Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    Don't forget to pop into The Kit Thread if you want kit for Outlaw
  • Well my easy ride on the Camel trail started off well with Cornish Digger and another mate bowling along , first the Digger punctures then 5 minutes later pssssss i go flat image sort that and then we a riding really well my hip/groin feels good and pain free and the pace goes up we get to Wade ridge and CD turns for home as time is ticking on me and Ally head for Padstow and the pace goes up again i am feeling good image coffee and cake stop then blast back to Bodmin and ..........less than half a mile to go i fall off on a really silly low speed gate bit and do the friggin splits which has put me back to actually worse than last weeks crash as i has seriously pulled my groin again having trouble walking now its really stiffening up and sore as hell, I think somebody upstairs is warning me off Outlaw . The injury saga continues reackon i wont see the bike for another week again at least for fecks sake! Other than that it was a great ride image at this rate i will be joining the 16 hour gang image
  • RBM, you are a constant tale of woe.  I know exactly where you fell, how on earth you did it is anybody's guess..  As I see you posted somewhere else, loads ot time yet, especially for a man of your calibre, which I saw some of this morning!!!  

I came back really filthy and reckon I put an inch of mud on my garden from hosing down the bike!!  Hopefully out for road bike session tomorrow,

• Crikey RBM- I pop onto this thread and see you are crocked! What are you up to?
    Anyway, i thought you were giving IM a miss this year!!!
  • Slim 2 crashes in a week and i was sort of talked into it by some "mates" image as just doing it for fun as i would have been training with them anyway. Plus brother is hoping to toe the line if he can keep the run injury gremlins at bay image
  • CD you were more mud than man image sitting here with my feet up reeking of deep heat and rattling from ibobrufen image it may not be as bad as i initially thought still limping but it seems to be easing off . Gonna anesetise myself with some vino tonight enjoy your road bike (enforced) rest day for me i think
  • Just popping in to see what people have been up to.  You might not remember, but I'm the person who was on the waiting list but had to cancel anyway due to shortly to be enforced salary cuts at my work. 

Sorry to hear about your injuries RB Max.  Hope you're back on track soon.

Another reason I popped in is that I posted about eating tons but not putting on weight (in fact I lost a couple of klilos) and there was a girl on here who said she had the same thing going on.  I've recently been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and have to take meds for 6 months to correct it.  (Double bummer with the work thing - in fact stress is cited as one of the possible causes imageimage.)  I can't remember who she was but thought I'd mention my diagnosis in case she's still experiencing the same thing.  Eating more than usual and losing weight are 2 of the symptoms.  I had a couple of other symptoms too but I'm still able to exercise so that's one good thing.

I'll be aiming for Outlaw or possibly another IM next year, that's presuming I find a job soon and can start saving.

Happy training everyone. image

• RS thats a bit of a pain but good info. Hope you recover fine and nail an IM finish next year
  • RBM You really are a tale of woe at the moment, lets hope its not as bad as you feared initially.

Todays swim was cancelled due to the ongoing sandstorm.

Fridays Sprint Tri went well, 1-15-08 750/22/5 and 3rd M50, nice trophy and a voucher for about 45 pounds. Yesterday i had a nice trot across the desert.
  • DD yes I know i think i must have upset the big man upstairs. They say these things happen in 3s so i may cut to the chase and just chuck myself down the stairs to get it over with image its deffo not as bad as i first feared but i fear running will. Ot be resumed for a while. One of my training partners fell 10 ft from her stable roof yesterday luckily she bounces than me image
  • Hope everyone had good long rides in the sunshine this weekend. Last year Mr W told me about this Yoga for Triathletes DVD The Recover section was brilliant after a long ride and it helped me a lot.  I am sure there was a version on the Recover section on Youtube as well.
  • Hi Ninja

Thanks.  That looks useful.  I'll have a scout around on Youtube too.  Since I moved across the city, I no longer have a good yoga stretch class just around the corner.  I've upped my cycling recently as I take a longer commute route in and out and use the bike for everything generally anyway, having no car.

Are you up and about at the moment?

• DD well done on your tri.

I had a bit of a wibble today and started panicking that I have not done enough bike! I don't think riding my bike at work counts. On a plus side, i am off to a swimming club tonight to sort out my bad swim habits. Im feeling quite nervous.

