Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• bezza

depends on where you are....

if you are truly 'just finishing' then those planned rides will be tough but good to do.
    Anything over will maybe be too much.

a 6 hr ride on Sunday followed by a normal training week is what you are aiming for....
    A 6 hr ride that destroys you and means no training the following week means the 6 hr ride was too much......

If you are finding the training easy, then you can always go longer on the long ride, or add a second medium ride mid week, (up to 3 hrs)

• muffin top wrote (see)

Hello fellow wobblers. image

It is just sooooooo scary. Even when training is going well the whole IM distances still seem insane. My biggest worry is the run. Longest to date is 2 hrs 30 and need to start cranking up.

2.5hrs is just fine for long runs, you really dont want to be doing muh more than that IMO
  • muffin top wrote (see)

Hello fellow wobblers. image

It is just sooooooo scary. Even when training is going well the whole IM distances still seem insane. My biggest worry is the run. Longest to date is 2 hrs 30 and need to start cranking up.

I wobble on a daily basis about the swim and about every other day about the bike image
  • I always 'wobble'. Even for my HIM on Sunday where i have covered all the distances I am still very nervous. Keep going!

Watched an interesting youtube clip from thetraithloncoach where he suggests that a 2hr30 run should be the longest you do.

My longest is 2hours so far. Im of the opinion that once I am that far into the Outlaw determination will see me through to the end. Am planning one 3hr run as Fink suggests but definitely no more!

• Do you think you're likely to run the full IM marathon?

Be honest with yourself, if you're following a "just finish" schedule then you're likely looking at something along the lines of a 1.5 hr swim,  8 hr bike and 6 hr marathon - add in 30 minutes worth of faff and you have 16 hours.

So  your pace for a 6hr marathon is somewhere along the lines of 13 1/2 minute miles - walking at average pedestrian pace is under 8.5 hours for a marathon.

So if the Outlaw is your A race and you're likely to to be run / walking - then you should train run / walk for your long runs - a 4 or 5 hour brisk hike is probably better specific training to be honest.

Personally I'd spend as much time as you can on the bike and wouldn't worry about the run as if you come off the big totally fkd you'll hardly run a step. Come off OK then you can run walk the whole thing or ifnot the whole marathon, a lot more than you would being a fit runner and unfit biker.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    +1 with Mr Fegan

too many people do too many long runs for IM training - you don't need to as most IM I've ever seen/met will have a walk at some point. some will walk a lot of it frankly - I saw one last year at IM Wales who probably walked the whole way. OK she wasn't strolling along but I never saw her running at all.

focus on getting the bike leg sorted and do some brick sessions so you know how the legs feel running after a long bike - you'll get more benefit from that than just knocking out long runs
  • image image

bburn plodder wrote (see)
    Sorry CJ, don't have one. Thanks Cake!! It was pretty brutal wasn't it!!! I was still shaking for about an hour after, just couldn't get warm all day, even with about a dozen cups of tea. I just wanted it to be over as fast as possible. It was great to meet you and the legendary Plodding Hippo!!

image It was fantastic to see you and hippo she's a star. That was the worse conditions I've ever ran that distance in and I'm including doing races in places like Newcastle in Dec in that. Only reason I didn't give up at 21 miles was I couldn't see a sweeper bus. image

• Do not panic trust the Fink i did both my first 2 IM s sticking to Fink probably managed 90% of the sessions but nailed most of the key sessions my goal was to complete number 1 with a smile on my face and cracked it in 13:30 ish with gas left in the tank upped the game for the 2nd and came in 12:40 ish

You have gotta trust your training plan
    As others have mentioned 2,5 is about right as a max long run i may do the odd 3 hour one as you can recover well and carry on trsining anything over that may fry you for a few days and lead to muscular tears and niggles which may take a while to bounce back from the bueaty of Fink for a 1st timer is that he does all the work for you the only thing he cant do is the mental game hence the wibbles take it from all of us who have done a few its a perfectly doable event andvif you pace your first one right you will have a greatcday image
  • Thanks all. I am no runner with no running background and the marathon does spook me.

My long runs in training have all been 9 min run 1 min walk. I am guessing in the day the walk part will increase and I may even start out more conservative. Is this something you would advocate playing around with in training or stick to 9/1 on the day for as long as possible.

Enjoying cycling and will try and squeeze as many miles in as possible.

• image Just don't worry about the running worst comes to the worst I have the benny hill music on my phone. Me, SA and Max can run behild you on the run route that will motivate you? image

• MT ... start with a R/W schedule that you can maintain  once you start chopping & changing it can have a negative impact psychologically ... if you have to change then change up and not down.   Personally I would favour the 4/1 for a marathon

(if you look at Galloways website he gives that ratio as the best for longer marathon times)

• How long you run in training is dependent on how run fit you are.

If you can run 3 hours and still train the next day then go for it. If it wipes you out for a week then its not worth it.

Consistency is where the biggest gains come from, continual feast and famine will give poor results.

As for plans - any plan will give you gains, regardless of how crap, if you're training consistently up until you've got a few years under your belt and pushing the pointy end.

