Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• RB yep, must be you, rhino hide it is.

Did a fab xc race today, 13 miles of mud,hills, snow and rain. I had to keep reminding myself that a, it's good for the training  and b, think of all those lazy g*ts that are sat at home today and what they are missing, It did creep in the back of mind at mile 10 of, 'who is more stupid,me or the lazy g*ts?'

• I've a question(s) about the Fink plan, if someone can help. (I haven't got the book, just the plan)

I'm going to start on week 15 and to fit it around my swimming I have to start the week on a Tuesday but this puts the Sunday  Bike - Run on a Monday for me.

1: Some Monday's there won't be enough time to do both with any kind of break, can it be done as a brick, baring in mind it is a brick day the day before?

2: If these sessions aren't done as a brick does it matter what order you do them in?

3: Would it be ok to do the run on the Monday and the short/easy ride on the Tuesday which should be the Rest Day?

4; Or can I just miss the ride completely?

I know it's not life or death if you don't follow it exactly, but my motivation has taken a bit of a dive and I'm hoping following a schedule instead of winging it will get me get me through the next few months.

Thanks,

Chris.

• I have Saturday as a day off and run long on Sunday. Monday I do my bike interval session and swim with the club. I do my long ride on Wednesday. Thursday I do the easy cycle and a swim session as I am really kn*ckered by then. Friday I swim in the afternoon and do my interval run session at night.  I fit the sessions in the best I can.
  • Marshallini - Looks like the Sunday bike is a spin session to clear out the legs before the long run. There is a proper brick on the Wednesday, and the day before on the Saturday.
  • Thanks for the replys.

I'm having a few days off and starting afresh on Wednesday.

My swim days are fixed to Wed, Fri, Sat, that's why I've moved everything over 1 day.   Apart from the time restriction on the Monday on the day shift everything else fits really nicely and looking at the calendar because of various bank holidays there are only 4 Mondays where the issue arises anyway.  So nothing to worry about really.

My week 15
    Tue - Rest
    Wed - Run (1:00)  -   Swim (1:00)
    Thu - Bike (0:45) Run (0:15) [brick]
    Fri - Bike (1:00)  -  Swim (1:00)
    Sat - Run (1:00)  -   Swim (1:00)
    Sun - Bike (4:00) Run (0:30) [brick]
    Mon - Bike (0:45)  -    Run (1:15)

Cheers.

• Marshalini,

I would reschedule things as needed........
    The important / key sessions are the long bikes, (sunday for you) and the long run..... seems a brick for you

If the weather is looking like its gonna be crap for biking on a  Sunday, move it to Saturday etc etc etc....

Everything else is frequency which gets you fit enough to handle the endurance sessions......
    I like a hard day, easy day, hard day etc.... so I split my long run and the long ride....

I normally run long on a thursday and rest on a friday but this week I flipped that around....... no harm done image

• My schedule is pretty jumbled when I compare it to the book, but it seems to work for me.

As a first-timer, one question I have - the run on the Fink brick session doesn't seem very long at all, just 15mins after a 45 min ride. is it enough? is there any benefit from runnning for longer? It does feel like an easy session!

I haven't got my book with me, but from memory he doesn't have me doing anything longer than that until almost the end of June (apart from pactise races, of course!)

• bburn - I've got the same concern re: bricks. For the past couple of weeks I've just been doing (almost) the session in the book due to time commitments (1 hr ride, followed by 25 min run). Previously though I was doing longer sessions (think the longest was a 20 mile ride, followed by 5-6 mile run), so I'm interested in what other responses are to you question.

And my schedule certainly bears very little resemblance to the plan in the book. I sit down each Sunday night, Monday morning and fit things around known commitments. Up until last week Monday was my rest day, whereas that has now changed in an attempt to make one of the weekend days my rest day.

• just do a 15 - 30 minute run off your long bike.......image
    No pace, just get the legs going and see what its like.
  • Tuesday - Rest day

Or,  21 mile bike and a 9 mile run image

• Thanks OC.

Fink Swim #26 for me this morning. Since its jumped from 1.6k to 2.5k I'm not able to fit the sessions into an hour anymore, so just managed over 2k this morning. Not worrying - outdoor swimming should start next month, which might aid completing the distance, if not the structured session!

Long run coming up later - 90 minutes - or around 9-10 miles for me.
  • Edited to say I posted a question but I already know the answer.image

• Ha ha VT'd I was just about to answer. I read it earlier then got distracted by family stuff. I have similar issue and was about to give my view!!! imageimage
  • I have managed to get a stress fracture to my wrist, no swimming for 4-6 weeks. Suppose I will have to substitute the swim sessions with more bike/run. I have avoided having a cast and have a splint on instead. Just because, if I had a cast on it would be a bit soggy,sweaty and smelly by the end of 6 weeks!image

• Oh no Postie, poor you. Hope it mends soon. Can you still bike ride?
  • fortunately thanks to tri bars, I can still turbo train, I daren't go on the road in case I fall, landing one handed wouldn't be a pretty site!
  • Ouch!! No that would be a nightmare!!! Best stick to the turbo.
  • Postie, how is the wrist? I hope you are healing well.

I have done some work avoidance today and updated my training log. Actually it would be more correct to say, started a training log as everything to date is chaotic and scribbled on the kitchen calendar.

Now I have a fancy spreadsheet that confirms the random pattern of my training.image 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your wrist Postie, sounds a good plan to turbo.
    Might be teaching gran to suck eggs, but also make sure you up your calcium intake to encourage the healing. After my fall last winter and a wrist that broke in 4 places from just slipping over on the ice then discovering i had weak bones in spine and wrists.

