Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Orange.C is that bike 5 hours? image In week 1?  I think I am going to get a shock with this training thing. image
  • Like Steady, think I'll attempt to get organised from next week and start making sure I'm covering the session during the week.

Because my swimming is crap think Monday might not be a full rest day as I've got access to tri squad coaching on a Monday morning. Cardiff half this weekend so will be knackered, but will be doing my utmost to make it to the pool on Monday!

*gets spreadsheet out to make up a plan for next week*
  • I found starting getting back into the routine of training for a few weeks before I started week one really helped.  Btw, remember it's inevitable you will miss some sessions for whatever reasons. Just make sure you prioritise the key ones. image

I think it's all good to record in some what what you've done so you can look back in x weeks time and look how far you've come. 

• On your comment chilibean on heart rate yes it really works you dont need anything flashy just something that tells you how fast your heart is beating.

Start with max 220 minus your age and work off that in Finks book it gives you a work out to get a slightly more accurate figure the whole idea is if you dont over work your heart each time you go out it will get fitter it is amazing how slow you have to run at the start but equally amazing how quick your pace picks up as your heart gets fitter. I have used one for years and have managed to fit 6 days in and feel reasonable at the end of the week.

• Chilibean - just to agree with pcphil, I started doing HR training at the start of this year for running. Its amazing how slow paced runs are when actually in the recovery zone. Touch wood I've not got injured this year, and I put a lot of that down to the HR training. (Whereas previous I probably did too many miles at too fast a pace)
  • OC thats a big week to start a 30 week proram i would be burnt out by week 15 for sure image respect!
  • Hi, mind if I join in image

I'm planning on roughly doing the Fink intermediate plan.

I've already started sort of doing some stuff, i'm doing about 7-8 hrs per week, plus 2 weights/gym sessions. Its working out at 2 swims, three bikes & three runs.

I've also signed up for a spring marathon (Manchester), so I'm a bit confused on how that'll work for training, but I think i'll worry about it after Christmas.

• pcphil wrote (see)

Start with max 220 minus your age and work off that in Finks book it gives you a work out to get a slightly more accurate figure the whole idea is if you dont over work your heart each time you go out it will get fitter it is amazing how slow you have to run at the start but equally amazing how quick your pace picks up as your heart gets fitter. I have used one for years and have managed to fit 6 days in and feel reasonable at the end of the week.

Please please dont use the 220 minus your age ... RPE is much better if you dont know exact figures, using an inaccurate formula can have you working in the wrong zones, admittedly for some it works but they are very much in the minority
  • Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Good stuff TJ - I'm still dithering. I want to but my finger won't quite press the submit button.  I'm using to cost of aero bars/swimming lessons etc as an excuse but with the entry price going up soon I'm going to have to follow your lead pretty sharpish I think.

If you enter your going to find your motivation will increase quite a lot quite quickly kiddo.
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Saffers - You didn't when you first got them though!  Glad and reassured that you like them now. You've got the flappy spring up pads ones haven't you.  Do they rattle?  Reviews say they do.

I'm in Brighton as well and don't know what to do.  All the people who know what they are talking about say a marathon and IM is too much. But I like Brighton marathon. image

Just treat Brighton as a training run and Outlaw as your A race next year. You probably won't PB at brighton if you do that but you will enjoy it. I'm probably going to be doing Manchester marathon as well if that helps but got to work it round some sort of wedding and stuff first. image
  • Saffers
    I did an IM 4 weeks ago - I already have the endurance. If you are building up from scratch then start at 2 hrs.
    I was surprised at the 5 hr ride but I need to train over winter so I think its a case of getting as many big rides in before the weather breaks

RBM
    I keep my basic week the same but the runs will go to 45 mins, with one becoming a long run. ....
    Also most of the bikes are commuting so the distance is low. It's not as scary as it looks on paper.
  • Cake - thanks.  I will enter  next week when some money goes into my account. You are right, it will focus me and I don't want to pay extra in November either.   I'm up for this. image As for Brighton, well I think I'm going to be supporting cos my running won't have got up to regular 18 milers by then and don't want to get injured or miss bike training from recovering.  And I'm doing as I'm told. image

• Thanks Cake, I don't think I will be pushing too hard at Brighton but it will be a PB as I have never done a marathon before.  Saying that, I am still rather worried about the longer runs.

Orange.C....2hr bike  tomorrow for this little learner. image  Then 10mile run Sunday. image

• 8 mile run this Sunday. Last in the marathon taper. I'll be glad to get the thing out the way!