• FB Page
    Outlaw Triathlon
    We have a bike course! You'll get a mailing this week and we're putting the maps online too (as quickly as we can!) If you're at the Triathlon Show this weekend come and have a chat about it. Basically it's one lap of the 2011 course followed by two laps of a new circuit south of the river Trent. Watch your inbox for more info....
  • Running Postie,I think we all have doubts now and then,worrying if we are doing enough training or not enough.I think Ive been spending a little to much time in the pool and not enough on the bike or running.Planning on rectifying it this month.Once my bike is fixed at the end of the week I will be extending my long ride and try to do more running during the week.At the minute Ive only been running with the club once a week and the odd parkrun.
    Looking forward to the bike course then planning a weekend down there to do some of the route next month
  • SC my running bit is o.k I have maintained 1/2 mara fitness by entering races and making myself do them. The swimming is coming on fab as I have gone from just managing 400 m to happily completing 2k 3 times a week. It's just taking a while for my nether regions to get used to cycling for long periods!

• RP I know what you mean about the seat situation,Ive always said whoever designed bike seats needs a good kicking.
  • Spongecake

Just being nosey, checking out various threads...

I know saddles choice is very personal, but I've just fitted a Specialized Romin (the Gel version) to my TT bike. DId 3 hours in the saddle without even noticing! Highly recommend it.

• Thanks Rafikid,my mate uses onetof them think I will asktif he will let me test it out before I spend more coin.
  • They come in various sizes - so I would advise being 'fitted' for one - which isn't as painful as it sounds (or fun depending on your point of view!) image
  • Abu Dhabi International tri on Saturday, doing the short course 1.5/100/10 as no way am I cycling to yas island across the desert twice after last years experience. I have no doubt Craig Alexander will beat me again.
  • RP relax as long as you are getting the long ride ,swim and run in you are doing enough everything else is gravy, if you are a bit slack build it up slowly, there was an interesting bit in the Macca autobiog regarding training volume and how most peeps including pros do far to much all driven by fear of the distance
    Regarding bike saddles if its uncomfy its not the one for you, you should never be in pain from a correct fitted saddle its just trial and error unfotunately .
    another thing i find less is more with regard to saddles i find minimalist but flexi saddles much more comfy than them padded thingmies
  • Ridgeback I have an adamo saddle, it's not uncomfy for most of the ride just numb by the end. I think I could probably do with a bike fit, I'm still getting use to this bike.

I think everyone has a bit of a wibble when it comes to training,it doesn't help that I am also struggling with my blood sugar levels at the moment and feel tired and dizzy a lot of the time even when I have eaten regularly. I need to get it sorted as my weight is starting to go back in the wrong direction!!!

• RP I like the idea of the Adamo but couldnt risk the outlay for something that may not work for me

for what its worth after 20 odd years of riding these are my  top 3 favorite saddles:

selle italia slr had these on my road bikes for years love em

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-slr-xp-saddle-with-vanox-rails/

Brooks Swift got these on my fixed commuter the most comfy saddle in the world and its britishimage weighs a ton mindimage

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=brooks+Swift&PartnerID=2324&InStockOnly=true&gclid=CKCwpY_Bxq4CFeMmtAodPBdvaw

Charge Spoon use these on my mountain bikescheap comfy and durable

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=charge+spoons+saddles&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBimagefficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=19451704135965891&sa=X&ei=gdhPT9KSLKfH0QX6gOnpCw&ved=0CF4Q8wIwAg

I have a planet x saddle on my TT bike (came with the bike ) and thats a realy  comfy tri position saddle and cheap as chips

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SAPXSL/planet_x_superlight_team_saddle

Health wise I have a condition which can affect my iron levels and whammo I am out of the game if i let them drop to low image

• I've put a link to the profile on t'other 2012 thread.
  • Morning Peeps

Managed a 30 mile bike 4 mile run last night. First decent sized brick of the year.

Still struggling a little with my scabby knee, but getting there slowly

• Did Abu Dhabi International Tri yesterday, watched Al Sultan, Henning, Leito etc hurtle past me on the bike, completed the short course 1.5/100/10 in 4-23, threw up on the run but averaged 21.6 MPH on the bike, so pleased enough with that.

I tried a Adamo saddle and hated it, too wide at the front and gave me blisters on my thighs. Selle Italia SLR on road bike, Fizik Tri on the TT bike, I don't believe taht any saddle is "comfortable" its more about the least amount of pain possible. Yesterday was the longest ride I have ever done in Tri shorts (pirate ones of course) which I found no more uncomfortable than 3 hours on the bike in bib shorts.

• DD I always wear tri shorts not to keen on to much padding of cycle shorts and especiaally with the SLR and Brooks saddles can ride for hours without discomfort perhaps i have developed a rhino hide type rear end image