Fink for Outlaw 2012

1414243444547»

Comments

• M...eldy wrote (see)

4:1 is the dogs danglies image

Nothing about running or walking is the dogs danglies. But finishing will beimage

bez_za wrote (see)

. I think I'm getting to point now that even if the worst does happen at The Outlaw the strides I've made so far this year are all worth it anyway (2 and a half stone shifted), I'll give it my all but there's always next year. It's all about the journey

+1 from me. Great work Bezza

• bez_za

you are totally right - the journey is sooooo important.

when things get tough (and they do - its an ironman and if they / the training was easy everyone would be doing one) it can be helpful to remember where you have come from, and where you are now.

I guess you have 7 weeks till outlaw....?

So thats 5 weeks of solid training followed by 2 weeks of a taper.

This is when those 3 hr rides / the last 20 weeks you have been doing start to pay off - when you do the longer rides over the next few weeks you will surprise yourself. Even if you feel like crap you will be out on the bike for way longerthan you thought possible when you started. All the work you are doing now effects the body.....

So, get the remaining 5 weeks done, done and you will surprise your self on race day

in the mean time you will get tired, you will be CBA, you will be cranky, and wonder WTF you are doing.

However, just remember how much you like what your body can now do.

- a 30 min easy run seems like a rest, (or if ired a marathon in its own right!)

- a 2 hour easy bike is hardly worth getting changed for..... bet it didn't feel like that in January

a 30 min swim now means a good warmup.....
  • OC, just read your post and boy you are so right!!  I can tell you have done this before.

I've been doing 3 hr bikes regularly and did 5 hrs on Saturday, wondering how I was going to get it done and as you said, I surprised myself with how "easy" it really felt.  Nothing hurt, although the last half hour was tough as rode past the house but I got it done in the piddling rain.  I am tired, I am cranky and wonder WTF but I go out in all weathers.....where has the woman gone that didn't want to go out in the rain and I now just get on with it.

It's good to look back and see how things have changed and although I am tired and I am cranky, I am still loving the fact that I can do this stuff. image

It also helps that hubby has had realised that I am doing this stuff with or without the hassle given and now do it hassle free and with full support and encouragement from him and the kids.  It was my eldest's 19th on Saturday and I had planned in the 5 hr bike.  I offered to go late if she wanted a lie in but didn't want to miss training and she said she would get up early so I could go at 7am.......now that's a shocker cos she loves her bed.  She said she knew how important this freaky ironman stuff was too me.  How things change. image

• Good family support Saffers. Must be so encouraging sitting on your bile knowing everyone back home is so supporting. I am lucky in that way and hope I am not taking too much for granted.

OC, wise sage! image Did a 6 mile run today and felt short changed. In November that would have half killed me and the rain would have stopped me going. Things are a changing for the better.

• Its fun when 10k becomes a recovery run !!

• I've not always been lucky with that support unfortunately and use to go out on a slammed front door and come back to grumps.  So at the moment I realise how lucky I am that the support and the pride in what I am achieving is there when I get back from a long wet training session.  I just have to keep reminding myself that I am lucky. image

Meldy......I can't see running ever being easy. image

• Relatively Saffers, relativelyimage

• image  Looking forward to it then.

• Everybody is sounding really upbeat and positive, which is great.image

I have turned my ankle, which is now all swollen and sore, so no running for me. I did it exaclty a week ago, and it's still not going down, but I'm trying not to panic about the lack of running. It's the one thing I am "relatively" confident about.

I think it's no co-incidence that I did it 2 days after my marathon, I suspect that it was a still a bit fragile, and what would have been a little innocuous turn has blown up into a proper injury. Ah well, it's my own fault, I knew I was taking a chance running a marathon at this stage in IM training.

Luckily it doesn't affect my swimming or biking, so I am cracking on with the  training.image.

A question about the bike. Fink works on time and has the longest rides at 5hrs 30mins. I am OK doing that length of ride, and it's not knackering me out and I am finishing feeling strong (albeit numb image), but I'm not covering anything like the mileage we will need to do on the day.

At the weekend my 5hr ride only covered 67 miles. What should I do? Up the mileage or stick to the plan? At the speed I'm riding it will take 7 - 8 hours to cover 100miles??

• So with a 2 hour swim 8 hour bike you still have 6 hours in the bag BB to walk/jog /stagger the mara i would just carry on with the plan i presume its your first so the overall aim should be to toe the line injury free and finish in the cut off starting big increases in mileage as a panic may end in injury and no race
  • I would add as well between 7 and 8 is a big time window and a big speed difference ... I would be inclined to slowly increase above Finks plan personally but then that is why I dont do Finks plan image

I dont think there is the need to go over the 100 on any plan and especially if that is going to take you over the 7hour mark but (in your position) I may be inclined to to do a 6 1/2 or even a 7 hour bike

Max is right with his time estimations but that doesnt give much leaway if you ar bang up to all those time lines ... I know, i've been on the wrong side of them !!

• I was thinking of doing just one 100 miler at the end of May (I've booked a day's leave in anticipation) . Perhaps I could increase the lengths of the rides a little as Meldy suggests, and build up to that. For confidence as much as anything.

My plan was to head off towards some flatter terrain for that, and hopefully I may be a bit quicker on the flat, unfortunately where I ride is pretty hilly.

• Ahh there you go if you live and train in a hilly area (as i do) be prepared to be pleasantlty suprised by outlaw its flat and fast

Doing the odd long session on a flat area is not a bad idea though as my hamstrings were in bits at the end of Outlaw as i wasnt used to a steady effort on the big ring

A one off 100 miler is a good mental milestone if you have not cracked a century before just forget time take it steady and do the distance
  • Ridgebackmax - big ring, that's the thing I only use on the turbo image

• Max.... Great advice as always, nursing a pulled calf muscle at the moment so no running since last Wed but no too worried as I think my run is ok and it gives me more time to get out on the bike. Got my first OW swim of the season on Thur at Salford Quays, 10.5 deg it was bloody freezing so only managed40 mins. Happy training everyone.image
  • BB outlaws that flat i dont think i got out of the big ring ( i did the 1st Outlaw i beleive it has changed course slightly but its not a hilly region and the runs a pancake too
  • Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    BB outlaws that flat i dont think i got out of the big ring ( i did the 1st Outlaw i beleive it has changed course slightly but its not a hilly region and the runs a pancake too

image I't flat there is only one hill in the area which there has been talk of being on the route (havn't checked it yet) But that is more of a speed bump than anything.

• Ok guys ,I'm out of Outlaw came off my bike last night and I've broken my leg an dislocated my ankle so looks lIke I'll be supporting you lot, totally gutted.
  • marshallinimarshallini ✭✭✭

Gutted for you Razor51 - hope it mends quick.

• Really bad luck Razor. Get well soon,

I have heard that is a very painful injury. image

• Flipping bracket for my water bottle has broken again...I think somebody is trying to tell me something!