Options

Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Options

One of the biggest benefits of the training is that it opens up guilt-free access to delicacies like Eccles Cakes. I may try to fuel my next long ride on profiteroles.

As for the precise timing of the longest rides.... just stick them in somewhere near where the good Dr Fink suggests.

• Options

MA - I did a recee a couple of weeks ago and started at long Bennington, just off the A1.

It was easier transport wise and didnt need to know thye bit from HPP to the A46 as that will be staright forward

Starting at Long benninton we cycled the 2nd half of the 2nd lap, completed the first lap up oxton hill and in to Southwell then finished the 2nd lap, this completeing a lap of each

Total distance for a lap of each was 72 mile, if you started at HPP and added on the HPP to A46 it would probably be another 20 in total, i reckon a total of 92 mile.

I will definatly be going up at least a couple of times again, let me know if you firm any dates up.

• Options

I would like to do a course recee, think it will really help me on the day.

The final countdown is also cauisng me diary and logistcial turmoil. I ahve one century ride planned at the moment and want to squeeze another in as well. My longest to date is 80 and another 2 hours would have been possible but painful.

• Options
    I have the Chiltern Hundreds as my first 112 miler. Wondering whether I can manage that on the TT bike...
  • Options
    I have a 100miler planned in in June with 4 others from my Tri club that are also doing Outlaw but feeling that is not soon enough and should be doing one pretty soon.  Done some 70 and 80 milers and that extra is going to hurt.
  • Options

MT & JC (and any others) - what dates can you or can't you make for a possible recce?

I had pencilled in last weekend of May (the 26th rings a bell?) but need to check calendar at work. Only problem with that weekend is its the one after the DIY HM so I might be a bit tired. We could even add a little on to the circuit to make it a century ride?

What do people reckon? Any other takers?

• Options
    Cat5 - when is the Chilterns 112? And has it sold out?
  • Options
    I am thinking of going up that weekend for a recce with the hubby and possibly my training buddy.
  • Options
    MA - 27th May. And yes, it sold out (they may have space on the 30 miler). 4 laps, jus' sayin image
  • Options
    C100 sells out early but you may be able to swap a place

Cat ..I am no expert but I would say that a TT bike was not best placed in the Chilterns but I shall defer that to someone else   image
  • Options

I did think the Chiltern Hundreds wasn't for TT bikes, but seems silly to do the distance on something else.

I saw quite a few TT bikes on the Longest Day, though I doubt the course was as brutal.

• Options
    you can ride the chiltern 100 on a tri bike.......
    I've seen a few doing it

I seem to remember the ride blurb saying its not recommended and please don't ride on the bars in a pack, (duh)

however I was gonna bring mine. On the bsteep stuff just slap it into bottom gear and grind up the hills on the cow horns

oh and just so you know the C100 is tough - its about an hour longer than outlaw as the hills are a lot worse

There is also Flat out in the Fens - thats 2 weeks before Outlaw - perfect last blow out before the taper starts....... Good 112 miler thats perfect for cranking out the miles.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi,

I didnt know this forum thread existed ... so hi!

Over on tritalk there is a few people looking to recce the course and do the full 112 on 12th May if anyone fancied that. Im hopefully going to go then.

doddi
  • Options

Manchester Marathon for me yesterday. Cold, Wet & Windy!!

Mr plodder was concerned about my lack of specific mara training (my longest run this year has only been about 2hrs), so I told him I would run/walk as practise for Outlaw. In the end I ran the whole way, slow & steady and with virtually an even split (allowing for porta-loo breaks).image

Glad I did it though, got slightly stiff quads today, but other than that no adverse affects. I must admit though, at about 24 miles,I was thinking bloody hell, I can't imagine doing this after a 2 hour swim and an 8 hr bike ride image.

I've got an easy/low intensity few days planned, and then a longish (about 80 miles) bike ride scheduled for Friday. Hopefully my legs will have recovered by then.

How's everybody else's training going?

• Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Well done BB that last place at outlaw is definately mine.

What time did you do?
  • Options

Thanks TJ

I did 4hrs 43 mins. sp very pleased with that in bad conditions and no long runs to speak of. I guess the long  bike rides must have helped

Note I did say a 2hr swim and an 8 hr bike !! I'm still on for the 16:59 slot imageimage

• Options
    Fantastic stuff BB.

I had a cancelled sprint tri on Sunday, so spent an hour on the spinning bike in the gym instead. Gentle spin / brick session planned for tonight, and then just mapped out an 80 mile route to do tomorrow (time off in lieu from working over the weekend).