Went out on the bike at lunch to drop my expenses off. Rode the big ring all the way (apart from the Cat5 hill on the way home).The new saddle felt good, and generally enjoyed the sunshine.

Happy with that!

• Hi Peeps this is my very first post on here.

I have a friend who has entered outlaw 2012 already and i really want to enter myself BUT my problem is that i have a family holiday booked from June 6th - 20th and im worried about my taper being too long.

I can run and swim while I'm there no problem but will not be able to bike (don't think the wife would be too happy if i took it lol).

Any advice would be grateful image

• Hello Simon, i reckon Meldy will be able to help you out...she knows everything...so i'll wait for her to come along.
  • Simon if nothing else the overriding emphasis on training for long distance Tri is to have the support and backing of all the family,  if you are confident in your biking then taking 2 weeks out that close to the event could be ok with a few sharpeners on your return
    The ideal would be to be able to get at least one long one in and use week 2 as a set back week

That said if you are a weak cyclist then you will need all the weeks you can get   image

FF ... RTFP  image

• Hi

Yes i could do running and swimming no problem just no biking.

Do you think nearly a month of taper is too much though?

• No idea what your talking about....image
  • Simon if nothing else the overriding emphasis on training for long distance Tri is to have the support and backing of all the family,  if you are confident in your biking then taking 2 weeks out that close to the event could be ok with a few sharpeners on your return
    The ideal would be to be able to get at least one long one in and use week 2 as a set back week

That said if you are a weak cyclist then you will need all the weeks you can get   image

FF ... RTFP  image

• Has your computer got a stutter or have forgotten you posted this already due to your advancing years??

• Technology is ganging up on me this week

I am going to resort to writing my replied by post (the old fashioned kind)
  • Thanks for the advice M...eldy really appreciate it.

I completed a 50 mile bike ride the other week in just over 3 hours but we didn't go for time just the distance.

That's quite reasonable isn't it??

• That's overtrained....image
  • yeah you're probably right...

Decisions , decisions, decisions???

• 50 miles in 3 hours is good

The point being if you are looking (potentially) at a 4 week taper or at least 4 to 5 weeks from the last long ride is this the best way to reach your goal? 

Its not an easy decision to make at this stage as you dont know how your training will go, you dont know what injuries you will pick up in March or June but what you can do is maximise the time that you have and not to plan in too many distractions or ommitances  image
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Blimey, a week away from the forum and look what happens! What an exciting thread! Nice one Chili.

Well, I was going to do Outlaw, and had grand plans about how I would fit it all in and was very excited. Then I was talking to a friend about it and I was remembering how much I didn't enjoy training for the bike for my half tri in July and how miserable I was during the bike in the event itself... And knowing that I would have to spend A LOT of time on the bike to do myself any justice, I have decided to opt out.

I am still thinking about relay and finding someone else to do my bike leg for me, because I really do want to do this at some point. But my cycling isnt strong enough at the moment, and I would be forcing myself out, and I don't think I need that extra pressure jn my life at the moment. I have only been in my current job for 6 months and want to commit to that for a while I think.

I need to keep reminding myself that I got into tri to get back my fitness, as I was struggling to get back into running after 2-3 years of off-on training. I think I am back where I want to be in that respect (doing Cardiff half tomorrow too!) and having had Outlaw in my head, I will be working toward a marathon now. Having the freedom to focus on running (and the belief that I can be a machine if I put my mind to it) I might do three next year.... Great Welsh in Llanelli in April, Outlaw run leg in July, and maybe another in Autumn.

So, (sorry for long rambljng message!) I'm in, but only to hear the stories of how it really is, to prepare me for iron distance training 2013 maybe....
  • JEvans - if you don't enjoy biking I think you've made the right decision.  The only thing I would add is to ask what sort of bike have you got?  I didn't start to really enjoy biking (and I mean really really enjoy) till I got my road bike as opposed to a hybrid.  I might be wrong but I think you mentioned you are riding a hybrid at the mo?  Just something to bear in mind for the future thats all and good luck with the rest of your training.   I think a relay option might be good for you, (or helping at the feed station of course).   image

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Thanks Soupy. Yes, I'm on a hybrid... And missed out on a free road bike the other week. I am hopeful that a roadbike will help my enthusiasm, but I also know I will want to invest in a new one too and we don't have anywhere to keep multiple bikes and I want to spend my money on running kit next year I think. I easily spent £300 + on swim and bike this year.