I am on a rest week due to a cold that has gone to my chest, but getting better. Now watch the weather change as I get well enough to train again.

• thanks for asking about the wrist. It is starting to feel better.(I have been behaving...most of the time)  I couldn't resist going on the road today, the weather was fab and I really didn't fancy a sesh on the turbo.

Steady The rest will do you good, as for the weather, I reckon we are in for a good summer. We are already on a hose pipe ban from the 1st April (no joke!) the weather men know more than they are sayingimage

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Postie - On many occiasions I have washed my car in April or May and to have bad weather within 24 hours that was not forecast, so anything is possible. I sensibly get Mr Steady to wash it for me now.

Good summer or drought like 1976 I reckon, saw TV prog last night about weird weather and basically we are going to get more extremes in our weather for a couple of decades.

• Best not to get me started on this one I did this at uni and if you think I'm boring now just sit me down with a powerpoint presentation on weriod weather. image

Attention outlaws! some good info for ya

Coached Open Water Swim Sessions will start again in May with subsequent weekly sessions taking place on either a Wednesday or Friday at the National Water Sports Centre, Holme Pierrepont Nottingham.  There is a full schedule on the website at www.absolutetri.com and registration is even easier this year as you can complete on line as well as pre-pay.

Coached by award winning Level 3 Triathlon Coach Steve Lloyd, these technique based sessions are a must for both the beginner and experienced Triathlete covering all the essential aspects of successful & confident open water swimming.

Due to a whopping 67% price increase from the National Water Sports Centre we have had to adjust our prices accordingly, however we are passionate about providing quality, safe and most importantly fully coached sessions and still feel that the centre is by far the best place to achieve this.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Jayne Lloyd
    Jayne@absolutetri.com

Played with this club before and it's worth seeing what the water is like before the big day. Some of the sessions are on fridays so if you are canny you could do the open water camp over and do the bike course the day after for some local info. image

• is the absolute tri club in worcester still going? checked website a few times and all seems pretty quiet? anyone have any ideas?
  • *boing*

Last 10 weeks of Fink then. *gulp*

A question for the more experienced if thats alright - I've been doing the 'Just Round' plan primarily, but have been pinching some of the longer rides and runs from the Intermediate plan just because I've got that spare time to do longer for those sessions.

I've ridden 130 miles in training (with breaks due to it being an Audax ride), and my other longest ride was 80 miles. I'm wondering what benefits would come from doing a couple of 100s between now and Outlaw? And if I am to do them, how far out from Outlaw should I leave them?

Looking at the plan for between now and Outlaw, there are a few 5.5 hour rides (which would be approximately 82.5 miles by my avg speeds).
  • MA, that would roughly be my average ride speed and, coincidentally, also my longest distance to date.  I've been looking at Fink this past weekend and I think I'll probably manage to fit in one 100 miler, possibly two if I'm switched on. 

There is a 2 week taper in Fink's intermediate plan, which gives us 7 weekends after this weekend.  Factor in a half IM distance as a training run and that drops to 6. 

However, Fink also reduces the bike time from 5:30 at week 26 to 5:00 at week 27, 4:00 week 28, and 2:00 with a QC into a run at week 29.

If following to the letter then that only allows 4 weeks remaining to get a 100 miler or two done.  In my mind that's enough time, but I'll have to get off my arse and not leave it too late.

Hopefully a guardian angel will be along to advise us accordingly image

• Hi Vt'd - thanks for the reply! Glad someone else appears to be in a similar boat (I often wonder if I'm all alone!).

Looking quickly at the spreadsheet I'm thinking I'll take one of the 5.5 hour rides up to 100 miles (so roughly 6.5 hours). It'd probably be Week 26 unless I feel surprising good after the Half IM (which I've got pencilled in for Week 24).

The only other weekend that seems suitable for a 100 would be the Bank Holiday weekend (Week 23) for me. Might just have to play that one by ear a little. I know my father-in-law is attempting to stitch me up on a 100 mile nightride around that time, so two birds with one stone etc...

• Outlaw first-timer last year. I'd definitely push to get one or two 100+ rides in. I did loads of 75 - 90M rides last year but only two 100-mile rides. The step up from 75M to 100M was quite pronounced for me, especially in terms of nutrition; I could largely bungle through on energy drink & malt loaf up to 75 but got caught out when I tried that at 90+ miles. Needed a bit more science. Also on race day, I was fine and dandy up to 100M but then faded on the last 12 a bit. Part of that is because there were few spectators left on the stretch back into Nottingham on last year's route and I drifted off mentally, but I can't help but think that I'd trained my body to go 100M and it wasn't used to the extra 12%.
  • I was hoping to get two 100+ rides in, on week 26 and then as my last big ride in week 28. Then a two week taper. What do you think, too close to the event in week 28??

Interesting what you say about nutrition STIL, I am still mostly bungling through, I think I need to start being a bit more methodical about what I'm doing in training. Having a bit of malt loaf, or Eccles cake every now and again when I remember probably isn't good enough, and will come back to bite me big style on the longer distances.

• Thanks STIL.

I suppose another question to ask at this stage is if anyone is planning a recee of the course at any point? If you drop the 2nd lap of the 2nd loop how much shorter does that make the course?

I was semi thinking (although money may be an issue) or heading up to Nottingham at the end of next month (May). Not sure what training week that would be...