After that, training might go a little on the back foot for the rest of the week as I've an exam on Friday morning. image

Finally, I'm still planning on doing the course recce on either the 26th or 27th of May if anyone else is up for it? Might start its own thread after the exam is out the way to see if I can get some numbers up! image
  • Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    BB with marathon times like that you will be in the 15hours.

did you take on nutrition whilst doing it? and did it work?

managed 56 miles on turbo saturday, family day yesterday (as they have been getting fed up with the lack of dad around!!!) 2 hour run tonight.

signed up for the castle 100 on 20 may to get the 100 ride out of the way, but will be on the road bike not TT as the hills are to much on the TT.
  • Options
    Shame about your sprint tri being cancelled Movingalong, I think there were quite a few events called off yesterday.

I might be up for a recce that weekend. I'll just have to clear it at home, I must admit I'm feeling a bit guilty at the moment. Outlaw/tri stuff seems to be taking over completely. Having said that the kids are very excited about a camping trip to Nottingham and they love the pirate hoodies and T shirts I've got them.

Good luck with your exam!!

TJ, I did practise my fuelling at the mara, I had a gel every 45 mins and had mostly water from feed stations, but did have two bottles of sports drink, one each half basically. It seemed to work for me, no gastric issues and I didn't "hit the wall"

Sounds like everybody's getting some good long rides in, I have neglected my bike a bit the last two weekends, mara this one and a sprint tri weekend before. As soon as my legs recover I'll get back out for a long ride, hopefully Friday. I've already booked 31st May off work, that's going to be the day of my first 100miler!!!
  • Options

bburn plodder, well done on your marathon. It is great news and puts you in great shape.

I know what you mean about the Outlaw take over. Good idea about using holidays for long bikes, i think i will do the same as I miss the family too much,

• Options
    I decided a couple of months ago that I would use annual leave once the long rides started to get 4 hours + . All the family have been really supportive, but I don't want to push it to a point where we are all sick of it, and I miss spending time with my kids at the weekend.

I can manage to fit all the other sessions in, with 5am starts when everybody's in bed, lunchtimes and a bit of weekend!! It must be working, my eldest has recently asked if there are any junior tri clubs she could join!!!!
  • Options

Good time juggling and your situation sounds similar to my own. My eldest is 5 and looks out for me to get back from a ride to do running races. Painful but fun brickimage

Like the idea of your team pirate kit.. May have to copy that oneimage

• Options

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Any chance of some assistance and advice? Outlaw's my first IM and training is going well. This past fortnight I am wobbling majorly and doubting Our Lord Fink's Plan.

I'm following the Just Finish plan with more Intermediate length long bike at the weekend. Over the Peak period I have 2 100 miler's and 2 70 milers planned as well as the Beaver as a trial run. I've already an 80 miler and a 60 miler done and a (slow, 02:15) Wilmslow Half Mara done.

The probem is, the training is in the bank but just don't 'feel' trained enough to do it. 

Do I trust in the plan or up the hours?

Thanx in advance.

• Options

Hi bez_za, I'm in the same boat as you, in that Outlaw is my first.

So really I'm in no position to give advice, but I can sympathise with how you feel.

I must admit I don't feel like I'm training particularly hard, each individual session feels easy to easyish and I'm not feeling particularly tired on a day to day basis. (My only problem is the logistics of fitting everything in with a fulltime job and family).

Your training sounds bang on track, and with 2 x 100 miles, 2 x 70 miles and Beaver all coming up, I think you will be absolutely fine.

So from one novice to another, Trust the Plan!! image

Hopefully some wise old experienced IM will come along and agree image

• Options

imageimage Wise? Where's rose and FB when you need then.

For what it's worth everyone wibbles trust in the plan keep carm and carry on. Oh and

bburn plodder wrote (see)

Thanks TJ

I did 4hrs 43 mins. sp very pleased with that in bad conditions and no long runs to speak of. I guess the long  bike rides must have helped

Note I did say a 2hr swim and an 8 hr bike !! I'm still on for the 16:59 slot imageimage

Chuck that was the worst conditions I have ever seen a marathon run in and I would have pulled out if I had been able to because the cold distroyed me. Very well done! If you can do that in hail, gail force winds, snow and rain that was almost good enouth to swim in then outlaw will be a peice of p*ss image
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Hi

Just dropping in to ask if anyone has a detailed map or better still a garmin file for the outlaw bike route. My relay mate SteadySteve is planning on trying it out on Saturday and do 2 loops, just to get a feel for it. Otherwise it will be a handwritten note stuck to the bike to save him keeping stopping and looking at a basic map.

• Options
    Sorry CJ, don't have one.

Thanks Cake!! It was pretty brutal wasn't it!!! I was still shaking for about an hour after, just couldn't get warm all day, even with about a dozen cups of tea. I just wanted it to be over as fast as possible.

It was great to meet you and the legendary Plodding Hippo!!
  • Options

Hello fellow wobblers. image

It is just sooooooo scary. Even when training is going well the whole IM distances still seem insane. My biggest worry is the run. Longest to date is 2 hrs 30 and need to start cranking up.

• Options
    Cake wrote (see)

For what it's worth everyone wibbles trust in the plan keep carm and carry on.

Hi Cake. Have been missing you, glad your back.image