• Okay - I kind of need some advice - please be kind if what I am thinking is insane. I was training as normal till beg of Feb, got ill and missed 2 weeks.  Did 2 weeks proper training, got ill missedd 3 weeks then went on 2 week holiday in ridiculous heat. Came home jet lagged and still a bit ill and got back into things that weekend.  So missed in total 7 weeks training (but did do some training in between so it wasn't 7 weeks with nothing at all)

I was going to pull out, BUT, have managed to get 2 weeks of proper training under my belt without relapsing into illness, so assuming I am now healthy......

I haven't done much swimming yet - but to be honest it is my easiest sport  - I can just do it without trying and the first swim I did after a 16 year break was 1 mile front crawl in about 45 mins... So I know I have work to do here after a 2 month break but it doesn't freak me out as much as the run and of course the bike.

So, last week was a 60 miler in 4 hours followed the next day by 10 mile in 90m mins.  

A week of training as per fink

This weekend, a 72 miler in just over 5 hours yesterday followed by 13 miles today in just over 2 hours (slowest run in years for me - I did feel tired I must admit).

so, looking at fink's plan I kind of feel I am back where I should be kind of.  Am I insane to think I can go ahead and do Outlaw this year?

(please be kind, I am changing my mind hourly on this and I have till next Monday to send off the pull-out letter. Folks in my tri-club think I am mad because they do IM in 11 hours or under and think that doing it to just finish won't be much fun)

• If you have until Monday week then do another week on Fink and see how you fair
    Its all about the recovery at this stage, if you cant recover enough to do the following week then youmay find yourself back at square one

You can but try   image

• Option B of course is to do a relay instead ... there is someone looking to do the run ?  That could be more than doable for you

• I have done a lot of marathons so to be honest not really wanting to do another marathon without the fun stuff first image

• Got an 80 mile sportive this weekend so if I can still run the next day - does that mean I 'might' be okay?    By recovery do you mean my health or being training fit enough to keep training?

• Both really, you cant have either without the other   image

• Good luck Gym Addict. As a newbie, I cant help although I wish I could run like youimage

Thaks for the marathion run advice and, tried out 4:1 yesterday. Seemed to work in that legs were trired but functioned on the bike today.

• 4:1 is the dogs danglies image

• Gym Addict, I'm as inexperienced as the other newbies on here, perhaps even more so, therefore I cannont offer technical advice or a eureka insight. 

But I do know what I'd want to do if I was as close to a decision as you and especially if I was feeling ok.  I don't know your illness or what it might take out of you, but I personally think I'd like to do it. 

Given that you feel ok and that you have a long training session coming up, I'd make the decision based on my recovery after that.  If I could slot straight into a normal week's training after my rest period then I'd looking to be on the boat.

Only you can know how you feel and my ignorant thought process isn't worth a shit when it comes down to it.

• GA
    If you are enjoying the training you are doing then crack on......image
    If you are hating it then........image

If you are getting ill again then your body is telling you something.image  - Health comes first - its only a race after all.

At the end of the day you can swim a bit, bike a bit then run a bit.  If you need to pull out at some point then so be it........ 

Just coz others you know do it in sub 11 takes nothing away from the achievement you should feel on doing the event. 

You can also think of it as a learning experience... give it a go, back off if you get ill, but tuen up and experience it even if you know / think you are not gonna finnish,

• Hey all - just catching up. As per my last post - exam and work life overtook almost everything last week. Got my big workouts in, and training resumed yesterday.

Bez_za - I'm going through exactly the same wibbles as yourself (and I'm doing Just Round, pinching long rides and runs for Intermediate). Guess just have faith in the plan and all will be right on the day!

Was it OC that said about getting an extra 'medium' ride in the middle of the week - might pinch this and start doing it from next week.

• Did a 60 miler in Polocini's The B*Stard yesterday in 5 hours, 6 hours if we count the two punctures and associated fathing, must remember to check the tyre for debris. Absolutely outstanding organisation and scenery. Would definatly recommend a Polocini Sportive. Managed a 1 hour run today, long walk with the family and finally mowing the lawn/jungle.

Wobbles subsiding a little, so thanks all for the advice. I think I'm getting to point now that even if the worst does happen at The Outlaw the strides I've made so far this year are all worth it anyway (2 and a half stone shifted), I'll give it my all but there's always next year. It's all about the journey.

GA- If you can complete the training week as scheduled comfortably, crack on. I am a total amateur noob though.

Pennington Flash tomorrow for a dip.

• comfortable is such a relative word....

• More wibbles/advice needed

Training had been going well. All the sessions completed as per Fink intermediate plan. then after the olympic weekend developed a bit of achilles tendonitis. I have played it safe and hardly run since. When I did run last week the tendonitis was not as bad but it was still there so I went to see the physio on Saturday who seems confident that it can be sorted before race day but is still advising no running. Swimming and biking are still OK and have still managed 12hours of training in each of the last two weeks. So the question is if as seems likely I don't do much or hardly any running before race day is it still possible to complete the IM run? Or am I fooling myself that I can still complete the race.

Your wise words will be welcomed

• R/W is your man

yes its possible but it wont be comfortable image

• Thats sort of what I was expecting to hear Meldy

I wasn't expecting to break any records (except maybe my own). Just so annoying as everything had been going so well. Really don't want to pull out and its probably a bit early for that as yet but after 5 hours on the bike today mulling it over I felt I needed to ask.