies and I am hoping to get out over the weekend for a very easy trail ride on the Camel Trail (the only long flat bit that i can think of in Cornwall) that will put minimal strain on me sore bitsimage
  • Muffin Z4 is to help you increase you lactate threshold and will improve your bodies ability to uterlise oxygen better. Meaning you will be able to go faster for longer, in theory image
  • Muffin top
    A wise man, (gordo) once said that if you need to choose between base and build, (ie aerobic endurance v hard stuff) then go for base.......

You can get very fit, (and fast) just by doing the arobic stuff....... The hard intervals are great, but open you up to being fried, getting injured and just plain tired.  

A hard interval session that means you miss the next aerobic session is a waste.....

It all depends where you are / what your aerobic base is like, and how well you recover from intervals.

I am currently doing some bike intervals once a week, and a couple of runs now finish with increasing efforts......

give them a go, but drop them if you find it too much........and replace with a slightly longer session at your goal pace / hr / 

• Anyone else actually put weight on? Week 12 of Fink intermediete and actually put on about 3 or 4 pounds when I was hoping to lose some unwanted timber. Diet in check and dont really drink so not sure the cause. Possibly excessive snacking after/before long sessions? hmmmm image
  • Thanks for the Z4 info. Will start throwing some high intensity stuff into the mix and keep the focus on endurance, as this is what I really lack.

I actually enjoy Z4 stuff, especially on the turbo when intervals help structure the session and leave me buzzing.

• ajford1 wrote (see)

Anyone else actually put weight on? Week 12 of Fink intermediete and actually put on about 3 or 4 pounds when I was hoping to lose some unwanted timber. Diet in check and dont really drink so not sure the cause. Possibly excessive snacking after/before long sessions? hmmmm image

I only manage not to excessively snack after a long session if I am eating enough during. Last weekend a forgotten house key and an extra hour on the bike left me hoovering the fridge contents and a net gain of calories. Wiill remember my key (and emergency money) in future. image